Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The_Doctor posted:

So, uh, this actually looks ok? I laughed. Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears. Nice that Nicolas Cage finally gets to be Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

Like I said in the other thread, I'm 100% down for this movie. I think TTG is great. The Deadpool joke is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Caligula but with chickens.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Everyone watch Aggretsuko.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Already seen the first episode (twice, because I wanted to confirm if there was a dub after watching the sub on the out-of-date Netflix app on a 2010 plasma TV, which won't even let you search), been meaning to watch the later ones.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The_Doctor posted:

Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears.

I wonder if it's a deliberate reference to the "Slade is Batman" fan theory from back in the days of the original Teen Titans fandom

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Having Slade be Batman the whole time who pretends in the end that he did it as a lesson for the Titans but in truth was just looking for an excuse to embarrass his ward would be very much in keeping with the spirit of TTG.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Whiz Palace posted:

Everyone watch Aggretsuko.

Seconding this. The English dub is pretty good and the characters are great (Fenneko is my spirit animal).

Has there ever been an anime that’s directly talked about sexism/workplace harassment like this before? I literally can’t think of a single one.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Has there ever been an anime that’s directly talked about sexism/workplace harassment like this before? I literally can’t think of a single one.

I'd love to know as well. The novelty of actual social commentary coming out of Japan was a big part of the draw.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Whiz Palace posted:

The novelty of actual social commentary coming out of Japan was a big part of the draw.

What a weird thing to say.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime's been doing social commentary for decades.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Maybe I've been watching the wrong animes... or have a different standard of what constitutes commentary. What would you guys hold up as shows that tackle social issues?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Whiz Palace posted:

Maybe I've been watching the wrong animes... or have a different standard of what constitutes commentary. What would you guys hold up as shows that tackle social issues?

I mean, just taking a look at shows airing right now this season:

Golden Kamuy is (frequently, if perhaps not centrally) about tension between the Ainu and the Japanese majority in the Meiji era.

Megalo Box is a sci-fi series about an underground boxer from the slums basically staking his life and his manager's on winning a tournament; his whole character arc is built on a backdrop of social inequality.

Gegege no Kitaro is an old comedy/horror series that gets adapted about once a decade, the current version has a lot of episodes about the tension between technology and redevelopment on the one hand and respect for tradition on the other.

Ultimately though picking out examples like this is kind of beside the point because it's not really possible to make apolitical art. Even the generic endlessly running superhero-style shows for teenagers usually have something to say about authority or whatever.

And that's just anime, which is one small corner of all Japanese media ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Megalo Box is a sci-fi series about an underground boxer from the slums basically staking his life and his manager's on winning a tournament; his whole character arc is built on a backdrop of social inequality.

I keep meaning to check that out, I went to school with Leo Imai who does the opening titles song ‘Bite’.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I keep meaning to check that out, I went to school with Leo Imai who does the opening titles song ‘Bite’.

It's fantastic. I'm watching a bunch of shows this season but most of them are just good enough to pass the time; Golden Kamuy is a really good manga but the adaptation is kind of an embarassment as far as animation goes. Megalo Box is beautifully animated (by TV anime standards, anyways) and it's based on a classic series (Ashita no Joe.)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

The_Doctor posted:

Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears.

I just hear Bojack Horseman.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, just taking a look at shows airing right now this season:

Golden Kamuy is (frequently, if perhaps not centrally) about tension between the Ainu and the Japanese majority in the Meiji era.

Gegege no Kitaro is an old comedy/horror series that gets adapted about once a decade, the current version has a lot of episodes about the tension between technology and redevelopment on the one hand and respect for tradition on the other.

Ultimately though picking out examples like this is kind of beside the point because it's not really possible to make apolitical art. Even the generic endlessly running superhero-style shows for teenagers usually have something to say about authority or whatever.

And that's just anime, which is one small corner of all Japanese media ever.

True, but I feel like Aggretsuko challenges contemporary cultural norms in a way most other anime don’t. There’s a difference between commenting on something and truly being subversive and due to its audience being dominated by male teenagers and manchildren anime almost never crosses that line. It’s a really refreshing change of pace.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Waffleman_ posted:

Bullit but with chickens

Pullet

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

:pusheen:

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

readingatwork posted:

True, but I feel like Aggretsuko challenges contemporary cultural norms in a way most other anime don’t. There’s a difference between commenting on something and truly being subversive and due to its audience being dominated by male teenagers and manchildren anime almost never crosses that line. It’s a really refreshing change of pace.

Aggretsuko is an enjoyable show, but I wouldn't call it "truly subversive". It's basically an updated Dilbert. The boss is a blowhard, let's all commiserate. Oh, but he has feelings too. Let's work extra hard together (because we're understaffed)!

Manchild anime caters to a specific demographic because it has merch to sell. Please log on to Sanrio dot com for your subversive 30 dollar pillow.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

readingatwork posted:

True, but I feel like Aggretsuko challenges contemporary cultural norms in a way most other anime don’t.

That's what I wanted to say, but couldn't because it seems like moving the goalposts (which it is tbf). Making a point about society through allegory in sci-fi or historical drama is noble, but ultimately toothless compared to just tackling the issues head-on in their current form.

