Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, plenty of people wear black in the desert, but it’s a loose outer layer, not right up to your skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wouldn't it make sense to have a darker layer underneath a white-or-at-least-lighter one? I don't really know desert stuff.

From the way fremen keep ambushing people, we can deduce their outside clothing is mostly desert-colored.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MC Hawking posted:

Again, I wonder why the ever loving hell Stillsuits are black on the outside. It's a frickin desert planet people, black absorbs heat and you want to be dumping or reflecting as much heat as possible.

So far in the book they haven't specified a color, so I blame the movie(s). In my minds eye everyone is wrapped in linen like T.E. Lawrence.

Black stillsuits bug me, but that's partly because I saw the SciFi Channel adaptation first, where they're ... more sand colored, I think. Beigey.

Of course, later, I saw an even better Dune-like film, and got a different mental image:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Vavrek posted:

Black stillsuits bug me, but that's partly because I saw the SciFi Channel adaptation first, where they're ... more sand colored, I think. Beigey.

Of course, later, I saw an even better Dune-like film, and got a different mental image:

Lawrence of Arabia might actually be an even better Dune film than Lynch’s one.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Arabs, in the deep desert, wore black. This made them hotter, as the cloth absorbed so much light, but that same absorption also protected their skin from sunburns

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

paul_soccer10 posted:

In the movie when they first get to dune Paul eats a jumbo rolling paper worth of spice that must have been like 100 billion dollars worth

Hell yeah Muad'dib can party

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Babbies first spice lozenge has gotta be like the first time you get really really high on lsd laced weed.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
I saw the "Dune" movie about 2 months ago (had seen it maybe once before all the way through) and it got me thinking about the book recently and the concept of the Mentat. So I'm back to reading it and I feel like I'm getting a lot more things out of it, or perhaps just different things, than when I read the book only about 40% of the way through 15+ years ago. What a crazy rear end universe Herbert was imagining in the 1960s. Either he just gushes creativity like a fire hose or he must have spent a long time creating this storyline. Really glad I picked this book back up again and saw this thread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

From reading some of his other books, he seemed like a pretty creative fella. Whipping Star has a lot going on in it.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Question for you or anyone really: is it just AI-like tech that has been outlawed in the Dune universe? Does 'Dune' go more into the Butlerian Jihad as the book goes on or does that backstory come in during later books?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

MarksMan posted:

Question for you or anyone really: is it just AI-like tech that has been outlawed in the Dune universe? Does 'Dune' go more into the Butlerian Jihad as the book goes on or does that backstory come in during later books?

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind," like all Catholic commandments, is open to a lot of interpretation by different actors with different motivations.

Either that or it's about the space Terminator.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Arabs, in the deep desert, wore black. This made them hotter, as the cloth absorbed so much light, but that same absorption also protected their skin from sunburns

I always heard that the loose robes with a high surface temperature encouraged air movement. UV light tends to not give a poo poo about the visible properties of a material, though it may have been a twofer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

moller posted:

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind," like all Catholic commandments, is open to a lot of interpretation by different actors with different motivations.

Either that or it's about the space Terminator.

Herbert left it ambiguous because he wasn't worried about a single specific thing but rather than entire pattern of though. Like Leto says in God-Emperor, it's not machines but "machine thinking" and "machine culture." Prescience is another reflection of how Herbert saw "machine thinking" taking over everything.

Because Brian Herbert has the brain of a ten-year-old, we have to deal with the prequel novels.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MarksMan posted:

I saw the "Dune" movie about 2 months ago (had seen it maybe once before all the way through) and it got me thinking about the book recently and the concept of the Mentat. So I'm back to reading it and I feel like I'm getting a lot more things out of it, or perhaps just different things, than when I read the book only about 40% of the way through 15+ years ago. What a crazy rear end universe Herbert was imagining in the 1960s. Either he just gushes creativity like a fire hose or he must have spent a long time creating this storyline. Really glad I picked this book back up again and saw this thread

He was, in fact, creative as gently caress but he also did multiple years (4 or 5, I think) of research before the first Dune was finished. You're right; he did a metric gently caress ton of thinking about how the world was, why it was that way, and how it got that way in the first place.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like imagine how much the contents of this box must be worth

maybe its spice jerky or something and not pure spice but still

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Imagine the threads in TCC if Spice melange was real :2bong:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"I cant afford a maintenance dose of melange or a ride to arrakis so this looks like the end fellas."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mod response: "My fremen have you tried sappho juice?"

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

"I cant afford a maintenance dose of melange or a ride to arrakis so this looks like the end fellas."

:lol:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

paul_soccer10 posted:

like imagine how much the contents of this box must be worth

maybe its spice jerky or something and not pure spice but still

If memory serves it was generally mixed with other stuff. Unless you were a late stage Navigator you didn't take that poo poo raw.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the book when the baron captures thufir hawat he poisons him and keeps him dependant on the antidote

In the david lynch movie the same thing happens but also thufir has to milk a cat for the antidote lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:catdrugs:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It was one of those hosed up looking hairless cats too iirc :lol:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whenever Paul tells that one fremen to punch the obelisk the guy throws a punch thst looks like it really would hurt his hand

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

It was one of those hosed up looking hairless cats too iirc :lol:

It also had a rat taped to the side of it for some reason lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
movie kicks so much rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^^^ lmao it’s even better than I remember

paul_soccer10 posted:

I love David Lynch, bless him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am seriously majorly upset by the idea of heart plugs and the visuals provided therein by the movie

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this fremen is a real comedian

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I am seriously majorly upset by the idea of heart plugs and the visuals provided therein by the movie

That part where the baron pulls the plug on the slave dude was the most disturbing part of the movie for me when I saw that as a lad.

Then goes under the black shower thing yeeeesh

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the fingers thing means taxes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

priznat posted:

That part where the baron pulls the plug on the slave dude was the most disturbing part of the movie for me when I saw that as a lad.

Then goes under the black shower thing yeeeesh

The heart plugs weren't even in the books but influenced other Dune media. They're referenced in Dune 2000 at least. They don't even feel out of place if you've read the books; the Harkonnen are just that terrible.

But yeah in the book the Baron mostly used peoples' vices against them. When Leto tries to assassinate him and he lives his current captain of the guard bites it. So shortly thereafter he promotes a more or less random dude to captain of the guard because he knows he has a serious addiction. He used poison against Hawat because he was, you know, Thufir Freaking Hawat.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sex with a mentat: not too unlike what I most desire irl

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

paul_soccer10 posted:

paul_soccer10 posted:

loving lol.

Also, agreed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer10 posted:

I've been watching some Twin Peaks and I have to say I think this David Lynch fellow might be a weirdo

priznat posted:

I love David Lynch, bless him.

YES I'LL HAVE SOME COFFEE, THANK YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spinster posted:

Sex with a mentat: not too unlike what I most desire irl

So you like autists then?

*sprays seltzer into mouth and adjusts jacket*

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

someone please lance the baron's freakin' boils