Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Back to back PPTQ losses in the finals saturday and sunday this weekend after steamrolling game 1... Feels bad man!

What were you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

What were you on?

Mono Red. Deck is great. I had the best deck in the rooms both days.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Mono Red. Deck is great. I had the best deck in the rooms both days.

Was this Standard or some crazy rear end sealed pool?

If Standard, how are you getting through the 5 toughness on Lyra's reliably?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Was this Standard or some crazy rear end sealed pool?

If Standard, how are you getting through the 5 toughness on Lyra's reliably?

Standard. Lyra isn't a relevant card in any matchup. It's the finisher after the game is over. If they tap out and play Lyra on turn 5 they just die. The way you lose is if they draw like 3 Fatal Push or 3 cast out. (thats literally how I lost.)

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Standard. Lyra isn't a relevant card in any matchup. It's the finisher after the game is over. If they tap out and play Lyra on turn 5 they just die. The way you lose is if they draw like 3 Fatal Push or 3 cast out. (thats literally how I lost.)

Would you rather see your opponent play a Lyra as opposed to Regal Coracle?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Would you rather see your opponent play a Lyra as opposed to Regal Coracle?

yeah probably. the cat is better since it makes 3 bodies that block.I Tend to think that the creature packages that control decks bring in against Red are pretty bad universally though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

yeah probably. the cat is better since it makes 3 bodies that block.I Tend to think that the creature packages that control decks bring in against Red are pretty bad universally though.

Is mono red still running 4x phoenix?

Or something more like this? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-red-aggro-46320#paper

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Is mono red still running 4x phoenix?

Or something more like this? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-red-aggro-46320#paper

0 Phoenix in the 75. My list is a lot like that one you linked. 22 lands though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

0 Phoenix in the 75. My list is a lot like that one you linked. 22 lands though.

Looks like I actually own a standard deck in paper then.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, the challenger deck covers a lot of that...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so this guy in the top 8 of the limited GP targeted his opponent with Homarid Explorer for some reason, his opponent milled 3(instead of 4), and they've gone a full turn since and have been trying to figure out what to do about it for like the last 5 minutes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If I flicker a Sun Titan with an Animate Dead on it, would I be able to target the Animate Dead in the grave when putting the ETB effect on the stack?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

so this guy in the top 8 of the limited GP targeted his opponent with Homarid Explorer for some reason, his opponent milled 3(instead of 4), and they've gone a full turn since and have been trying to figure out what to do about it for like the last 5 minutes

Presuming the deck was shuffled properly, one random card from it is as good as any other. It would be a reasonable "fix" to just mill the fourth card now. Alternatively, just leave it as-is after handing out warnings.

Is someone making a big deal about having to mill the "correct" card or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlternateNu posted:

If I flicker a Sun Titan with an Animate Dead on it, would I be able to target the Animate Dead in the grave when putting the ETB effect on the stack?

Yes. After whatever is doing the flicker resolves, first state-based effects are checked, see an aura that's not attached to anything, and put it in the graveyard. Then you put triggered abilities in the stack and choose a target for Sun Titan's ability.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

Presuming the deck was shuffled properly, one random card from it is as good as any other. It would be a reasonable "fix" to just mill the fourth card now. Alternatively, just leave it as-is after handing out warnings.

Is someone making a big deal about having to mill the "correct" card or something?

I'm not sure why it took so long(we could only hear the commentators), but ultimately what happened was they left it as is. It didn't really matter since the guy who played the Explorer had also played a Dread Shade on T3 and the other guy didn't really do anything and just died to those two within a few turns.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hey, so PSA, mashing shift-enter during your attack phase in Arena actually makes you swing with everything into your oppoonent's full board instead of passing priority like in every other phase :thumbsup:

edit: still went 7-1 in any case and got another Huatli, my 4th Muldrotha and a Yawgmoth's Vile Offering. What dumb sultai reanimatory things can I do in arena?

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 7, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Top 16 from the standard SCG open.
http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/StarCityGamescom_Classic/2018-05-06_standard_Baltimore_MD_US/1/

Rip Scarab God
:sad:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Nice, the first place deck is rocking 16 expensive mythics. Nice.

Only 540+ bucks if you buy it tonight! (It will be more tomorrow)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 7, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Nice, the first place deck is rocking 16 expensive mythics. Nice.

12. Heart of Kiran is only around $2.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tainen posted:

12. Heart of Kiran is only around $2.

It makes up for that online where it's almost $20 because there's no challenger decks.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I can't wait until Kaladesh rotates so I can play cool standard decks on MTGA... its like, oh they have some cool ideas... wait no, theres kaladesh cards in there. Lately I've just been playing 5 color good stuff and killing people with Teferi and Darigaaz and God Pharaoh Bolas.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the challenge deck and build the UR Wizards deck. That way I have a gateway into monored if I really want to delve deeper into it.

When rotation comes around, what's leaving standard? Is it just Kaladesh block, or is Amonkhet block going too?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Kaladesh and Amonkhet blocks are both leaving.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Good. Lets me keep my priorities straight. Don't really want to invest a lot into either of those for now. I think I'll stick with a budget deck until rotation and then maybe get a little more serious with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

A Moose posted:

I can't wait until Kaladesh rotates so I can play cool standard decks on MTGA... its like, oh they have some cool ideas... wait no, theres kaladesh cards in there. Lately I've just been playing 5 color good stuff and killing people with Teferi and Darigaaz and God Pharaoh Bolas.

