Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

PaintVagrant posted:

Test scheme/WIP lil nids:

These will look really good if you go for a creamy bone color on the talons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I tried both at once point or another. Cutting off just the shoulder pad was really tedious, but I think it's the easier option for the Inceptors and Gravis Captain. Replacing the shoulder entirely worked much easier on the rest of them.

In particular, where it was possible I assembled the arms after cutting off the original parts but before gluing on the new shoulder. When I put the new shoulders on, they're lined up with the arms, but the arms and shoulder are not actually connected by anything. I get the feeling that trying to attach the shoulder to the arms before attaching it to the body would suck.

Hmm, doesn't sound too insane then. Would using some greenstuff under the shoulderpad have made things easier? At least you can fudge the shoulder into position?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

I really like this Nid scheme.

Nice job on the Drukhari. I mostly like the plastic characters even if they give me a bit of sticker shock still. I sort of dislike the Archon's default pose although it's very easy to swap in other DE bits as I did on my one upthread.

Yeah i did wonder about trying to arm swap in some left over bits from the Kabalite kit, but given I’m only going to have one and it will only come out for tournaments I decided to just leave it as default. It is, indeed, a slightly weird pose.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
A couple new things on gw, DW Primaris Apothecary. Only difference is the shoulder pad?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

A couple new things on gw, DW Primaris Apothecary. Only difference is the shoulder pad?

It's just the normal apothecary + the entire DW upgrade sprue (for the cost of a normal apothecay + entire upgrade sprue)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This is probably more an issue with how I was painting, but if GW makes more LotD models I really hope they go with the raised fire sculpt exclusively rather than mixing it in with the recessed outline fires. I was doing thin layers to build up an orange transition and most of the pigment kept ending up in the channels.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Z the IVth posted:

Hmm, doesn't sound too insane then. Would using some greenstuff under the shoulderpad have made things easier? At least you can fudge the shoulder into position?

All of the ones in Know No Fear are Easy-build kits. I ended up using spare arms from the Deathwatch SC I bought last week to cut the bare shoulders from, and then put the Deathwatch shoulder pads from the upgrade kit on that. So I wasn't literally just putting empty shoulder pads on things (which sounds hilarious in a bad way, now that the thought occurs to me). It's just that there wasn't really a need to actually glue the bare shoulders to the arms, and trying to do so differently would have driven me insane. That's directly because the Easy-build kits have the slotted weapon/arm assemblies and the arm is going to line up naturally with the shoulder anyway.

I'm probably explaining it poorly. :v:

EDIT: If Dark Imperium is a normal sprue and not Easy-build it's literally just as easy as using Deathwatch left shoulder pads instead of plain ones.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dark Imperium has molded-in shoulder pads. It's a completely separate sprue from anything else.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think Deathwatch get access to any of the Dark Imperium characters so watch out.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think Deathwatch get access to any of the Dark Imperium characters so watch out.

Their whole deal with mission tactics means they don't need lieutenants anyway, but it sucks not having an ancient when they're so few in number even if fluff wise it makes perfect sense.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
What are some kits with bits that work well with primaris? I'd like to turn all these Primaris I have into Deathwatch but I really want every Marine to have character as befits the Deathwatch so wondering how best to customize them and make every Marine unique and represent their chapter.

Something like Primaris Kill Team Cassius is ultimately what I'd want to aim for.

I do wonder how many models a 1500 pt batallion would be. I'm hoping I can keep it pretty low with maybe 2 Fortis kill teams and a regular one. Too many intercessors would drive me crazy.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Battle Report! I mentioned last week that I would be facing Admech for the first time ever. Got some great advice from PierreTheMime on the dangers of the Transuranic Arquebus, and he wasn't wrong. I did end up having to deal with Cawl and a Knight as well, but it was the Kastelan Robots that really ruined my day. Ended up losing badly, but still had fun. It was also my first post-FAQ game, and that had major consquences. Forgot to take more pictures during the battle (was too busy picking up my models and putting them away...), but did get a couple shots of deployment:

My List (World Eaters / Khorne Demons)

Terminator Lord
Kharn
Demon Prince with Wings (Warlord)
Exalted Champion
8 x Berserkers w/ chainaxes and bolt pistols
Rhino
Hellbrute w/ Fist and Multi-Melta
Forgefiend w/ 2 x Autocannons and Ectoplasma
10 x Cultists with CCWs and flamer
10 x Cultists with Autoguns and Hvy. Stubber
Bloodthirster
30 x Bloodletters

His approximate list:
Cawl
Techpriest (Warlord)
More Techpriests
Data priest
Knight
2 x 2 Robots
3 x Plasma Breachers
3 x 5 Electro Priests
3 units of Skitarii with Transuranic Arquebus
2 x Dunecrawlers

Deployment:
We rolled Retrieval (4 OBJs counted at end of game), I won next roll and selected Spearhead Assault thinking that I could tie up more of his units with my assaults due to the narrow space, and short potential distance between us. He got first turn (trouble begins). I held my Terminators, Lord, and Bloodletters back (using 3 CP for the banner of Blood and deepstrike strategems, which worked great before FAQ, but not so much now). I thought the FAQ only said I couldn't deepstrike into HIS deployment zone turn 1. Knowing better now, I will be far less like to try the Bloodletter bomb tactic.

