Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Seravee thing would be a better excuse if we hadn't basically gotten the same thing last episode. Apparently, high level play consists of doing a pose and shooting beams everywhere.

If this was a better show, I'd expect that to hit a roadblock with an IBO themed suit showing up (official motto of Gjallarhorn engineering: gently caress beam weapons forever.) but... this is not showing signs of being that kind of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

The Seravee thing would be a better excuse if we hadn't basically gotten the same thing last episode. Apparently, high level play consists of doing a pose and shooting beams everywhere.

If this was a better show, I'd expect that to hit a roadblock with an IBO themed suit showing up (official motto of Gjallarhorn engineering: gently caress beam weapons forever.) but... this is not showing signs of being that kind of show.

The Prologue was meant to be the highest level of play and it involved a lot of tactical poo poo and feints instead of "throw your super move at it". "Throw your super move at it" appears to be the preferred way of dealing with cheating scrubs who have no skill and are merely hacking the program to boost their stats rather than how pros fight each other.

I'll admit that a huge amount of the hope I still hold for this show is based on the prologue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

TBF, I think it’s mainly just that that’s how big super-moves have worked in Gundam in the past. So Tigerwolf was a G Gundam homage, and the ultimate move in G Gundam is to stand still and fire off a big-rear end energy blast, the Sekiha Tenkyoken.

I mean, it seems pretty likely that the Momokapool will have a more exotic super if its pilot ever gets to that point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, I think it’s mainly just that that’s how big super-moves have worked in Gundam in the past. So Tigerwolf was a G Gundam homage, and the ultimate move in G Gundam is to stand still and fire off a big-rear end energy blast, the Sekiha Tenkyoken.

I mean, it seems pretty likely that the Momokapool will have a more exotic super if its pilot ever gets to that point.

I am dreading how boring that suit is likely to end up being to watch fight since it basically has no weapons at all(honestly I would not be surprised if Momoka ends up being the token "character who can't fight worth a drat at all" that many shonen and sports anime end up having), it is kinda a bad sign that there isn't any promotional material actually showing her Kapool fighting to my knowledge

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I am dreading how boring that suit is likely to end up being to watch fight since it basically has no weapons at all(honestly I would not be surprised if Momoka ends up being the token "character who can't fight worth a drat at all" that many shonen and sports anime end up having)

It’s going to use that mini-Kapool to football people to death. No, really, I’m pretty sure that’s going to be its fighting style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s going to use that mini-Kapool to football people to death. No, really, I’m pretty sure that’s going to be its fighting style.

I will never understand the fascination Japanese culture has with Soccer inspired attacks, it never results in anything actually cool or interesting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Given that it looks very much like the limbs retract, I'm pretty sure it's going to football people to death with its own body.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given that it looks very much like the limbs retract, I'm pretty sure it's going to football people to death with its own body.

Well, that too. But it has another, smaller Kapool for a reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm also really confused as to why the hell is it Penguin themed when literally everything else about Momoka has been cat themed

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Because they're angling for another Beargguy success and the Kapool is a short fat aquatic mobile suit that waddles to move so it's already got an easy penguin motif.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They should have just had Momoka be Penguin themed then, in memory of Grape-kun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Prologue was meant to be the highest level of play and it involved a lot of tactical poo poo and feints instead of "throw your super move at it". "Throw your super move at it" appears to be the preferred way of dealing with cheating scrubs who have no skill and are merely hacking the program to boost their stats rather than how pros fight each other.

I'll admit that a huge amount of the hope I still hold for this show is based on the prologue.

The prologue is the main reason I've stuck around this long, honestly.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I will never understand the fascination Japanese culture has with Soccer inspired attacks, it never results in anything actually cool or interesting

One soccer show had a Jet Stream Attack copy, so it goes in circles. I think it was Gambare Kickers.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

drrockso20 posted:

In the inevitable football-themed episode, they should have the hacker enemies all be full hooligans. Smoke flares, razor blades hidden inside hat brims, ripped up seats for shields.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

The fights between recurrung characters in Gundam almost always come down to melee fights anyway, and really IBO's solution to beams is "magic paint that completely invalidates beams as a worry for every single mobile suit", which sucks a lot of the tension out of things the one time they do show up and is just as bad in it's own way.

jackhunter64 posted:

In the inevitable football-themed episode, they should have the hacker enemies all be full hooligans. Smoke flares, razor blades hidden inside hat brims, ripped up seats for shields.

English too, obviously. I'd love to see them all in basic suits painted to look like they're wearing jerseys or something, but some of the signifiers, like numbers and names on the back, would be near impossible given the placement of thrusters on the back of suits. Still, a GM with a beanie cap in red and white stripes would be fun.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 5, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
For the most part Divers has had good fights, mechanically speaking. Like, there was a moment where they did a half stream attack with the GM rushing forward and then ducking down to reveal the 00 who threw a sword at the bad guy. I remember seeing that and thinking it should've been a really neat thing, but I didn't feel any emotions about it because I didn't care about the fight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I think you've forgotten that the next episode has an IBO-themed suit for a secondary protagonist, so I'd wait to see how that shakes out. Especially considering the loadout on it is a hammer/pincer combo and what's either a mortar or Dainsleif.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feels bad to compare this to GGO. It's not gundams, but if you liked the way BF did things, you'll probably dig GGO which so far has been knocking it out of the park.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What kind of game would have players walk across a featureless desert without fast travel?

Probably the weakest episode, to little of the action that's the main draw, and daft plan and motive from the villains. Why didn't they just show off the cooler mode of their Gunpla?

