Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/WabKinew/status/992469464917594112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tippecanoe posted:

Every time I try to use the crosswalk by my house I mentally prepare myself to die

This. On-demand crosswalks are just a less safe version of jaywalking.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

May the Fourth done tastefully. Well done!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Wab Kinew will have the high ground and Pallister will terrorize the galaxy for 20 years.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Madkal posted:

Hey Canada thread. I am arguing on Facebook right now with some BC libertarian about why the private sector is better than the government in providing social services for everyone and I feel like I have to drink a gallon of leaded paint just to understand this. I didn't even know BC had libertarians but since the NDP dared to propose a .2% property tax raise to property worth more than 3 million to pay for education and school seismic upgrades they have crawled out of the woodwork. I think someone unironically said taxation is akin to slavery and someone said education is a waste of money anyway.
That is my story. I weep now.

Every second newspaper article about provincial politics quotes the loving Canadian Taxpayers Federation without comment, so yes, there's a pretty terrible libertarian / FYGM streak running through this province.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Karen Stintz on The Agenda on TVO talking about the TTC, the downtown relief line and the Scarborough subway makes me kind of mad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I think it's supposed to be orange. The conservative one was cringier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHXvLfi12m0

That's a real lovely orange though, clearly a different color than the orange text right next to it. If only the NDP were competent.

Also LOL at Mr. 'Walking to my car, better take out my sword'.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I so want John Oliver to do a And Now This segment on baffling star Wars related ads for Canadian politicians.

He might if you email his show about it or something, it seems like exactly the sort of thing he would do.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

patonthebach posted:

What am I missing about the Erin Weir story?

from the cbc article

"What, exactly, did Weir do in the first place? Again, that is unclear. Singh said the investigation "found that Mr. Weir failed to read non-verbal cues in social settings and that his behaviour resulted in significant negative impacts to the complainants." It also noted that Weir stopped his advances when he was told they were unwanted.

Weir's office has characterized these encounters as completely innocuous: "The investigator made a general finding of 'sexual harassment' that Weir had probably sat or stood too close to people at social events and engaged them in conversation more than they wished to speak with him."

Fired for standing close to people and talking to them for too long?

My assumption is that the reason he was kicked out of caucus has little to do with the complaint, and everything to do with his reaction to the complaint. Instead of just saying he was sorry or whatever, he trotted out some story of being persecuted for his views on the carbon tax. I can imagine caucus viewed him as not a team player and is happy to be rid of him.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
This thread is pretty big so sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have a good breakdown of the NDP platform in the Ontario election. I'm mulling over whether it's worth voting for them at all.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

tekz posted:

This thread is pretty big so sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have a good breakdown of the NDP platform in the Ontario election. I'm mulling over whether it's worth voting for them at all.

Before I throw talking points at you let me ask you a few questions:

What are the issues that matter to you?

What do you think the biggest problems with the status quo in this province are and what is your vision for this province can be?

If not the NDP, do you lean towards any other political party?

What is it that has you on the fence about voting for them?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tekz posted:

We will let you know when they release it on June 8th.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

tekz posted:

https://www.ontariondp.ca/platform

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last night I learned a whole bunch of my coworkers are Joel Harden supporters.

A surprise given where I work.

Joel seems to have a good chance to win this riding. Hope he manages it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

flashy_mcflash posted:

Man I'm still voting NDP but why do they make it so hard

I am embarrassed and ashamed about donating money to them now.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i like embracing the embarrassing mom angle

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

RBC posted:

i like embracing the embarrassing mom angle

If McGuinty was Premier Dad, maybe we can finally get Premier Mom?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Don't waste your time reading this drivel.

Better off reading what the actual supermajority party's policies and stuff is gonna be once I can find it on here: https://www.ontariopc.ca/

All I get is an even fatter Trump haranguing Wynne.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Anal Sex Lady is out.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/992887659281420288

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LMBO.

All her second round votes for leadership went to Ford. The religious right are going to be loving steamed.

Especially after the exact same thing happened under Patrick Brown.

The Trillium party's back baby!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Arabian Jesus posted:

Before I throw talking points at you let me ask you a few questions:

What are the issues that matter to you?

What do you think the biggest problems with the status quo in this province are and what is your vision for this province can be?

If not the NDP, do you lean towards any other political party?

What is it that has you on the fence about voting for them?

