Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

How do people ever actually part with gear? I'm bad at this.

As someone who's posted wayy too much about this poo poo, and already has seen gear come and go the past 30 years:

1) Put the piece you're thinking of selling in a cupboard or storage
2) If you get it out during 3 months, don't sell it, you still use it.
3) If you don't get it out during that time, get it out one last time.
4) Play it. Does it make you smile? Does it make you think "aww yeah, that's what I bought this for"? If so, keep it, but ask yourself why you're not using it regularly.
5) If you get a solid meh, you can get rid of it without remorse.

Do this one device at a time. Selling the first unit is the hardest, and a bad buyer can really ruin it for you. If the transaction is smooth, the next sale will be easier, and you might even find yourself eager to get rid of things.

Ask yourself why you're selling. Do you need money for a new thing you want more than anything else? If that's the case - is the thing you're selling still manufactured or easily bought secondhand? Anything you can easily buy again is not hard to part with; yes, there's the loss you might have to eat, but you wanted the new thing faster than you can save up.

There is a thought exercise that comes up on most forums: your studio burns down. The insurance pays you the best value (either its new price, or the market rate if that's higher).

What would you buy to replace it with, ignoring infrastructure like mixers, monitors and your DAW? That is your dream setup; but you have no idea yet if it'll actually work; the question is also a "if that's what your ideal setup looks like, why doesn't your setup look like that right now?"

Is all the stuff you have overwhelming? Do you want to strip down? Experiment with putting all of your stuff somewhere else temporarily, and bring only a few devices into your studio. Find the most effective combination of things you know well and things you gel with. Everything else is just not that essential in that case.

Don't ask forums what you should sell from your collection; they either go for the investment pieces or the stuff they want or have, not your own usage patterns.

In my experience it is better to have a few very nice things than a lot of cheap or mediocre things, but you have to find out what kind of person you are in terms of equipment.

During that time I learned some important things, so I'd say these are the kind of things you probably would benefit from knowing about yourself.

- I found out personally that I don't deal well with overly complex stuff unless it's properly boxed in. I can deal with a Nord Modular, because you can just zap through presets if you don't feel like building poo poo, and there's a whole bunch of really great ones. I have no patience to get really deep into romplers; it's more effective to spend time layering a bunch of instruments or even plugins, and all those massive awesome one-finger-soundtrack things are almost always useless in a mix anyway.

- I have tried to work with mixers many, many times, and eventually I gave up on the space and limitations and just got a big audio interface that can route anything to anything, so I'm going to set that up to work exactly like I want to and then not touch it anymore.

- I have tried to work with hardware samplers several times, and they're just no fun to me at all, except for an Akai MPC. It's not worth it to me however to buy a device just for that.

- I have tried to work with grooveboxes and drum machines several times, and I found out that I am a simple man with simple desires. A TR8 is complex enough for me; anything more than that and I just don't want to bother, so I know I don't even have to buy a Rytm or something.

- I love Stevie and Herbie and Chick. I know for a fact that I am never going to reach that level of musicianship, but I still tried to get a setup that was very close to their 70s stuff. Clones will do the job, except when...

- You have to understand that some gear can be something you can fall in love with and Lord have mercy on you if only a CS80 gives you butterflies. Find what you fall in love with, indulge on that, and you'll never have to ask yourself if the real thing is different or better. This also kills a good chunk of gearlust too.

And of course: all gear is poo poo, hail satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for this, it was really helpful to kind of clear my mental palate about this all. Part of why I'm struggling with gear overload is that I do indeed feel like I have a bunch of poo poo I don't use and a bunch of other stuff I'd rather have. It's come up now because I just finished my home studio that has been unusable for a couple of years, so I'm about to lug all my gear out of the spare bedroom where it's been living for that time.

Which means this is probably the perfect time to box up everything but the essential stuff I need to do my freelance work (which is, honestly, just a keyboard, an interface, the pc, and my mics). I think I'll do what you suggested and only keep a synth or two handy beyond that, for a while at least.

