Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Attitude Indicator posted:

I hate pepsi and i’m not loving leaving until you do to!!

:jerky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

Route b is boring as gently caress to play through

I like games where you can play the same scenarios with different characters. I think 9S just isnt different enough from 2B mechanically (compared to lets say Raiden and Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear)

But on my 2nd hard playthrough I warmed up to him because im playing through the same stuff anyway.

The only complaint I have is that hacking doesnt really serve a purpose if you upgraded your poo poo so I never had a use for it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 5, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hacking might be one of my single favorite parts of that game. The seamless transition of the music, and the way you can use it strategically to damage big enemies, not to mention the evolution of the different variants. It's like gaming bliss to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God of Snore

Nier Automa...bore!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rier autofarter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Rier autofarter

:wow:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fridge corn posted:

Ive played through the prologue of Andromeda and I like it so far. The facial animation is not bad enough for me to care except that one woman on the nexus you probably know which one im on about but honestly its such a minor thing idk why it was such a big deal

They actually fixed that and some of the other worst facial animations.

Doesn't change that the facial animation/capture/direction is still demonstrably worse than even Mass Effect 1.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look if you think the combat in Nier: A is engaging and you the think the combat in God of War is shallow and repetitive then the particular brand of brain worms you have probably renders this conversation impossible.

Kratos has more moves with his starting weapon than 2B/9S have with their entire arsenal unlocked and Atreus is basically a much more useful Pod. Kratos can completely change his play style and approach to multiple scenarios, the Yorha approach every single fight in every single encounter or boss in exactly the same way (Spam Dodge, hold down fire, spam light attack//hack).

You CAN play God of War that way and you’d be missing out on the other 90% of its engine and what it’s trying to do. That is absolutely the optimal way to play Nier: A, unless the DLC combat arenas dramatically shift the goalposts since I beat it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Thats how I would describe DMC3 because its the blandest action game Ive ever played but people defend it to death because you can jump cancel infinitely.

I really dont like that game

lol

Uninformed statements on DMC style games are the best because you can tell that people who make them never bothered to try things out for themselves and engage with any sort of mechanics beyond 'button does thing'

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Question for goons:

I bought a PS4 when it first came out and just recently inadvertently broke the hdmi port. Most places around want at least $100 to fix it. Gamestop will give me $100 toward a PS4 pro. So what would you guys do?

1. Pay to have it fixed
2. Trade it in a buy a pro
3. Git Good, fix it yourself :science:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WalletBeef posted:

Question for goons:

I bought a PS4 when it first came out and just recently inadvertently broke the hdmi port. Most places around want at least $100 to fix it. Gamestop will give me $100 toward a PS4 pro. So what would you guys do?

1. Pay to have it fixed

Get a Pro!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

WalletBeef posted:

Question for goons:

1. Pay to have it fixed

Pro, my dude. Go with the Pro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

GOW being my first ps4 game is setting some stupidly impossible standards. I just got to the lake last night and my mind is blown with each new area i come across. And this poo poo looks pin perfect on a regular ps4. :aaaaa:

Aww, poo poo, you've hosed yourself now. You should've started with a Kingdom Hearts rerelease or XCom 2 or something with a bit of jank to it first before going there.

Ooh, I've got it, you should've picked up Iconoclasts or Undertale.

Jesus Christ grandpa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNXk5nT3SdQ&t=145s

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 5, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

I like games where you can play the same scenarios with different characters. I think 9S just isnt different enough from 2B mechanically (compared to lets say Raiden and Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear)

But on my 2nd hard playthrough I warmed up to him because im playing through the same stuff anyway.

The only complaint I have is that hacking doesnt really serve a purpose if you upgraded your poo poo so I never had a use for it

Hacking is far and away quicker at killing most Machines. Especially some of the bosses.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know about runes but they only sort of combo off each other and with the cool downs feel more like playing an MMO than anything. Though yeah some of the abilities are cool.

It's not runs. It's the powers you can buy when you level up the axe.

It gets way more smooth and good. I thought it was clunky as hell at the start. By the end of the games it's pretty complex and flows really well. Runes are just icing.

The game has a complexity curve in its combat system, which makes it feel bad at first. Yeah

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I have an external hdd for my PS4 pro, that wouldn't turn itself off when suspending the console.
After an update the hdd turns itself off when suspending but now no updates or patches will download to it when in that status and it's supremely aggravating. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bombadilillo posted:

It's not runs. It's the powers you can buy when you level up the axe.

It gets way more smooth and good. I thought it was clunky as hell at the start. By the end of the games it's pretty complex and flows really well. Runes are just icing.

Uh, Runes are not just icing, Runic attacks are massive boosts to damage and crowd control (loaded with i-frames and/or Super Armor) and probably the best way to handle all the tougher challenges in the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, Runes are not just icing, Runic attacks are massive boosts to damage and crowd control (loaded with i-frames and/or Super Armor) and probably the best way to handle all the tougher challenges in the game.

He's talking about combat feeling bad. It gets good without even without runes, regardless of how good runes are.

Context is important.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 5, 2018

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Combat does feel kind of lovely at the beginning. I think I would have preferred the entire move set unlocked from the start with runic attacks remaining customizable.

