Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Geologically, not demographically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh, yeah. Definitely on a geological level.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Started enroute today. So far so good. Lots of info. Lots of reasons to LOL at stuckmic. We're already a class of 17 with a no-show. I am the old man at 31.
The facility selection process actually makes a lot of sense after they explained it- each class is given 2 choices for every student that graduates. They take 33% of the graduating number, and that's the number of "mandatory" facilities. If 9 students pass, there are 18 choices, and 3 of those choices (33% of 9) are required to be filled. The student with the highest score picks from the entire list of facilities, and it goes from there. If it gets down to the final three students, and the three mandatory facilities have not been chosen, they have to choose from the mandatory list. If no one likes the options, they can go with the opt-out. Currently, the only opt-put is San Juan. New York was one, but got removed from the list last week, apparently.
Get to go to CAMI tomorrow and take some tests!

OKC is also a very brown place.

loving hell, when I went through there was exactly 1 option for each graduate. Don't want ZNY? Sucks to be you!

Don't piss off the CAMI ladies. My class had a few that tried to screw up their data for the tests and the two guys who run the academy came in the next day and threatened to fire all of us.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They really want to get their jabs in before you're covered by the union.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, they did the rounds with various management types trying to put the fear of god into us. Our supervisor is pretty nice so far, though.
It's been reiterated several times that if we follow the rules, and don't go out and get a DUI or make fools of ourselves we'll be fine.
"You're not in the union yet, so don't give them a reason to fire you. This is training and four month job interview."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

Don't piss off the CAMI ladies. My class had a few that tried to screw up their data for the tests and the two guys who run the academy came in the next day and threatened to fire all of us.

My entire class tanked the second visit to CAMI after one of the ladies went off on a guy for literally nothing. We did not get visits from anyone. Probably very stupid of us to do in retrospect.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wow, cami had a much different feel when we went. The guy that gave us the intro to everything was very chill (he was filling in for the person that normally does it). Told us the tests weren't mandatory, but we had to still be there the entire time. The woman who "proctored" the tests didn't say anything.
The same person who was supposed to introduce everything to us was also supposed talk about stress management, but being out, her assistant talked to us. She gave us a 10 minute presentation then shot the poo poo for 25 minutes because we had to be there anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are you there for basics first, or straight to entourage initial?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Basics. Didn't want to risk forgetting anything from CTI.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Basics. Didn't want to risk forgetting anything from CTI.

Good call, but now you get to go to CAMI twice.

:haw:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Wow, cami had a much different feel when we went. The guy that gave us the intro to everything was very chill (he was filling in for the person that normally does it). Told us the tests weren't mandatory, but we had to still be there the entire time. The woman who "proctored" the tests didn't say anything.
The same person who was supposed to introduce everything to us was also supposed talk about stress management, but being out, her assistant talked to us. She gave us a 10 minute presentation then shot the poo poo for 25 minutes because we had to be there anyway.

The lady who gave us the intro told us that since most of us will fail anywy that we should hurry up and fail in order to save the agency some money. Jokes on them

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
DEN had an issue with a microburst sensor or something the other day. Instead of looking outside and seeing that there was literally nothing that could have caused a microburst and going about their day they stopped all arrivals and they had to be held for somewhere around 20-30 minutes. Good stuff.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
EOC for Basics is Monday morning, then we get to spend the day with CAMI again.

I must say, several of the instructors don't seem too prepared for instructing (despite some of them doing it for some time).
The "motivational" talks some of them give and the differences are funny-
:byodood: "YOU HAVE TO EAT, SLEEP, LIVE ATC. IT MUST BE YOUR EVERYTHING IF YOU WANT TO PASS ACROSS THE STREET. NO DRINKING. NO FUN. NOTHING BUT ATC. ALL HAIL OUR LORD THAT IS THE NAS "
vs
:yaycloud: "This is a huge opportunity, so don't squander it. Study for [x] hours a day, but don't suffocate yourselves. Take a day on the weekend to relax and let off some steam. Once you're past basics, we can go get a drink or play 9 holes together."

