Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I have Sun (playing through, on island three?) moon (un opened) omega Ruby (core game almost beaten) Y, (beaten, have done no post game) and want to have a game with All the Pokémon (that’s called a living dex right?) before the new switch Game comes out. My question is, I see ultra sun and moon are like $30 bucks, which one should I grab? And how do I get them all onto what I’m assuming will be a game I don’t have yet? Poke bank? How hard will this goal be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LionArcher posted:

So I have Sun (playing through, on island three?) moon (un opened) omega Ruby (core game almost beaten) Y, (beaten, have done no post game) and want to have a game with All the Pokémon (that’s called a living dex right?) before the new switch Game comes out. My question is, I see ultra sun and moon are like $30 bucks, which one should I grab? And how do I get them all onto what I’m assuming will be a game I don’t have yet? Poke bank? How hard will this goal be?

Most of what is breedable will be an extremely easy get. The trick would be missing mythicals which, sorry man those are real hard to find and you need to rely on giveaways, and legendaries. Omega Ruby and Ultra * throw legendaries at you in the postgame, but I'm not sure if the set of legendaries between two games in different gens will cover everything or not.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

You will need Pokebank to hold them all and keep track of them, as National Dex was removed from the Sun and Moon games.

Go ahead and skip Moon for Ultra Moon. You'll have to trade for the version exclusive Blacephalon and get another Poipole from someone since it evolves (or play Ultra Sun.) Marshadow won't be given out for a while. The current code giveaways are to give Legendary Pokemon found in the opposite versions of Ultra Sun and Moon during a mini game.

That leaves 246 Pokemon not counting any forms.
https://www.serebii.net/ultrasunultramoon/unobtainable.shtml

Pokemon Crystal would be a good pickup just for the Celebi and Jhoto starters. Technically Omega Ruby will give the starter Pokemon, but you can only choose one from each generation. From then on it's a matter of going through the exclusive Pokemon list and trading/catching what is missing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well Ultra Necrozma certainly feels unfair. Is there a better place to grind levels than Poni Canyon?

EDIT: Literally the only strategies I've found online are to cheese it with Zorua/Mimikyu/Pokemon with Sturdy and Toxic. Good game design.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 7, 2018

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Most of what is breedable will be an extremely easy get. The trick would be missing mythicals which, sorry man those are real hard to find and you need to rely on giveaways, and legendaries. Omega Ruby and Ultra * throw legendaries at you in the postgame, but I'm not sure if the set of legendaries between two games in different gens will cover everything or not.

Thanks for this. I forgot to mention I have over the last few years grabbed codes and uploaded them to the old games (things like Mew) so I do have a fair amount of that stuff.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dehry posted:

You will need Pokebank to hold them all and keep track of them, as National Dex was removed from the Sun and Moon games.

Go ahead and skip Moon for Ultra Moon. You'll have to trade for the version exclusive Blacephalon and get another Poipole from someone since it evolves (or play Ultra Sun.) Marshadow won't be given out for a while. The current code giveaways are to give Legendary Pokemon found in the opposite versions of Ultra Sun and Moon during a mini game.

That leaves 246 Pokemon not counting any forms.
https://www.serebii.net/ultrasunultramoon/unobtainable.shtml

Pokemon Crystal would be a good pickup just for the Celebi and Jhoto starters. Technically Omega Ruby will give the starter Pokemon, but you can only choose one from each generation. From then on it's a matter of going through the exclusive Pokemon list and trading/catching what is missing.

Thanks for all of this! Great info 👌🏻👍🏻

Edit. How is crystal to play? Is it a slog or is it okay?

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 7, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RatHat posted:

Well Ultra Necrozma certainly feels unfair. Is there a better place to grind levels than Poni Canyon?

EDIT: Literally the only strategies I've found online are to cheese it with Zorua/Mimikyu/Pokemon with Sturdy and Toxic. Good game design.

I had to Rotom boost my Scizor in order to stand a chance, and a crit ruins you. Ultra Necrozma is bullshit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

RatHat posted:

I used FEAR:
Focus Sash
Endeavor
Attack, Quick
Rattatta, level 1

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

LionArcher posted:

Thanks for all of this! Great info 👌🏻👍🏻

Edit. How is crystal to play? Is it a slog or is it okay?

