Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Metric distances and weights work because of fractions. It doesn't matter if the temperature is 58.7F or 14.83C. There's no math to make easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Something awful is just mile after mile kilometer after kilometer of the stupidest hills to die on.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Let’s have a temperature system where 0 is the point at which water freezes and 10 is human body temperature and you add descriptive adjectives before the number

It was like a solid breezy 7 here today, I think

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This image is one of those things where a legitimate point is undermined by disingenuous bullshit because no one and I mean no one talks about yards in a mile. Ever.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

This image is one of those things where a legitimate point is undermined by disingenuous bullshit because no one and I mean no one talks about yards in a mile. Ever.

Ah right, you merely convert straight from feet into miles, a simple ratio of 5280 to 1. So much easier.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ah right, you merely convert straight from feet into miles, a simple ratio of 5280 to 1. So much easier.

Nah, we just divide miles until we get to 500 feet and use them from there. No one talks in "yards" unless a football field or shooting range are involved. It's a beautifully simple system.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the planck temperature is the most logical, and therefore best, temperature scale

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

See, once again this chart for some reason decides that the freezing point of water is a better or more logical place to start a temperature scale. Guess what, it's not. Fahrenheit covers the temperatures experiecned by humans at 1 to 100. Celsisu does it at like -15 to 40. Fahrenheit is the more logical system. Period

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Bloop posted:

American cartographers love using the 63360:1 scale because it meant you could measure an inch on the map and it would be a mile in the world. Inches to miles. The most recent map I saw this on was from 2012.

Inches to miles.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Imperial units are objectively dumb but, in the UK, you buy petrol in litres but measure fuel economy in miles per gallon...

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Lol this stuff sure is funny!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

Imperial units are objectively dumb but, in the UK, you buy petrol in litres but measure fuel economy in miles per gallon...

Imperial units for distance or weight, sure. Makes converting from one unit to another super easy. But people dont go around converting temperature.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd also like to point out that the American dating system is better. How would you say the date aloud? That's right, you'd say May sixth, 2018. 5/6/2018. month/day/year. Only weirdos would say "The sixth of May, 2018".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booger Presley posted:

Lol this stuff sure is funny!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

See, once again this chart for some reason decides that the freezing point of water is a better or more logical place to start a temperature scale. Guess what, it's not. Fahrenheit covers the temperatures experiecned by humans at 1 to 100. Celsisu does it at like -15 to 40. Fahrenheit is the more logical system. Period

Except... when you pick an arbitrary point in your system for calibration purposes, you pick something that is readily available and repeatable by anyone in the world, without any expensive equipment or chemicals. Such as the freezing point of the worlds most common liquid compared with said liquids boiling point. Rather than say, picking an arbitrary point based on the freezing point of a mixture of various salts, some of which may not be available, compared to the boiling point of a separate, unrelated liquid.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Except... when you pick an arbitrary point in your system for calibration purposes, you pick something that is readily available and repeatable by anyone in the world, without any expensive equipment or chemicals. Such as the freezing point of the worlds most common liquid compared with said liquids boiling point. Rather than say, picking an arbitrary point based on the freezing point of a mixture of various salts, some of which may not be available, compared to the boiling point of a separate, unrelated liquid.

Sure do, For C the freezing point of water is 0. For F it's -32.

Both systems are arbitrary.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: nevermind

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CainFortea posted:

Sure do, For C the freezing point of water is 0. For F it's -32.

no it's not

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd also like to point out that the American dating system is better. How would you say the date aloud?

18 Floréal de l'An 226

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento posted:

no it's not

His point still stands. I gotta respect Drone_fragger for bringing out "if society ended and the rag-clad survivors living in the ruins of our once-great cities need to be able to independently start measuring temperatures using a scale that would sync up with everybody elses once international communication was restored, it would be easier to do it in Celsius" as a genuine argument that Celsius is better. But he forgot that Fahrenheit can also measure the freezing and boiling point of water. Albeit with slightly harder to remember numbers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Quote is not edit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse posted:

Blindfire is not allowed.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

:hai:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd also like to point out that the American dating system is better. How would you say the date aloud? That's right, you'd say May sixth, 2018. 5/6/2018. month/day/year. Only weirdos would say "The sixth of May, 2018".

You realize every language that's not English does it the other way around, right?

I will concede this point: it's not America that is dumb and illogical with dates, it's the English language.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Deltasquid posted:

You realize every language that's not English does it the other way around, right?

I will concede this point: it's not America that is dumb and illogical with dates, it's the English language.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

*checks list*

-bad food
-bad teeth
-bad religion
-bad measurement units
-bad language

Is there anything the Anglo culture got right besides pop music and colonization?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deltasquid posted:

I don't think you'll get any argument from anyone here.

Anyway, pictures that are arguably funny.

https://i.imgur.com/DQpyTfk.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I submit that it's not empirically easier to calculate your way through "logical smooth sailing" conversions by thinking up the proper number of power-of-10 places to move the decimal point over, versus making a series of extremely different conversions between extremely different units.

Metric makes it really drat easy to make an order-of-magnitude error because the digits look "right" but the number of tens you calculated was wrong because you made a fucky wucky with your millis and your kilos and your cubic decis somewhere along the line.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Guy Goodbody posted:

His point still stands. I gotta respect Drone_fragger for bringing out "if society ended and the rag-clad survivors living in the ruins of our once-great cities need to be able to independently start measuring temperatures using a scale that would sync up with everybody elses once international communication was restored, it would be easier to do it in Celsius" as a genuine argument that Celsius is better. But he forgot that Fahrenheit can also measure the freezing and boiling point of water. Albeit with slightly harder to remember numbers.

That’s what’s so good about my system

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also dividing lengths into twelves is mathematically beautiful, and so is dividing liquid by powers of 2

Instead of 10 which is based on nothing in nature except the fact that we happen to have five fingers on our hands :iiam:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://i.imgur.com/Ia9nBYq.mp4

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

gently caress, you guys are the worst.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
...2 Lanes Wide/
65 Tons of American Pride/
Canyonero

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

why would you say may the seventh lmao

oh the date? well its twenty eighteen, may, the seventh

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

gbut posted:

gently caress, you guys are the worst.

They failed the whole thing by not making the emblem read "Jeeeep" though.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

even tom cruise says it the right way around and hes american, a nutter, and crazy as gently caress

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

That’s not even how you say it, you loving nerd.
It’s “Sunday, the sixth day of May in the year of our Lord two thousand and 18” and anyone who doesn’t write that as “6 May 2018” can go drown in a river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerozerozero
Sep 7, 2017
Americans are really good at everything because they're always telling you that they are so you know it's true.