The biggest thing I find confusing is how much we're told "The instructors across the street always complain about the developmentals not knowing phraseology/strip marking/the map." Other than very basic phraseology in the first block, they just recently (according to the woman that proctors our tests) added block 5 with more phraseology and an introduction to strip marking. HR told us that having the map and studying it before you get it in your en route/terminal course is cheating and grounds for termination. How can instructors complain about students not knowing any of those things when they were never/barely taught or considered cheating to begin with? :psyduck:
Those of us that went through CTI have a better grasp on The Map and strip marking, but some of the OTS folks are freaking out over how much emphasis instructors are putting on it.

The FAA is also looking at almost removing instructors from the basics course entirely. The plan is to have the entire thing in an online module, then have an instructor come in at the end of each class day and ask "any questions? No? Cool. See you tomorrow." That seems like an absurdly bad idea based on the number of questions that get asked on a daily basis as class progresses each day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The FAA...

...That seems like an absurdly bad idea...

The FAA has never met an absurdly bad idea that it didn’t like, and immediately codify into the 7110.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A flight with a friend of mine on it had to turn around and land back at SFO. UA213. I was able to track them on LiveATC until Departure handed them off to NorCal departure on 124.32.

I cannot find 124.32 anywhere, other than a reference to that frequency being deprecated back in 2004.

The frequency change is read back and they disappear from the channel. I can’t find them after that, and they hadn’t yet asked for a turn back.

I’d like to hear what they reported the issue as. My friend said not too long after takeoff the plane started vibrating severely and they were told they needed to return to the airport due to a mechanical issue. They flew around for an extra 20 mins or so over the South Bay before returning.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

A flight with a friend of mine on it had to turn around and land back at SFO. UA213. I was able to track them on LiveATC until Departure handed them off to NorCal departure on 124.32.

I cannot find 124.32 anywhere, other than a reference to that frequency being deprecated back in 2004.

The frequency change is read back and they disappear from the channel. I can’t find them after that, and they hadn’t yet asked for a turn back.

I’d like to hear what they reported the issue as. My friend said not too long after takeoff the plane started vibrating severely and they were told they needed to return to the airport due to a mechanical issue. They flew around for an extra 20 mins or so over the South Bay before returning.

He reported an issue with his #1 engine. I was working an adjacent sector when this all happened.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LiveATC’s frequency selection and particularly their pairing is occasionally hilarious. They have two frequencies paired in Miami center airspace that not only aren’t physically adjacent, they’re not worked by the same area. They also have minimal coverage for most facilities, meaning it’s no surprise you couldn’t follow the flight to the next freq.

It’s great for ATC chatter, but it’s terrible for actually following along or trying to discern what’s going on with a specific flight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any idea when the FAA will be hiring again?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The most recent open bid was Feb 5, I believe. They seem to do them around the July/August time frame each year.
It's just a matter of keeping you eyes open and being prepared to wait months before hearing anything and up to years to complete the hiring process.
I go fully hired from the August 2016 bid in March of this year.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 27, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We haven't had one yet this year.

People were circulating a bid for previous experience controllers and mistaking it for a general open hire bid.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

We haven't had one yet this year.

People were circulating a bid for previous experience controllers and mistaking it for a general open hire bid.

Actually, it was mentioned as being for "old-timey controllers" on page 47, by me. I guess it could have been mistaken as an open bid if you consider 'old timey controllers' as being 'open bid for everybody'. I didn't get picked up on it though, as I was going to be way too old timey by the time they figured I'd be done with the process, which is bs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well I meant it was misunderstood because I saw it getting passed around on Facebook a lot at the time and people (even my coworkers) were referencing a news article without noticing it was from 2014.

Goons got it right.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crosspost for anyone not in the aviation thread:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Crosspost for anyone not in the aviation thread:

Get Shima on that stat!

Worked my first mid in well over a year last night. They still suck. The sleeping arrangements at ZDV kind of suck too. I don't think I'll be bidding them anytime soon. Being 2 person mids doesn't make me any more eager either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sitting in a briefing about Falcon 9 launches going forward.

