Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Guy Goodbody posted:

The new Blood Angels shoulderpads make the old batwing ones look pretty bad

I disagree, and it's the same with the Ultras upgrades. On the old sprues each pad was unique and interesting, now they just give you five identical plain ones and one variant for a sergeant. They don't even give you enough for a 10 man squad any more. And they used to give you cool fluffy torsos and heads, now it's just one head with a logo slapped on the forehead and two terrible bare heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I disagree, and it's the same with the Ultras upgrades. On the old sprues each pad was unique and interesting, now they just give you five identical plain ones and one variant for a sergeant. They don't even give you enough for a 10 man squad any more. And they used to give you cool fluffy torsos and heads, now it's just one head with a logo slapped on the forehead and two terrible bare heads.

oh yeah, I agree with that. I just specifically meant the Blood Angel symbol. Why do the old ones have bat wings? Is that a thing in older fluff?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are they bat wings or just poorly sculpted eagle wings?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Bat and angel wings show up in more or less equal measure in Blood Angels iconography. The bat stuff goes along with the whole vampirism deal and I would think the presence of angelic imagery would be pretty self explanatory.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone. So thanks to my girlfriend who plays Chaos Demons I decided to take the plunge into 40K 8th edition. I use to play space Marine back in middle school. I actually think I still have the models and a core book somewhere.

Anyway, I decided that I wanna play Craftworld Eldar because the idea of playing any of the Imperium armies sounds boring. I was hoping someone could recommend a good resource for how the Eldar play and what models and units I should be buying to start building an army. Anything that is a good "Eldar 101" Resource for the most currant meta (If the idea of a Meta is a thing)

People mentioned subforums of either bolter and chainsword or dakka as being worthwhile tactically speaking if a bit crap beyond that, fortunately eldar are as ever one of the best armies so you've got a lot of freedom to vary how harsh you are depending on the type of crowd you're playing with.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Soldier o Fortune posted:

This sounds amazingly awesomely awful. Was he in any way aware of his creepiness?

Not even remotely. When I didn't respond or laugh to his jokes he just kept repeating them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Floppychop posted:

Not even remotely. When I didn't respond or laugh to his jokes he just kept repeating them.

:v:: Don't you get it? It's because my guys have tentacles and your army has women in it.

I don't know how I would have reacted in your place, but ... it sounds like a horrible experience.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone. So thanks to my girlfriend who plays Chaos Demons I decided to take the plunge into 40K 8th edition. I use to play space Marine back in middle school. I actually think I still have the models and a core book somewhere.

Anyway, I decided that I wanna play Craftworld Eldar because the idea of playing any of the Imperium armies sounds boring. I was hoping someone could recommend a good resource for how the Eldar play and what models and units I should be buying to start building an army. Anything that is a good "Eldar 101" Resource for the most currant meta (If the idea of a Meta is a thing)

Use the 1d4chan tactics list here. They're usually pretty solid about meta and what is and is not a good build as long as you can ignore all the dumb meme poo poo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

dexefiend posted:

:v:: Don't you get it? It's because my guys have tentacles and your army has women in it.

I don't know how I would have reacted in your place, but ... it sounds like a horrible experience.

He said that, almost word for word.

It was basically "I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going" over and over. Then that after I didn't respond to the the previous statement.

Thankfully I clowned on him hard enough that he conceded turn 2 so I didn't have to suffer through it longer than that.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 7, 2018

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Finally finished painting up a unit of Allarus Custodians, first of my Custodes units to get finished. Next on the table are 9 Custodian Guard.

I should probably get a proper white backdrop and better lighting or something for these guys sometime.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If you have nothing else on hand the back cover of a codex makes a decent backdrop.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here painted up the new Eisenhorn mini yet? I’m looking for some inspiration

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Finally finished painting up a unit of Allarus Custodians, first of my Custodes units to get finished. Next on the table are 9 Custodian Guard.

I should probably get a proper white backdrop and better lighting or something for these guys sometime.

I hate custodes for what they did to 30k, but drat son these are really nice! That blue works perfectly with the gold

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mr. Funktastic posted:

These look great. I have a bunch of these base coated and mocking me, sitting on my table.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I don't like Custodes, and I really don't like Gold Custodes, but yours are excellent.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Thanks! I wanted to do something different than the usual red and I think it turned out very well. I went with a darker, bronze-like gold because the usual Custodes gold is way too bright and yellow for my taste and doesn't go nearly as well with the blue.

For those that are curious, the blue is Kantor Blue and the gold is base Balthasar Gold, shaded with a 50-50 mix of Reikland Fleshshade and Druchii Violet, and dry brushed with Golden Griffon.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

S.J. posted:

Dark blue? But I wonder if it would distract too much.

