Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

darthbob88 posted:

Not really; IIRC Lewis gets upset and has you disqualified, but gives you 750 tickets for your silence.

Oh that's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I can't wait for reports to come in from the capitalist hellscape that is separate wallets

Gonna rustle your cows at 1:30

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Psion posted:

the adventurers guild quest is bugged out, 0/10 slimes killed despite killing many, many slimes. My co-op partner had no problems getting their kills. i guess save editor time?

We've had an interesting variant on this: on a three-player farm, one of my friends and I got the "kill 10 slimes"* quest and the other got "kill 10 rock crabs" and has had to frustratedly hunt them down in the upper levels of the mine. Perhaps yours also actually says rock crabs or something?

* Not that I've started on it yet :v:.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Paul.Power posted:

We've had an interesting variant on this: on a three-player farm, one of my friends and I got the "kill 10 slimes"* quest and the other got "kill 10 rock crabs" and has had to frustratedly hunt them down in the upper levels of the mine. Perhaps yours also actually says rock crabs or something?

This isn't actually a MP thing, it's been a bug in the base game since release. The quest is linked in some way to the first thing you kill in the mines, so your friend must have killed a rock crab right at the start.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So stupid question, but when the official update is released will the single player updates apply to my current games or would I need to start over?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Goobish posted:

So stupid question, but when the official update is released will the single player updates apply to my current games or would I need to start over?

There’s no official word yet but the game hasn’t broken save compatibility yet so chances are good

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Paul.Power posted:

mine says slimes but I did kill some rock crabs early, so it's possible. I'll go hunting for those and see what happens to the quest progress.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The clock not stopping during menuing, fishing, conversations, and cutscenes is ... oof. Going to start using a time mod to be able to pause during cutscenes and slow it down a little in general so we have some time to do things. I haven't played the game before and having to skip stuff because the clock is nearing 2 AM really sucks :(

some whiny babies posted:

Shared wallets are bad
I wonder if these people have ever lived with someone else or had to share money or a budget. I've had no issues just saying "Hey mind if I buy some decorations" or saying "Nah go buy the backpack, you'll get more use out of it right now". It's not difficult.

Tracking who sells what also means that you can end up in a place where player 1 is out buying seeds and materials and player 2 is doing the farmwork, so now you have to micromanage who dumps things into the shipping bin...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would assume people who are up in arms that "it's MY money you goddamn commies!" also insist that exactly 1/(players) of the farm is theirs and want separate shipping bins.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Is the day lengthened to make up for the clock not stopping anymore?

For cut scenes I could see it making sense to freeze time and just show everyone the scene (or does everyone see it already? I haven’t played multiplayer yet)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boonoo posted:

No, it doesn’t sound like it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boonoo posted:

For cut scenes I could see it making sense to freeze time and just show everyone the scene (or does everyone see it already? I haven’t played multiplayer yet)

Everyone gets their own cutscene. You can be playing while someone else watches the cutscene.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some cutscenes will teleport every player into the cutscene, including abruptly out of whatever they might be doing, like digging through the mines or whatever else.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Some cutscenes will teleport every player into the cutscene, including abruptly out of whatever they might be doing, like digging through the mines or whatever else.

No cutscene has done this so far. Which ones are you talking about?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Boonoo posted:

No but the extra gain of efficient labor you get from multiple players makes up for it, IMO. Being able to have someone go mine to their heart's content and gathering ore while you single mindedly focus on pulling together money from farming means you can pretty quickly automate a lot of farming as early as the end of spring with a bunch of quality sprinklers, by which point some of the most tedious time sinks are gone and you can ease into deciding where you guys want to progress, ie better tools, house upgrades, new buildings, etc etc.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Captain Monkey posted:

No cutscene has done this so far. Which ones are you talking about?

the one where Morris walks into Pierre's to announce his sales, for example

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Poil posted:

Can you put them in the pot for the luau?

Yes, but in the new update you get a special cutscene if you do this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Yes, but in the new update you get a special cutscene if you do this.

:getin:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Psion posted:

the one where Morris walks into Pierre's to announce his sales, for example

The community center intro cutscene does it too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hope if there is a stardew valley 2 he takes it a step further and instead of just tossing poo poo into a bin to sell it you can set up a store front or go to a farmer's market or something

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Stardew Valley 2: Capitalism, ho!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hope if there is a stardew valley 2 he takes it a step further and instead of just tossing poo poo into a bin to sell it you can set up a store front or go to a farmer's market or something

I don’t know... Stardew Valley is a game that need to be very careful with feature creep. A lot of it’s charm is the chill nature.

If anything it wants more things to throw money at like building Pam her own real estate empire which the upcoming patch is including.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing that I probably would have liked is if the community center was less based on random arbitrary stuff and more based on accomplishing various "personal quests" of the various characters, even if those goals end up basically being the same. Like repairing the bus, giving Penny books, giving the Wizard some sweet drugs, having Robin build Pam a house, etc. It makes you less like some savior and more just a really influential person in these people's lives, which, as I'm typing this, makes me think it's a Persona game or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Can you build any buildings other than Pam's new house?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think so. But what else would there, realistically, be to build? A skateboard park for Sam at the quarry perhaps.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Poil posted:

I don't think so. But what else would there, realistically, be to build? A skateboard park for Sam at the quarry perhaps.