Launch support causes huge delays for the airlines, pushing aircraft waaaaay inland over Florida that wouldn’t otherwise do so. Apparently the risk analysis came back and figured that leaving the Atlantic Routes open during a launch is an “acceptable risk.” The new Transitional Hazard Areas have a chance of incident calculated by some big-forehead at 1x 10^-7 or better, so they’re going to leave them open during launches. Aircraft have to stay on the airway through these areas, with no weather deviations available.

So I guess if SpaceX loses another rocket, flight crews get to play dodge-the-debris?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

Sitting in a briefing about Falcon 9 launches going forward.

Launch support causes huge delays for the airlines, pushing aircraft waaaaay inland over Florida that wouldn’t otherwise do so. Apparently the risk analysis came back and figured that leaving the Atlantic Routes open during a launch is an “acceptable risk.” The new Transitional Hazard Areas have a chance of incident calculated by some big-forehead at 1x 10^-7 or better, so they’re going to leave them open during launches. Aircraft have to stay on the airway through these areas, with no weather deviations available.

So I guess if SpaceX loses another rocket, flight crews get to play dodge-the-debris?
If they actually believe this 1 x 10^-7 number, that means you could theoretically launch one rocket per day, for 27,397.26 years!!!, without having an incident.

I don't doubt that they've looked seriously at the safety issues, but that number seems ridiculous on its face.

simble
May 11, 2004

It doesn’t seem ridiculous in the sense that you’re combing the odds of a rocket exploding and the debris from the explosion occupying the same space as an airplane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If these airplanes can survive ATC trainees they can survive rocket debris.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
As an flm told me one time, "that almost never happens". So no need to worry.

e: Got to see a legit medical emergency basically vectored behind another aircraft into an approach gate today. I come back from break and I hear someone say "3rd degree burns over 50% of their body". Well that's never good, right? Someone had somehow spilled a decent amount of boiling water on a little girl. The aircraft requests DEN as I think they were basically pointed at it. They clear them direct. There's a low only area under us and they go to coordinate the aircraft direct, etc... The low area tells them the aircraft will need to go over X fix to get in a gate or something like that and then decide on a 120 heading(probably a 60-70 degree right turn) as a solution. This conveniently puts the airplane on a vector away from their departures and behind another DEN arrival. There's a loving kid on board this airplane with severe burns and they loving delayed it several minutes. I don't know if I've been that angry before at this job and I wish I had been working that sector because I would have absolutely torn into those controllers. I went to the OM after I got out on my next break and told them they need to review that situation because the way it ended up going down was completely unacceptable.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 6, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Double posting to add to my edit from last night. We got one of our FLM's to look at that emergency today. "Handling of the emergency was fine." No one in my area that saw what happened or actually worked it agrees with this.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl1687#1146e270

That's a 6 minute vector according to that replay. According to the FLM, it was fine because there were departures that might have been a factor, the amount of time that elapsed between them declaring an emergency and diverting to Denver, and my personal favorite, that approach won't necessarily take emergencies direct to the airport "because they might have to vector them" so it's better to put them in a gate. I immediately asked that if the airplane was on fire if we're expected to vector them into an arrival gate. He replied with "that's a good question" and that was that. The controllers that worked it don't agree that any departures would have been a factor either.

Am I just making too much of this? I was under the impression that emergencies have some sort of priority or something and you don't put them on extended vectors to not slightly inconvenience other controllers. From my perspective there were multiple things that could have been done that wouldn't have had any significant impact on the operation in order to get this plane on the ground faster. I really think the low controllers were being lazy and didn't want to call approach or possibly have to vector a couple of airplanes out of the way.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Double posting to add to my edit from last night. We got one of our FLM's to look at that emergency today. "Handling of the emergency was fine." No one in my area that saw what happened or actually worked it agrees with this.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl1687#1146e270

That's a 6 minute vector according to that replay. According to the FLM, it was fine because there were departures that might have been a factor, the amount of time that elapsed between them declaring an emergency and diverting to Denver, and my personal favorite, that approach won't necessarily take emergencies direct to the airport "because they might have to vector them" so it's better to put them in a gate. I immediately asked that if the airplane was on fire if we're expected to vector them into an arrival gate. He replied with "that's a good question" and that was that. The controllers that worked it don't agree that any departures would have been a factor either.