Turns 1-2:
He immediately nuked and killed my Forgefiend, and 19 of 20 cultists. I advanced up, using a big central structure to try to shield my Bloodthirster and Prince from his Knight and Dunecrawlers, planning to then fly them over the next turn to deal with his Knight. My Rhino and Hellbrute moved up to support the attack on turn 2. Turn 2, he killed the Hellbrute and started ripping my Bloodthirster down with shooting from his Robots and Breachers, got it down to 1 wound remaining. I finally 'killed' something when two overcharged breachers killed themselves when rerolling their shots! My turn 2, the wounded Bloodthirster and Prince attacked his Knight and caused some decent damage, but couldn't kill it. They did at least survive the return attacks. I dropped the bloodletters in, and they charged forward with the Berserkers to kill the last Breacher and engage some Electro Priests and Robots. Terminators dropped and engaged with a Dunecrawler, but only lightly damaged he.

Turns 3-4:
He fell back everywhere and killed the Berserkers, Bloodthirster, and Prince with shooting. His knight charged the surviving Terminators and squished them. Priests repaired basically everything. I had Kharn and the Champion jump back into the Rhino and hide for a turn. Turn 4, Kharn and the Champion made a suicide charge against his Warlord Priest that had been repairing the Knight. Kharn killed her, but also murdered the Champion before following up against the Knight and getting immediately squished. I was left with a love heavy stubber cultist hiding on an objective near my zone so we called it. He would have won 7-1 or something like that.

Lessons Learned:
post-FAQ, I need a better plan for deepstrike with the Terminators and Bloodletters. They probably could have just run up the field and still accomplished the same thing. I also think I need to try a deployment map that runs longways; that might force my opponent to spread out more so that I can overwhelm a flank. Seriously thinking about converting up some Primaris Reivers to be Berserkers so that I can run a couple rhinos full. Right now, my lone squad tends to kill one thing, then get murdered in the next turn of shooting. Two rhinos with two squads might allow me to kill and then tie up more stuff and better support each other. I also need to do a better job of hiding my Bloodthirster while it moves up so that it doesn't get focused down and killed so easily. Also need to do a better job of taking repair into account; little point in damaging things that will just get repaired before I can finish them off.

Overall, a fun game against a new opponent with an army I haven't faced before. First time against a Knight too, and it was just as nasty as expected!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
This won the monthly painting comp at the local gw:

Pretty clever conversion.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

What are some kits with bits that work well with primaris? I'd like to turn all these Primaris I have into Deathwatch but I really want every Marine to have character as befits the Deathwatch so wondering how best to customize them and make every Marine unique and represent their chapter.

Something like Primaris Kill Team Cassius is ultimately what I'd want to aim for.

I do wonder how many models a 1500 pt batallion would be. I'm hoping I can keep it pretty low with maybe 2 Fortis kill teams and a regular one. Too many intercessors would drive me crazy.

I've used deathwatch, grey knights, stern/vanguard and command squad bits to great effect when building out my fist crusader squads https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh4WnEHnM5s/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

that's so cool

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Overall, a fun game against a new opponent with an army I haven't faced before. First time against a Knight too, and it was just as nasty as expected!

Cool batrep! I think one of the learnings should probably also be "don't take forgefiends"... they're just so bad this edition since you need to constantly feed them CP to hit anything, and even then, only with a full W profile.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artum posted:

While that is indeed pretty sweet, I chuckled at you complementing your own cleverness.

Managed to nab 2nd in a 1,650 RTT yesterday with my CWE. The guy who won ran the following:
Custodes Batt:
Shield-Captain on Dawneagle (3++ Relic)
3x3 Custodes
1x4 Dawneagle Bikes

Super-Heavy Aux Detachment:
Questoris Knight Styrix
- Hekaton Siege Claw upgrade

Quick question - can a Superheavy Aux Detachment utilize codex stratagems? Or is it limited to the index + Custodes? Not having Cycle Ionic Shields would be peachy.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

While that is indeed pretty sweet, I chuckled at you complementing your own cleverness.

