Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have characters on two servers so that meant having to do a bit more grinding but I'm really picky so alot of the gear doesn't interest me. For stocking up the shared wardrobe I generally want to have one good hauberk, the crafting robe because all those pockets look useful for an explorer and a nice hood, hat and helmet. Then the characters can mix and match with the other cosmetics they can pick up.

I found that the fireworks mask works well for armored fighter types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I forgot you need to pay TP for the trait tree bonuses and got sad. On the other hand, I've ground out about 500 TP and need another 600 or so to be able to afford Mordor, so I think I can do it. I have a bunch of Slayer deed accelerators from forever ago which is helping quite a bit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was browsing my characters and realized that on not even one had I slotted any of their virtues. I didn't understand that it was something I needed to do.

:negative:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Inventory slots are 25% off and it's still double points until the 29th. Good combo.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

flowinprose posted:

In terms of healing...

Mini's are the best healing class in the game, no question. I'm not 100% sure where Beorning's fit as it is the only class I have never played at all. I would say from what I have seen in groups I have been in that they do okay with healing in 3-6man content as long as it isn't something very challenging. RK can heal better than beorning, and almost as good as a minstrel if the person is equipped/traited to do it. The problem is that I think alot of people don't seem to really bother with setting up an RK to heal. LM healing is basically just for spot healing in a pinch, or in some 3-man content it can do a passable job.

Beorning are good situational raid healers, their strong AE heal hits everyone (including allies) in the radius, not just fellowship members but the cooldowns on their heals make them very limited general healers, most of their heals are pretty weak at keeping single targets up which is probably not helped because the Binding relic doesn't work properly for Beornings.

RK used to be competitive with Minstrels but their lack of strong single target heals have seen them probably slip behind even Beornings, there is a lot of heavy front-loaded damage coming in with tanks having 200-250k morale and similar to Beornings, binding relic isn't as strong on HoTs. With the T2 Binding relic a Minstrel can hit around 80k crit heals and do significant fellowship wide healing, each tier of binding relic basically doubles the healing output for a minstrel who has long casting heals with big base heal that scales well with the relic.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zvim posted:

Beorning are good situational raid healers, their strong AE heal hits everyone (including allies) in the radius, not just fellowship members but the cooldowns on their heals make them very limited general healers, most of their heals are pretty weak at keeping single targets up which is probably not helped because the Binding relic doesn't work properly for Beornings.

RK used to be competitive with Minstrels but their lack of strong single target heals have seen them probably slip behind even Beornings, there is a lot of heavy front-loaded damage coming in with tanks having 200-250k morale and similar to Beornings, binding relic isn't as strong on HoTs. With the T2 Binding relic a Minstrel can hit around 80k crit heals and do significant fellowship wide healing, each tier of binding relic basically doubles the healing output for a minstrel who has long casting heals with big base heal that scales well with the relic.

I haven't seen any tanks with 250k morale yet and even 200k is rare, but the vitality distribution seems really unfair because I very often see RKs and Hunters with the same morale as my champion, about 80k. This is without them sacrificing any dps.

The class balancing begins on the beta server by the end of this month, and I hope beyond number tweaking they fix beorning legacies as well as that super relic being bugged.

Also the anniversary festival has been extended until the 13th. Not sure why but people are paying me 50 gold for beavers, which only cost 15 tokens.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

extra stout posted:

Also the anniversary festival has been extended until the 13th. Not sure why but people are paying me 50 gold for beavers, which only cost 15 tokens.

Dear god why, 15 is so easy to get you could probably ignore the club fights and still get it.

Thanks to everybody for taking me on my first ever raid, haven’t had much group play thus far beyond a couple on-level runs of the first Barrow instances.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I caught a case of brain spiders that prompted me to try this mmo again, after having dabbled in it years ago and quit ffxiv. It seems this game has a shitload of plugins like WoW, any that are considered essential? I take it there's a Bartender equivalent at least? What's the dungeoning like? I'm a level 10 runekeeper and just unlocked epic battles, is there anything like 4-or-5 man content to do while levelling, or are epic battles it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I use a crafting recipe mod so I can see what skills my army of alts possess, and a daily task mod that helps me quickly identify which tasks are ready to be handed in and which items I can safely vendor.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I'm sort of feeling the itch to kill rats and make numbers go up on a character, so thought I would try this game for free for a bit (I tend to subscribe if I like a game and intend to keep playing it for a bit). Couple of questions...