Am I just making too much of this? I was under the impression that emergencies have some sort of priority or something and you don't put them on extended vectors to not slightly inconvenience other controllers. From my perspective there were multiple things that could have been done that wouldn't have had any significant impact on the operation in order to get this plane on the ground faster. I really think the low controllers were being lazy and didn't want to call approach or possibly have to vector a couple of airplanes out of the way.

That flight has bad luck:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-seeks-answers-son-dies-flight-home-christmas/story?id=52095116

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

gently caress no. I put medical emergencies #2 behind aircraft emergencies, but otherwise I’ll do everything I can to expedite them to the airport. Anyone who does differently is a lazy shitbag.

Related: I was CIC last night, with our departure sectors completely saturated with traffic and weather, TMU screaming to come off the intrail, and me screaming back at them that I’m not getting what I asked for in the first place and that they can go gently caress themselves. I have a tracker on position, and it’s bad.

My high side gets a flash on a medevac landing MIA, direct, no APPREQ or other coordination. He calls up and tells them to put them direct to the last center fix on the arrival, which gets him mostly but not totally out of the way, and coincidentally clears all the weather, and a few minutes later, I get a phone call from the sup up in Jax. Some simpering weenie trying to make me feel bad.

I snapped, told him I had a low side full of weather and airplanes, and that unless the medevac is requesting priority handling, my controller did exactly the right thing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Complaint from flight data puke, but this is the only place people might understand:

WMSCR was/is down tonight and tomorrow night from 0415-0715z, so basically the dead time on the mid. During this I'm supposed to update the altimeters at mode c correction stations. We also put out a list to each sector for them to pick ESSENTIAL airports that need to be updated during these hours. Basically I have to call each station and hand jam them into the computer. All in all I get 82 airports they want done. It takes me roughly a minute per station to sit through the weather recording plus more if theres junk on the end which makes the cycle longer if I came in the middle of the recording (which I did for those mode c correction stations). So in theory it takes 82 minutes to finish what needs to be repeated every 60 minutes for a 3 hour block.

Luckily the OMIC decided that it would be better if a plane was actually inbound to an airport the area would call me asap and I could just do that station. So far no calls after almost the 2nd hour.

But looking closer at the list of the essential stations they originally wanted done are 1) airports that are closed during these hours and 2) my favorite: weather stations that have been out of service for days if not weeks.

EDIT: WMSCR didn't come back for an additional hour. 4 hours only one call for a station they actually needed weather for.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 9, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got checked out today :toot:

Training is still training but wasn't at all bad.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Congrats

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

fknlo posted:

I immediately asked that if the airplane was on fire if we're expected to vector them into an arrival gate. He replied with "that's a good question" and that was that. The controllers that worked it don't agree that any departures would have been a factor either.

Airline pilot input: If my airplane is on fire we're going direct to the marker of the closest runway we can land on. Unless there's an immediate collision threat we're not taking vectors/ re-routes or slowing down until we absolutley have to for landing.

PAX medical emergencies are a little different but I'd be really annoyed with anything that wasn't more or less direct.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rumor is that ZHU got their upgrade with back pay. ZMA got our no-upgrade notice yesterday.

There is significant tension in the ranks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Rumor is that ZHU got their upgrade with back pay. ZMA got our no-upgrade notice yesterday.

There is significant tension in the ranks.

You guys have done more ops than ZHU for the past couple of years according to the ATADS stuff I just pulled up. I'm kind of hopeful ZDV will get upgraded at some point so I can get more money. We're doing more ops than any of the other 10's that I'm seeing and have been ahead of ZKC the past couple years too. I'm definitely working way higher volume than I was at ZKC.

Ask me about pissing off low controllers by giving DEN landers crossing restrictions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Ask me about pissing off low controllers by giving DEN landers crossing restrictions.

I do the same thing to our adjacent area, and it pisses them off similarly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Because they have to descend them faster after the point?