I'm p sure he didn't paint it

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

I've used deathwatch, grey knights, stern/vanguard and command squad bits to great effect when building out my fist crusader squads https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh4WnEHnM5s/

These look cool! I have a sternguard kit and will look into some of the others.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

These will look really good if you go for a creamy bone color on the talons.

Yeah I’m struggling w weapon color choice. I want something distinct.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm p sure he didn't paint it

Wups misread that :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

This is delightful.

Boon posted:

Managed to nab 2nd in a 1,650 RTT yesterday with my CWE. The guy who won ran the following:
Custodes Batt:
3x3 Custodes
1x4 Dawneagle Bikes

Super-Heavy Aux Detachment:
Questoris Knight Styrix
- Hekaton Siege Claw upgrade

Quick question - can a Superheavy Aux Detachment utilize codex stratagems? Or is it limited to the index + Custodes? Not having Cycle Ionic Shields would be peachy.

If they have the QUESTORIS IMPERIALIS tag they'll get the stuff from Chapter Approved, but a Super-heavy Aux can't get the Ad Mech ones because none of the units in it have the Ad Mech tag.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Played a match today where my opponent had super cheesecake 3rd party stand-ins for his noise marines and made constant tentacle rape jokes regarding his chaos spawn and my Sisters of Battle.

Hams really are the worst.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Wups misread that :(

You wound me sir. :colbert:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Floppychop posted:

Played a match today where my opponent had super cheesecake 3rd party stand-ins for his noise marines and made constant tentacle rape jokes regarding his chaos spawn and my Sisters of Battle.

I do not have the mental toughness to see a game like that through to the end.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artum posted:

You wound me sir. :colbert:

I have confidence in your abilities :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah I’m struggling w weapon color choice. I want something distinct.

Dark blue? But I wonder if it would distract too much.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

I have confidence in your abilities :)

I keep meaning to enter since everyone says I should and its mostly been the same guy winning repeatedly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a good alternative to the GW Imperial Bunker? It's kind of ugly and covered in dead Cadians.

I was hoping to bash one out of Cities of Death terrain and Necromunda bulkheads, but really anything would be an option.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

Is there a good alternative to the GW Imperial Bunker? It's kind of ugly and covered in dead Cadians.

I was hoping to bash one out of Cities of Death terrain and Necromunda bulkheads, but really anything would be an option.

You could go the old-timey route and make one out of foam?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Artum posted:

I keep meaning to enter since everyone says I should and its mostly been the same guy winning repeatedly.

Are you doing the iron-man painting challenge in the store? I was going to until I realised you have to order the full 2k in-store.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lungboy posted:

Are you doing the iron-man painting challenge in the store? I was going to until I realised you have to order the full 2k in-store.

Nah I'm genuinely incapable of painting quickly, I've barely painted 5 skitarii in 3 weeks though battletech really hasn't helped.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Blood Angels shoulderpads make the old batwing ones look pretty bad

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The second head looks really irate over somebody having poured cheese over their head.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Artum posted:

You could go the old-timey route and make one out of foam?

It's looking like this is the answer!

Or maybe a pillbox using a hexagonal mache box as the base.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

The new Blood Angels shoulderpads make the old batwing ones look pretty bad

True, but you can't replace that death mask or those nipples

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

The second head looks really irate over somebody having poured cheese over their head.

Yeah, what's up with those heads? Aren't the Blood Angels supposed to be pretty?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Floppychop posted:

This sounds amazingly awesomely awful. Was he in any way aware of his creepiness?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Cool batrep! I think one of the learnings should probably also be "don't take forgefiends"... they're just so bad this edition since you need to constantly feed them CP to hit anything, and even then, only with a full W profile.

Thanks! I take it to give myself a little bit of a presence in the shooting phase. Stinks to have it removed at the top of Turn 1, but I guess it served as a distraction fex since it isn't the key to the army. I'd rather someone was shooting it up than my Rhino or Bloodthirster. If they ignore it, great, maybe I can shoot a few things.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sneaks posted:

True, but you can't replace that death mask or those nipples

My Primaris stuff really does make me miss nipple armor.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if there's no muscle striations it ain't BA to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey everyone. So thanks to my girlfriend who plays Chaos Demons I decided to take the plunge into 40K 8th edition. I use to play space Marine back in middle school. I actually think I still have the models and a core book somewhere.

Anyway, I decided that I wanna play Craftworld Eldar because the idea of playing any of the Imperium armies sounds boring. I was hoping someone could recommend a good resource for how the Eldar play and what models and units I should be buying to start building an army. Anything that is a good "Eldar 101" Resource for the most currant meta (If the idea of a Meta is a thing)

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 7, 2018