Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

[quote="“bushisms.txt”" post="“483840296”"]
It’s actually the opposite. While Galaxy has an open lobby for you to choose your levels from, it’s simply a point to point obstacle course you can’t deviate from. 3d world takes this and flattens the planetoids allowing up to 4 players to roam in a similar but still ultimately linear manner.

Odyssey goes back to sunshine and 64 era formula where the point to point is more the carrot on the stick to get you to traverse and discover the world itself.

From Nintendo:

Miyamato said that the Galaxy line was to expand to casuals, while 64, Sunshine and Odyssey are for the “core.”
[/quote]

This is weird because I prefer the top line usually except Odyssey which I think is easily the best 3d Mario and maybe even my favorite Mario ever

I think odyssey did a good job of not being totally aimless until much later when you have like 700 moons and end up butt stomping random spots or whatever just in case

Sunshine felt aimless very quickly which was always my issue it turns out I have gaming ADD and require hundreds of moons to keep my interest

Mario 3d world was really good but suffers from the thing a lot of the multiplayer focused Nintendo games do (New Super mario, the new Kirby) they feel more made for letting 4 people run around the same map so playing alone feels too empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like having a point to point obstacle course, personally. Yeah you can explore the levels, but you're not gonna find anything but more coins or moons. It just feels like tedious busywork, like going around a town in an rpg and talking to everyone to make sure you don't miss anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t understand what he means by casual vs core? What’s the distinction? They are all super manageable difficulty-wise until you get around to post game stuff, of which 3D land has by far the hardest content imo, so I don’t know why that game is targeting casual gamers whereas odyssey isn’t and it’s hardest stuff isn’t nearly as crazy as 3D land. I can’t speak for World but I’d imagine it’s similar.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jizz Festival posted:

I like having a point to point obstacle course, personally. Yeah you can explore the levels, but you're not gonna find anything but more coins or moons. It just feels like tedious busywork, like going around a town in an rpg and talking to everyone to make sure you don't miss anything.

I really liked discovering bits of scenery and level design as much as finding the moons. Like the fizzy water in the seaside kingdom was really cool to me but wouldn't have had nearly the effect it hadn't been a big lazy bay.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think where odyssey works is when you stumble across some challenge, like "ok I need to get a goomba there somehow" and then you have to figure it out and the exploration becomes more fun because you have a goal.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
World sucks because they made it for casual multiplayer but kept the stupid timer so you can't actually play it with people who are bad at video games. We either fail the level, which is not fun, or they are just being bubbled along the whole way, which is even less fun.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is weird because I prefer the top line usually except Odyssey which I think is easily the best 3d Mario and maybe even my favorite Mario ever

I think odyssey did a good job of not being totally aimless until much later when you have like 700 moons and end up butt stomping random spots or whatever just in case

Sunshine felt aimless very quickly which was always my issue it turns out I have gaming ADD and require hundreds of moons to keep my interest

Mario 3d world was really good but suffers from the thing a lot of the multiplayer focused Nintendo games do (New Super mario, the new Kirby) they feel more made for letting 4 people run around the same map so playing alone feels too empty

Kirby's problem is more that it doesnt really have a clear idea about what it wants to be. Playing single player with computer allies makes the puzzles practically irrelevant because the computers just automatically do it for you half the time... but at the same time the puzzles are stupidly easy anyway, so its not like youd be sitting there forever trying to figure it out anyway. All the powers you need are right there, you dont need to worry about carrying a power thtough the stage because the tools are always close at hand. Playing single player with no allies except when you need them for puzzles gets tedious, and isnt much harder anyway. Multiplayer quickly turns into a chaotic mess where its hard to really tell whats going on. You have all these awesome, robust movesets thats are loads of fun to mess around with, but nothing compelling to use them on. Guest Star Allies is unironically better than the story mode.

Meh. Kirby Star Allies is a weird game because there are some aspects of it that are really great (all those movesets, dang), but the level design is super unfocused and lets you get by with like anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The crown in 3D world is one of the best video game mechanics ever created

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Have I missed any must-try games since Mario Odyssey that aren't Wii U ports? Nintendo bamboozled me again; haven't touched my Switch since 100%ing Odyssey.