I'm playing through Crystal right now myself and its not quite as bad as Gold and Silver are in terms of pacing. The small handful of extra story bits kinda help fill the gaps and the uphill battle that is grinding doesnt really hit until after the E4 which only covers the last 1/3 of the game.

You can also chain breed shinyness in Gen II as any couple with a shiny parent has muchly increesed odds of having the opposite gendered offspring be shiny.
Pair that with the odd egg's improved shiny chances and the save glitch and you could be swimming in alternate colored pokemon!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aristide posted:

I'm playing through Crystal right now myself and its not quite as bad as Gold and Silver are in terms of pacing. The small handful of extra story bits kinda help fill the gaps and the uphill battle that is grinding doesnt really hit until after the E4 which only covers the last 1/3 of the game.

You can also chain breed shinyness in Gen II as any couple with a shiny parent has muchly increesed odds of having the opposite gendered offspring be shiny.
Pair that with the odd egg's improved shiny chances and the save glitch and you could be swimming in alternate colored pokemon!

Wait, how does the egg and slave glitch work? Also, this means you have to start with a shiny right.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LionArcher posted:

Wait, how does the egg and slave glitch work? Also, this means you have to start with a shiny right.
The Odd Egg is natively average-14% to be shiny (see the link for the exact probabilities since it varies by species) and then breeding works better for shiny in gen 2 because it's down to IVs rather than independent.

(also the save glitch is literally just that, you move stuff in the PC and turn the power off at the right time, unless there's something new on VC I don't know about.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RatHat posted:

Alternative strategy(which is tedious and still kind of cheesing it, but can be done without having to grab a bunch of new pokemon):
1)Buy a shitton of Revives
2)Cycle through reviving Pokemon until it runs out of PP
3) (Optional) Bring a Fairy type so you can use it to start KOing it once it only has Dragon moves left.

Another tactic: Get an Inkay or Malamar with Topsy-Turvy. Stick a Focus Sash on it, and have it use Topsy-Turvy turn one. This will make Ultra Necrozma more manageable since you turn all its boosts into lowered stats.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I gave my Salazzle a quick claw and revived it every time it didn't proc. Toxic on it and hold out until it dies from it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Switched in totem mimikyu after opening with a Pangoro to bait out the fighting attack. Did a let's snuggle forever, then killed it with whatever.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

I used FEAR:
Focus Sash
Endeavor
Attack, Quick
Rattatta, level 1

Yeah, this fight is an ideal battle for my lvl 1 Aron from triple battles in ORAS.

I cheesed it with a 100 Garchomp that luckily obeyed me.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The correct way to fight the version Legendary/Final Rival Battle's/Champion's Last Pokemon is to use your starter Pokemon :colbert:

I used 2x X Sp. Def. on my Incineroar which made him tanky enough to barely survive two Power Gems to the face, then used a Full Restore and went to town with Darkest Lariat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Were you massively overleveled? I don't think that would work if you followed the level curve and had pokemon around the mid 50s.

And yeah it is really easy to get overleveled but not everyone does so.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Were you massively overleveled? I don't think that would work if you followed the level curve and had pokemon around the mid 50s.

And yeah it is really easy to get overleveled but not everyone does so.

I think my Incineroar was level 60-61ish. It didn't work outright I had to do some resets for the initial low rolls and hoping no Sp. Attack boosting nature and no crits

edit:
Here did the calcs with Level 60 Modest Ultra Necrozma vs level 60 Adamant 252 Hp EV 15Hp IV 15 SpD IV Incineroar

+1 0+ SpA Neuroforce Necrozma-Ultra Power Gem vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 130-154 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (after 1st X Sp. Def.)
+1 0+ SpA Neuroforce Necrozma-Ultra Power Gem vs. +4 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 88-104 (38.2 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (after 2nd X Sp. Def.)

I used 15 IVs on both stats cause my Incineroar didn't have any perfect/0 IVs but can't remember how much it had, but unless both Hp and SpD IVs are really really low, it's survivable if you get lucky and get low rolls.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 7, 2018

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

RatHat posted:

There is no strategy, only cheese.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bessantj posted:

When deciding on what moves to give my pokemon I've been sticking with ones that do damage and discarding any that boost/reduce stats or give status effects (though I do have one pokemon that I'm keeping sleep on.) Is this a good idea or am I missing out not giving my pokemon a move that reduces defence or something?