And yes, I will totally express my desire for the end of capitalism by purchasing a mass-produced plush doll.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Please don't compare Aggretsuko to Dilbert, especially the later is very much veers sharply into 'waaaah women are mean and won't let medilbert gently caress them', as a lot of Scott Adam's and thus Dilbert's attitude is what Aggretsuko rails against.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 4, 2018

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Please don't compare Aggretsuko to Dilbert, especially the later is very much veers sharply into 'waaaah women are mean and won't let medilbert gently caress them', as a lot of Scott Adam's and thus Dilbert's attitude is what Aggretsuko rails against.

Aggretsuko doesn't rail against sex creeps. Did I miss the scene where Retsuko screams at Pua-kun the peacock for negging her at the club?

It's been a hot while since I've laid eyes on Neo-Dilbert, but what I've seen mostly goes for PC-culture Gone Mad nonsense. Still lovely, but a different brand of lovely. My point was that Aggretsuko .gifs are the modern day Dilbert strip pinned to a cubicle wall. It's relatable and relevant, but that's about it.

It's Feminist™ enough to be marketable. There's a place for that, but I don't think that place is "truly subversive".

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
In my defense I was only up to episode 6 when I said that (I’m up to 8 now). I still stand by the idea that the show has more to say than other anime but yeah, it looks like it’s going to be more tepid than I was hoping it would be. Which is too bad because the characters are great.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I saw Chico & Rita today. Everybody watch it. It's fantastic.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

The Emoji Movie is on Netflix, and I'm watching it.

I'm 5 minutes in, and I hate it, but I can't stop now.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Neon Noodle posted:

I saw Chico & Rita today. Everybody watch it. It's fantastic.

I think it should of been live action. The backgrounds were beautiful, and I liked the story, but the literal animation just made me feel like it was more of filter than adding anything to the movie.

Unrelated but I really liked The Prophet, and I think it's the only film (ever? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that is a collage of animation directors each doing their own scene.

Nude fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LoseHound posted:

Aggretsuko doesn't rail against sex creeps. Did I miss the scene where Retsuko screams at Pua-kun the peacock for negging her at the club?

I mean, it's never quite that blatant, but the whole beef they have with the pig boss is that he's a misogynistic rear end in a top hat.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

to clarify, lot of the poo poo that Dilbert noramlizes is some of the things Aggretsuko is against - not to mention, given Adams is a sexist prick himself it reduces naturally any problems women have in the first place as 'Over emotional simple female brains aren't wired for logic'.

The reason it's catching on, even if it may be tepid i it is things women all experienced, and most office comedy of that nature is almost always male-eccentric or obviously written by men that aren't interested in tackling those issues.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

So, uh, this actually looks ok? I laughed. Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears. Nice that Nicolas Cage finally gets to be Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

Teen Titans Go continues to be the best super hero parody of our generation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Going to be so pumped when Hallmark releases it's radical new series on how black lives really do matter

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Aggretsuko seems like a comedy that forgot to include actual jokes, or failing that, characterization that isn't paper-thin. Good politics does not a good show make.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Good politics does not a good show make.
:goonsay:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nude posted:

Unrelated but I really liked The Prophet, and I think it's the only film (ever? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that is a collage of animation directors each doing their own scene.

The Animatrix is an animated anthology, though I like that The Prophet is all taken from the same source, just interpreted as each saw it. Really I just wanted to make sure it gets mentioned again, since it deserves way more attention than it got.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Trolls was an entirely too good movie

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Kangra posted:

The Animatrix is an animated anthology, though I like that The Prophet is all taken from the same source, just interpreted as each saw it. Really I just wanted to make sure it gets mentioned again, since it deserves way more attention than it got.

Oh ya I really liked that as well. My favorite being the runner short. I would be totally down for more animated anthology/collage movies. The Prophet is interesting and one of the first time I seen a newgrounds-style collab done, like, in theaters. Here is a trailer for anyone who is a little curious, it does a good job just showing the variety of different animation styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7ySPRzOaI

Nude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 6, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Going to be so pumped when Hallmark releases it's radical new series on how black lives really do matter

If Hallmark funded a new series of The Boondocks I would be all for it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kangra posted:

Batman Gotham Knight was the same idea. 6 films by some of anime's best directors, taking on a Western property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0beX8b4zX5E

I love this format and don't understand why it hasn't been done yet with Star Wars or any of the Marvel characters.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Ccs posted:

Batman Gotham Knight was the same idea. 6 films by some of anime's best directors, taking on a Western property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0beX8b4zX5E

I love this format and don't understand why it hasn't been done yet with Star Wars or any of the Marvel characters.

Thanks for posting this, I haven't heard of it. A marvel animated movie I feel like would be right for this kind of format too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calaveron posted:

Trolls was an entirely too good movie

Hell yeah!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nude posted:

Thanks for posting this, I haven't heard of it. A marvel animated movie I feel like would be right for this kind of format too.

Dr. Strange by the Madoka Magica people.

Iron Man by Gainax

Hulk by Ghibli