Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I like how little time it took for Zorome to go "Whatever, papa doesn't care, we did this ourselves."

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Dr. FranXX is going to help/manipulate the Plantation 13 kids into overthrowing APE. That has to be his endgame. FranXX will sacrifice himself ("I don't have much longer to live anyways" etc etc) so the kids can stay alive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nine of Eight posted:

I like how little time it took for Zorome to go "Whatever, papa doesn't care, we did this ourselves."

To be fair they were on their own (mostly) for a month.

It was nice to see that Zero Two and the squad can actually get along well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tekne posted:

It's a real possibility but the OP could be a huge troll as well.

All the symbolism in the show suggests Zero Two and Hiro are stand ins for Lif and Lifthrasir who survive Ragnarok to start life again.

Yeah, and the sickness and grey hairs this episode kind of lock it down. Good thing they're learning to survive on their own, because they're going to have to.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Tekne posted:

The snap that resounded across the multiverse.
I'm betting that's 001 aka Zero Two's mom.

It's Welwitschia from Flip Flappers.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The girl from the Mad Max: Yuri Road episode?

Also I am Extremely scared for the future of Hir02.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

On a brighter note, I took Werner's comments to Nana as a sign that she was a normal parasite before. Maybe all of squad 13's bodies need to struggle outside of Papa's sterile program before they can live normally. At least I hope that's the case.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zeruel posted:

Also I am Extremely scared for the future of Hir02.

It's Hiro Two get it right god drat

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

sincx posted:

Dr. FranXX is going to help/manipulate the Plantation 13 kids into overthrowing APE. That has to be his endgame. FranXX will sacrifice himself ("I don't have much longer to live anyways" etc etc) so the kids can stay alive.

Dr. Franxx might just want them to make babies to prove some point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lurking Haro posted:

Dr. Franxx might just want them to make babies to prove some point.

Maybe he wants to bring back a semblance of normal humanity that isn't just a majority of parasites that exist to be expended before they hit 14 or die of old age before 20.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mark my words, Dr. Franxx will turn out to be the estranged darlin~ of that new oni.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Seems plausible.
Just hope she's not scorned or anything.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i dob't watch this show post the new oni

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

i dob't watch this show post the new oni

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

that is the one-horned oni

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Ikuno's overdue for some more characterization, not to mention Miku.

MMania
May 7, 2008
Dat new OP, holy poo poo. And then we get a (mostly) happy fun time episode to maybe forget about all of the terrible foreshadowing in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MMania posted:

Dat new OP, holy poo poo. And then we get a (mostly) happy fun time episode to maybe forget about all of the terrible foreshadowing in it.

I do get the feeling that this was the kids’ entire happiness ration before everything slides slowly downhill into shitsville. It kind of felt like things were going a little too well for everyone.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I mean APE just sent an ultimatum to the klaxxosaur princess with their super weapon nearing completion. Same oni girl is now calling out to Zero Two. poo poo is going to hit the fan soon if not next episode. I just hope our kids survive what's coming.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

I do get the feeling that this was the kids’ entire happiness ration before everything slides slowly downhill into shitsville. It kind of felt like things were going a little too well for everyone.

Yeah that impending starvation with illness beginning to affect half of them was really making things look almost too good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah that impending starvation with illness beginning to affect half of them was really making things look almost too good.

They were starting to become self-sufficient, genuinely connect with each other, and question the assumptions that get them loaded into gently caress-robots and get launched at their society’s mutant victims. It was a glimpse of what could have been, and now we’re about to see what actually is.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Man, APE's logistics fuckin' suck. Squad 13 have been in active duty of all of what, a year? And they're starting to fever out/go grey.

Meaning they have a 13-14 year lead time on new parasites for a single year of duty.

One wonders what a "normal" human trying to pilot a FranXX looks like to justify that kind of logistical nightmare.

Also the mystery of what Nana/Hachi actually are deepens. Clearly still not "humans", but can't possibly be (unmodified) parasites either by their age.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're probably aging more quickly since they're some kind of special test, the normal parasite squads have all looked older.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Every time there is an APE scene I get distracted by how dangerous their chair setup is.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

APE is not OSHA compliant.