They are adding Kaladesh next month according to rumors so this weirdo meta isn't gonna be around for much longer

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Four copies of History of Benalia in the first place finisher. Maybe now I can get rid of my foil copy. I'd really like to pick up some Walking Ballistas instead.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mcmagic posted:

What's your list? 'll be playing Monored at GP Birmingham next week because I've been playing it for half a year and can't be assed to gather all the WB cards from various friends. I've been teching out my list on MTGO; right now it seems like the lower to the ground you can go, the better. I've dropped the Phoenixes as well but I am still on 23 lands due to 2 Chandra maindeck, with 2 Glorybringers and 2 Siege-Gang commanders in my sideboard as my most expensive cards.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 7, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I got a chuckle out of Sperling saying how loving dumb it was for Aaron Forsythe to actively root against people playing a stupid loving card he oversaw WOTC printing.

A Moose posted:

They're adding Kaladesh at some point. They already have the cards going back to SOI on there, they just haven't bothered to implement them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I think something went wrong with the AI this draft.

I can't wait to go 3-3 with this! :negative:

e: 7-2, lost in round 1 to a bw zombie deck that was even more nuts than mine and then in round 5 to a crash. mirage mirroring a mastery for lethal was fun

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 7, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Wording aside, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria is a loving stupid card.

1) He can't target lands with his -3 ability even though his entire character is wrapped up in him using an ability like that on a land.

2) He untaps lands, which makes no sense since his inability to recover the previously mentioned land is why he's wandering around looking like a hobo.

3) His ultimate is dumb and doesn't do anything all that great for a ultimate that takes forever to reach (I think 5 turns to activate it is the most of any PW) given that he's never getting to 8 without your opponent being effectively dead, but not actual dead. It should just win the game on the spot in some manner to save time in the event you have an opponent who refuses to concede to control (there are a lot of players like this).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

3) His ultimate is dumb and doesn't do anything all that great for a ultimate that takes forever to reach (I think 5 turns to activate it is the most of any PW) given that he's never getting to 8 without your opponent being effectively dead, but not actual dead. It should just win the game on the spot in some manner to save time in the event you have an opponent who refuses to concede to control (there are a lot of players like this).

:thunk:

flavor aside, teferi's ultimate is the most relevant ultimate I have seen in years. It is "I win the game" over a few turns like you said, and it's mere presence means teferi demands an answer. He's control's trump card against various midrange decks, and the opponent will either be forced to attack into him over and over again or just lose straight up. Also trying to get teferi off the board and playing around settle the wreckage at the same time is basically impossible.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Twice now, I've been able to resolve Nissa against a newly cast Teferi, and run a hasty forest into him.
It's the best feeling.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I bought some Dragon Shield matte black sleeves and some clear inners. I'm facing the same problem the Prof did in his video where the inner peeks up off of the bottom of the card, and it's maddening. What's especially odd is that I got some Dragon Shield clear matte sleeves (to protect the cards in an old board game) recently and I had no trouble at all. This deck has some beat up cards, so just using the clears isn't an option.

Has anyone had any luck with different inners with Dragon Shields? I don't want to spend literal hours trying to get these to behave, but I also don't want to drive around and waste money on inners that don't fit either.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AnEdgelord posted:

They are adding Kaladesh next month according to rumors so this weirdo meta isn't gonna be around for much longer

So once Aether Revolt is printed and Arena is Actual Standard will they give you Vault progress for all the banned cards?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I bought some Dragon Shield matte black sleeves and some clear inners. I'm facing the same problem the Prof did in his video where the inner peeks up off of the bottom of the card, and it's maddening. What's especially odd is that I got some Dragon Shield clear matte sleeves (to protect the cards in an old board game) recently and I had no trouble at all. This deck has some beat up cards, so just using the clears isn't an option.

Has anyone had any luck with different inners with Dragon Shields? I don't want to spend literal hours trying to get these to behave, but I also don't want to drive around and waste money on inners that don't fit either.

what inner sleeves do you use? i've never had any problems with kmc perfect fits.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lone Goat posted:

So once Aether Revolt is printed and Arena is Actual Standard will they give you Vault progress for all the banned cards?

And then it will rotate out again.

I don't know if I buy them adding older sets. I'm not even sure it will support proper standard.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

They said the current plan is to turn cards that are banned into wildcards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

1) He can't target lands with his -3 ability even though his entire character is wrapped up in him using an ability like that on a land.

2) He untaps lands, which makes no sense since his inability to recover the previously mentioned land is why he's wandering around looking like a hobo.

There's a good chance his story is gonna involve getting that place back this time so I assume the untap lands is a reference to that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

What's your list? 'll be playing Monored at GP Birmingham next week because I've been playing it for half a year and can't be assed to gather all the WB cards from various friends. I've been teching out my list on MTGO; right now it seems like the lower to the ground you can go, the better. I've dropped the Phoenixes as well but I am still on 23 lands due to 2 Chandra maindeck, with 2 Glorybringers and 2 Siege-Gang commanders in my sideboard as my most expensive cards.

I don't have the Chandra's main because they are too bad on the draw. My list is the same creatures as the list Sickening posted with 4x Strike 4x Shock. Saturday I played 3x fight with fire main and sunday I played 1x Fight and 2x Abrade because I lost to GPG Saturday in Swiss but I didn't end up playing against it... I'm also on 2 Glorybringer in the board and that isn't changing. Siege Gang is interesting. I couldn't find room for them but they might be correct. What matchups are they really great in? Maybe as a finisher against GB? They seem situational against WU since they are terrible if they have fumigate and awesome if they have a bunch of settle's and cast outs... I'm sure I will run this back next weekend so I will probably run it through a few leagues on MTGO this week and see if I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I have yet to have an opponent not instantly scoop when ulting him and flashing back Memory.