Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cicero posted:

Amazon has been steadily adding things to Amazon Prime, it's not super surprising that they're raising the price. At some point I imagine they'll split it into tiers.

I hope that they do, because the constant increases are getting tiresome, especially in light of how obscenely profitable and huge they are. I only use Prime for the shipping and could not give less of a gently caress about anything else that it includes.

boner confessor posted:

if you own a few mcd's franchises you basically are just printing money

Nice that someone's making bank, because the employees can't afford even the essentials. I wonder why that is... oh, wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JustJeff88 posted:

Nice that someone's making bank, because the employees can't afford even the essentials. I wonder why that is... oh, wait.

Plenty of fast food restaurants close, even the big ones. From 2015: https://www.wpxi.com/news/mcdonalds-close-900-stores-amid-falling-profits/46306821

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

baquerd posted:

Plenty of fast food restaurants close, even the big ones. From 2015: https://www.wpxi.com/news/mcdonalds-close-900-stores-amid-falling-profits/46306821

Wasn't this from before they went to their absurdly popular all day breakfast menu? Plus, I don't think bc's point was really that McDonald's can't fail ever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JustJeff88 posted:

in the year 2018, a goon in d&d is quick to point out that owners of the means of production benefit unfairly from the exploitation of labor. this post is expected to be regarded as timely, and insightful

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I remember when Subway started offering toasted sandwiches to compete with places like Quiznos that toast their sandwiches by default. Then the Subway Brain Trust said “poo poo, what else can we toast in this thing? How about pizza?”

Nobody wanted that dang pizza.

I'm always impressed when a company manages to make pizza people will not eat.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

icantfindaname posted:

I've seen several libertarian-y people say that these tech companies aren't really monopolies because they're not raising prices, standard economic theory says monopolies should raise prices above market value. Well, now the monopoly rents are flowing, this should end any doubt about these companies' nature

I'm curious, what is the market rate for a streaming service that also offers unlimited 2-day shipping on drat near anything?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Baronash posted:

I'm curious, what is the market rate for a streaming service that also offers unlimited 2-day shipping on drat near anything?

Nice try, Jeff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fame Douglas posted:

Nice try, Jeff.

Beat me to it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

$99/year I think

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

withak posted:

$99/year I think

120 a year in the very near future.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

120 a year in the very near future.

Actually, the strong, caring hand of the free market will pull forth an alternative to fill in the $99 price point when that happens.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I used to work down the block from the original Subway location. It's still there and is still a Subway. I'd get lunch there sometimes.

That's my take on Subway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Minenfeld! posted:

I used to work down the block from the original Subway location. It's still there and is still a Subway. I'd get lunch there sometimes.

That's my take on Subway.

Everyone can have their own opinion, but even I have been kind of bumfuzzled by the hatred for Subway in this thread. I would never nominate them for King o' Sandwiches, but I've been known to enjoy one on the odd occasion. I'm always open to suggestions on new things to try, but I think that they might be guilty of the wonderful "popular=bad" phenomenon.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The problem with Subway is that it's aggressively mediocre. They'd be totally forgettable if they weren't literally everywhere.

However every Subway on the planet is basically the same. It's the same level of mediocrity everywhere you go. I can't help but assuming that even international Subways have almost exactly the same stuff. That's the appeal to a lot of people; it's comfortable. You know what you're getting when you walk into every Subway that exists.

People tend to hate them because of that mediocrity. Anywhere that there's a Subway you can probably walk fifteen feet and get something way better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think Subway is just okay. I think most food is just okay. Some food is really bad and some food is great, but most of it is just okay.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

As someone who lives next to a gas station with deli counter

subway, more like subhumanway

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Back in the 90s, Subway was markedly less gross than the fast food burger joints. People thought it was healthier, too, since those were the "dietary fat is bad, fat-free is good" days. Since then, we've gotten spoiled - fast casual, McD's giving a poo poo about quality, foodie gastropubs on every corner.

I remember grabbing a Subway sub on the way back from work a few years ago. This was in a moderately high CoL urban center. The lady in front of me asked for everything on her $5 footlong. I mean everything. Oil, Ranch, Mayo, Southwest dressing, basically optimizing for calorie density. Makes sense, really - I imagine she only received a low wage and didn't have much time to cook.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can't help but assuming that even international Subways have almost exactly the same stuff.

Not really. In my experience Subways in other countries tend to have much smaller menus and usually at least a few sandwiches that you’re not going to see here. And even for the common sandwiches there’s usually a local twist to them.