The book that appears in the show, The Golden Bough, says that the current religious order needs to be destroyed to return vitality to the world. Squad 13 is Franxx's attempt to do that.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

They're probably aging more quickly since they're some kind of special test, the normal parasite squads have all looked older.

Suicide Squad 26 and the 9s looked about the same age. Only Zero Two's one-time partners looked older.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tekne posted:

APE is not OSHA compliant.

The book that appears in the show, The Golden Bough, says that the current religious order needs to be destroyed to return vitality to the world. Squad 13 is Franxx's attempt to do that.

Yeah. The world also regains fertility after Ragnarok. One of the portents of which is the death of Baldr, the owner of the great ship Hringhorni. Baldr is of course killed by the one plant that didn't swear not to harm him:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

We will see this again.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0M2v7Erpk

Someone made a custom ship for BallisticNG themed around DarliFra and it's weirdly very good, to the point I'm kind of baffled that they took the time to basically recreate the FranXX cockpit for the cockpit view.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Hey that was a really good episode! I live for slice of life-esque episodes in my post-apocolyptic shows.
I thoroughly enjoyed everyone being friends!

So that... creature underground is not!Jörmungandr, right?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
They're such good kids, working through their problems both practical and emotional as a group.

And they're all going to die.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"alright the survival of existence itself depends on this, how do we make sure it works"

"let's engineer things so that only teens can fight, and only male and female pairs thus ensuring maximum teen drama at all times"

"perfect, this cannot possibly fail in any way"

and then everyone died

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

"alright the survival of existence itself depends on this, how do we make sure it works"

"let's engineer things so that only teens can fight, and only male and female pairs thus ensuring maximum teen drama at all times"

"perfect, this cannot possibly fail in any way"

and then everyone died

TBF, the ‘maximum teen drama at all times’ faction does seem to be a rogue element. The orthodox approach does seem to produce good, reliable, obedient soldiers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, the ‘maximum teen drama at all times’ faction does seem to be a rogue element. The orthodox approach does seem to produce good, reliable, obedient soldiers.

if it wasn't for the fact that it was explicitly shown to do so i wouldn't believe it

everything seems specifically made to be as much of a clusterfuck as possible

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

even down to the names

"sir why does our teen war machine use plant sex terms for pilots"

"because shut the gently caress up billy, that's why"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

if it wasn't for the fact that it was explicitly shown to do so i wouldn't believe it

everything seems specifically made to be as much of a clusterfuck as possible

Do remember, though, that the way Squad 13 are treated is massively atypical. Everyone else seems to be more of a drugged, up, mind-wiped weapon component than a person. At that point, you’re just getting into why militaries pick silly names and appearances for their equipment, which is hardly without precedent in the real world.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Do remember, though, that the way Squad 13 are treated is massively atypical. Everyone else seems to be more of a drugged, up, mind-wiped weapon component than a person. At that point, you’re just getting into why militaries pick silly names and appearances for their equipment, which is hardly without precedent in the real world.

i'm also getting into why the militaries seem to be staffed entirely with weird perverts

"sir sometimes our enemies barf clothing-destroying acid into our robots, should we maybe do something about that"

"billy i swear to god"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i'm also getting into why the militaries seem to be staffed entirely with weird perverts

"sir sometimes our enemies barf clothing-destroying acid into our robots, should we maybe do something about that"

"billy i swear to god"

I think it’s the other way around - there’s one weird pervert who wants to run the military like Mahou Sensei Negina, and everyone else just grimly tolerates him and tries to work around him. Pretty much every question about what the gently caress is up with FranXXes and their parasite pilots can be answered with ‘that creep Werner insisted we do this, and we had to humour him or we’d lose another three plantations’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'm also thinking that all the squads and plantations are ultimately expendable assets for APE's true objective. They only need them (and only to an extent) until Papa gets what he wants.

• Locked thread