You were the closest to what I ended up with:

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 7, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Floppychop posted:

Played a match today where my opponent had super cheesecake 3rd party stand-ins for his noise marines and made constant tentacle rape jokes regarding his chaos spawn and my Sisters of Battle.

Hams really are the worst.

You'd have to deprogram years of Internet Shitheel culture before you even begin positive education sufficient to explain why he should stfu with that. All of that can be bypassed by a simple punch to the throat, or giving him a solid :colbert: staredown, though.

Floppychop posted:

Thankfully I clowned on him hard enough that he conceded turn 2 so I didn't have to suffer through it longer than that.

This was the best answer.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

They don't even give you enough for a 10 man squad any more.

bahahaha i didn't believe u cause even gw wouldnt rip u off on an already overpriced shoulder pad kit but then i looked at the pic and lol never change gw

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm likely never going to play AdMech, but drat if I don't love a well-painted Kastelan robot, Mars especially, with a green glass panel on the head. Might just buy a box and paint em one day just to admire

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Badablack posted:

If you have nothing else on hand the back cover of a codex makes a decent backdrop.

What even are these?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shockeh posted:

What even are these?!

Looks like Solar Auxilia, the 30k version of the Imperial Guard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

You were the closest to what I ended up with:

That's really good. My idea definitely would have messed up the palette.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm likely never going to play AdMech, but drat if I don't love a well-painted Kastelan robot, Mars especially, with a green glass panel on the head. Might just buy a box and paint em one day just to admire

Do you have an example picture of a Kastelan that doesn't look awful? I've avoided Kastelans for my Admech army because their official art looks so goddamned goofy. I get a massive Baymax vibes from these guys and it makes me absolutely hate them.

Ugh.

That being said, does anyone have a suggestions on a 1k point Admech armies I could try with 2xStart Collecting, 1xForgebane, and Cawl? I've been assembling/painting away, but still have never actually played 40k. I've got a friend whose champing at the bit for some casual 1k matches (he's also new to 40k), but I don't know enough of proper army comp to build something decent with what I have.
I have some basic ideas (Mars: 1x5-man Skitarii Ranger w/ snipers, 3x5-man Skitariii Vanguard w/ Plasma Cavalier, Cawl, and toss in Dunecrawler(s) w/Neutron to fill), but I'd love to see different lists you guys would recommend to try out (including other Forgeworlds, Warlord picks, and whatnot).

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Looks like Solar Auxilia, the 30k version of the Imperial Guard.

Yeah, specifically their command squad and commander. Except instead of the usual flamers and meltagun s they come with a giant adding machine, a radar dish, and a megascope.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Duct Tape posted:

Do you have an example picture of a Kastelan that doesn't look awful? I've avoided Kastelans for my Admech army because their official art looks so goddamned goofy. I get a massive Baymax vibes from these guys and it makes me absolutely hate them.

I dislike them too and am either going to use Castellax to replace them (because lol Fires of Cyraxus is never coming out) or convert an Adeptus Biologis equivalent out of Skaven Stormfiends.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

More xposting

Corrode posted:

Finished up the second Archon this morning:

This one killed a bunch of Daemons in the game before I painted him, hence the cloak. The Succubus is nearly done too although I had to pin her glaive where the join snapped which slowed things down a little. Put some basecoats on the Venom today as well, so just that and the plane to go!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Duct Tape posted:

official art looks so goddamned goofy

My order of Big Robbits arrived on Saturday (Kastelans and Ironstriders) and I haven't had time to assemble the former yet. I think what makes them look so odd is that they have a very clean 1950's robot style with fully enclosed armour, and that contrasts with the rest of the AdMech range as everything else has exposed gears & cables all over the place. I was tempted to get custom heads to give them a more unfinished look, but it reckons a month for a shipping must be a lot of demand for necron robotits

Did any other AdMech players have trouble with the assembly instructions for Dragoons? I found quite a few points where the numbers on the piece in the photo didn't match the sprue, or two similar parts had numbers printed the wrong way around. I'm used to the odd mistake in GW instructions but there were so many for this kit.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xtothez posted:

My order of Big Robbits arrived on Saturday (Kastelans and Ironstriders) and I haven't had time to assemble the former yet. I think what makes them look so odd is that they have a very clean 1950's robot style with fully enclosed armour, and that contrasts with the rest of the AdMech range as everything else has exposed gears & cables all over the place. I was tempted to get custom heads to give them a more unfinished look, but it reckons a month for a shipping must be a lot of demand for necron robotits

Did any other AdMech players have trouble with the assembly instructions for Dragoons? I found quite a few points where the numbers on the piece in the photo didn't match the sprue, or two similar parts had numbers printed the wrong way around. I'm used to the odd mistake in GW instructions but there were so many for this kit.

