Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

This company is hilarious. "We have chosen to cede the entire Windows developer market to GitHub and Microsoft."

lol. as if ruby in 2018 wasn't enough of a warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FamDav posted:

gitlab is riding high on the k8s and “let’s run everything ourselves what do those github guys know?” bandwagon

surprisingly they are even worse at operations and infrastructure than their customers

Our VP of software forced every team to start using gitlab and now we've got an outage that keeps us from submitting or deploying code at least once a sprint. It is bad software

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

this somewhat gets at why firm scaling by cost of living is so crazy to me -- in theory they're paying you what youre worth to them, not what your expenses are.

why is this a surprise. labor is a product like anything else.

did you offer extra money for the last car you bought, because it was really useful to you?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

lol. as if ruby in 2018 wasn't enough of a warning

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why is this a surprise. labor is a product like anything else.

did you offer extra money for the last car you bought, because it was really useful to you?

point is, "you don't need the money" is the reason to pay you less but if you go to your boss and say "pay me more because I need the money" you'll get told you're paid for the value you provide to the company not for what you need

I mean, yes, this is obvious but just another example of the fact that capitalism is based on screwing every last penny you can out of everyone else by any means necessary and rewards dishonesty

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Arcsech posted:

point is, "you don't need the money" is the reason to pay you less but if you go to your boss and say "pay me more because I need the money" you'll get told you're paid for the value you provide to the company not for what you need

They pay you that because they can get away with it. If you live in a low CoL area the jobs in that area probably don't pay as much. You're paid as much as your employer thinks will keep you there.

"You don't need the money" is just spin; because its a lot nicer than "if you don't like it, go find somewhere else in <small town>"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsech posted:

the latter should be correctly recognized as a a veiled threat to start looking for a new job followed by your boss calling your bluff

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is gitlab the one that accidentally blew away a bunch of customer repos once?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

Your salary is directly representative of how your company weighs up the risk vs reward of hiring you and very little to do with cost of living beyond what you yourself are willing to put up with, although they might very well use it as a convenient negotiating platform. Think about it like this, if you said no to that cost of living adjustment, the company will probably rescind their offer. Why do you think that is? It ultimately comes down to two things and two things only:

1) They view you, the remote worker, as a higher risk.
2) They do not expect you to produce the same value as an onsite employee.

Both reasons together mean they do not think it is cost effective to hire you. Remote workers are inherently less valuable than local workers. Maybe they'll dress it up as cost of living or whatever, but that's the name of the game and the same rules apply to remote workers that apply to some peon in the third world.

qhat posted:

It's not crazy if you see it for what it really is: a disincentive to work remotely while also a convenient way of reducing labor costs in a way that sounds semi reasonable.

Progressive JPEG posted:

this somewhat gets at why firm scaling by cost of living is so crazy to me -- in theory they're paying you what youre worth to them, not what your expenses are. i can't expect to go to my manager and get anything from 'i need a raise because i bought an expensive boat' other than a hearty chuckle. likewise it would be ridiculous for my manager to say 'i heard you're living in a studio; ive cut your pay since you dont need it anyway'.

efb: above post

they as a commercial git vendor are empowered to fix this problem so lol at not even attempting to target that userbase

good posts itt

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

raminasi posted:

Yes.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Fiedler posted:

Translation: Do not ever work for this company or use their products.

we knew this when they blew up their db and livestreamed themselves sucking at fixing it

jony neuemonic posted:

lol jesus, i'm the company built entirely on git that will only begrudgingly allow you to use linux.

a non-trivial part of changing my mind about a job offer I accepted was they insisted I use a mac, liken literally disallowed from using a linux machine

well that and getting a way better job offer

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

raminasi posted:

Postmortem of database outage of January 31, 2017

People use this poo poo?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

should say 'money free' not 'risk free' lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:smug:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ADINSX posted:

They pay you that because they can get away with it. If you live in a low CoL area the jobs in that area probably don't pay as much. You're paid as much as your employer thinks will keep you there.

