Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait I should have said Tumblr. Couldn't remember what that thing was called.

Oh a new page. Well enjoy discussing how crazy people who gently caress in fur suits think it's normal and mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I've heard of cats running for congress but this is just silly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Kelly Townsend is me irl asking innocent questions and posing head scratchers while being derided as a hot take artist

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Kelly Townsend is me irl asking innocent questions and posing head scratchers while being derided as a hot take artist

I think the problem is that you're asking what might have just been a tongue-in-cheek question, "why respect furries less than trans people", and the unspoken implication of that comment is that, on some level, these people shouldn't be respected, or should be respected less, whatever. That's why you're getting the backlash - because if you have to ask why you're not respecting people (for whatever reason), you've just demonstrated that the notion of showing less respect for people, based on dumb reasons like their gender identity, is not something you've already figured is stupid and crass.

From my experience, people who get super-invested in identifying as gamers are typically way loving worse people than furries, and it has nothing to do with the trivial poo poo like how they identify themselves within a nerdy subculture and everything to do with how they treat other people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vindicator posted:

I think the problem is that you're asking what might have just been a tongue-in-cheek question, "why respect furries less than trans people", and the unspoken implication of that comment is that, on some level, these people shouldn't be respected, or should be respected less, whatever. That's why you're getting the backlash - because if you have to ask why you're not respecting people (for whatever reason), you've just demonstrated that the notion of showing less respect for people, based on dumb reasons like their gender identity, is not something you've already figured is stupid and crass.

From my experience, people who get super-invested in identifying as gamers are typically way loving worse people than furries, and it has nothing to do with the trivial poo poo like how they identify themselves within a nerdy subculture and everything to do with how they treat other people.

I was just addressing the thread going ha ha furries et al and judging everyone's ways of finding community or feeling comfortable with themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way goons went on about furries almost seemed a bit uncomfortably like the way conservatives go on about gay and trans people. And doesn't help that a ton of furries are gay and/or trans. Also doesn't help that it's a passion equally shared by 4chan and similar places.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

posting is a passion shared by both 4chan and something awful. makes you think

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

posting is a passion shared by both 4chan and something awful. makes you think

And Stormfront / Fetlife.

Ahem. I assume. :gonk:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Vindicator posted:

lol JBP posts don't deserve this many words

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

lol JBP posts don't deserve this many words

Gamer spotted

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

predicted finding of the aps comission: hire accenture lots

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

how the gently caress did none of you post this image from that abc article about furries?

quote:

Photo: Bill McRobb says his computer-controlled peacock character Glamourfan helped him land an IT job.

the smirnoff bottle, the paddington bear smoking framed photo, the cigar box, the fedora, a TYPE WRITER, A lovely $20 PLASTIC GLOBE, A PRINTED OUT PINNED A3 MAP OF GTA VICE CITY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Best GTA, I'm down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gucci bane posted:

how the gently caress did none of you post this image from that abc article about furries?

the smirnoff bottle, the paddington bear smoking framed photo, the cigar box, the fedora, a TYPE WRITER, A lovely $20 PLASTIC GLOBE, A PRINTED OUT PINNED A3 MAP OF GTA VICE CITY

Is that... is that a young Barnaby?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
furries are cool and good. bronies, however,

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Gamer spotted

Inaccurate, I don't have time for games of the videoed variety

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Best GTA, I'm down.

Truth

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

san andreas supremacy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Inaccurate, I don't have time for games of the videoed variety

I bet you don't have a tv either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Computer monitors > TVs

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overhead Projector > computer monitors > TVs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The best GTA story was 4

The best game was San Andreas

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lid posted:

The best GTA story was 4

Correct opinions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best GTA is Saints Row 2.

The best Saints Row, as an aside, is Saints Row IV.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Nicko! Cousin! Sorry to interrupt your 9th consecutive dumb poo poo ferry mission but it's time to go bowling,

(GTA 4 was boring as poo poo)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cleretic posted:

The best GTA is Saints Row 2.

The best Saints Row, as an aside, is Saints Row IV.

Good opinions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

All open world games are trash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Don Dongington posted:

Nicko! Cousin! Sorry to interrupt your 9th consecutive dumb poo poo ferry mission but it's time to go bowling,

(GTA 4 was boring as poo poo)

This is why GTA 4 isnt the best game.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Super disappointed with the story and gunplay in GTA V. The best GTA was Chinatown Wars

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

JBP posted:

All open world games are trash.

They are the opiate of the gamers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Turnbull government has unveiled a plan to recover billions of dollars being lost to federal coffers from a combination of undetected tobacco imports, illegal tobacco crops known as "chop chop" and a thriving black market in stolen, untaxed cigarettes.

Revenue and Financial Services Minister Kelly O'Dwyer said a flourishing illegal trade was costing taxpayers billions while the proceeds were going on to fund other criminal activities.

This sounds like complete nonsense.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

The Turnbull government has unveiled a plan to recover billions of dollars being lost to federal coffers from a combination of undetected tobacco imports, illegal tobacco crops known as "chop chop" and a thriving black market in stolen, untaxed cigarettes.

