Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I went to a Q1 kit today.

Won one of my two conversion kits.

First time winning any tournament, though I wouldn't saya ctually my best performance, that's easily the UK system open this year.

And yeah, 2e cannot come soon enough. I'm hoping we'll see rules online in the next couple of weeks, it would make sense to avoid misinformation i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I just can't say enough how cool it is that you don't need push the limit to actually do anything interesting with maneuverable ships.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Panzeh posted:

I just can't say enough how cool it is that you don't need push the limit to actually do anything interesting with maneuverable ships.

poo poo, I love that the must have cards are just plain built in.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

TheCenturion posted:

poo poo, I love that the must have cards are just plain built in.

and TLTs will be rotting in hell

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Raged posted:

and TLTs will be rotting in hell

I’m curious to see how bombs are handled. I’d love to see auto damage removed completely from the game.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I don't even know why bombs were auto-damage. Just make them roll red dice when they detonate to do damage like any other attack.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
That kid flying the control BroBots is flying like a daemon.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Check out that A-Wing blowing up the interceptor, something nearly impossible in 1.0
Not true! I had a tournament just after Kwing came out where my VI Jake oneshotted Soontirs in 3 of my 4 games :madmax:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

That kid flying the control BroBots is flying like a daemon.

That really was an excellent game. Has that 1 straight template been the right length, I bet the bomber would have been ionized off.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

That really was an excellent game. Has that 1 straight template been the right length, I bet the bomber would have been ionized off.

Yeah, I am really glad he won. His opponent had to know his template was too short. Pretty sure the first thing we all do when we get new templates is to compare the lengths with the old templates.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Brobots in the final. 24 hours ago if you told me that I wouldn't have believed you.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Trophy headed back to Europe. Krayts who?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Panzeh posted:

generic interceptors, good?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The only other World's final without a turret was 2013 TIE swarm vs Biggs walks the dogs. Probably why it's the first interesting final for the last 5 years. (heaver v eide was alright I guess)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That was one hell of a final and the top 4 match with the brobots was also great.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I missed all of Worlds except for part of the last match but was it always at that weird angle?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
All three of Simeon's games we streamed were amazing. Loved every minute of that, and watching Corran disassemble Ghost Fenn. Now to sleep before I'm back on the stream commentating Destiny all day tomorrow!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

hoiyes posted:

The only other World's final without a turret was 2013 TIE swarm vs Biggs walks the dogs. Probably why it's the first interesting final for the last 5 years. (heaver v eide was alright I guess)

You forget 2012. Before turrets existed.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

pbpancho posted:

You forget 2012. Before turrets existed.

Nope, the runner up Nick Stanton had an ion turret on a Y.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Turrets have always been part of the game, just originally they only did 1 damage per shooting.

They get in the way of the original Rebel swarm of 5x Y-Wings though

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I’m curious to see how bombs are handled. I’d love to see auto damage removed completely from the game.

(Dial) bombs are instead dropped all at the same time in the System phase, between planning and activation.

Some bombs do still do autodamage, but they're a LOT easier to avoid now.

Also, I can now say I've played two world champions. I even beat one of them!

(Nand and Sim, for the record, and it was Sim I won against XD)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think bombs need to be random, just not being able to drop perfect info bombs is enough imo.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

hoiyes posted:

Nope, the runner up Nick Stanton had an ion turret on a Y.

Ah yeah, I was thinking PWTs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've got this plastic toolbox that I keep my X-wing modification tools in, and I'm considering using it to carry ships instead of lugging my entire collection to each league. Has anyone bought/made custom-fit foam before? I feel it'll be much better than the ships just moving around freely.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I just saw that Vader is 84 points. That seems like a lot for an ace. I wonder if this signals a general move away from aces and named pilots?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Smegmalicious posted:

I just saw that Vader is 84 points. That seems like a lot for an ace. I wonder if this signals a general move away from aces and named pilots?

I believe standard dogfights will now be 200 points.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smegmalicious posted:

I mean, his ability is straight up better.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Even at 200 points that’s 42% of your list on a small ship.

Edit: looks like 84 points is Vader with three upgrades.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Vader and 4 ties 😍

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Han and 3 Z-95s, i'm gonna make it work in 2.0

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

League buddy got this alt art card at Worlds:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Smegmalicious posted:

They did say that aces will be more expensive, which is a welcome change.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got this plastic toolbox that I keep my X-wing modification tools in, and I'm considering using it to carry ships instead of lugging my entire collection to each league. Has anyone bought/made custom-fit foam before? I feel it'll be much better than the ships just moving around freely.

I and my friends use Feldherr trays and they are very good for the price. Plenty of options for X-Wing as well as lots of other games. If you are in the US they might be difficult to get hold of.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got one of the ubiquitous Plano cases to transport my ships. For my large, double-sided one I use to store my entire collection I've used 2mm crafting foam to line the compartments and dividers and keep the ships loose. As for the single case I use for transporting ships, I've used the plastic dividers as a template to make cardboard dividers, cut them in half horizontally, and cut a notch in them to allow me to store my ships as so:

It won't accommodate wide/long/tall ships all too well and I end up having to keep them loose, but I feel confident they won't get damaged en route.

I don't know what your toolbox looks like or if this idea would even be applicable, BUT I'm just throwing this out there in the off chance it'll help.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Smegmalicious posted:

Where did you see this?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With no pilot skill fuckery allowed and natively the highest pilot skill in the game, plus ship abilities and pilot abilities that are at worst on par and arguably better than in 1.0, and the ability to use force points as focus tokens in a pinch, Vader in 2.0 is significantly better than before.

The equivalent of 42 points (upgraded) sounds about right, if not a little low.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Upping the points to 200 allows for twice as much granularity too, which is a nice touch. Means we're not going to have the problem of upgrades that are too good to be 1 point but not good enough to be 2 points either being no brainer includes or wastes of points so much anymore.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

alg posted:

They did say that aces will be more expensive, which is a welcome change.

They did. They've learned apparently that high PS and lots of repositioning is worth a huge premium, especially in a world with dramatically fewer perfect-info bombs and much more dodgeable turrets.

And Vader's ability is by FAR the best ace ability we've seen to date. With Afterburners, he can boost, roll, focus, and lock, all in the same round, for no stress, and still have a force left over to mod with later. It seems likely that doing even two of those, and especially two repositions or two dice mods together, will be almost vanishingly rare.

Vader has the best pilot ability we've seen so far, and I'd be surprised if it's not the best in the game. It should cost.

Arquinsiel posted:

Upping the points to 200 allows for twice as much granularity too, which is a nice touch. Means we're not going to have the problem of upgrades that are too good to be 1 point but not good enough to be 2 points either being no brainer includes or wastes of points so much anymore.

Also, charges allow for much more flexible use of upgrades, too. If a one-use upgrade is not costed right at one point or two points, but the same upgrade with infinite use can't be costed right either, then cost it at two points and make it two- or three-use.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Found the X-Wing 2.0 Demo video with the Vader build in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVO3aLQ2Cis

Vader has four upgrades: Sense, Afterburners, FCS, and Cluster Missiles. So 84 points seems definitely on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh man, Afterburners only has two charges? That's unfortunate.