Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera for my friend who is into photography. Something for beginners, decent quality, produces nice photos and has a lot of fun photographer stuff to play with. As long as it's not total overkill (in performance and price) I'm happy. There's so many different cameras, and I'm not at all interested in this sort of poo poo, so I'm at a loss.

On top of that, if I bought them a camera, do I have to buy lenses too? This poo poo goes right over my head, so I've got no idea. I just want a nice gift idea for someone I've been good friends with for almost 10 years. I'm lucky in the sense that they haven't got a DSLR camera of their own, so I could literally buy anything and not worry about wasting money on getting gear they already have.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
There is an entire sub forum for photography, The Dorkroom in Finer Arts.

Here is their Gear-buying megathread.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera for my friend who is into photography. Something for beginners, decent quality, produces nice photos and has a lot of fun photographer stuff to play with. As long as it's not total overkill (in performance and price) I'm happy. There's so many different cameras, and I'm not at all interested in this sort of poo poo, so I'm at a loss.

On top of that, if I bought them a camera, do I have to buy lenses too? This poo poo goes right over my head, so I've got no idea. I just want a nice gift idea for someone I've been good friends with for almost 10 years. I'm lucky in the sense that they haven't got a DSLR camera of their own, so I could literally buy anything and not worry about wasting money on getting gear they already have.

This is a nice idea, but a very expensive gift. You probably don’t want to stick them with a crappy dslr that they’ll outgrow immediately, so a prosumer model is the way to go. And you should look for used for that. Check your local classifieds for cameras in the xxD range from Canon (50D and 60D should be around $400-600 with crappy kit lenses) or Nikon dxxx range. I’m not familiar with their line though. If you want to get them some nice glass, a prime lens like a 50mm/1.8 is the way to go and they’re only $150.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Qubee posted:

What is your budget? And how rich is your friend?

These are big variables, it's pointless to really answer the question without knowing. "Beginner" DSLRs stretch from probably around £150 to £600+

How flush your friend is also matters a lot, because if they are a genuine enthusiast, they will want to buy the lenses to go with their camera. Modern lenses are very pricey. Given that they don't have a DSLR already, I assume they are either totally new to photography or a bit strapped for cash. In which case, one of the primary buying criteria in my mind is backwards compatibility with vintage lenses, because decent ones can often be had for less than £50.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tuyop posted:

This is a nice idea, but a very expensive gift. You probably don’t want to stick them with a crappy dslr that they’ll outgrow immediately, so a prosumer model is the way to go. And you should look for used for that. Check your local classifieds for cameras in the xxD range from Canon (50D and 60D should be around $400-600 with crappy kit lenses) or Nikon dxxx range. I’m not familiar with their line though. If you want to get them some nice glass, a prime lens like a 50mm/1.8 is the way to go and they’re only $150.

It's an expensive gift but they're a solid friend who have helped me get past a lot of poo poo through all these years, plus I've not gotten them anything for their past 4 birthdays... Crappy DSLR that they'll outgrow immediately is a good point, and the xxD advice is super helpful. Gives me something to look into.

Jeza posted:

What is your budget? And how rich is your friend?

These are big variables, it's pointless to really answer the question without knowing. "Beginner" DSLRs stretch from probably around £150 to £600+

How flush your friend is also matters a lot, because if they are a genuine enthusiast, they will want to buy the lenses to go with their camera. Modern lenses are very pricey. Given that they don't have a DSLR already, I assume they are either totally new to photography or a bit strapped for cash. In which case, one of the primary buying criteria in my mind is backwards compatibility with vintage lenses, because decent ones can often be had for less than £50.

£400-600 is my budget, I'd say. I'm not sure how rich my friend is, they're recently-graduated rich, so probably not very. Your assumption about them being totally new is true, they've always had a passion for photography but never had the finances to back the hobby. They're really into it though and make do with phone camera stuff, but their pics are always lovely. I've got no idea about lenses, let alone the cameras themselves, so I appreciate you guys stopping me from dropping a wad of cash on something that becomes redundant after a few months.

