Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

raverrn posted:

They did, called the Reseen. HG sued anyway because lol

That's not true. The Reseen were introduced in 2003, and had absolutely no legal problems. The only reason they didn't solve the problem once and for all is that they looked like absolute dogshit. Here's the rework of the beloved Warhammer, the cover mech on the classic Battletech box.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skippy McPants posted:

In this game, the Victor, Zeus, and Battlemaster all have the same free tonnage as the Onion and Black Knight so all you're getting on them is a bit more armor and fewer guns (because more weight spent on armor)

...and actual slots that can be used for non-energy weapons in the comparison to the Black Knight...

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xotl posted:

That's not true. The Reseen were introduced in 2003, and had absolutely no legal problems. The only reason they didn't solve the problem once and for all is that they looked like absolute dogshit. Here's the rework of the beloved Warhammer, the cover mech on the classic Battletech box.

It looks like a transformers toy from the eighties that turns into a car

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So this game's tutorial explains nothing beyond 'here is how you click buttons' so I made some dumb mistakes on the first mission and found out that, apparently, Dekker died permanently in like the first 5 minutes. I'm fine with permadeath normally but don't feel like it's really my fault in this case. On the ship after I haven't (yet) found a way to hire replacements. Am I getting shafted or should I soldier on? Apologies if this is answered somewhere else in this 300 page thread.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

metasynthetic posted:

So this game's tutorial explains nothing beyond 'here is how you click buttons' so I made some dumb mistakes on the first mission and found out that, apparently, Dekker died permanently in like the first 5 minutes. I'm fine with permadeath normally but don't feel like it's really my fault in this case. On the ship after I haven't (yet) found a way to hire replacements. Am I getting shafted or should I soldier on? Apologies if this is answered somewhere else in this 300 page thread.

Just soldier on; plenty of soldiers to hire. The game is easy as gently caress anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Decker's death in the first mission is really just an extended part of the tutorial tbh

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How do you guys build your free Highlander? Is the default kit good enough or should I pick between SRMs or LRMS rather than one of each?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Hit up the Hiring Hall. TBH my Dekker would probably prefer to be dead, then he would be free of the torment of spending three quarters of his life stuck in medbay.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pierson posted:

How do you guys build your free Highlander? Is the default kit good enough or should I pick between SRMs or LRMS rather than one of each?

I went Gauss/PPC/LRM20/LRM10. Monster sniper that way which keeps the uniqie stuff safe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

metasynthetic posted:

When you arrive at a planet there's the Hiring Hall, which will have up to 8 mechwarriors available for hire. The vast majority will be randomly generated but sometimes you'll run into a kickstarter backer character or one of the dev-made pregen ronin characters

At the end of a full campaign, of my original lancemates only Behemoth remains. For a long time I had a Glitch replacement named Dockside, but she ate a boot to the face on one mission near the end.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Gauss, PPC, LRM20++(+). Stand halfway across the map and knock mechs down every turn.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zore posted:

I went Gauss/PPC/LRM20/LRM10. Monster sniper that way which keeps the uniqie stuff safe.
Is unique ancient-era stuff truly unrecoverable forever or can regular gameplay spit them out in certain stores/on certain missions?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Is unique ancient-era stuff truly unrecoverable forever or can regular gameplay spit them out in certain stores/on certain missions?

The former though expect people to add it to the latter with mods fairly soon.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok cool, thanks guys.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Pierson posted:

They're one of a kind, but the devs have confirmed more LosTech is coming in a future updates

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I found a pilot with the male version of all of Glitch's lines. He's my B-team benchwarmer that gets called up every time Glitch is laid up in medbay, to keep things positive.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pierson posted:

It will CT core out pretty much any mech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

metasynthetic posted:

Pilots are a small fraction of the cost of a mech. Meat is cheap, don't worry about pilot deaths.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pierson posted:

Gauss, 3x MLAS, LRM20, SRM6

I think this is the default load out but I can't remember. I definitely took some of the ammo and heat sinks out since it had way too many of both.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arrath posted:

I found a pilot with the male version of all of Glitch's lines. He's my B-team benchwarmer that gets called up every time Glitch is laid up in medbay, to keep things positive.

