Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DoubleCakes posted:

You know, it's kind of weird how many ways you can overpower yourself in FF6 versus the amount of challenging content there is within. FF6 might be the most lopsided JRPG on that.

I would argue that Final Fantasy 8 is worse with that. Its balance is based around when the developers expected you to figure out the system. If you figure it out at the beginning or look at a strategy guide, you are OP through the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Covok posted:

I would argue that Final Fantasy 8 is worse with that. Its balance is based around when the developers expected you to figure out the system. If you figure it out at the beginning or look at a strategy guide, you are OP through the entire game.

You get 5 free Tents at the start of the game.
Draw Siren, learn Life Magic RF and slap 100 Curagas on your HP.

And now you will never lose ever again and all accomplished in the first five or so hours of gameplay.

FFVIII has a really interesting system but you'll never really have to explore any of it because any halfway competent use of Junctions will break the game in half. Coupled with ridiculous poo poo like [Stat]+20%/40%/60%, the game is a joke.

I still find it baffling they introduced level scaling in the one game where levels don't matter at all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

Pokemon

Pokemon has PvP multiplayer. That alone provides more challenges than FF6 has.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ff 13 replay comment: It's funny just how much better Sazh is in human control. I know blitz spam is op but shredding enemies with it never gets old.

Also i'm forcing myself to not use Light/Fang/Hope like i always do and i think i'm having the easiest time I've ever had. Snow is unkillable effectivly, Vannile has her wonderful debuff access, and Sazh with strength investment and keeping him out of ravager lets him shred foes. I'm enjoying this!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mr. Locke posted:

(The thread suckered you into grabbing the sword instead of just taking the magicite and saving you some 2-4 hours of grinding out random battles to get Ultima, didn't they?)

Nope! Well, one guy suggested it. But I’ve never went with the sword so I wanted to try it this time.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Paladin Shield teaching Ultima is secondary to the shield making its wearer drat near unkillable. They'll learn ultima while learning Quick via Raiden, at least. If they don't already have it.

Haven’t gotten it yet. I’ve found the old castle harder than expected so I’m going to steal some economizers and then head there and wreck the place and then go for it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 5, 2018

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Grind Peepers with Locke because they have Elixirs as a rare steal and if you're going to fight 255 battles, might as well, y'know?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

BrightWing posted:

Ff 13 replay comment: It's funny just how much better Sazh is in human control. I know blitz spam is op but shredding enemies with it never gets old.

Also i'm forcing myself to not use Light/Fang/Hope like i always do and i think i'm having the easiest time I've ever had. Snow is unkillable effectivly, Vannile has her wonderful debuff access, and Sazh with strength investment and keeping him out of ravager lets him shred foes. I'm enjoying this!

This is the same team I used and I feel like it was much better than the alternative. All three of them are offensive as opposed to the defensive team of Light/Fang/Hope, so you end up killing things a lot faster. Only having one healer wasn't even an issue.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

And now you will never lose ever again and all accomplished in the first five or so hours of gameplay.

FFVIII has a really interesting system but you'll never really have to explore any of it because any halfway competent use of Junctions will break the game in half. Coupled with ridiculous poo poo like [Stat]+20%/40%/60%, the game is a joke.

I still find it baffling they introduced level scaling in the one game where levels don't matter at all.
Level scaling makes more sense if you consider refine as a mid or late addition to the gameplay systems. Monsters have level dependent draw lists so while grinding up to higher level doesn't give you bonkers stats alone, it would be the only way to get more powerful magic beside progressing through the game to get the rocket ship to fly to heaven and hell islands (or other movement/story gated world draw points).

But then add card and magic refine and you get what would have been level 40+ magic whenever you'd like.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

DoubleCakes posted:

You know, it's kind of weird how many ways you can overpower yourself in FF6 versus the amount of challenging content there is within. FF6 might be the most lopsided JRPG on that.

Well I think that’s a good description of the Final Fantasy series in general unfortunately.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 5, 2018

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

BrightWing posted:

Lightning/Fang/Hope is one of my favorite teams yeah, and it's one of the cooler endgame teams due to the pure damage of Fang/Hope's high stats with Lightning being a good middle ground.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ventana posted:

Lightning/Fang/Hope is one of my favorite teams yeah, and it's one of the cooler endgame teams due to the pure damage of Fang/Hope's high stats with Lightning being a good middle ground.