Affordable housing, wealth inequality and the economy. I feel like the tech and real estate bubbles are going to blow up at some point and I want a government prepared for it and to diversify away from it by encouraging other industries, like having a real economy ala Germany that's based on designing/producing goods of actual value that are desired worldwide rather than Juicero startup scams and real estate speculation. Also a government that doesn't respond to deficits with austerity, which has historically proven a disaster everywhere it's been implemented, but that's willing to push for a greater state role in the econom through nationalizations (I will never vote for the Liberals because of Hydro One) of things like utilities, transport and other stuff which provides the government with actual revenue with which to support social services.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tekz posted:

Affordable housing, wealth inequality and the economy. I feel like the tech and real estate bubbles are going to blow up at some point and I want a government prepared for it and to diversify away from it by encouraging other industries, like having a real economy ala Germany that's based on designing/producing goods of actual value that are desired worldwide rather than Juicero startup scams and real estate speculation. Also a government that doesn't respond to deficits with austerity, which has historically proven a disaster everywhere it's been implemented, but that's willing to push for a greater state role in the econom through nationalizations (I will never vote for the Liberals because of Hydro One) of things like utilities, transport and other stuff which provides the government with actual revenue with which to support social services.

These desires are quite lofty given the current political climate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

tekz posted:

No political party currently supports the goals that you describe, at least not in any systematic fashion. The NDP is adjacent to some of those goals or nominally would agree with you on them, but like most traditional social democratic parties in the western world they mostly just put a friendly gloss onto left-neoliberal policies like means tested income support for targeted groups or certain mild and popular expansions of the social safety net such as pharmacare or day care. The NDP will probably pass some policies that would make life a bit easier for people on the bottom, and they might appoint slightly more progressive judges than the other parties.

The most that could be said is that the NDP is the closest thing to a mass based organization that to some degree theoretically still opposes neoliberalism. Within the NDP there are individuals and small groups who advocate for a more muscular and genuine left-wing set of policies. If the NDP were to win or at least make a very strong showing on their current platform then this would probably give some validation to those people in the NDP who are calling for a more Bernie Sanders/Jeremy Corbyn style orientation toward the party.

Now to be clear, that doesn't mean the current NDP is actually anywhere close to even the mild social democracy of Sanders, let alone Corbyn. But if you want to give a mild boost toward the people within the party who like those two politicians then voting NDP might not be a bad idea.

I won't endorse them more strongly than that because the party does suck and isn't relaibly left-wing anymore, but I think it's the closest thing to a left party we've got and that it's easier to work with and within the NDP than trying to start from scratch.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

LMBO.

All her second round votes for leadership went to Ford. The religious right are going to be loving steamed.

Especially after the exact same thing happened under Patrick Brown.

The Trillium party's back baby!

:hmbol: And here i was thinking he had good enough sense into keep the social conservatives close until after the election.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Reince Penis posted:

:hmbol: And here i was thinking he had good enough sense into keep the social conservatives close until after the election.

Lotta salt in the replies here.

https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/992883540449681408

But TGA might drop some nifty tidbits! :munch:

https://twitter.com/TGranicAllen/status/992902031483564034

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 6, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:bisonyes:

And here I thought the meltdown had ended with the leadership election.

I wanna see this get ugly

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

:bisonyes:

And here I thought the meltdown had ended with the leadership election.

I wanna see this get ugly

https://twitter.com/chlaforet/status/992932636237664256

Internal polling you say?

https://twitter.com/michaelcoren/status/992909100081188864

Lmao

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

tekz posted:

So uh... what country are you moving to where this is a realistic ask?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh my gosh.

It's like Christmas. Again.

This is so beautiful

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

"Ten thousand paid up troops."

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 6, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This should be fun:

quote:

One of the startling and disappointing aspects of the whole thing is the number of Christians who have embraced this new form of politics — whether it’s with Doug Ford in Ontario, President Donald Trump in the United States or even Brexit in the United Kingdom. When Ford became leader, he was backed by former rival candidate Tanya Granic Allen. She’s an orthodox Roman Catholic, vehemently opposed to abortion rights and the province’s sex-ed curriculum. Campaign Life Coalition, the country’s largest anti-choice and anti-equal marriage lobby group, claimed after Ford’s victory that it had recruited more than 9,000 new PC members in support of Allen and had asked its people to rank Ford number two.

Another figure behind the scenes was Charles McVety, president of the Institute for Canadian Values and one of the most high-profile evangelical Christians in Canada. He had asked his Facebook followers to pray for Ford, partly because, in his words, “2 million Ontario children [are] being experimented on as we speak with radical six gender sex education.” He also provided a video guide to help his supporters complete online voter registration forms.

