Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
So I was unpacking and going through the X-Wing stuff I bought this morning. One of the things I bought was an original TIE Fighter expansion, and one was a U-Wing.

It's hilarious to open the TIE Fighter, and find exactly two upgrade cards, then to open the U-Wing and find 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah modifications were more of a Wave 2 thing onwards

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wish I was around for Wave 1 with just the basic ships. That’s what I love about the direction 2.0 is taking, with maneuvering being very important along with actions. Combat seems more brutal where the matches are over quicker. Imagine 30minute matches rather than the slog of 75 minutes. Especially against a fortress or someone who just continually boosts out of range.

darkroot
Apr 11, 2012

Strikers Over Scarif

Ringo Star Get posted:

Imagine 30 minute matches rather than the slog of 75 minutes. Especially against a fortress or someone who just continually boosts out of range.

As long as I never have to fly against a Kanan Ghost with TLT ever again, I'll be happy.

It'll be nice to enjoy this game again.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I'd predict that matches are going to be a lot of slow maneuvering, with stuff dying fast if you get it in your sights. So turns of just dodging around each other, but when poo poo lines up it's a bloodbath.

I really like how the X-Wing, just with the S-Foils, has a loving niche now. With the emphasis on movement I can totally see X-Wings closing foils to maneuver around like crazy, then popping open for the kill-blow.

What I'm going to ASSUME based on 1.0 trends for the factions:

Rebels: Tough ships that have effects based around mostly synergizing with each other. Some good standalone ace types, but most ships will have support style abilities with lots of syergy and a focus on combos. Heavily rewards creative comboing and list building. You can make up for lackluster flying with a good ability synergy. Weakness would be that once you start losing ships your combos fall apart, so a lost ship can cripple Rebels worse than others.

Imperials: Cheap fragile swarms mixed with powerful aces. Little synergy between ships, most abilities are going to focus on just making the basic abilities BETTER. Lots of strategy based on maneuvering around, getting fire concentrated, and just plain skilled flying. Rewards skill with maneuvering over everything else. You can have a bunch of ships that don't synergize, but each is just scary enough when flown well to still work. Weakness is that they are unforgiving. Hit debris, make a wrong turn, get stressed at a bad time and even the nastiest ships turn into clouds of gas in the blink of an eye.

Scum: Weird gimmick ships. Every ship has a niche THING they do, and the trick is to find a combo of ships and fly them in ways that use their gimmicks to the max. Like a mix of rebels and imperials in that way. I'd figure Scum is going to be the "hardest" faction to play, as it requires both skilled flying and good pre-game list building. Weakness is that if the enemy can counter the gimmick of a ship, it's hosed. Fang Fighters are terrifying at Range 1, but at longer ranges they're in trouble for example.

Does that make sense? That's the vibe I always got from the factions myself.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Glad they announced this week since a lot of shops are doing May the 4th discounts over the weekend. Just preordered and paid for all of my 2.0 and got 20% off. Bought slave 1 since it was the only ship missing from my collection.

Also, 2 fang fighters because I can't resist spinnaz wings.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Wapole Languray posted:

I'd predict that matches are going to be a lot of slow maneuvering, with stuff dying fast if you get it in your sights. So turns of just dodging around each other, but when poo poo lines up it's a bloodbath.

I really like how the X-Wing, just with the S-Foils, has a loving niche now. With the emphasis on movement I can totally see X-Wings closing foils to maneuver around like crazy, then popping open for the kill-blow.

What I'm going to ASSUME based on 1.0 trends for the factions:

Rebels: Tough ships that have effects based around mostly synergizing with each other. Some good standalone ace types, but most ships will have support style abilities with lots of syergy and a focus on combos. Heavily rewards creative comboing and list building. You can make up for lackluster flying with a good ability synergy. Weakness would be that once you start losing ships your combos fall apart, so a lost ship can cripple Rebels worse than others.

Imperials: Cheap fragile swarms mixed with powerful aces. Little synergy between ships, most abilities are going to focus on just making the basic abilities BETTER. Lots of strategy based on maneuvering around, getting fire concentrated, and just plain skilled flying. Rewards skill with maneuvering over everything else. You can have a bunch of ships that don't synergize, but each is just scary enough when flown well to still work. Weakness is that they are unforgiving. Hit debris, make a wrong turn, get stressed at a bad time and even the nastiest ships turn into clouds of gas in the blink of an eye.

Scum: Weird gimmick ships. Every ship has a niche THING they do, and the trick is to find a combo of ships and fly them in ways that use their gimmicks to the max. Like a mix of rebels and imperials in that way. I'd figure Scum is going to be the "hardest" faction to play, as it requires both skilled flying and good pre-game list building. Weakness is that if the enemy can counter the gimmick of a ship, it's hosed. Fang Fighters are terrifying at Range 1, but at longer ranges they're in trouble for example.

Does that make sense? That's the vibe I always got from the factions myself.

Supposedly this is what the factions are geared towards according to the stream.