Off the top of my head. A school for Penny, gun range for Kent, a personality for Clint.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Oh and a tanning salon for Mr Qi.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

More minecarts
A fortress for the Dwarf
A Houseboat for the mer people
A computer room so Clint can post his incel rants
A bed and breakfast so characters from chucklefish's other lovely games can make cameos

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I get that you make up for the lack of pause with sheer efficiency in multiplayer, but it definitely changes the feel of the game to a significant degree where you feel like you have to constantly be "on" and have to hammer your way through dialogue and not stay in any place for too long. I don't really know what the fix is to this since just having pausing as it is in single player ported over to MP would feel super janky, but maybe just a toggle for longer days or something? Or like the timer speed changes based on what people are doing, where when everyone is outdoors it ticks at normal speed, but a player doing anything that would normally pause the timer slows it down a bit.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Clint's not an incel, he clearly understands his lack of confidence is why he can't score with Emily. What he needs is a therapist to move in. Bonus is that this'd also help several other folks with major issues work to resolve 'em.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

I get that you make up for the lack of pause with sheer efficiency in multiplayer, but it definitely changes the feel of the game to a significant degree where you feel like you have to constantly be "on" and have to hammer your way through dialogue and not stay in any place for too long. I don't really know what the fix is to this since just having pausing as it is in single player ported over to MP would feel super janky, but maybe just a toggle for longer days or something? Or like the timer speed changes based on what people are doing, where when everyone is outdoors it ticks at normal speed, but a player doing anything that would normally pause the timer slows it down a bit.

just play and it fixes itself, imo. early game is always kinda hectic even with pause, just ask someone else to help you water poo poo or plant poo poo if you need it back on the farm and that's really the only time sensitive thing early game. hell, see if cutscenes keep playing if the host does a /pause if you get a cutscene late in the day and you're worried you might pass out. even then, the money lost is kinda negligible with the amount of parsnips you get early.

late fall and I'm spending a lot of days just trying to burn some time after I check my crops when other people are buckling down hard to finish their fishing or mining or just use all their energy each day.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I got my first try at multiplayer yesterday and I've got the exact opposite experience. I always ran into problems playing the game single player because if you don't play as efficiently as possible and miss out on something, you've got to wait a year for the opportunity to come back around, which can take a long rear end time if you're trying to do more than manage the farm each day. Playing multiplayer it seemed super stressful for the first couple weeks but once you get a good flow going on with whoever you're playing with you cut the number of jobs you have to take care of down and their priority to do ASAP falls of the cliff. For example if I wouldn't get at least 5 levels down on a progression run of the mines I'd be annoyed and feel I was falling behind. On multiplayer if I just skipped going to the mines a day or two because of time spent in cutscenes or reading dailog instead of going to the mines, who cares? It's so easy to make up progress as a pair or more that it just doesn't matter.

nessin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 6, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i haven't gotten anyone to play a mp game with me yet but i simply can't imagine it's that much harder simply because you have people getting poo poo done whenever you're not. i'm one of the most irredeemable min-maxers in this thread and the ability to just grab my sword and pick and head to the mines first thing in the morning, trusting that someone else will water, harvest, etc sounds well worth any delays they might experience in lost time talking to pierre.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah i haven't gotten anyone to play a mp game with me yet but i simply can't imagine it's that much harder simply because you have people getting poo poo done whenever you're not. i'm one of the most irredeemable min-maxers in this thread and the ability to just grab my sword and pick and head to the mines first thing in the morning, trusting that someone else will water, harvest, etc sounds well worth any delays they might experience in lost time talking to pierre.

It's actually way way easier. To use one example, a streamer I follow has been playing it with two others and they're just getting to the end of the first summer. They've got most of the farm cleared, two giant farm plots that would be impossible to manage before your second year, enough sprinklers that they can water it all automatically, cleared the mines, and have done just about everything not time-gated on the Community Center (I think they haven't bought the 25g vault upgrade yet). Also because they split up work they've got a few level 10 skills already between them. It's not so much that multiplayer is "slightly harder" and more of "insanely easy" by comparison.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I like the idea of brainstorming other buildings.

Someone mentioned something like a psychologist...but I'm thinking they expose Harvey for over-prescribing or get to the core of how hosed up stv is with only amateur mental health support. I like the idea of a school for penny, maybe next to the pre-existing and depressingly unused equipment west of the comm center.

Maybe houses for the young adults so their stories can evolve.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 7, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Fishing is nerfed real hard in this new mode with the lack of pause while catching. Getting the full center first year while maintaining your billions is harder because of it, and I wish it was like this all along.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

good gently caress fishing

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Coolguye posted:

good gently caress fishing

:yeah:

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Just had a co-op file disappear. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jejoma posted:

Just had a co-op file disappear. Neat.

Should probably report it since this is a Beta.