I found him too, then he died. Ah well, such is life and at least he wasn't Glitch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Notes from jumping back to a new career.

Locusts are so tiny, its almost submerged in water and melee attacks look like a cat trying to bonk stuff with its head :3:
The game loads so fast!
augh the repair times

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Arrath posted:

"Let's get this over with quickly so we can go swimming!"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man, it's lame that on the last mission you don't get any salvage from Victoria's king crab, even if you make the effort to incapacitate her without destroying the mech. I suppose the Atlas II that you get makes up for it, but still, I should gave gotten both.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ratzap posted:

did anyone else build the low g pool as soon as possible solely on the force of the navigator's argument for it, that being essentially "dude, commander. LOW G POOL."

or was that just me

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ciaphas posted:

did anyone else build the low g pool as soon as possible solely on the force of the navigator's argument for it, that being essentially "dude, commander. LOW G POOL."

or was that just me

Same here friend. I fully upgraded the crew amenities before getting the hospital or third mechbay hah

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Had a rough mission where my commander got injured and my Quickdraw got wasted, but I remembered what's important and pushed on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Ciaphas posted:

or was that just me

Pretty much. Did you get the skinny dipping event for it? :haw:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Synthbuttrange posted:

not yet but i am pleased that this is in my videogame future

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Xotl posted:

This is one of those things where they mostly look better in miniature form.

Except the Shadow Hawk. The reseen SHD look atrocious in any dimension.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pierson posted:

Gauss, AC/5, PPC, 2 SL. Lets me snipe with ease, can core mediums and blow off heavy torsos, and the small lasers are useful if anything gets into punching range.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
Anyone else get random freezes were the game just stops responding for 10 to 20 seconds and then continues like nothing happened? It usually happens we attacking another mech or navigating the argo's menu.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What kind of missions (and I guess what ratings) should I take to get a heavy or two? I can finally field all mediums, at least, but I'd like a heavy to throw in the mix.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

This is one of those things where they mostly look better in miniature form.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

the default assumption should always be confirmation bias unless someone actually does code diving, to be honest

people are really, really bad at trying to 'look in' at an RNG system and determine if it's fair or not, like, literally awful. it's how brains are wired.

I had a previously untouched wolverine walk within punching range of an overheated shadow hawk. Behemoth waddled over and got a one shot pilot killing hit to the cockpit.

I only had one salvage slot :histdowns:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

How did battletech ever go anywhere? These things are ugly as all gently caress

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
The game seems to choke up whenever I get enough salvage for a new mech, but things are otherwise fine. I don't know why a little text pop-up with Yang talking about the variant would cause it to happen.

Eej posted:

Battletech started in 1984 with designs licensed from multiple anime series and also some originals. The Clans were introduced in 1990, presumably after some financial success and they could hire an actual artist to produce 1) art that didn't look like hot garbage 2) thematically consistent mech designs
I'm pretty sure that in one of the HBS Q&As that Jordan Weissman talked about how they came up with Omnimechs to explain why all the mech designs in the Virtual World pods had copied limbs, then decided they needed a new faction to introduce these radically different designs. Just add some 80s-brand problematic fiction (to match the 80s-brand problematic fiction that already existed in the franchise, lest we forget) and that's how the clans came about.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The fact that no one ever went "hey lets redesign all this poo poo so it looks halfway consistent" boggles the mind. Hell, the whole "unseen" thing confuses me. Why didn't they make new designs that wouldn't get them sued?
Money, or lack thereof, probably governed most of the decisions made by the tabletop. Even Mike Stackpole, who wrote the backbone novels for BT, complained of not getting paid by FASA. The protomechs look as wonky as they do because they were first drafts that the artist sent in expecting to get feedback, only they got thrown in to the next TRO without anyone looking at how silly the drat things looked.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

What kind of missions (and I guess what ratings) should I take to get a heavy or two? I can finally field all mediums, at least, but I'd like a heavy to throw in the mix.

Assassinations and Battles are usually good ones, the higher the rating the better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got the burger king event twice. The first time I got food poisoning. The second time remembered I got food poisoning as I sold it to another merc company. :haw:

quote:

lmao

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

good god they just copied all the awful drawings of mechs but made them 3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It looks like a transformers toy from the eighties that turns into a car

honestly it looks like it has a mullet