Rebel: Support

Imps: Bonuses for close or formation flying

Scum: Every man for himself including damaging friendlies for bonuses

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
In the Covenant video they specifically talked about faction identity and how rebels were about synergy and sacrifice for that big hero play and imperials were all about having specialized ships designed for a very unique niche. They didn’t talk as much about scum beyond mentioning how they’re kinda janky by design (a powerful effect that might also hurt you, etc).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's kind of how the factions have always been. I want to know what their focus will be for First Order and Resistance.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Just catching up with the news here. What I don’t get is that people are salty over a $50 upgrade/retrofit box when most players were buying ships they don’t want or need to get cards before.

I’m pretty excited about 2.0. The only things that worry me are the reliance on the bullseye arc for lots of abilities And he sheer amount of changes.

The changes should work themselves out now that FFG can edit points on the fly through the app but the bullseye arc thing seems gimmicky and hard to ever really use.

All in all, pretty excited though!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

That's kind of how the factions have always been. I want to know what their focus will be for First Order and Resistance.

They mention it in the video. The First Order is about fanaticism, and the Resistance is about superpowered all-stars.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Smegmalicious posted:

Just catching up with the news here. What I don’t get is that people are salty over a $50 upgrade/retrofit box when most players were buying ships they don’t want or need to get cards before.

It's not quite the same, coming away with a shiny new spaceship toy takes the edge off actually having paid for the upgrade card.

I had a look through my collection and have exactly equal numbers of scum, empire and rebellion ships. Time to choose just one to stick with for a while and think it's got to be scum, they have the coolest looking ships.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Vitamin P posted:

It's not quite the same, coming away with a shiny new spaceship toy takes the edge off actually having paid for the upgrade card.

I had a look through my collection and have exactly equal numbers of scum, empire and rebellion ships. Time to choose just one to stick with for a while and think it's got to be scum, they have the coolest looking ships.

Go all three... do it... you know you want to.
Honestly, besides giving one away to a friend, I am probably sticking to Scum >Resistance>Rebel. I have everything Imp, but I have only gone to one single tournament with an Imp list. If tie swarms are viable again then I will be deep in it.

I really, really like how actions are going to work. Measure for a TL and it's out of range or can't land that roll? Bye, bye action for that round. Still getting lot of enjoyment from the grief a few well know 4 tlt y-wing players are getting.

What is everyone going to do with the 1.0 cards when it's all over? A few of us are thinking of having a burn barrel at a tournament to burn cards they are glad are gone.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah I'm going to get all three, but focus one faction at first. I'm waiting until the app comes out so I can monkey around with builds and see what the main changes are.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I wish I was around for Wave 1 with just the basic ships. That’s what I love about the direction 2.0 is taking, with maneuvering being very important along with actions. Combat seems more brutal where the matches are over quicker. Imagine 30minute matches rather than the slog of 75 minutes. Especially against a fortress or someone who just continually boosts out of range.

It was basically just rolling dice and hoping to get lucky. And playing TIE swarm or not playing at all.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
2.0 looks like a great opportunity to get into the game. I'm currently eyeing scum from the faction descriptions but i got a few months to decide. Am i correct in thinking that a conversion kit would be worth the money as a new player just to have a big pile of upgrades? (and probably to use some ebay ships too)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bistromatic posted:

2.0 looks like a great opportunity to get into the game. I'm currently eyeing scum from the faction descriptions but i got a few months to decide. Am i correct in thinking that a conversion kit would be worth the money as a new player just to have a big pile of upgrades? (and probably to use some ebay ships too)

Yeah, a conversion kit would be really helpful if you can scrounge up ships off of e-bay for cheap, or from people getting out.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Btw, while i do appreciate the brief faction summaries is there a more detailed rundown on how scum work in 1.0? I assume it's not going to change radically? Weird abilities and models throwing each other under the bus to mess with the enemy sound right up my alley. Plus it would seem scum offers the most freedom for weird repaints and conversions.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

In 1 scum are very much a confused mess. Lots of one trick pony ships, weird gimmicky crap, and a few OP and broken things that are the only ones getting flown (Asajj/Jumpmaster).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wapole Languray posted:

In 1 scum are very much a confused mess. Lots of one trick pony ships, weird gimmicky crap, and a few OP and broken things that are the only ones getting flown (Asajj/Jumpmaster).

Yeah, 1.0 factions were really collections of ships and upgrades that varied widely. You can kinda see where FFG was going with selfish ships that can put down debuffs, but that's by no means a complete summary of the factions. Hopefully 2.0 leans more into faction identity. We don't know a whole lot about 2.0 scum other than a few of the ships.

There are some differences- for example, the HWK-290 is a support ship with a turret available to both rebels and scum. The rebel pilots have abilities like transferring focus to friendlies, boosting a friendly's PS for the shooting phase, and even giving them extra attack dice, whereas the scum HWK-290 has debuffs, like stealing enemy ships' focus or evade tokens, or dropping their PS to 0 during the shooting phase.