The whole progression system in GoW is just unsatisfying imo. Its not really exciting to get XP or new gear and the random amounts of XP you get for doing various things makes it feel completely arbitrary.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bust Rodd posted:

Look if you think the combat in Nier: A is engaging and you the think the combat in God of War is shallow and repetitive then the particular brand of brain worms you have probably renders this conversation impossible.

Lol are people actually saying this? I like God of War and Nier-A, 2 great videogames with rabid fanbases who perhaps over-inflate how good each property is but the combat in Nier-A was on the borderline of serviceable at best. I'm not massively in love with the GoW combat system but Nier-A was about as complex as Streets of Rage or Golden Axe.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice loving Meltdowns everyone

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagine getting this mad that other people like good video games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And to think, that people worry that it's walking simulators that are going to kill the gaming industry.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nachos posted:

Combat does feel kind of lovely at the beginning. I think I would have preferred the entire move set unlocked from the start with runic attacks remaining customizable.

The whole progression system in GoW is just unsatisfying imo. Its not really exciting to get XP or new gear and the random amounts of XP you get for doing various things makes it feel completely arbitrary.

I agree completely. I like where it ends up, I did not like getting there. I see what they were going for. Trying to give you more options slowly so you can learn everything. Still felt pretty impotent at the start. First troll boss was not fun.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I agree with the combat leaving a bad impression at the beginning. I felt the tutorial could've been a lot faster. I was mashing the buttons all the time trying to get Kratos to quickstep turn until they gave me that function later. Definitely feels clunky moving and it's confusing which environments you can vault over/walk up until you are close enough for a button prompt to appear.

I can see the combat getting fun once you get a hang of the movement. Also, I felt overwhelmed the first time I pressed option and saw all the upgrade poo poo. Hope they ease into that with a tutorial soon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Red Warrior posted:

They actually fixed that and some of the other worst facial animations.

Doesn't change that the facial animation/capture/direction is still demonstrably worse than even Mass Effect 1.

Yeah it's not great but perfectly fine. Most of the time when people are speaking I find im reading the subtitles anyway and not really paying attention to the animations.

Anyway played it a few more hours this morning and the combat is pretty fun and fast paced, running and jumping and dodging and charging and shotgunning or omni tooling to the face all feels very nice imo. Andromeda is...... Good?!?!?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Never really played a David Cage game game before, so been playing Two Souls for a few hours. Some weak spots aesthetically compared to modern titles but most of it holds up remarkably well, was likely a stunner when it came out on PS3. It's obviously a 'guided' experience to put it mildly, but I can...kind of get into it at points.

...but jfc, is Cage an alien? Has he interacted with humans before? I was positive when the party turned sour that it was a dream sequence from Jodie passing out from me getting her hammered + stoned. WTF was that? PEOPLE DON'T ACT LIKE THAT DAVID

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

lol

Uninformed statements on DMC style games are the best because you can tell that people who make them never bothered to try things out for themselves and engage with any sort of mechanics beyond 'button does thing'

Im pretty good at DMC3. Its just that the you are literally fighting the same reaper mob over and over while awful repetitive battle music plays and the environments are just random rooms with no sense of purpose or context.

Im sorry Im good at the game but I dont like it

Many of the hack and slash games I like are guilty of some of these but not all at the same time

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 5, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WaltherFeng posted:

awful repetitive battle music

You will not disgrace the good names of Tetsuya Shibata and SHOOTIE HG like this.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im not claiming Metal Gear Rising is a gift to heavy rock (its pretty awesome tho) but at least you hear lots different stuff

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

both osts are good op

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaltherFeng posted:

Im not claiming Metal Gear Rising is a gift to heavy rock (its pretty awesome tho) but at least you hear lots different stuff

It’s the best soundtrack of all time actually

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Jesus Christ why are y’all so angry about games lol

In other news I finished the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC in AC: O and hoo Boy! That’s a good DLC. The afterlife areas are a lot of fun to mess around in and the boss fights are really good on harder difficulties. I’d definitely recommend it, though not so much the first DLC (Hidden Ones) as that was a bit of a damp squib.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Arguing overnight about what other people should like is some galaxy brain poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Never really played a David Cage game game before, so been playing Two Souls for a few hours. Some weak spots aesthetically compared to modern titles but most of it holds up remarkably well, was likely a stunner when it came out on PS3. It's obviously a 'guided' experience to put it mildly, but I can...kind of get into it at points.

...but jfc, is Cage an alien? Has he interacted with humans before? I was positive when the party turned sour that it was a dream sequence from Jodie passing out from me getting her hammered + stoned. WTF was that? PEOPLE DON'T ACT LIKE THAT DAVID

David cage is deffo naive af about basic human physiology from whats in 2 souls, forget the social weirdness. he thinks babys about to be born are head up in the womb, he doesnt know afterbirth is a thing, and he thinks twins are connected by the same umbilical to each other

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Samuringa posted:

Arguing overnight about what other people should like is some galaxy brain poo poo

It’s not an argument if they are objectively wrong though :colbert:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not an argument if they are objectively wrong though :colbert:

Stop

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I miss the days of complaining about ps+ games

But hey Rayman is always cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Welp the gf just surprised me with assassins creed origins so im really spoilt for choice on what to play now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

fridge corn posted:

Welp the gf just surprised me with assassins creed origins so im really spoilt for choice on what to play now

Nice double post fridge corn

EDIT: Oh, that was in another thread.

Anyway, picked up God of war. Where's the thread for that?