(That's not entirely true -- I did try the Galmetal demo, and was sorely disappointed.)

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

enojy posted:

Have I missed any must-try games since Mario Odyssey that aren't Wii U ports? Nintendo bamboozled me again; haven't touched my Switch since 100%ing Odyssey.

(That's not entirely true -- I did try the Galmetal demo, and was sorely disappointed.)

Celeste?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE loving MOON posted:

Kirby's problem is more that it doesnt really have a clear idea about what it wants to be. Playing single player with computer allies makes the puzzles practically irrelevant because the computers just automatically do it for you half the time... but at the same time the puzzles are stupidly easy anyway, so its not like youd be sitting there forever trying to figure it out anyway. All the powers you need are right there, you dont need to worry about carrying a power thtough the stage because the tools are always close at hand. Playing single player with no allies except when you need them for puzzles gets tedious, and isnt much harder anyway. Multiplayer quickly turns into a chaotic mess where its hard to really tell whats going on. You have all these awesome, robust movesets thats are loads of fun to mess around with, but nothing compelling to use them on. Guest Star Allies is unironically better than the story mode.

Meh. Kirby Star Allies is a weird game because there are some aspects of it that are really great (all those movesets, dang), but the level design is super unfocused and lets you get by with like anything.

It was good as a wife coop game but robobot was mucho betta as a single player. And metaknight rush mode was cool

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

It was good as a wife coop game but robobot was mucho betta as a single player. And metaknight rush mode was cool

The multiplayer was fun for me in small doses, but theres not enough challenge there for anyone who isnt like... completely uninitiated to platformers. I guess that describes plent of people but :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boratishly: my wife

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Modus Pwnens posted:

World sucks because they made it for casual multiplayer but kept the stupid timer so you can't actually play it with people who are bad at video games. We either fail the level, which is not fun, or they are just being bubbled along the whole way, which is even less fun.

Isn't the timer greatly increased during multiplayer sessions? I think it was either 3D World or one of the NSMB games that did this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There are like two levels (besides the speed ones where the timer is the point) where the timer actually poses a problem even with very casual players. You're more likely to just straight-up die than run into the timer.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Been going back to Golf Story (if thread remembers when I posted that ten game list from my backlog a few days ago, that was the game that won) and I've been enjoying it so much. I'm not sure why I stopped playing it the first time? I may have gotten it around the same time as Stardew though and Stardew won my attention. Anyway, my hot take is that Golf Story good.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sorry to double post, but this is different enough from my other post that I didn't want to edit it in. I see Violett is 70% off in the eShop right now, putting it at $3. I have heard nothing about this game; is it good, is it bad? Can you even go wrong at $3? (Saying "no" to that is why I have such a backlog of games I've barely played.)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

There are like two levels (besides the speed ones where the timer is the point) where the timer actually poses a problem even with very casual players. You're more likely to just straight-up die than run into the timer.

Why even have it then?

(Also this was like the first three stages before we just gave up)

I'd give it another try single player some day.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I normally don't enjoy 3D Zelda games no matter how hard I try, yet loved Breath of the Wild. For Odessey though, I just find the number of moons both frustrating and overwhelming. Almost all the possible moons to 'finish' the game felt trivial, but now that the game has opened up, I end up finding 10 moons in a world, getting bored, then switching to another world, then just turning the game off feeling like I have barely progressed. I wish there was more point to point stuff, then again the Switch already has a killer list of sidescrollers so I guess it isn't that big of a deal :shrug:

Multiplayer 3D World is the most fun I've had playing a Mario game. It's just pure chaotic joy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Point to point levels are your reward for unlocking the final world

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

cheetah7071 posted:

The crown in 3D world is one of the best video game mechanics ever created

Agreed. It almost made me wish they could do another good Four Swords Adventures.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are they working on the new Zelda already do you think

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
With any other developer the answer would be a no brainer, but its pretty hard to say what Nintendo are doing at any given point.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Calaveron posted:

Are they working on the new Zelda already do you think

Yes but we’re not going to hear about it for a good while.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Modus Pwnens posted:

Why even have it then?