I'll head on over to the photography forums and repost this question there.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

xxD range from Canon (50D and 60D should be around $400-600 with crappy kit lenses) or Nikon dxxx range. I’m not familiar with their line though. If you want to get them some nice glass, a prime lens like a 50mm/1.8 is the way to go and they’re only $150.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. except I was assuming you would want to buy new.

If you want to buy used, the Canon 5D line (5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III) is a pro camera, produced a beautiful image, and once the new version comes out (5D Mark IV) the pros all dump their old one and buy the new one and used values plummet. IMHO $500 on a Canon 5D Mk II is the best value in photography anywhere.

The 50mm f/1.8 is the best value anywhere, everyone has one, it's easy to make pretty pictures with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. except I was assuming you would want to buy new.

If you want to buy used, the Canon 5D line (5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III) is a pro camera, produced a beautiful image, and once the new version comes out (5D Mark IV) the pros all dump their old one and buy the new one and used values plummet. IMHO $500 on a Canon 5D Mk II is the best value in photography anywhere.

The 50mm f/1.8 is the best value anywhere, everyone has one, it's easy to make pretty pictures with.

The 5D mkII is awesome and a great deal, but it uses a full size sensor instead of an APS-C so you either have to crop in post or buy lenses that take advantage of the large sensor. That larger sensor does mean advantages in basically all aspects of performance, though. Another trade off is weight but pff. If you have babbie arms just stick with your cell phone.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

First DSLR I bought was a second-hand D200 from a wedding photographer. It's well out of date now, but it's still notable to me as a camera that could easily crush other, lesser DSLR's if used as a brick, and still work flawlessly afterwards. It weighs about a kilo without a lens.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do mods have access to the name on the credit card you used to pay for your account or is that just admins? There's a new mod who I'm pretty sure has told me quite a few times in the past that I deserve to die or that I should kill myself, and I'm wondering if I should expect him to be sending copies of my posts to anyone he can find connected to me in real life or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChairMaster posted:

Do mods have access to the name on the credit card you used to pay for your account or is that just admins? There's a new mod who I'm pretty sure has told me quite a few times in the past that I deserve to die or that I should kill myself, and I'm wondering if I should expect him to be sending copies of my posts to anyone he can find connected to me in real life or something.

what the gently caress

maybe talk to an admin about this, it wouldn't be the first time a mod has gone off the rails

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He wasn't a mod at the time, and it's on a different board than the one he mods, and he's just one of like half a dozen people that do it somewhat regularly, and I don't have plat anymore so I haven't gone back and searched to see if he's even for sure one of the people who specifically do it. It's not a big deal really, I'm not complaining or trying to get anything changed, and if there's even any damage done then it's too late now, I'd just like to know.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
If you kept nuking the same spot, would it just keep getting more radioactive indefinitely? (Where "more radioactive" is something like "you die faster if you visit it a year later".)

Maybe more scientifically, is there a limit to how radioactive something can be?

Are there materials that can't be irradiated?

I know there's the science forum but I found nothing when I searched online so I figure my questions belong here more.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

uvar posted:

If you kept nuking the same spot, would it just keep getting more radioactive indefinitely? (Where "more radioactive" is something like "you die faster if you visit it a year later".)

Maybe more scientifically, is there a limit to how radioactive something can be?

Are there materials that can't be irradiated?

I know there's the science forum but I found nothing when I searched online so I figure my questions belong here more.

It depends a bit on what you mean with 'kept nuking'.

Radioactivity decays over time. After X time, you will have half of your radioactivity compared to your starting point (that's why we talk in 'half-life' of radioactive particles). If a nuclear weapon creates A amount of radioactive particles, after X time you will have 0,5*A radioactive particles.

If you fire 5 identical nukes you create 5*A radioactive particles, and after X time you will 2,5*A. This is more than 0,5*A obviously, but over time this will even out;

Say we take 5*X times, then you will have;

1 nuke = A radioactive particles at start but only 0.03*A left after 5*X time.