In other words, without conservative Christian activism and support, Doug Ford would likely not have become PC leader, and thus would not have a chance of becoming premier of Ontario. South of the border, 81 percent of white evangelical voters cast a ballot for Trump, and there is every indication this following has remained solid.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Oh my gosh.

It's like Christmas. Again.

This is so beautiful

If only the same would happen in Alberta.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Uh... wow....

quote:

RED DEER, Alta. - United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney, in a fiery speech to party members, is promising an all-out attack on the "green left" and those who secretly fund and support the demonization of Alberta's oil.

"The special interests have targeted Alberta oil and not Saudi, Venezuelan, or Russian oil because they saw us as the boy scouts, the soft target," Kenney told about 3,000 delegates and observers in his keynote speech at the party's founding convention Saturday night.

"If I'm premier, those days are over.

"We will fight back for economic survival."

The battle, he said, will be waged on multiple fronts.

"We will set up a fully staffed rapid response war room in government to quickly and effectively rebut every lie told by the green left about our world class energy industry," he said.

"We will pass a law banning foreign money from being spent by special interests during Alberta elections."

Kenney said a UCP government would create a special legislature committee to probe the sources of foreign money funding any groups working against Alberta's interests.

He vowed to fight through the courts if necessary to get Ottawa to strip charitable status from "bogus charities" such as the David Suzuki foundation.

Suzuki has been highly critical of Alberta's oilsands and has called for it to be shut down.

Kenney also reiterated earlier comments to take actions on lenders working against Alberta's interests, such as HSBC.

HSBC, Europe's largest bank, announced last month it would no longer finance fossil fuel ventures such as pipelines and oilsands.

"If companies like HSBC decide to boycott our oilsands, our government will boycott them," said Kenney, adding that he will be rounding up allies.

"We will politely ask the energy industry groups to up their game in telling their story and stop playing defence," he said.

"We need an industry champion to follow the lead of the brave forestry company Resolute Forest Products, which is standing up to bullying by suing (environmental advocate) Greenpeace for defamation."

The speech is set against the background of Alberta fighting to get the Trans Mountain pipeline expanded.

Ottawa has already given approval for the Kinder Morgan project, which would triple the amount of oil flowing from Alberta to tankers on the B.C. coast.

B.C. is fighting the project, saying the risk of oil spills is too high, and Kinder Morgan has now said it will decide by the end of the month whether the project is still feasible.

In retaliation for B.C.'s action, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley briefly banned B.C. wine, and is bringing in legislation that may see oil flows to B.C. reduced, causing gasoline and other prices to potentially spike.

Kenney said Notley's team has misplaced its trust in Prime Minister Trudeau to see the pipeline completed, and has also failed to take the fight to Alberta's opponents.

He said, on the oil front, and in areas ranging from fiscal policy to education to a carbon tax, Notley's NDP deserves to be voted out in the spring 2019 election.

"Our province is being damaged every day by an ideological government that takes its inspiration from the failed theories of socialism, by a resentment of success, a distrust of enterprise," said Kenney.

"The New Democrats are not bad people. They just have bad ideas."

The UCP was created on a plan launched two years ago by Kenney to amalgamate the two right-centre Wildrose and Progressive Conservative parties.

Kenney urged the party members to keep working hard.

"If we present a positive vision of economic renewal, I guarantee you this tax-raising, debt-quadrupling, job-killing NDP accidental government will be one and done," he said to cheers.

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018/05/06/jason-kenney-declares-war-on-green-left-takes-aim-at-david-suzuki-foundation.html

Jason Kenney ruling Alberta. Doug Ford ruling Ontario. Andrew Scheer sitting on the throne.

And all of those things seem like a sure thing at the moment.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol

Wirth1000 posted:

Uh... wow....

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018/05/06/jason-kenney-declares-war-on-green-left-takes-aim-at-david-suzuki-foundation.html

Jason Kenney ruling Alberta. Doug Ford ruling Ontario. Andrew Scheer sitting on the throne.

looking forward to kenneys thoughts on the charitable status of the fraser institute

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's a joke...

I know we don't see them much round these parts, but that's what they look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

Uh... wow....

Yes I'm sure Suzuki is going after Alberta oil because it's a "soft target" and not because like, he lives in Canada instead of Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or Russia.

I mean I realize the whole thing is stupid but that line doesn't even make any SENSE.