Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Welp the gf just surprised me with assassins creed origins so im really spoilt for choice on what to play now

It’s really good but tbh my Top Tip is to take it slow, don’t try to rush through the main story because if you do that it will feel very...well, rushed, in terms of timescale. Chill out and enjoy the world while doing side quests that sound interesting.

Also, play around with different weapon types - they all feel and play very differently and change up the way battles feel. Personally I ended up enjoying straight swords the most but heavy blunt and curved swords are also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

David cage is deffo naive af about basic human physiology from whats in 2 souls, forget the social weirdness. he thinks babys about to be born are head up in the womb, he doesnt know afterbirth is a thing, and he thinks twins are connected by the same umbilical to each other

He also made a game where a detective fucks a zombie former murder suspect and you kung fu fight the internet. And I made it sound less weird than it actually is.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GoW really does a horrible job of explaining how things work.

I found out by accident that you can press L3+R3 again to cancel Spartan Rage if you no longer need it. You don't have to run down the meter all the time.

Merely activating (not using) one of the magic doors will replenish your health.

On the other hand, I still can't get some of the moves to work, no matter how hard I try.

"Press R2 on the second to last combo to unleash a final heavy strike" - what?
No idea how the timing works.
Good thing you don't need all skills to succeed.

What do some of the bonuses to your weapons do?
After you meet World Serpent for the first time and it spits out your axe, the hint "Eitr imbued" flashes up briefly. As do several Drwarven enchantments after Brok and Sindri handle it in cutscenes. What do those do, just randomly improve stats? Feels unintuitive and/or useless.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There are black borders on my TV when I play GoW. I checked the settings but it seems like I can't stretch the screen or whatever?
Also throwing and recalling your axe is cool as gently caress. Your axe even deals damage if it hits someone when it's flying back to you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shut up blegum posted:

There are black borders on my TV when I play GoW. I checked the settings but it seems like I can't stretch the screen or whatever?
Also throwing and recalling your axe is cool as gently caress. Your axe even deals damage if it hits someone when it's flying back to you.

Did you update? The borders were a launch bug

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bombadilillo posted:

It's not runs. It's the powers you can buy when you level up the axe.

It gets way more smooth and good. I thought it was clunky as hell at the start. By the end of the games it's pretty complex and flows really well. Runes are just icing.

The game has a complexity curve in its combat system, which makes it feel bad at first. Yeah

I thought the powers were called runes. I don’t know I never paid any attention to the terminology as it really doesn’t matter. I do know that while the powers make things better I still wouldn’t call it good and to be honest I still think Neirs is better.

I’m at the point were the only fights I actually look forward to are Valkries which are fun but more in a Dark Souls way. Whenever I enter a new room and the enemies spawn I just think not this poo poo again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shut up blegum posted:

I have those on Yakuza 6 and FFXV for some reason.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

mcbexx posted:

GoW really does a horrible job of explaining how things work.

I found out by accident that you can press L3+R3 again to cancel Spartan Rage if you no longer need it. You don't have to run down the meter all the time.

Merely activating (not using) one of the magic doors will replenish your health.

On the other hand, I still can't get some of the moves to work, no matter how hard I try.

"Press R2 on the second to last combo to unleash a final heavy strike" - what?
No idea how the timing works.
Good thing you don't need all skills to succeed.

What do some of the bonuses to your weapons do?
After you meet World Serpent for the first time and it spits out your axe, the hint "Eitr imbued" flashes up briefly. As do several Drwarven enchantments after Brok and Sindri handle it in cutscenes. What do those do, just randomly improve stats? Feels unintuitive and/or useless.

Mash light a bunch. He swings way left. Then way right. Swinging right is your queue to mash heavy.

It's really strong and was my default combo once I got the hang of it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 5, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Real hurthling! posted:

Did you update? The borders were a launch bug

Yeah, I downloaded patch 1.17 before I started playing. Weird.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm currently playing nier after finishing and not being that impressed with gow and even with that in mind the combat in nier is subjectively Not As Good. It's that bland that I might just stick it on Easy and turn on the auto chips just to enjoy the story instead.

Also there are tons of open spaces that are just walled off invisibly instead of at least there being a token piece of scenery in the way to stop you going there, feels kind of lovely and confusing when the map is already kind of poo poo at showing you where there's an actual path to somewhere.

Also it turns out "self destruct" is Japanese for "blow your clothes off and run around with your rear end out until you teleport somewhere to make the clothes come back". As boring as Dad of War Kratos was I didn't have to backtrack anywhere in a rush to get his manskirt back on before my wife came into the room to witness my shame at any point.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
@shut up blegum

1. The combo is R1 R1 R2 R1 R2.
2. Mark of the dwarfs gives you +1 runic power, from what i remember, you can find them in the resources tab from the menu.
3. If it's the same black borders I had, go to the ps4 settings > video/display settings > recalibrate your screen. I'm a new ps4 owner, but this is the first game i saw actually use this.

