Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What did I just watch

lol, you watched an iconic Star Trek moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What did I just watch

Not DS9.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I love that episode. It's 90% tense and serious and then the last few minutes it just loses it and goes off the rails with Clint Howard and other insanity.

Not bad insanity, more like "inspiration for Farscape" insanity.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I love that episode. It's 90% tense and serious and then the last few minutes it just loses it and goes off the rails with Clint Howard and other insanity.

Not bad insanity, more like "inspiration for Farscape" insanity.

Yeah, it was amazing.

And speaking of inspiration, I wonder if the fake alien didn't inspire Star Control to some degree.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Star Control is TOS as all get-out really

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Star Control is TOS as all get-out really

drat Earth ships and their butt missiles....

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love "The Corbromite Maneuver" for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest being because a modern viewer seeing that episode for the first time will see the alien and go "pfft, that looks like a cheap puppet :smug:" and then it turns out that's exactly what it is in the story too I love it

Windows 98 posted:

This new Dax is already better in five minutes of knowing her

I know, right? A shame they didn't introduce her like three seasons earlier.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What did I just watch

TOS.txt

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

Good. I’m glad Dax is dead. The character was poorly written and boring. There was a lot of potential but it went nearly entirely wasted.

Yeah she was really dull, she'd probably still be one of the more interesting cast members if she'd been on Voyager though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What did I just watch

Clint Howard's greatest role.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Why does Sisko have to be obsessed with the worst and most boring earth sport ugh. A whole episode of this dumb baseball poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Windows 98 posted:

A whole episode of this dumb baseball poo poo.

Who let the soulless minion of orthodoxy into the thread?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
GodDAMMIT Windows 98, I swear you're a Channeling Infiltrator sent to spread discord.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Windows 98 posted:

Why does Sisko have to be obsessed with the worst and most boring earth sport ugh. A whole episode of this dumb baseball poo poo.

Would you prefer ambyo-jutsu, the ultimate evolution of martial arts?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Hockey rules, baseball drools :colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

this could describe more than one episode, be precise

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Baseball is romanticized far more so than any other sport, particularly when it comes to fiction.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Windows 98 posted:

Hockey rules

I know autocorrect can be a jerk, but it's spelt "jai alai"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The biggest crime of ENT cancellation is that we never got an episode of the enterprise crew playing water polo against snooty vulcans.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

The biggest crime of ENT cancellation is that we never got an episode of the enterprise crew playing water polo against snooty vulcans.

against a team comprised of two xindi-primates, two xindi-arboreal, one xindi-reptilian, one xindi-insectoid, and the ringer, one xindi-aquatic

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Windows 98 posted:

At least it wasn't golf.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pinterest Mom posted:

against a team comprised of two xindi-primates, two xindi-arboreal, one xindi-reptilian, one xindi-insectoid, and the ringer, one xindi-aquatic

ENT had a lot of negatives, but boy I loved the xindi aquatics. It was lovely to finally see an aquatic space faring race with water ships.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baseball is boring and stupid as gently caress but I still enjoy that episode because of Odo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tom Guycot posted:

ENT had a lot of negatives, but boy I loved the xindi aquatics. It was lovely to finally see an aquatic space faring race with water ships.

Like VOY, ENT had no end of good ideas. The Andorians were also pretty neat in Enterprise, finally getting their day in the spotlight despite being a founding Federation member. Now if only the Tellarites would ever get the same treatment.

I think my favorite one-off, though, were the aliens from Silent Enemy. No wonder Star Trek Online took a liking to them and made them a major plot element.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Windows 98 posted:

Shibawanko posted:

Baseball is boring and stupid as gently caress

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Find this man and kill him.

This is a reference to the episode do not actually kill anyone

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I wonder if the naked xindi aquatics just pissed and shitted anywhere they wanted in their ship.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Windows 98 posted:

Death to the opposition!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ds9s ending sucks, huh. 0 closure.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 6, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tom Guycot posted:

I wonder if the naked xindi aquatics just pissed and shitted anywhere they wanted in their ship.

As opposed to what, in a special room sealed off by a waterlock?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

Ds9s ending sucks, huh. 0 closure.

It's not the very best ending, but it's better than that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A half hour dedicated to showing where all the characters go to move on with their lives, the end of a war that consumed half the series, the resolution of at least two characters' series long arcs, and an endless string of emotional goodbyes is 0 closure?

Is this one of those "trolls" I've heard so much about?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 6, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A half hour dedicated to showing where all the characters go to move on with their lives, the end of a war that consumed half the series, the resolution of at least two characters' series long arcs, and an endless string of emotional goodbyes is 0 closure?

Is this one of those "trolls" I've heard so much about?

Yeah really, what? That ending was perfect.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hell of a lot better than Voyager's "there's Earth. The end."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like Vic singing The Way You Look Tonight a lot

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Supposedly they filmed that scene last so as to get everyone genuinely emotional

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

I think my favorite one-off, though, were the aliens from Silent Enemy.

Watched this one because you brought it up. It's been quite a few years since I watched Enterprise. This one had the Reed's Favorite Food subplot as well. I liked it a lot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

Hockey rules, baseball drools :colbert:

Your avatar is immune to ublock origin and it's driving me insane

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

:gowron:

e: didn't there used to be an :odo: ?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah really, what? That ending was perfect.

Years ago, a friend of mine suggested one change they could have made to the last episode that I thought, “Yep, that would have been cool” - that the last moment of the show should have been Morn speaking.