5 nukes= start with 5*A radioactive particles but only 0.15*A left after 5*X time.

The longer X time you take, the closer those two values of radioactive particles left will come together.

Now, theoretically, if you dump a near-infinite amount of nukes at the same spot at the same time you could build up your starting radioactive particles so high (a lot)*A that it would take a shitload of time (a lot)*X to decay. But it would not be indefinite.

The other interpretation of 'kept'; if you keep nuking the same spot after X times have passed you could keep the radiation levels high until you stopped nuking, when it would follow the normal decay time.

edit for the other questions;

In principle something being 'radioactive' means that it has an unstable atom. This means that over time, the atom will try to fall into a stable configuration and in doing so emits something (can be light, can be an electron, can be a proton or neutron) at such energies that it is dangerous to life. In principle I think you could 'irradiate' anything if you pick your irradiating (so; make unstable) system carefully enough, but some things are definitely easier to irradiate than others. I'm not confident enough in my material science to give specific examples though.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 3, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

don't different types of radiation-causing elements have vastly differing half-lifes? one thing might have a half-life of 2 minutes, another might have one of 500 years

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

don't different types of radiation-causing elements have vastly differing half-lifes? one thing might have a half-life of 2 minutes, another might have one of 500 years

Yes?

You're asking the question wrong but wait what thread is this?

Polonium is super crazy

But seriously I did a whole paper on the Atomic Energy Commission and welp they were mostly sure that an atomic bomb wouldn't ignite atmospheric nitrogen

And they dodged that or you and I wouldn't be alive.

But also there are four types of ionizing radiation and those are the ones you worry about. Non-ionizing radiation like your microwave is harmless and can't damage your cells. Alpha, beta gamma neutron

Just watch this

https://www.mirion.com/introduction-to-radiation-safety/types-of-ionizing-radiation/

And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

If you worry about radiation worry about this dang sun problem

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
If you cut the insides of your fingers and bandaged them together, would they heal to each other and form flippers?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Qubee posted:

Yes. But if you irradiate your whole area with a mixture of radioactive particles it is easiest to just take the one with the longest half time. In the case of 2 minutes vs 500 years effectively all of your '2 minutes'-substance will be gone in the first 500 years anyway.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Do mods have access to the name on the credit card you used to pay for your account

They don't

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

Technically speaking every element in existence is a radiation-causing element with a differing half life. Everything decays. Even particles that make atoms decay. The reason materials we think of as "radioactive" are dangerous is because of the amount of radiation they give off.

You are sitting in radiation right now. You are always sitting in radiation. Background radiation is mild enough that it doesn't hurt you and there are "radioactive" materials that you can hang around for a surprising period of time before they have any possibility of doing damage. Radiation in and of itself doesn't cause problems; it's the amount of it that causes problems. But yeah, there are elements that decay in times measured in nanoseconds while others have half lives measured in centuries but give off enough radiation to be dangerous.

Common, stable elements decay so slowly that it's difficult or impossible to measure. We're talking half lives in the trillions of years in some cases.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’m minded to pay attention to ToxicSlurpee when they talk about deadly radiation :ohdear:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Robokomodo posted:

If you cut the insides of your fingers and bandaged them together, would they heal to each other and form flippers?

you can certainly have fingers heal in a way that they get stuck together if they are bandaged badly, though you wouldnt have a functional "flipper" just a painfully deformed hand

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

Yes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a drive on a Windows 10 computer that's entirely used for file storage (ie, no system files). I want to share this drive on the network with two authentication levels:

1) Guests have read access to specific folders.

2) Registered users (with the Windows login) have read/write access to the entire drive.

What's the best way to set this up? Client computers will be using macOS if it makes a difference.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a drive on a Windows 10 computer that's entirely used for file storage (ie, no system files). I want to share this drive on the network with two authentication levels:

1) Guests have read access to specific folders.

2) Registered users (with the Windows login) have read/write access to the entire drive.