The actual answer to this, if you want to get to the systemic root of the issue, is most likely that it's a holdover from the old days of arcade games where getting people to play quickly, die a lot, and keep pumping in quarters was crucial to the business. I absolutely hate any sort of timer based thing in modern games (although as said, usually Mario's is a non issue unless you're hugely dawdling) - I'd much rather be racing against some sort of NPC that will kill me if I'm too slow or outrunning a closing in zone or something, it achieves the same effect but it feels less lazy/tedious than just a straight up clock.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dugong posted:

I normally don't enjoy 3D Zelda games no matter how hard I try, yet loved Breath of the Wild. For Odessey though, I just find the number of moons both frustrating and overwhelming. Almost all the possible moons to 'finish' the game felt trivial, but now that the game has opened up, I end up finding 10 moons in a world, getting bored, then switching to another world, then just turning the game off feeling like I have barely progressed. I wish there was more point to point stuff, then again the Switch already has a killer list of sidescrollers so I guess it isn't that big of a deal :shrug:

Multiplayer 3D World is the most fun I've had playing a Mario game. It's just pure chaotic joy.

I can see how that would be a downer for some but the same feeling in Odyssey is something I like because every so often I'll open it up and play for a bit, get a few moons, then put it down. I still have hundreds to find and so it continues to feel fresh to me and it's nice to enjoy in little bits.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caldrax posted:

I absolutely hate any sort of timer based thing in modern games (although as said, usually Mario's is a non issue unless you're hugely dawdling) - I'd much rather be racing against some sort of NPC that will kill me if I'm too slow or outrunning a closing in zone or something, it achieves the same effect but it feels less lazy/tedious than just a straight up clock.

The only games I can really think of right offhand with a prominent timer are the early Dead Rising games, and I totally love those games because of the timer. In fact, the games have turned to poo poo since they got rid of the timer to appeal to... who? People that don't even like the franchise to begin with.

A well-integrated timer can install a good sense of urgency, and the thing about the Dead Rising series is that even with the timer you can still just gently caress off and "lose" the story and play it your own way, only to restart with a leveled-up character to try again. Maybe that's the answer, integrate the timer into the game but don't beat the player over the head with any major punishment for ignoring it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want Mario Maker DX for Switch

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

King Vidiot posted:

The only games I can really think of right offhand with a prominent timer are the early Dead Rising games, and I totally love those games because of the timer. In fact, the games have turned to poo poo since they got rid of the timer to appeal to... who? People that don't even like the franchise to begin with.

A well-integrated timer can install a good sense of urgency, and the thing about the Dead Rising series is that even with the timer you can still just gently caress off and "lose" the story and play it your own way, only to restart with a leveled-up character to try again. Maybe that's the answer, integrate the timer into the game but don't beat the player over the head with any major punishment for ignoring it.

Yeah timers rule. I miss Dead Rising.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

bowmore posted:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you were pretty meh about pinball fx3, check it out again. That update they put out really fixed it up in portable. I even got the portal table.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Yes but we’re not going to hear about it for a good while.

2d Zelda should hit by next year. Expect multiplayer.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

bowmore posted:

gently caress yeah.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just cleaned and found my Wii U, and realized that I have minish Cap and Zero mission downloaded to it. Tempted to buy Fusion and both advanced wars (all three are $7.99each) so at least I have them... but man, I just want all of them on the switch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Speaking of Wii U VC, I've been thinking of getting Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. How is that?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Finally beat the base Shovel Knight campaign, what dlc do people recommend doing next? Plague or Spectre?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dad Jokes posted:

Finally beat the base Shovel Knight campaign, what dlc do people recommend doing next? Plague or Spectre?

Plague is my fav but spectre is probably flashier and more different than shovel so mix it up if you want

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Dad Jokes posted:

Do Plague Knight, but understand that I'm saying this because Spectre Knight is much better.

I'm not one of the people who dislike Plague Knight either, Spectre Knight is just very good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I didnt like it as much as either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

Why even have it then?

(Also this was like the first three stages before we just gave up)

I'd give it another try single player some day.

I mean it's not a good choice I just don't think it's worth losing sleep over.

• Locked thread