Edit: fat fingers

lexxyth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 5, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also it turns out "self destruct" is Japanese for "blow your clothes off and run around with your rear end out until you teleport somewhere to make the clothes come back". .

Hell yeah!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My girlfriend just started playing Beyond Two Souls and its not bad for a story game but am I correct in assuming it's a Telltale style 'make these choices, but very few of them change anything just enjoy the ride' style game? She's up to the Navajo bit but it all seems very on rails in term of the direction it goes.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Speaking of beyond, is there a goon consensus of original vs remixed story order? The remix apparently just puts everything in chronological order and I read it flows a lot better that way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spalec posted:

Speaking of beyond, is there a goon consensus of original vs remixed story order? The remix apparently just puts everything in chronological order and I read it flows a lot better that way.

It's just as bad either way

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

My girlfriend just started playing Beyond Two Souls and its not bad for a story game but am I correct in assuming it's a Telltale style 'make these choices, but very few of them change anything just enjoy the ride' style game? She's up to the Navajo bit but it all seems very on rails in term of the direction it goes.

There is one choice that matters, it's at the end and is just "pick ending A or B."
Don't want the player getting in the way of Cages totally brilliant and innovative story.

also

Andrast posted:

It's just as bad either way

I think with regards to gameplay it would make a little more sense to do the original scrambled order, but there really isn't any gameplay of note so do whatever you like.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:lol:

For some reason it reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O6Nmjt-mw

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Attitude Indicator posted:

Don't want the player getting in the way of Cages totally brilliant and innovative story.

That's weird because you could mess with Heavy Rain a lot, even though the killer is always the same

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's weird because you could mess with Heavy Rain a lot, even though the killer is always the same

SHAAAAUUUUNNNN!!!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't remember much about Beyond but I do remember the story goes extra, extra batshit crazy towards the end. Like trying to outdo Kojima crazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

Anyway, picked up God of war. Where's the thread for that?

It changes title constantly so just look for the SLAYER tag ("mogr" means "boy" in some norse-adjacent language)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I really wish I had an infinity gauntlet for this thread.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just got my PS4 (GoW Pro) today and the first thing I did was download Rez Infinite and play the first level. I'm so happy right now

edit: this is the 3rd system I've owned Rez on (DC, 360, PS4)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qbert posted:

I don't remember much about Beyond but I do remember the story goes extra, extra batshit crazy towards the end. Like trying to outdo Kojima crazy.

Not really

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

curried lamb of God posted:

I just got my PS4 (GoW Pro) today and the first thing I did was download Rez Infinite and play the first level. I'm so happy right now

Dang I wish I had the DC version instead of PS2, that's worth real money

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've only played MGSV but I strongly doubt Ellen Page is going to end up with a bomb in her vagina and a decoy bomb in her intestines, or that the reason she keeps taking off clothes is because she 'breathes through her skin'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Not really

Not Kojima but one of the endings makes the whole game an origin story for her being a superhero in post-apocalyptic America

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I've only played MGSV but I strongly doubt Ellen Page is going to end up with a bomb in her vagina and a decoy bomb in her intestines, or that the reason she keeps taking off clothes is because she 'breathes through her skin'

Bombest pussy that ever was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A cooch bomb would be a lovely way to try to take someone out anyway. The human body is mostly water so it’s real good at dispersing explosions. There was a guy that tried to assassinate someone with a bomb hidden up his rear end, and it just left the target surprised, confused, and in need of a shower.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was a guy that tried to assassinate someone with a bomb hidden up his rear end, and it just left the target surprised, confused, and in need of a shower.

Source.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

curried lamb of God posted:

Whoa, you downloaded something off the ps network AND played it in the same day? How on earth

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_al-Asiri

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

Whoa, you downloaded something off the ps network AND played it in the same day? How on earth

Is that unusual?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yakuza Kiwami only $18? Sure, count me in.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Andrast posted:

Not really

I mean I remember a literal apocalypse and a giant government conspiracy to stop a ghost army but sure, Kojima stuff is probably wackier.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i hit plat on god of war

i want more

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SubponticatePoster posted:

:cheers:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

I’m kicking myself because I just bought it on disc for the same price. I really prefer having stuff digitally.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wolfsheim posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

David cage is deffo naive af about basic human physiology from whats in 2 souls, forget the social weirdness. he thinks babys about to be born are head up in the womb, he doesnt know afterbirth is a thing, and he thinks twins are connected by the same umbilical to each other

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He also made a game where a detective fucks a zombie former murder suspect and you kung fu fight the internet. And I made it sound less weird than it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"he had hidden a pound (0.5 kg) of PETN plastic explosives in his rectum and anal canal, which security experts described as a novel technique."

:drat: