Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Please do not capture Winnipeg. My grandparents met there and my dad was born there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bunnyofdoom posted:

Please do not capture Winnipeg. My grandparents met there and my dad was born there.
Well I'm sure we can all agree bombing Salt Lake City is a worthy objective :japan:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Amazing. if the map stretched out farther, you could bomb Chicago from Winnipeg, which is really quite something.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Saint Celestine posted:

Amazing. if the map stretched out farther, you could bomb Chicago from Winnipeg, which is really quite something.

The map is insane like that, even without reaching the Great Lakes you can still conquer the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and all of the Canadian Prairie provinces. It's honestly pretty impressive how badly you can gently caress up Canada without the US caring at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: It's also correct that you can technically occupy Canadian bases large enough to support land-based bombers and perform strategic bombing on American bases on the West Coast without triggering the emergency reinforcements. This is also the only way for the Japanese player to score strategic bombing points against the Allies.

There's no way to do it in Australia? I'd have thought there were airfields there you could capture and then bomb uncaptured cities in australia.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
And 99% of the fighting in this game is taking place near Rabaul...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Leperflesh posted:

There's no way to do it in Australia? I'd have thought there were airfields there you could capture and then bomb uncaptured cities in australia.

The trigger line in Australia is one hex south of Brisbane and Tasmania, everything else in the country is fair game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I meant, can you do strategic bombing in australia...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Leperflesh posted:

I meant, can you do strategic bombing in australia...

Ah, I misread that, sorry.

On the east coast, sure, that's the only place I can think of that's built up enough to be worthwhile in terms of points. Unlike the other places that Japan can strategically bomb on the map it's also fairly close to the Japanese supply lines.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 6, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wedgekree posted:

I didn't know the Japanese had strategic bombers! Cool. Well, the thing with sending hot air balloons wtih firebombs aside.

Strategic bombing is a mission, which means you can have your Betties and other (smaller) bombers do it, though they won't super effective at it.

The alternate history scenarios do allow you to produce the G8N Rita, which was a Japanese heavy bomber design that's roughly comparable to the B-17 Fortress.

Leperflesh posted:

Okay, I double-checked, and I stand corrected: the Japanese player can score VPs by bombing industries in North America, Australia, and Hawaii.

EDIT: and you can bomb any other city, and it produces the mechanical results that you would expect, such as no more production of supplies (which is useful in sieging Chungking), but it won't yield any VPs directly.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

And 99% of the fighting in this game is taking place near Rabaul...

Is it possible to put more fighters in Rabaul and upgrade the airfields moreso than you already have or not enough of a payoff if the Allies continue to seige it?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Grey Hunter posted:

Another oiler is left burning.

Welp, see ya on the other side, granddad.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey should send an invasion force to that little strip of Africa. They would never see it coming;.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ikasuhito posted:

Grey should send an invasion force to that little strip of Africa Antarctica. They would never see it coming;.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
fak u penguins!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question, why do the Japanese planes have such Anglo names? Oscar, Bettie, and now Rita? Or are they longer Japanese style names that happened to have Anglo names encased inside of them and allied airmen just nicknamed them?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Those were the names assigned to them by the US. Certainly not the names the Japanese gave them.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Question, why do the Japanese planes have such Anglo names? Oscar, Bettie, and now Rita? Or are they longer Japanese style names that happened to have Anglo names encased inside of them and allied airmen just nicknamed them?

They're code / reporting names so allied soldiers could yell oh poo poo a Zero and not have to memorize A6M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Allied_names_for_Japanese_aircraft

e: beaten

e:

quote:

In an effort to make the names sound somewhat comical, McCoy gave many of the aircraft 'hillbilly' names, such as "Zeke" and "Rufe," that he had encountered while growing up in Tennessee. Others were given names of people the creators of the system knew personally; the Mitsubishi G4M bomber, with its large gun blisters was named "Betty" in homage to a busty female friend of Williams.

Stay classy, Williams

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2018

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I always wondered what the heck a Rufe was.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They did use Japanese for one: the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka, which they called the Baka.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
In terms of the Japanese naming system, lets take a look at the most famous Japanese fighter, the Zero.

The American code name for the plane was "Zeke", but it's Japanese name was the A6M

"A" meant it was a carrier based fighter, 6 meant that it was the 6th carrier based fighter, and M meant that it was built by Mitsubishi.

The Betty was the G4M. G, because it was a land based attack bomber, 4 because it was the 4th of that type, and M because Mitsubishi.

So that's how the Navy named their planes. For the Army, lets take the Oscar

The Oscar was the Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa Army Type 1 Fighter

Every plane had a Ki number...This was a number assigned to all plane projects in order So, since it was the Ki-43, it was the 43rd plane conceived by the Japanese army. The "Type" was based on year. It came into service in year 2601 (1941 using the western calendar), so it was "Type 1". "Fighter" is put on the end in case it needs to be distinguished from any other planes that came into service in 2601. It was made by Nakajima, and the nickname for it was the "Hayabusa", or the "Peregrine Falcon".

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the raiders should visit Manus?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Allies throw more men away at Truk.

The carriers are out sinking stuff.

Here's our friend from yesterday.

There are always ships in Milne Bay.

It's just the Connor in the afternoon.

Baroom!

Poor bastards.

Now here's an island that's not been raided in a while. The fighters based here put up a really good fight.

My god, we properly murdered those carrier based aircraft!

Screw it. Lets have a go.

21/100.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Now is an excellent time to attack, as they are 19 planes short.

:getin:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ah, so this is where Hunter's tongue gets bit off

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Is it time to get carrier'd? :japan:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

preemptive :rip:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Somebody is getting :rip:-ed either way.
Is mutual complete sinking possible here? (I don't care about how improbable)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Omobono posted:

Teeeeeechnically possible? If one side got murdered by the morning strikes, their aircraft escaped to an airbase within range and then struck back and wiped out the other side in the afternoon?

Or just a torpedo party all around that means everyone sinks after the event, I suppose.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
The entire Japanese Carrier force being stomped by a pair of CVEs does seem nicely fitting. Or Intel has it a *bit* wrong and those two CVE's are actually the whole missing Allied super fleet carrier group.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Now here's an island that's not been raided in a while. The fighters based here put up a really good fight.

My god, we properly murdered those carrier based aircraft!
Some of those 12 operational losses are likely to be the surviving 13 damaged carrier based aircraft too, right? Still quite a few surviving Helldivers, but that'll help limit their ability to strike in the coming carrier battle.

edit:

whitewhale posted:

The entire Japanese Carrier force being stomped by a pair of CVEs does seem nicely fitting. Or Intel has it a *bit* wrong and those two CVE's are actually the whole missing Allied super fleet carrier group.

I think intel has to be wrong. We just saw 72 carrier-based airframes in today's attack, I don't think that 2 American CVEs could carry that many; I believe it would take at least 3 CVEs, or 2 full CVs or 2 CVLs could also carry more than 72 planes.

fermun fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 6, 2018

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

fermun posted:

I think intel has to be wrong. We just saw 72 carrier-based airframes in today's attack, I don't think that 2 American CVEs could carry that many; I believe it would take at least 3 CVEs, or 2 full CVs or 2 CVLs could also carry more than 72 planes.

CVEs typically carried a Wildcat/Avenger air group, too, not Hellcat/Helldiver.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

whitewhale posted:

They're flying Hellcats and Helldivers, they're definitely fleet carriers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Decisive battle incoming. :munch:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
hope grey hunter upgraded his carrier planes!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Great. Those guys show up just when the Yamato and the other carrier killers are being repaired. How are we suppose to sink those without battleships?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It only needs a screen of destroyers to drop a few score torpedoes in the middle of the night and then gtfo.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Great. Those guys show up just when the Yamato and the other carrier killers are being repaired. How are we suppose to sink those without battleships?

Grey only needs to lure the Enemy Carriers to within 1km of Turk...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Omobono posted:

If both TFs send all their planes to attack and don't have any left to protect, then yes all the ships sink and then probably all the planes end up ditching in the ocean. This would cripple both navies and the war would probably last until late 1946 when the game ends on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CannonFodder posted:

If both TFs send all their planes to attack and don't have any left to protect, then yes all the ships sink and then probably all the planes end up ditching in the ocean. This would cripple both navies and the war would probably last until late 1946 when the game ends on time.

gently caress yeah let's do this