:agreed: That was always my turtle grind team.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I would go so far as to say Light/Fang/Hope is the "meta" team. Its got the three highest offensive stat peeps, access to all the roles, all three characters have good animations for what they want to do so no jankiness there (SAZH!!!), it has Fang period, two medics (that's a personal pref thing I know). There's really no reason to NOT use this party. I'm just being stubborn. My biggest surprise right now with my usual bench warmers is how good Snow actually is. His animations are super super fast, so fast he can get ahead of other characters because hes already done with his last attacks and already charging his next ones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
When you fight god in 13-3 Lightning shouts GOD IS DEAD and it's real good

sometimes you fight a bug or a wolf and she screams I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU and it's like calm down lady it's a fuckin dog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

When you fight god in 13-3 Lightning shouts GOD IS DEAD and it's real good

sometimes you fight a bug or a wolf and she screams I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU and it's like calm down lady it's a fuckin dog

Lightning murdered that bug and also every single member of that bug's entire species.

"I can't forgive you" seems pretty accurate.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

okay, but contrast this with the average video games player, who isn't going to do most or any of that. a lot of people used GFs all game for offense and hit a wall at Adel when suddenly powerful multi-target spells were a detriment. another large group didn't understand how the Junction System worked even though there was a tutorial (which a lot of people also claim didn't exist).

I mean, most FFs have systems that are easily broken/irrelevant. Beta is supposed to be this mid-game spell you get when your party is strong enough to survive Midgarzolom but with like two easy steps, you can get it on your first encounter and there goes the difficulty curve for about fifteen hours. FFX is broken just by using Yuna normally, and god help the enemies if you send Yuna down a strength path. there's nothing hard about IX but just doing the chocobo mini game gives you equipment that puts you light years ahead of any story enemies you're going to face at the time

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

BrightWing posted:

I would go so far as to say Light/Fang/Hope is the "meta" team. Its got the three highest offensive stat peeps, access to all the roles, all three characters have good animations for what they want to do so no jankiness there (SAZH!!!), it has Fang period, two medics (that's a personal pref thing I know). There's really no reason to NOT use this party. I'm just being stubborn. My biggest surprise right now with my usual bench warmers is how good Snow actually is. His animations are super super fast, so fast he can get ahead of other characters because hes already done with his last attacks and already charging his next ones.

If you're talking during the main game, then you'd use the inverse because Sazh gets haste for one, and his other buffs are offensive. Vanille is your only healer, but her debuffs make the enemy's defenses lower, which means you have double the effect. Snow's... well, his main thing from what I remember was having both Commando and Ravager so he was always useful. Light/Fang/Hope was just really slow and reliable rather than quick and risky.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Got my second economizer. One for Terra, one for Celes. Main team is Celes (support magic such as buff and heal spells, status effects), Terra (offense magic),Locke (little to no magic except those acquired from Raiden and basic heal magic), and Gau (stray cat rage, going to find Nightshade soon).

I chose Celes and Terra to have support and offense magic respectively because of their storylines. Celes is a trained soldier but learns to fight for what she cares for. She starts out cold as ice but end up with a warm heart, so she gets support. Terra is a character who starts out immersed in her feelings and this never changes, but she’s willing to fight to protect what she loves by any means necessary so I’m giving her offensive magic.

Love how I can role play in FFVI via customization the way I can in FFVIII while using expansive game systems for that customization without sacrificing what I personally see in the characters. For this reason and many others this play through, I think FFVI might be my favorite FF now. Somethings about the gameplay in the customization and other features just clicked this run.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 6, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The biggest detriment to snow/vanille/sazh is that I have to see snows stupid face for any amount of time

Clearly the best party is sazh/fang/lightning

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
In my playthrough of FF13 last year (which was my 2nd) I mostly used Lightning/Fang/Vanille because it's one of the most offensive teams. The only times I was forced to change was during boss fights where you need a lot more defense so my team was always Snow/Sazh/Hope because Snow is the best Sentinel (which helps avoid main character death game over) and then you have every buff in the game stacked on everyone. The boss fights took forever because I didn't do max damage but my nerds were immortal. They took no damage from anything and always put buffs back up when they went down or were dispelled.

Other than the post-game crazy stuff you can do every fight in the game with one of those 2 teams.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm playing FF2 PSP.

Can I get some general tips for the game? I seem to recall something about evasion being important?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Raxivace posted:

So I'm playing FF2 PSP.

Can I get some general tips for the game? I seem to recall something about evasion being important?

Endgame enemies deal defense-ignoring percentile damage, so only evasion is effective.
Wait for someone who has actually played the game for more details though, I only remember that factoid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

So I'm playing FF2 PSP.

Okay, here is how you break Final Fantasy the 2nd.

Go to the starting area. Kill all but one enemy. Beat yourself up repeatedly and level up all of your skills and magic quickly.

Never grind again.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 7, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Put exactly one party member in the front row with no armor of any kind. This is your tank.

The way you increase your stats is by using them. That means the way to increase evasion is by evading. Armor reduces evasion chance. Evasion is preferable to defense.