Is there a need to look at different character builds, and if so, is there a good resource for that so I don't make terrible mistakes along the way that I discover 50 levels later aren't repairable?

Are F2P players able to join the guild to get the chat and ask dumb questions? The comparison on the website simply says communication for F2P is limited, but doesn't say in what way.

Thanks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Locator posted:

So I'm sort of feeling the itch to kill rats and make numbers go up on a character, so thought I would try this game for free for a bit (I tend to subscribe if I like a game and intend to keep playing it for a bit). Couple of questions...

Is there a need to look at different character builds, and if so, is there a good resource for that so I don't make terrible mistakes along the way that I discover 50 levels later aren't repairable?

Are F2P players able to join the guild to get the chat and ask dumb questions? The comparison on the website simply says communication for F2P is limited, but doesn't say in what way.

Thanks.

The early game has become easy and figuring out what to buy and how to customize your UI is probably more work than just doing the quests in order, even solo. At lotro.com if you go to the forums and scroll down to the class forums you can find guides but most are for the end game (level 115) there's also a fansite called dadi's lotro guides and the lotro-wiki linked on page one. The generic advice is the best advice: It's a casual MMO for most and you should play what feels fun.

Anyone can join a guild once they finish the intro (level 7 or so) and you can also come into discord and ask away. Just post your character name(s) for an invite. Welcome!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
TL/DR: There are no choices you can make that aren't easily repairable until level 100 at the earliest.

All of the classes have 3 trait trees--you pick one primary one to specialize in at level 6, which gets you a few starting skills. It will be really obvious which specialization is solo-oriented (hint: it's the red one), one group line, and one other one which depending on the class could be garbage or could out-dps the red one. You get 1 trait point every ~2 levels plus a few from completing various deeds and quest chains--you can spend trait points in any tree, but it's double the cost to put it in the other two. My max-level character has 87 trait points (and there are at least 2 more I could get). You'll want to throw at least the first 35 into your primary trait tree because you get various bonuses at 5, 10, ..., 35 points spent in the tree. Well before you'll hit max level you'll buy everything in your specialized trait tree you want and start putting points in the other. You get 2 different builds (i.e. choices of specialization and point allocations for free) which you can switch between at will and can buy a third if you want. Respecializing costs in-game gold and is incredibly cheap. So you're not locked into this choice of build at all.

Starting at level 50 you get legendary items (1 weapon and 1 class item) which differ in "legacies", i.e. various tweaks and bonuses to your skills--some legacies will only be useful if you've made a particular choice of specialization or bought particular things on the trait trees. Up until level 100 you'll be trading them in every 5 levels and it's not really worth investing the time to get a "perfect" legendary item with all of the right legacies--you can carry over one legacy of your choice between items each time you upgrade, and then it's more work to change legacies beyond that. At level 100 you imbue your legendary items and they stay with you from then on. Imbued legendaries have a slightly different set of legacies than non-imbued ones. It's a nontrivial cost to swap out legacies once you imbue--you'll be granted a limited number of ways to replace legacies from doing quests, enough that you'll be able to pick the legacies you want without much difficulty, but changing them later is a major annoyance. So you'll want to have decided on your build by the time you imbue (you can have multiple sets of legendaries for multiple builds if you're insane).

Also, customizing your UI is really easy: hit Ctrl-\.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 3, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

jalapeno_dude posted:

Thank you.

Also man the support people in this game are actually helpful and timely, which is noteworthy coming from like, any other MMO it feels like. I'm dumb and had never really registered that I've been a freebie for a while, despite having got almost all the expansions back on their huge sale, so I put in a ticket asking if they could do anything for me because everything suggests I should be a premium, a very short time later I log to go look at a thing on my alt and oh I'm a premium now!

(I immediately responded by making a bunch of other alts so I'd be set after buying the money cap once etc. if I ever wanted to try this or that class.)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 3, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

Thanks for this. I don't see a way to change the size of things (like my mini-map) or fonts in the chat window. Will have to look for that as things are pretty small at 3440x1440 and kind of difficult for me to read, but if I try to run it at a lower resolution in full screen it looks terrible.

Edit: Looks like I can get it decent by adjusting the UI scaling and fonts under chat options, although wish I could just change them globally instead of one by one through that huge list!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 3, 2018

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

re:plugins and ui

Addons are mainly cosmetic in LOTRO, nothing is really essential like some of the WoW addons so you can get by with the stock ui just fine.