Revenue and Financial Services Minister Kelly O'Dwyer said a flourishing illegal trade was costing taxpayers billions while the proceeds were going on to fund other criminal activities.

If there was a flourishing black market of cigarettes, literally nobody would buy them anywhere else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk radio national has been going on about black market smokes so there's probably something to it. It's always been a thing though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

The best GTA story was 4

Actually Vice City was the best

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Idk radio national has been going on about black market smokes so there's probably something to it. It's always been a thing though.

The government expects to increase revenue through a suite of new measures by $3.6 billion over four years.

It estimates that 864 tonnes of illicit tobacco escapes duty each year.

The Australian Taxation Office will be given expanded powers to charge tobacco duties and other tax liabilities on cigarettes when they enter the country rather than when the product leaves a licensed warehouse in Australia destined for the retail market.

And a new multi-agency Tobacco Taskforce, to be formally announced in the budget on Tuesday, will crack down on criminal gangs and organised crime syndicates which each year, move a staggering amount of the product beyond the taxman's reach in the black economy.

To be led by the Australian Border Force, the Tobacco Taskforce's operating brief will be to enforce the toughened laws and to "dismantle illicit tobacco supply chains".

Authorities believe significant quantities of cigarettes are illegally removed from tobacco warehouses for sale on the black market. Some of this theft may be piecemeal by employees, but larger-scale removal of cigarettes from warehouses is also occurring.

To address this "leakage", a tightened regulatory framework will ensure the integrity of the tobacco duty regime and new resources will be provided to the ATO to meet the challenge of home-grown supply for the illicit tobacco trade.

Among those changes will be a new requirement to obtain a permit to import tobacco.

The government says it has seized an estimated 98 tonnes of illicit tobacco this financial year alone, which would have netted the taxpayer almost $90 million in revenue had it been sold legally.

In a single operation in Queensland, 31 tonnes was seized, which would have netted $29 million in duty. In Victoria, $48 million has been foregone on the tobacco seized, which weighed in at a nation-leading 53 tonnes. Seizures in NSW so far this year have accounted for 14 tonnes or $13 million in foregone revenue.

The previous financial year, the ATO seized 117 tonnes at an estimated total value in terms of duty of $90 million.

Estimates from the Department of Home Affairs and the ATO say this is merely a fraction of the total revenue foregone each year, which is as high as $600 million.

In January this year, three people allegedly connected to a tobacco smuggling syndicate operating through Melbourne Airport's international terminal were charged in relation to a haul of 1 million cigarettes. Authorities say that had a street value of $682,500 and would have raised duties close to three-quarters of a million dollars if sold legally.

In another instance, Australian Border Force officers in conjunction with the Australian Federal Police's Criminal Assets Confiscation Taskforce, seized luxury vehicles, jewellery and $9 million in cash regarded as the proceeds of crime.

Ms O'Dwyer said the extent of the problem called for even tougher anti-corruption measures, particularly because criminals operating in the tobacco black market were using it to finance other off-book endeavours.

"The illicit tobacco market is dominated by organised crime groups, which use tobacco profits to fund their other criminal and black economy activities,” she said.

“These strong new measures will shut down the avenues that organised crime syndicates have to access illicit tobacco to fund criminal activity.”

The changes build on those introduced in legislation earlier this year dealing with illicit tobacco offences, which included tougher penalties for tobacco-related offences of up to 10 years' imprisonment.

Government figures revealed the ATO had undertaken 26 operations since July 2016 in which the seizure and destruction of 215 tonnes of illicit tobacco had occurred. It said this would have netted $179 million in tobacco duty. Over the same time, the ATO had executed 55 warrants relating to breaches of the Excise Act.

The attraction of black market cigarettes has grown because of the ease with which successive governments have increased imposts without fear of political backlash.

In his first budget in 2016, Treasurer Scott Morrison announced an annual 12.5 per cent rise in tobacco excise for each of the next four years. This continued the sharp upward trajectory of cigarette prices which have climbed by more than 340 per cent since 1996.

The crackdown on illegal tobacco is unlikely to garner any opposition within Parliament with all major parties aware of the lethal risks of smoking.

On Friday, Mr Morrison announced a tax reduction for the smaller capacity beer kegs favoured by craft beer makers, putting them on a par with the larger ones used by the major brewers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

free enterprise bithc

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Never mind the avocado, are you spending too much on getting fit to get a home loan?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/are-you-exercising-your-way-out-of-a-home-loan-20180502-p4zcyz.html

Surely this has peaked now?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

Based on the LNP/IPA track record of announcements this is a case of [citation needed] for any claims they make.

On anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Resident Idiot posted:

Never mind the avocado, are you spending too much on getting fit to get a home loan?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/are-you-exercising-your-way-out-of-a-home-loan-20180502-p4zcyz.html

Surely this has peaked now?

Not yet. They haven't started complaining about millennials daring to buy new clothes instead of getting everything from second hand stores & charities.

• Locked thread