I recently transitioned from being a full-time sound designer to only part-time freelance stuff, so the need to have a huge arsenal that I'm moderately familiar with is not as great as it once was. It's kind of gratifying that I've used every piece of gear in my studio in a sound design at some point (except for my Peak and Digitakt, by virtue of them being the newest additions) and makes me feel a lot better about parting with stuff I don't use enough to justify keeping it handy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd love to offload the MS-20 Mini that's been sitting in my closet for two years but (a) I'd barely make my money back after shipping and (b) I love those yellow patch cables :smith:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Behringer Odyssey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htb-fratkDQ

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

I'd love to offload the MS-20 Mini that's been sitting in my closet for two years but (a) I'd barely make my money back after shipping and (b) I love those yellow patch cables :smith:

Just flip it and put the money into yellow patch cables. Bada-Bing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

and more behringer poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cIR7RGqg3Y

808, odyssey and pro-one all getting shown at superbooth. we're living in a behringer world right now

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
That loving 808

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyway what else is out there?

I saw this Bastl MIDI to CV module announced today and thought of you. Caveats: only 4 CV tracks and it's lacking details on the "mangling" since the official Bastl page doesn't seem to exist yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Startyde posted:

That loving 808

:smith:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Like the man says- throw it in the gutter and go buy another
Can’t ever catch the dragon so don’t worry about it

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

New circuit update 1.7 on the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KR2RALjCLs

• Legato on patterns
  • Micro steps on synths
  • Pattern chain selection (patterns can now be chained in any order and other stuff, allows for really complex pattern chains)
  • Proper synth gui in components

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Plavski posted:

• Legato on patterns
  • Micro steps on synths
  • Pattern chain selection (patterns can now be chained in any order and other stuff, allows for really complex pattern chains)

That new pattern chaining feature is awesome. Not being able to set up song structures to play automatically was the biggest issue I had with the circuit.

The new gui for patches is nice too, but it sucks you can't hear the result of the editing parameters live.
Is there a place for users to share circuit patches online? I'm getting bored of the ones in the free packs.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The GUI is already part of components and works with 1.6, and you can definitely hear the changes live.

Thank god for the pattern chaining update. Was kind of annoying having to shuffle those around to be in order.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i keep thinking i need a drum machine since my er-1 broke
but im broke too so i guess i should justfinally learn the sp's sequencers

any yall got any tips? ive always used em for fx, recording, and serious mangling of samples; i know i *can* use them as a drum machine but i aint done it in the decade i been playin em so :effort: idk i guess im just asking for a little encouragement lol

anyways on the topics of samplers, resampling is a feature whose utility scales with the samplers capabilities -- the sp-404sx for instance, cant operate its sequencer while resampling. the 303 however can, so i guess i oughta use that so i can have entire bars of beats on each pad which i can then resequence post resampling :thunk:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Get a digitakt

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Plavski posted:

• Legato on patterns
  • Micro steps on synths

This looks great! I do like that the Isotonik editor lets you type parameter values in addition to the graphical knobs, but it's nice to have something that integrates with the Components patch bank.

I hope they patch the bug I reported, but it was such a small use case I would understand them saving their efforts for pattern chaining and the rest.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Dyna Soar posted:

Get a digitakt

:member: to read :wink:

if i wasnt ida done got an mpc live and 4ms sts

fangs doe 🤑

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Im too busy, need more leisure time

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

More Behringer stuff. Their MS-101 was on show too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNvRuaJPkM

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Did another of my vocoder opera tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/you-did-your-best

Also changed my av for the first time in forever, and am constantly confused by it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I want a Synthstrom Deluge so bad, but I know I'm going to regret it if they do a v2 with a screen. A Push 2-level upgrade would be incredible.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Know Such Peace posted:

I want a Synthstrom Deluge so bad, but I know I'm going to regret it if they do a v2 with a screen. A Push 2-level upgrade would be incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aWHuBUvfE
They're pushing out a load more features, so I think you'll be fine for a while. And really, if they do a v2, you'll be able to get a great price for your current one as they will be hot items for a good while I'd imagine.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
That Superbooth Deluge demo is making my bank account nervous.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

So Math posted:

I saw this Bastl MIDI to CV module announced today and thought of you. Caveats: only 4 CV tracks and it's lacking details on the "mangling" since the official Bastl page doesn't seem to exist yet.