That said there are some nice quality of life addons and ui enhancments at http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/index.php

I use the JRR Azure Glass complete set and BuffBars. Buffbars is handy on some classes like Minstrels but I really don't need it on my Champion.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out of the starter area now, and would like an invite - Locatress is the character name.

The crafting groupings are annoying, I would like to be able to make leather armor and bows (hunter), but of course woodworking and forestry is grouped with farming for... reasons? The hell with farming.

The first crafted bow is notably better than the one I was using for questing, so I should probably ask early. Am I better off sticking with this and just making bows as I level, or should I switch now to the one that can make leather armor?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

Out of the starter area now, and would like an invite - Locatress is the character name.

The crafting groupings are annoying, I would like to be able to make leather armor and bows (hunter), but of course woodworking and forestry is grouped with farming for... reasons? The hell with farming.

The first crafted bow is notably better than the one I was using for questing, so I should probably ask early. Am I better off sticking with this and just making bows as I level, or should I switch now to the one that can make leather armor?

I'd recommend Explorer for your first character especially as a hunter, can gather wood and ore and craft leather armor for yourself. Can sell the ore and wood or send the wood to a kinmate and have them craft bows as you go if needed, I think the quest reward bows are probably good enough to level with, early level hunters do absurd damage could probably carry a twig and be fine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, I'll switch over to Explorer. And yea, I've noticed that I have a number of different abilities that can one-shot normal mobs that are two levels higher than I am, it's kind of silly but so far I'm being sufficiently entertained. I do wish that I could scale the mini-map larger independent of the rest of the UI, as the entire UI starts to go fuzzy as you scale it making the text in the quest tracker more difficult to read. It's not super bad, just enough to be annoying to me.

On selling, is there an auction house type setup or just dump the raw materials on a vendor or guild person who wants them?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I built my alts to have interlocking crafting skills, but I have to stay on top of which resources to send to which characters. I'm not obsessive about it but it's nice to be able to make an item on one character that will help out one of the others.

Decided to tackle the Bingo Boffin quests and I'm concerned that the fat stupid hobbit is going to wind up somewhere perilous where being fat and stupid won't keep him alive.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I'll switch over to Explorer. And yea, I've noticed that I have a number of different abilities that can one-shot normal mobs that are two levels higher than I am, it's kind of silly but so far I'm being sufficiently entertained. I do wish that I could scale the mini-map larger independent of the rest of the UI, as the entire UI starts to go fuzzy as you scale it making the text in the quest tracker more difficult to read. It's not super bad, just enough to be annoying to me.

On selling, is there an auction house type setup or just dump the raw materials on a vendor or guild person who wants them?

There are Auction Houses in the main cities like Bree or Rivendell, and some of the medium size outposts with crafting halls also have Auction Houses.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I'll switch over to Explorer.

An even better solution is to switch to nothing because tradeskills are nothing but a huge time and money waster. Gear that'll let you stomp overworld content will flow to you constantly, and when you actually need some things crafted, you can find people to help you out easily (either in the kin or random folk, this is a friendly game).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

An even better solution is to switch to nothing because tradeskills are nothing but a huge time and money waster. Gear that'll let you stomp overworld content will flow to you constantly, and when you actually need some things crafted, you can find people to help you out easily (either in the kin or random folk, this is a friendly game).

And then you'll be Level 115, wonder why everyone other than you has these sweet crafted devices for their legendaries that never seem to be available on the market board, and realize eventually that you need to go back and buy or gather hundreds and hundreds of items across dozens of zones and then spend literally months in a crafting guild reputation grind.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

And then you'll be Level 115, wonder why everyone other than you has these sweet crafted devices for their legendaries that never seem to be available on the market board, and realize eventually that you need to go back and buy or gather hundreds and hundreds of items across dozens of zones and then spend literally months in a crafting guild reputation grind.

Ding Ding Ding! Ignore advice telling you not to bother with crafting.

A lot of people that play Lotro really push the old "always Explorer on your 1st toon" mantra, but I feel that it's actually far better to stick to a craft that has actual synergy with your class. If your Hunter is a Woodworker, you'll be able to craft your own 1st Age bow.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jalapeno_dude posted:

Except by the time you get to 115 other things will be out and it won't matter! And if you do it all as a single effort at 115 or do it piece meal as you level up really changes nothing. You're spending that same time either way.