Hilariously, Subway in Sweden does not offer meatball subs.

e: Same applies for a lot of fast food restaurants, really. The chicken at KFC in England is absolutely nothing like what you get in the States. And they don’t have mashed potatoes or potato wedges or mac and cheese.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 5, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Subway sandwiches are like edible white noise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has subway actually gotten way worse in the last 10 years or are we just all mostly not teens anymore? I remember it was perfectly acceptable or even good, I'd look forward to getting a tuna melt on they day it was half price. Haven't eaten there in years but everyone I knew at about the same time just suddenly realized it made them feel awful and was disgusting.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Baronjutter posted:

Has subway actually gotten way worse in the last 10 years or are we just all mostly not teens anymore? I remember it was perfectly acceptable or even good, I'd look forward to getting a tuna melt on they day it was half price. Haven't eaten there in years but everyone I knew at about the same time just suddenly realized it made them feel awful and was disgusting.

I'm fairly sure the whole "everything is turkey" shtick is less than a decade old.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Subways seems to me to be exactly what I remember it as like 20 years ago. Even the buildings are the same; there's just more of them now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

I would say the main thing turning people off the Subway brand is more that whole thing where the public face of it turned out to be a huge child molestor who's now in jail.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fishmech posted:

I would say the main thing turning people off the Subway brand is more that whole thing where the public face of it turned out to be a huge child molestor who's now in jail.

this, also proliferation of other chains like jimmy johns is expanding like crazy here in california. and lots of fast-cas options

also i do think they're worse quality now, or maybe i just care more. but having a bunch of sad wilted translucent poo poo produce is god-awful and always seems to be the case the very rare time i have gone. plus after working above a subway, their smell is loving nauseating and permeates everything which is like some instinctive taste-aversion thing now

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

It hasn't been a good decade to have the name "Jared" or really any name that sounds close to it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm pretty sure their sandwiches are softer and damper than they used to be, especially compared to Jimmy John's, which uses bread that holds up and ingredients that taste like something. Every time I get a Subway sandwich it looks like someone ran it over.

edit: I can't remember the last time I had a subway sandwich that didn't look like this:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 5, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JustJeff88 posted:

Everyone can have their own opinion, but even I have been kind of bumfuzzled by the hatred for Subway in this thread. I would never nominate them for King o' Sandwiches, but I've been known to enjoy one on the odd occasion. I'm always open to suggestions on new things to try, but I think that they might be guilty of the wonderful "popular=bad" phenomenon.

Not my fault every thing is low effort and overpriced.

Like 8 dollars for a half rear end turkey sandwich lol.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People tend to hate them because of that mediocrity. Anywhere that there's a Subway you can probably walk fifteen feet and get something way better.

No, there's hardly any Quizno's around here anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Subway would be fine if the sandwich content wasn't contained between the worst bread ever. The bread alone brings it down to aggressively mediocre.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=035.jpg

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 5, 2018

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
You can snag Amazon Prime "Student" for $50 with a .edu email address. Pretty much the same benefits.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Renewal requires having actual proof of being enrolled in a college, being accepted to a college, etc.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol at the visceral disdain at subways is because this is what common people eat

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So I guess Firehouse Subs is where people who think they're too good for Subway go?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We have a Jersey Mike's where I live and they're pretty good.

Boy I miss Quizzno's, though. They had the best broccoli cheddar soup.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Noctone posted:

e: Same applies for a lot of fast food restaurants, really. The chicken at KFC in England is absolutely nothing like what you get in the States. And they don’t have mashed potatoes or potato wedges or mac and cheese.

Can confirm. Icelandic KFC is the bomb and I used to vom at the idea of their chicken when stateside.

But our taco Bell is still toilet time garbage.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Noctone posted:

Hilariously, Subway in Sweden does not offer meatball subs.
What? Who thought that was a good idea? I've never been inside but I pass by one occasionally and there really is a gross stench around it.

There is a McDonalds fairly close but they really hate customers and rebuilt it to not use cashiers and only those gross touchscreens (do they ever wipe those off, or the keypads for the card readers?) and everyone has to wait in this really crowded and small area with no space to move or stand. It's terrible and I hope they lose a lot of business because of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm always impressed when a company manages to make pizza people will not eat.

Especially since people are willing to eat pizza with pineapple.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

No, there's hardly any Quizno's around here anymore.

Because most people had their come to God moment with Quiznos and realized that their sandwiches become sort of amorphous and unnatural. I had one by my place a decade ago and realized (mid meal, one day after work) that they're the sandwich shop equivalent of the orange soda paradigm. First cup is amazing...second cup is 'why the gently caress am I eating this?'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Especially since people are willing to eat pizza with pineapple.

Oh yeah totally, what kind of barbarian would think to use a sweet, acidic fruit on a pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Quiznos died because of a flawed business model. Instead of corporate negotiating on behalf of franchisees to vendors like everyone else, corporate would buy and profit off selling everything to their franchises. Corporate got greedy, franchises become unprofitable, stores close, corporate loses franchises to sell to.