The most uniquely scum thing there is probably the illicit slots, where you can drop trash behind your ship, get really high and buff your attack/defense, and do free damage to an enemy in exchange for damaging yourself. Neat tricks, basically, though rebels do have access to the illicit slot on the YT freighters these days.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 5, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We know we're getting new pilots in some ships, or at least old pilots in ships (Thane in an X-wing, one of the ARC pilots in a Y-wing).

What if... what if we finally get K-2SO as a pilot?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

We know we're getting new pilots in some ships, or at least old pilots in ships (Thane in an X-wing, one of the ARC pilots in a Y-wing).

What if... what if we finally get K-2SO as a pilot?

I really hope we do. I also hope we never see another Sabine Wren crew card again.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

What is everyone going to do with the 1.0 cards when it's all over? A few of us are thinking of having a burn barrel at a tournament to burn cards they are glad are gone.

I think I'm going to take all the best alt arts I have and put them in a grid inside a frame as a sort of collage/memento. Then burn the rest.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ll put all the cards in a stack with a rubber band around it. Then toss it and everything else in a box.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'll recycle them like a responsible wanger

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I want to posture like I'm going to take some kind of principled stand, but I know that would be a lie. I'm going to get two of each conversion kit when they come out, because I have a massive collection of ships and I want to run TIE swarms / take-your-ex-to-work-day / protectorate lists. I want it all. I want it alllllllll. Just waiting until the app comes out to start building lists for daaaaays.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm so excited for the big sized promo damage deck that I ordered some out of print FFG sleeves for it.

Check out that A-Wing blowing up the interceptor, something nearly impossible in 1.0

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Found out my FLGS has a membership program. You pay $5 to join, then every $50 you spend in a month gets you $5 off something, $100 gets you $10, etc.

I guess that's alright, $45 conversion kits before tax which I would have to pay online anyway, along with maybe shipping.

Has anyone else pre-ordered the core and got confirmation of the Damage Deck promo? The guy at the store couldn't find anything about it on the order page and said it's probably something that's done when they put the actual order in.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Found out my FLGS has a membership program. You pay $5 to join, then every $50 you spend in a month gets you $5 off something, $100 gets you $10, etc.

I guess that's alright, $45 conversion kits before tax which I would have to pay online anyway, along with maybe shipping.

Has anyone else pre-ordered the core and got confirmation of the Damage Deck promo? The guy at the store couldn't find anything about it on the order page and said it's probably something that's done when they put the actual order in.

Be real careful with your flgs about that. I preordered Twilight Imperium 4th ed from mine so I would get the hardback promo book (I'm a complete slut for hardbacks), but they didn't put their order in until the preorder swag had already run out. I got nothing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

Be real careful with your flgs about that. I preordered Twilight Imperium 4th ed from mine so I would get the hardback promo book (I'm a complete slut for hardbacks), but they didn't put their order in until the preorder swag had already run out. I got nothing.

I intend to pester them constantly.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My local place specifically advertised getting the damage deck if you pre-ordered.
I’ve also heard you’ll get it if you manage to buy at Gen Con, if that makes any difference. I’ll be there, but I’m not standing in that line.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Funzo posted:

My local place specifically advertised getting the damage deck if you pre-ordered.
I’ve also heard you’ll get it if you manage to buy at Gen Con, if that makes any difference. I’ll be there, but I’m not standing in that line.

I probably will because I can't help but make terrible decisions.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Decided to read some YouTube video comments and drat, there are A LOT of mad YouTube people. It feels like they want to Battlefront 2 this poo poo but they just do not have enough people seeing it as a bad move on FFGs part (which it isn't, imho).

FFG is not Electronic Arts.

That doesn't stop them from getting irrationality angry over an edition update on a crazy popular wargame that started to burst at the seems from bolted on mechanics, FAQs and evident power creep.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm really glad that bulleyes and moving firing arcs are being integrated as basic mechanics, both of them rule.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I am going to Gen Con this year and apparently that's where the reboot is going to start. However I can't find any X-Wing 2.0 events on their calendar. How are we supposed to get these new kits at Gen Con? I want to get a couple of them if I can.

Just wait in line at the FFG booth?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I am going to Gen Con this year and apparently that's where the reboot is going to start. However I can't find any X-Wing 2.0 events on their calendar. How are we supposed to get these new kits at Gen Con? I want to get a couple of them if I can.

Only the Core Set will be at GenCon, and you will have to wait in a 3+ hour line to get them.

Or just wait until September 13th for official release.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't know if the details have come out yet or not, but if other FFG early releases are any indication, you'll be standing in line. It will be long.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Friend of mine was at Worlds, and was told there will be a kick-off event at Gen Con, but won’t be in the catalog by Sunday when registration opens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Funzo posted:

Friend of mine was at Worlds, and was told there will be a kick-off event at Gen Con, but won’t be in the catalog by Sunday when registration opens.

Ugh. Gencon events are already a shitshow (as is everything with planning a Gencon weekend), but having to follow and try to get in to an event added at a later time is even worse. Probably have to skip it like Lot5R last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Watching the Top 16 at world's and 2.0 can't come soon enough. Blah