In general, if you enjoy it, do it, but if you don't enjoy it, don't. But I've seen people get burned out because of things like worrying about keeping their crafting up which is silly. If you're not doing challenging group content in LOTRO, not having BIS for those things won't matter.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Except by the time you get to 115 other things will be out and it won't matter! And if you do it all as a single effort at 115 or do it piece meal as you level up really changes nothing. You're spending that same time either way.

In general, if you enjoy it, do it, but if you don't enjoy it, don't. But I've seen people get burned out because of things like worrying about keeping their crafting up which is silly. If you're not doing challenging group content in LOTRO, not having BIS for those things won't matter.

I actually enjoy crafting, otherwise I wouldn't do it. It would be nice if I could be a tailor/forester/woodworker, but the game simply doesn't allow it. All of the items I made immediately upon switching to Explorer were instantly huge upgrades, but I may just switch back to Woodworking simply because I think making a better weapon might be better long-term if I stick with the game. I had already made the decision that the crafting I don't care about (like farming) was going to be ignored, as I had actually cancelled that starting quest after looking at it.

I don't think I want to collect ore if I'm not going to use it myself, so I will end up with only two crafts no matter which route I take.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

I agree with your last paragraph. But I absolutely disagree that the time is the same either way. If I had remembered to gather wood as I leveled and to process the hides I got instead of vending them I would have saved myself a huge amount of time.

LOTRO has also been in a bit of a weird place for a while where some of the old grind continues to be relevant even years after it was released. Most notably, it would have been even harder to get through Mordor if I hadn't spent a bunch of time years prior farming star-lit crystals from festivals and Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment from Dol Amroth and Minas Tirith dailies to get my imbued legendaries in reasonable shape (and I still need ~150 more scrolls to get them maxed out, which is several more months of doing all 3 MT dailies). I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take any alt character past 105 because there's no way in hell I'm running dailies again. Maybe by the time the level cap is 125 or whatever I'll be so overleveled going through Mordor that it won't matter. The devs seem to know they need to fix the whole legendary item situation but they've said it won't happen until after the big class balance, so I'm guessing late 2019 at the earliest or more likely 2020 before the problem is addressed.

Fun fact: imbued legendary items were added in U16, May 2015. MT dailies were added in U17 and U17.2, through January 2016. That's insanely long for something to stay relevant. (The top-tier crafted devices were added even earlier, it looks like in U12 or U13 in late 2013/early 2014.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 3, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Got into the guild (or Kinship I guess) tonight and got lots of great advice. Thanks everyone! Also thanks to the goon who sent me some potions for whenever I get to level 30'ish.

Made level 17 and I'm now questing out of Bree, having finished Combe and Staddle (sp?).

Went ahead and sent them money so I'm subbed for a bigger backpack and whatever else it gives me. Gonna be a bummer tomorrow night not having a horse until I hit level 20 since my rental will be expired.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Holy crap I just realized that I could use some of my 23k skirmish marks to buy rep items for some of the early factions, which equals easy TP.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

Holy crap I just realized that I could use some of my 23k skirmish marks to buy rep items for some of the early factions, which equals easy TP.

You can also buy them on the Auction House, frequently for very cheap.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
I haven't really checked in since March 2017 when I gave the goon guild some of the coins from my lifetime account to buy housing.

Guess it's that time of the year again where I re-install, check the amount of free currency I have accumulated, indulge in some nostalgia and then leave until 2019....but I guess it's worth another try. I really like Lotro, but I can never find the time or attention span to stick with it.

Still have 19 years on that sub...reg date shows 2011 since that was the year that Turbine closed down the EU branch and transferred all accounts over to the US. The account itself is from day 1...

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 5, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out of curiosity, how much were lifetime subs sold for back then?

Also, they are going to bill you again in 19 years it appears!

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

I believe $300 but often they had it on sale for $200. Have always regretted not buying the $200 offer during Moria.

I also think Lifetime sub was a terrible idea on Turbine's part and was part of the reason they needed to go f2p. It was great initially since they had a large cash infusion to put out Moria but seems they started to be stretched for resources after that point.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation

The Locator posted:

A year before the EU branch closed down they had a 50% bargain on lifetime accounts, that's when I bought mine. I think it was 100€ or maybe even less.

Edit:

I dug through my old mail archive and found the offer. Supposedly I was picked by RNG to receive that, it was 110€ (50% off).