What's the best way to set this up? Client computers will be using macOS if it makes a difference.

samba and nfs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc2XfDn4K4&t=63s

can someone please tell me what song this background bit is a sample of? it sounds very very familiar. ignore the lyrics, the background music just seems so familiar like it's taken from a popular song and sampled by these guys.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 3, 2018

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

He sounds pretty sure. Ask him how he knows.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I took triathlons very seriously. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Hi Hipster Doofus, I haven't been following whichever threads you post in lately but uh

this is weird, just Hi m8

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Qubee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc2XfDn4K4&t=63s

can someone please tell me what song this background bit is a sample of? it sounds very very familiar. ignore the lyrics, the background music just seems so familiar like it's taken from a popular song and sampled by these guys.

Try the "identify a song" thread, a lot of questions are about samples.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Is it even a sample in the song? Am I retarded?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Try the "identify a song" thread, a lot of questions are about samples.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

thank you xoxo

Jeza posted:

Is it even a sample in the song? Am I retarded?

there has to be, the background beat is so familiar, it's driving me crazy!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you're talking about the main beat and the sounds in it, it's probably from a sample pack- these are collections of beats, loops and sounds that beatmakers/producers use to make music. Sometimes the sounds within the pack such as a snare hit may have been sampled from existing songs though. There's a few middle eastern style percussion ones so there's a good chance you'll have heard that loop in another tune without it actually being a direct sample, if that makes sense? They're sorta like construction kits for making tunes, to the extent where its becoming increasingly common for sample packs to not just be a collection of short snippets and loops but entire song sections that can be put together.

Some very popular songs have used 'stock' sounds that came with software, a good example would be Rhianna's 'Umbrella' which used one of the drumloops that comes with Garageband.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 4, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That was an awesome reply, but drat I hope it's not true. Cause if that's the case, I feel like I'm never gonna get closure on this and the song is forever going to annoy me now. Maybe it's just a sample pack that I've heard in loads of other songs, but I just can't remember which. Because it just seems so eerily familiar, deja vu levels, and I want to find the other song that has it so it stops bugging me when I hear it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
What exactly are you referring to as the background? Because god drat if it doesn't sounds absolutely familiar to me as well. That progression of notes in 3/4: DAHHH-dah, rest, DUHHH-dah, rest, DOHHH-dah, rest, DEE-dah, rest, DUHHH-dah... Is that the part you mean? Whether it is or not this is gonna drive me crazy now too, so thanks!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What exactly are you referring to as the background? Because god drat if it doesn't sounds absolutely familiar to me as well. That progression of notes in 3/4: DAHHH-dah, rest, DUHHH-dah, rest, DOHHH-dah, rest, DEE-dah, rest, DUHHH-dah... Is that the part you mean? Whether it is or not this is gonna drive me crazy now too, so thanks!

That's exactly the part that's mindfucking me! I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I'm really sorry to have dragged you into this. It was thrust upon me, so I figured I'd spread the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuz7XUG7mU

someone said it sounds similar to this, which it does, and it kind of scratches the itch. But the more I listen to the two side by side, the more I realise it's not quite there

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any way to check when a site you don't own has the most traffic (times of the day and days of the week)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There's like a forums meme of saying:

"You loving idiot. You moron." and like, maybe more vitriolic stuff, but always the idiot / moron combo, and it's usually when someone's made a really innocent mistake, and it makes me laugh every time. I was just wondering if it was from anything or codified in any way, or just another SA thing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

!Klams posted:

There's like a forums meme of saying:

"You loving idiot. You moron." and like, maybe more vitriolic stuff, but always the idiot / moron combo, and it's usually when someone's made a really innocent mistake, and it makes me laugh every time. I was just wondering if it was from anything or codified in any way, or just another SA thing.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Possibly a reference to this?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh, yeah, maybe its Imbecile not idiot! That makes sense, yeah. Who's this Wint guy? I see quotes from him on a few forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

!Klams posted:

Oh, yeah, maybe its Imbecile not idiot! That makes sense, yeah. Who's this Wint guy? I see quotes from him on a few forums?
dril is a former SA poster who is now the most famous Weird Twitter personality.