This depends on if you're just playing through the main game or battling other humans. For the single player, you're generally not messing with stat boosting or status moves because battles are just over too quickly and all you end up doing is drag things out. Generally. There are some legit tough fights in the single player.

Battling against humans is a whole other kettle of fish. There, stat boosting moves are very powerful depending on when/how you use them. Predict that your opponent will switch out and use your stat boosting move? Congratulations! You just gave yourself a huge advantage for the next turn. Guessed wrong and they attacked you instead? You run the risk of getting KO'd yourself!

If you want to try sprinkling in a few status moves here's a rule of thumb: buffing your own stats is better than debuffing the opponent's stats.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/kittystufful/status/993321161495924736

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Holy poo poo :pusheen:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Next gen won't have any new Pokemon, just 800 Mimikyu variations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Fake news. That tweeter is lying, those plushies are fanmade.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

loving :sparkles: as gently caress

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

less laughter posted:

Fake news. That tweeter is lying, those plushies are fanmade.

hmmmmmm hows the quality though

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is curious: the volcano currently erupting in Hawaii is the equivalent to Blush Mountain in Alola. The houses being destroyed in Leilani Estates don't have an equivalent in game as it's an unincorporated area, but the nearby Kalapana inspired Tapu Village.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dehry posted:

If anyone is curious: the volcano currently erupting in Hawaii is the equivalent to Blush Mountain in Alola. The houses being destroyed in Leilani Estates don't have an equivalent in game as it's an unincorporated area, but the nearby Kalapana inspired Tapu Village.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Please do not play pokemon go in lava.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo just revealed their Switch online services with a September launch date. $20 per year. $35 for a "Family account"

This guy from last week got several things right so far and mentions what the next Pokemon games are going to be.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76571076

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I really loving hope it's not a Gen 1 Reboot.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly it was an admitted lie according to a poster in the Switch thread but later posts in the Gamefaqs one make it sound like he doxxed himself on accident.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/mellsomels/status/993409731489234946

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I haven't played Pokemon since forever and bought Ultra Sun for a nostalgia trip. Decided to try out Wonder Trade and got a level 100 shiny Celebi what the gently caress? Is this like an ultra virus that's going to wipe out my save or something

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
No, but it's almost certainly hacked. It may or may not be allowed into Pokebank depending on how good its creator was, but it shouldn't have any bad effects on your game.

I've gotten some definitely-hacked Wonder Trade mons(including a shiny Zubat and a shiny Timid(or maybe Modest, it's been a while) female Salandit) myself. It's just a Thing with wonder trade.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

UnfurledSails posted:

I haven't played Pokemon since forever and bought Ultra Sun for a nostalgia trip. Decided to try out Wonder Trade and got a level 100 shiny Celebi what the gently caress? Is this like an ultra virus that's going to wipe out my save or something

Does it have perfect IVs too? Some people generate hacked pokemon and put them on Wonder Trade for some reason. I don't understand it, but assume that they think they're being nice? But hey, PSA to anyone who does this: If I wanted to cheat, I'd do it myself. You trying to make me cheat without my consent is not appreciated.

Be aware that it's probably generated, unless there's some special circumstance/giveaway for obtaining shiny Celebis. I don't believe it's any risk to you to keep it, it's just up to whether or not you care about being 'legit'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you can just not use the hacked mon, you arent being forced to cheat

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Guy Forget posted:

I don't understand it, but assume that they think they're being nice?
To be fair, some of us don't care but are also too lazy to hack things themselves. I used that definitely-not-legitimate Salandit in my run, because why not? Most hacked Pokemon are obvious enough that you can release/permabox them if you don't want to use them. It's not like your save file is marked with a scarlet C for Cheating the instant one of those mons touches your game.

I'm also guessing any kid who gets one of those things would think it's the coolest poo poo ever(unless they're old enough to figure out it's a hacked Pokemon).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
lustrous daybreak is the killer in that leak imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can just not use the hacked mon, you arent being forced to cheat

Yes, you are being forced to cheat. The game saves whether you've seen the shiny forms of each pokemon as part of the pokedex data. That gets updated when you receive a pokemon through trade. The flag saying you've seen the shiny form can't be deleted.