Yeah I ran into the same issues. It assembled okay mostly but getting the servitors legs to line up was really irritating, especially because I kept one leg separate as a sub assembly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Yeah, the Kastelan look doesn't really fit the rest of the range. It's because they're a callback to the old Imperial Robots from RT, but the Ad Mech looks has moved on a lot since then. Personally I quite like them but they're an odd duck.

The assembly instructions for the Dragoons are dogshit, by far the worst I've seen for number mismatches.

e: wow literally right after posting this I went to build the Necron Overlord in the Start Collecting box and all but two numbers are wrong. They correctly label part 1, the main body, and part 9, the extra bit of cloak. Every single other piece is wrongly numbered, including there being a part 11 on the instructions for a 10-piece kit. It's incredible.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 7, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

I'm told that turning the head around (like 180) improves it quite a bit.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Killer_Bees! posted:

I hate custodes for what they did to 30k, but drat son these are really nice! That blue works perfectly with the gold

I know nothing of 30k, what did they do to it ? Are they as sloggy to play against as they are in 40k?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cainer posted:

I know nothing of 30k, what did they do to it ? Are they as sloggy to play against as they are in 40k?

Not a 30k player but apparently they're really op there, plus there was like a solid year of nothing but Custodes releases (including random new stuff which didn't even have rules from the original Custodes release) while the rest of the range was ignored, including stuff from years ago that was still waiting for sculpts.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

BigRed0427 posted:

Units that you will pretty much never regret having:

HQ
Farseers (up to 2, first one should probably be foot, second can be bike or foot)
Bike Autarchs (multiple)
Foot autarch (exactly one, will need to convert as there’s no current model)
Spiritseers

Troops
Guardian defenders (always build shuriken cannon platforms, though you don’t usually need to glue them).
Rangers
Dire avengers

Elites
Howling Banshees (one unit)

Fast Attack
Swooping Hawks (up to two units)
Shining Spears

Heavy Support
Fire prisms

Dedicated Transports
Wave Serpents (probably the best unit in the army, get several, always build the underslung shuriken cannons, turrets ideally magnetised, but shuriken cannons and lances are what you’ll swap between)

Flyers
All of them are great, Hemlock probably where you should start.

Other units that are at least fine
Bike Warlocks
Striking Scopions
Fire Dragons
Wraithguard (i lean cannons post deep strike changes)
Wraithblades (swords)
Windriders
Wraithlord
Dark Reapers

You can’t go too far wrong if you start out by filling wave serpents with guardians/DAs/some banshees and back them up with a hemlock, a farseer and an autarch, with some swooping hawks as objective grabbers. The codex is in a weird place post FAQ and in the current metagame where it’s still “top tier” but you build high-end armies out of a tiny fraction of the units available.

In terms of playing them, you want to use your mobility and the psychic combo of Jinx and Doom to utterly eradicate a high value target a turn, and focus on taking out whole units after that. Once something is jinxed and doomed even shuriken fire can shred tanks. The army is very murderous but also very fragile, so you need to ensure you’re concentrating your efforts in such a way as to meaningfully reduce your opponent’s damage output - even more than other armies, if you spend a turn scattering a few wounds here and there across multiple targets you’ll get blown away in response.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I think the Kastelan robot model is cool and good :colbert:

Also I never saw that movie with the fat inflatable robit

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

TheBigAristotle posted:

I think the Kastelan robot model is cool and good :colbert:

Same

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They're my favourite thing in the Ad Mech range next to Cawl, but they do look out of place is all I'm saying

Got the Succubus done too, with her freshly pinned archite glaive:

e: Can anyone remember how Sisters of Battle worked in 5th edition? Was it a WD list?

Living Image fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 7, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They're such a 1-for-1 homage to schlocky 50/60s sci-fi it's weird bringing up anything cgi.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Corrode posted:

e: Can anyone remember how Sisters of Battle worked in 5th edition? Was it a WD list?

There was a WD list that got superceeded by a digital-only codex. (Unless that was 6th?)

Both had problems and there weren't any substantive changes. One big thing was that you had a fixed number of Acts per turn, regardless of your army's size. So your army really didn't scale up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

Do you have an example picture of a Kastelan that doesn't look awful?

It’s mostly the face. Turn them around and they look pretty cool. Here’s mine.

I’ve also found that the normal face looks great if you do a bit of OSL and make it look really bright.