Instant-death spells like Banish and Toad are actually useful, though they need to be high enough in level in order to be effective.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Do the bonus stuff since I believe it gives you broken spells early, like Osmose and Toad.

Standard way to cheese the game is have one dedicated frontliner (usually Maria since she has the highest starting Agility, which affects Evasion), a Black Mage, and a White Mage. Stick to light armor for mages since some stuff gives spellcasting penalties (which the game never tells you, of course), I’ll post a website that lists that stuff tomorrow if I remember.

Just play the game as normal until your other frontliners start getting pasted, then move them to the back and make them exclusively mages. You really shouldn’t need to grind anything besides Esuna, MP, and maybe Toad. Grinding is crazy fast in the PSP version though so it should be fine.

Generally swords are the best weapon but you can get by with what looks cool to you. Just make sure your front liner has a shield for evasion. Also ending battle with a permanent debuff nullifies your stat gains (unless the remakes changed that, don’t remember if they did or not).

The original game is surprisingly more balanced than most people realize and even in the original you’re wasting time and sanity doing the select-cancel trick beyond really dumb spells like Esuna. The remakes make leveling vastly faster, so honestly you can ignore all the advice I just mentioned and still steamroll the PSP version. It’s just this way you can obliterate it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When I was younger I thought Golbez was a loving genius because he was the only mage I'd seen at that point to wear heavy armor.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

kweh>wark

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's good they separated Mist Charges and MP in Zodiac Age but save crystals shouldn't refill your Mist Charges.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kweh is for chocos west of the Mississippi river, wark is what they say east of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yellow chocobo wark this way and red chocobo wark this way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

yellow chocobo wark this way and red chocobo wark this way

You mean yellow chocobo wark this way and red chocobo wark this kweh.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
All I can think of is Aerosmith's Walk this Way but with teenage chocobos in Choco High School instead.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cool i love it when the ff13 final boss casts Death on your party leader and you're just hosed and there's nothing you can do about it

a+ encounter design

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

No.

Wark is easier to make puns out of.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Kweh is for chocos west of the Mississippi river, wark is what they say east of it.

I like this joke.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

cool i love it when the ff13 final boss casts Death on your party leader and you're just hosed and there's nothing you can do about it

a+ encounter design

It's a dick move because the game never tells you this, but that attack preferentially targets sentinels.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Himuro posted:

I chose Celes and Terra to have support and offense magic respectively because of their storylines. Celes is a trained soldier but learns to fight for what she cares for. She starts out cold as ice but end up with a warm heart, so she gets support. Terra is a character who starts out immersed in her feelings and this never changes, but she’s willing to fight to protect what she loves by any means necessary so I’m giving her offensive magic.

Love how I can role play in FFVI via customization the way I can in FFVIII while using expansive game systems for that customization without sacrificing what I personally see in the characters. For this reason and many others this play through, I think FFVI might be my favorite FF now. Somethings about the gameplay in the customization and other features just clicked this run.

THANK YOU, this post perfectly encapsulates my rationale while playing it too, and is an antidote to "what a stupid baby system, just teach everyone Ultima."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Himuro posted:

They learn fewer of these spells than what you'll get with magicite, but this basically follows how they learn magic naturally too. Celes's ultimate spells are like Life 2 and Holy, and Terra's ultimate spells are Ultima and idk probably Meteor or Quake

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

They learn fewer of these spells than what you'll get with magicite, but this basically follows how they learn magic naturally too. Celes's ultimate spells are like Life 2 and Holy, and Terra's ultimate spells are Ultima and idk probably Meteor or Quake

This is actually kinda backwards. Cure and Poisona are the only white magic spells Celes ever learns, and her final spells are Holy, Flare, and Meteor. She gets more time magic type stuff than Terra, including Hastega. Terra gets Life 2, though she does also get Meltdown and Ultima (at level 99).

I think a more logical mechanical reason is that Celes has a defensive special ability and Terra an offensive one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

It's good they separated Mist Charges and MP in Zodiac Age but save crystals shouldn't refill your Mist Charges.

If you ever try to get the achievement for having all the Mist endings, you'll think differently about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raxivace posted:

So I'm playing FF2 PSP.

What everyone else said, have only one character in the front row. Characters in the back row literally can't be targeted by normal physical attacks, so whoever's in the front will be taking the majority of the damage (spells and special attacks will still get through). Give that person a shield and keep them naked to maximize their evade%. You get agility experience based on your evasion, and agility increases your evade%, so it has a snowball effect. They'll also get a lot of evade level experience (which is separate from evade%, and is the number of attacks the character can attempt to evade) because that's based on the number of times targeted by physical attacks. Eventually you'll want to give them some armor or they'll get destroyed by unavoidable attacks, but avoid heavy armor at all costs.