This gave me an idea that I think solves my problem - thank you!

Plus it looks like a cool module, I might go that over Yarns. The TUNE thing is really interesting, I wonder if it's just calibrating the CVs to a pitch or what.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Went to impulse-buy the Deluge, but I can't pay for it with a Discover card without going through paypal and paying an extra $38.16. :^/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Lets talk about chords!

What kind of chords do you all like?

Long ones? Short stabs? Layered octaves?

Recently I've been really into super ready root / 7th or root /7 / 9 things that just kinda suggest something, looooots of tension there and they mix well when I'm not looking for a key so much as a mood or a suggestion (which is how I tend to use them). I also just have an easier time sequencing less notes, less things to keep track of.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of dim7s and +5s. They get me anywhere I need to go.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

lol get a monosynth yall!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I really like just hanging out on a minor 7 and jamming on that for awhile.

I've also liked recently taking a major 7 chord, raising the root and lowering the 7th to make a dim7, and then pivoting to a new chord from there:
Cmaj7 --> C#dim7 --> a bunch of different options

It's a fairly jarring sound, but it instantly makes me sound like a cool jazzer who knows what the heck I'm doing. It also forces me to pay attention to voice-leading, which I usually tend to ignore.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol get a monosynth yall!

are you not playing 2 note chords on your odyssey

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

No room for chords when im sequencing osc2 with sync on like a boss. :smuggo:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

technically a chord needs three notes, 2 is an interval :eng101:

and lol ofc not i got the one without a keyboard for a reason 😎

like, its a fun enough machine but having no voltage control over envelopes or lfos is a good reminder of why i went modular

its real fun to hook it too my moog lpf and get a big feedback drone going

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

No room for chords when im sequencing osc2 with sync on like a boss. :smuggo:

also vco1 on lfo is the only internal vc modultion so :c00lbert:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

actually on monosynths and chords in general I'm gonna repeat blindly something I don't totally understand that I read on Muffs - basically in jazz arrangements you have a lot of monophonic parts playing different voices of the chord of the key. and you can totally replicate this with monosynths. so you have your bass and your lead be your root, then a third voice, a 7th voice, 9th, etc etc until you run out of synths.

being a gigantic dumbass when it comes to harmony I can't post my results but its an interesting idea I wanted to share

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

also vco1 on lfo is the only internal vc modultion so :c00lbert:

Not sure i follow. I'm not sequencing osc2 through the modulation input, I'm doing it with the CV input with a TRS cable. I can still apply LFO to osc2.

My biggest bugbear with the Odyssey is that the LFO resets on keyboard trig. :smith:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

Not sure i follow. I'm not sequencing osc2 through the modulation input, I'm doing it with the CV input with a TRS cable. I can still apply LFO to osc2.

My biggest bugbear with the Odyssey is that the LFO resets on keyboard trig. :smith:
my desire for votage controlled modulation led me to modular, and i was just above posting that, for the most part, its rather lacking in the odyssey

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

my desire for votage controlled modulation led me to modular, and i was just above posting that, for the most part, its rather lacking in the odyssey

:same:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I really like Major chords with an added II, it's the good morning chord!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fucks sake. Now Jeremy did a video on the Deluge and MY gear lust is rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Goddamn, that Deluge does look incredibly sweet. Glad I'm too broke for major impulse purchases, because daaamn.