"You don't need the money" is just spin; because its a lot nicer than "if you don't like it, go find somewhere else in <small town>"

yeah i covered that

Arcsech posted:

I mean, yes, this is obvious but just another example of the fact that capitalism is based on screwing every last penny you can out of everyone else by any means necessary and rewards dishonesty

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

a non-trivial part of changing my mind about a job offer I accepted was they insisted I use a mac, liken literally disallowed from using a linux machine

well that and getting a way better job offer

hell i prefer using a mac for most things, but that’s such a weirdly pissy attitude to have about something that really doesn’t matter that it screams :redflag:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

hobbesmaster posted:

the latter should be correctly recognized as a a veiled threat to start looking for a new job followed by your boss calling your bluff

Bosses are evaluated on results and retention. They're supposed to call bluffs, but also know when someone isn't bluffing and take care of them.

The now defunct Debug podcast had a great episode where two former directors from Apple were on the show, Melton and Ganatra. They go over a lot of salient points about retaining talent and when to let people go, among a lot of other points about managing technical teams.

I think everyone should be aware of the other side of the negotiation- it's not that you should cry a river for the bosses of the world, it's that it certainly helps to understand what factors into a raise vs a pass.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rofl. Yeah we almost lost all of our customer's codebases, but hey at least we defeated Jenna Marbles on youtube.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I'd definitely have second thoughts about working for a company that livestreamed my ineptitude with computers across the Internet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

duh?

you get paid some amount less than the value you provide to the company. that amount is, preferably, as small as possible, in order to maximize the company's consumer surplus

when you buy a car, you buy it for some amount less than the value you gain from it. ideally, that amount is small as possible, to maximize your consumer surplus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tl;dr: when you buy a thing, paying less is preferable to paying more

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you get paid some amount less than the value you provide to the company. that amount is, preferably, as small as possible, in order to maximize the company's consumer surplus

plz explain the the gender pay gap in this framework

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

haha i never actually read the postmortem. i'm the

gitlab lol posted:

Unfortunately the process of both finding and using backups failed completely.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ah yes, backing up data, a problem which has stumped the brightest engineers since time immemorial.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when you buy a car, you buy it for some amount less than the value you gain from it. ideally, that amount is small as possible, to maximize your consumer surplus
:iiaca:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

ah yes, backing up data, a problem which has stumped the brightest engineers since time immemorial.

those engineers should've lost their stamps for this!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ADINSX posted:

seems like "go somewhere else" isn't that much of a threat in tech land.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jony neuemonic posted:

hell i prefer using a mac for most things, but that’s such a weirdly pissy attitude to have about something that really doesn’t matter that it screams :redflag:

there's not a lot in the way of it policy enforcement for linux

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Actually literally flying out today for an interview tomorrow. :ohdear:

This mean I'm actually decent or just good enough?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Space Whale posted:

Actually literally flying out today for an interview tomorrow. :ohdear:

This mean I'm actually decent or just good enough?
It means that you're probably gonna get trafficked.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
hope you like working on a taiwanese fishing boat, you won’t see land for two years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

plz explain the the gender pay gap in this framework

the reason we have laws against discrimination is that private actors often conclude discrimination is worth their time and money, but it impoverishes all of us, communally, when they pursue that private interest

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

this, but unironically

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
good news: I got the job
bad news: I learned that (old, bad job) has been paying me way above market rate and they won't match my old salary

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dragon enthusiast posted:

bad news: I learned that (old, bad job) has been paying me way above market rate and they won't match my old salary

then don't take the job?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

probably not true

post ur figgies, if its over 200k: okay maybe, if its under: doubtful

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Peeny Cheez posted:

It means that you're probably gonna get trafficked.

Nah I got metro'd.

Working transit is amazing coming from the south/ Colorado.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i guess it's less being paid above market rate and more lingering effects from a previous career change

that one was definitely a pay cut disguised as a raise due to cost of living adjustments

now the cost of living is going in the opposite direction and idk if not having to deal with all the bullshit of my current job is going to offset the ~7% loss of figgies

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ship the figgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"You're not going to get a better deal elsewhere" - #1 sales strat since the dawn of time