Just noticed I'm sitting on 29K Turbine Points. The only real content I haven't bought yet is Mordor and the High Elf race.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 5, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Great deal for someone who knows, or is fairly sure that they will be playing for a long time, but I bet that a huge number of lifetime subscription only play for a few months and I am sure that is what they are gambling on when they offer them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation

The Locator posted:

Great deal for someone who knows, or is fairly sure that they will be playing for a long time, but I bet that a huge number of lifetime subscription only play for a few months and I am sure that is what they are gambling on when they offer them.

True, but it was really nice of them to honor the lifetime sub when they moved the EU players to the US.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Ah, so you're the legendary benefactor. The tale gets told now and then when a new kin member wonders how we came to have our own freakin' island.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ossipago posted:

Ah, so you're the legendary benefactor. The tale gets told now and then when a new kin member wonders how we came to have our own freakin' island.

I was looking at that today... it's quite a place. I was sort of wondering how much time/effort/funding went into that place. Just the building alone is impressive, let alone the rest of the island.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Just started this game a few days ago and I figure I'll give it some time to make sure I'm gonna keep playing before trying to join the guild, but I have some basic questions.

What should I spend the premium currency on? I only have about 150 right now.
I bought 2 vault inventory upgrades with gold, but now it requires over 2 gold to upgrade, but I can only hold 2 gold (I've been buying the stacks of silver to not lose out on gold so I have enough to buy the 3rd upgrade but no way to). Should I focus on saving crafting mats or enemy drops?

I bought a house, but whats the point of it? Also does it remind you when upkeep is due or do you just lose the house?

I waited a while to open my free horse, it just disappeared now, at level 22. I heard you get the riding skill for free at 20, but is that VIP only?

I was grinding out a lot of hunter deeds too for the premium currency, but is this overkill? I feel really overleveled for a lot of quests. Is there something I should focus on finishing first? I'm a man captain if that matters.

Should I focus on the anniversary quests for now, or main game?

Just throw some tips at me I guess, thanks!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

baby delivery truck posted:

Just started this game a few days ago and I figure I'll give it some time to make sure I'm gonna keep playing before trying to join the guild, but I have some basic questions.

I bought 2 vault inventory upgrades with gold, but now it requires over 2 gold to upgrade, but I can only hold 2 gold (I've been buying the stacks of silver to not lose out on gold so I have enough to buy the 3rd upgrade but no way to). Should I focus on saving crafting mats or enemy drops?

I bought a house, but whats the point of it? Also does it remind you when upkeep is due or do you just lose the house?

I waited a while to open my free horse, it just disappeared now, at level 22. I heard you get the riding skill for free at 20, but is that VIP only?

I was grinding out a lot of hunter deeds too for the premium currency, but is this overkill? I feel really overleveled for a lot of quests. Is there something I should focus on finishing first? I'm a man captain if that matters.

Just throw some tips at me I guess, thanks!

Just started myself, so I can't really answer your questions, but I did the horse quest (I did get VIP so no idea if it's required) to learn the riding skill. It's at a farm North of Bree a ways, to the right of the main road up the hill. After completing the quest you get the skill and can buy a horse from the same guy who gives the quest for either 200 or 500 silver depending on the horse.

I'm not grinding anything like you are, I'm just randomly doing quests and exploring.

Also, I don't think there is any reason not to join the guild, I've gotten some very helpful advice (like the horse quest) in chat from being in the guild, and some guy last night made me some sweet tools for my crafting which was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

baby delivery truck posted:

Horse is 95, that will save some time running around.
Get the enhanced wallet, you'll save inventory slots. Start saving for the Evendim quest pack which will get you to 40 or so.

quote:

Should I focus on saving crafting mats or enemy drops?

I save crafting mats but only if I have or plan to have an alt with an appropriate craft skill. It can be very useful for the early tiers but to have a bunch of materials so you're not outleveling
the resource drops. Later on you can sell craft materials for decent amounts of gold.

I almost always sell enemy drops, but you can use them to get some experience and faction rep. Again, early reputation factions have items that give you rep so it's not so important.

quote:

It's just a customization thing, though it has a shared chest for all your alts which is perfect for those aforementioned crafting mats

quote:

95 tp for riding skill, then go to the ranch in Bree and get a horse for 200 silver, I think?

quote:

Do what you like. There's no reason to rush to endgame, and combat is pretty easy for the most part. The f2p zones can give you about 900 tp for each character, so you can get a decent number of upgrades. If you like the game, you should subscribe for a month. You get 500tp and it unlocks a whole bunch of stuff on all the characters you have you'd have to pay tp for otherwise, and it upgrades your account to premium which keeps a number of benefits.