Gabaldy Rebake and it's elven mage next week, and it's a great concept for a suit ( even if it might mean no actual IBO suits) so I'm going to stick with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BizarroAzrael posted:

What kind of game would have players walk across a featureless desert without fast travel?

Someone who has never played a korean MMO

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Feels bad to compare this to GGO. It's not gundams, but if you liked the way BF did things, you'll probably dig GGO which so far has been knocking it out of the park.

Oh, yeah. Wasn't expecting to like that one as much as I do.

It helps that LLENN is fun to watch on her own. A boring lead doesn't guarantee a boring show, but it definitely helps when you can have a scene with just the main character and a bunch of one shot mooks and still have it be funny.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

For the most part Divers has had good fights, mechanically speaking. Like, there was a moment where they did a half stream attack with the GM rushing forward and then ducking down to reveal the 00 who threw a sword at the bad guy. I remember seeing that and thinking it should've been a really neat thing, but I didn't feel any emotions about it because I didn't care about the fight.

I'd say most fights are a rollercoaster of good( learning to aim at joints, ogre vs Dom's, cowboy tequila Gundam with missle coffin, using actual tactics and bringing specific builds in a 10v10 match) and bad (Magnum uses super, bad angled camera makes 00diver dodge two shots that curve around it, not actually switching the focus of the show and future toy lines to Cowboy Tequila Gundam, team Magnum wins because their side had a Gundam.)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

Someone who has never played a korean MMO

Tbh stuff like wow was better when you had to do that, as insane as that seems.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well finally, we actually got some story progression, and our villain has a name.

I guess the Divers world isn't connected to the Fighters world? They were rather coy about the old Gunpla Duel system but it felt like they specifically avoided direct references to the other series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A character who has emotions and a reason for doing Gunpla beyond "I dunno, seemed fun" is an odd addition to the show at this point

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's weird that Riku Force is three middle school kids doing it for fun and one adult man working through his severe depression and abandonment issues. That's a weird setup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's weird that Riku Force is three middle school kids doing it for fun and one adult man working through his severe depression and abandonment issues. That's a weird setup.

But enough about ZZ Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know whose idea it was to stick Patrick in the background of every episode, but more power to 'em :allears:.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
The bad news is, those kids were acting like very pushy stalkers. Though given how the show literally starts with "I'm going to force you into my club every day until you say yes! (or I get counter-recruited into your club instead)", I can't say I expected any different. The good news is that they got called out on it and actually realized they did bad.

And watching the opening, aside from the 00 getting a power-up from being exposed to Magee's fabulousness, my attention was drawn to the flower-necklace Sarah has. I think someone in the thread proposed before that it could be a world-hopping plavsky crystal. Well the interesting thing is (and I have to admit that she does look like one of Aila's kids.), Sarah doesn't wear a necklace in the show. At least not in this episode. So...foreshadowing?

Finally, as for GPD. I'm guessing the big thing that made GBN outcompete it was simple accessibility and all the things you can do in GBN that doesn't involve smashing one gunpla into another.
GPD requires a bigass table(s) and may not even have online multiplayer for all I know. The upside is that the table integrates all the hardware you need so instant battle, just add gunpla. In contrast, GBN requires a virtual headset, a controller and something to scan your gunpla. And for all I know the headset is optional, you can use a generic controller if you want and your gunpla data can be put on one of the triangle cards so you don't even need to scan every time. And the biggest is that you can do it in the comfort of your own home as demonstrated this episode.

Oh, and Patrick's companion may have had her face hidden, but there is only one woman he could have been talking to. Rock on, you immortal man.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maninthesuit posted:

The bad news is, those kids were acting like very pushy stalkers. Though given how the show literally starts with "I'm going to force you into my club every day until you say yes! (or I get counter-recruited into your club instead)", I can't say I expected any different. The good news is that they got called out on it and actually realized they did bad.

I'm kinda willing to let it slide a little (though I fully agree with you), because you can clearly see Nanami's pushing them onto her brother just to try and prod him out of his depression.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Better than average episode for a middling show, but I really wish they'd sort of get to the point already. Sarah, against all odds, is more of a moe blob than brain damaged Raraiya from G-Reco, existing only to creepily smile and give meaningless commentary on gunpla.

I guess I just really wish the show wouldn't treat the viewers like idiots. There is clearly something screwed up about her, and it is beyond belief that no one in universe has commented on the fact that she is always online, but never doing anything other than standing around.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's unclear whether she's just standing around for a deliberate reason or just because of poor, solipsistic writing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

This is totally on point with online gaming. There's a huge amount of people who play online games just to watch their numbers go up or to gently caress with other people rather than because they actually enjoy the game.

Can we expect a line of floating waggling dongs to make their way slowly through the playing field while "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" plays?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I actually liked this episode. It's built on a faulty idea, of oh no the next version of a game came out! Let's all quit gunpla. And holy poo poo the stalking is super messed up. I'm not sure the kids even understand what they were doing, but hey they are kids with social awkwardness.

Pretty sweet how the elf breaks his Galbaldy so he can "Rebake" it. Hope next episode let's that Ferret show off more strategy and tactics than just straight fighting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I thought this episode was pretty boring

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I thought this episode was pretty boring

Was there something in particular or just a general nothing seemed fun or interesting to you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the sad man and he would make a better protagonist

though i also feel this way about momoka

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm glad that someone at Sunrise is still holding a candle for the Gundam Spiegel. :unsmith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

i like the sad man and he would make a better protagonist

though i also feel this way about momoka

If Momoka was the protagonist the show would just be Chihayafuru with Gundams instead of poetry cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sazabi posted:

Was there something in particular or just a general nothing seemed fun or interesting to you.

Mostly the latter

• Locked thread