Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

gently caress it

WMOTYC: Samoa Joe vs Roman Reigns, WWE Backlash 5/6/18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

WMOTYC: Samoa Joe vs. Roman Reigns from Backlash.

3rd

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WMOTYC: Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe, WWE Backlash 5/6/18

I'll nominate it. Nothing but restholds and it was a match that hurt both participants more than not having a match at all.

e: Ha, beaten. Consider this an Nth then :v:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

:laffo: Reigns is gonna get a third WMOTYC for a PPV main event in a row. I'm glad I was sleeping and missed the entire show

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM: Rollins/Miz
WMOTYC: Nia/Alexa
WMOTYC: Charlotte/Carmella
WMOTYC: Roman/Joe

I can't remember the last time a show fell off the cliff that badly after a hot opener. Total garbage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KungFu Grip posted:

WMOTYC: Samoa Joe vs. Roman Reigns from Backlash.

Agreed. Holy poo poo that tone deaf booking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

I can't remember the last time a show fell off the cliff that badly after a hot opener. Total garbage.

I could list off a bunch of WCW PPVs but WCW fans were at least smart enough to stop coming when the company kept insulting them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Benne posted:

Agreed

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I could list off a bunch of WCW PPVs but WCW fans were at least smart enough to stop coming when the company kept insulting them.

Deep roster of talent but bad booking? The only thing keeping them from being WCW is the fact they are actually making money not losing money

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Deep roster of talent but bad booking? The only thing keeping them from being WCW is the fact they are actually making money not losing money

WCW made more money than any company in wrestling history before they ran their fanbase off!

It's literally impossible for WWE to go out of business but hey maybe they can surprise us.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
As much as that sucked we aren't on the same continent of wcw at its worst

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

WCW made more money than any company in wrestling history before they ran their fanbase off!

It's literally impossible for WWE to go out of business but hey maybe they can surprise us.

They could lose a lot of TV money which might not kill them but would pretty much cripple them. Not gonna happen on the next contract but man if they go to say Fox with this kind of TV that might be the last big contract.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

:laffo: Reigns is gonna get a third WMOTYC for a PPV main event in a row. I'm glad I was sleeping and missed the entire show

Not just in a row, but within a 30 day period on top of that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Just remember that it wasn't when WCW was at their worst that they started running off fans. The booking of this show sounded more like Superbrawl 99 or Uncensored 99 than NBR or Halloween Havoc 2000. Shows that could have been good and somewhat satisfying but booked in completely insulting ways.

Both may have received 3 WMOTYCs too!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Just remember that it wasn't when WCW was at their worst that they started running off fans. The booking of this show sounded more like Superbrawl 99 or Uncensored 99 than NBR or Halloween Havoc 2000. Shows that could have been good and somewhat satisfying but booked in completely insulting ways.

Both may have received 3 WMOTYCs too!

I feel like you've been on this WWE IS FOLLOWING THE WCW PROPHECY for a long while now and wwe is still coasting along fine and making money and has a huge network subscriber base

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, just updated the OP and Backlash managed to get three WMOTYC nominations put in :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like you've been on this WWE IS FOLLOWING THE WCW PROPHECY for a long while now and wwe is still coasting along fine and making money and has a huge network subscriber base

I don't think I've ever said anything like this. The most I've ever critiqued their business plan is that they'd be making way more money if they stuck to PPV and used the Network as a supplemental thing. In fact I've been one of the staunchest defenders of the Reigns push and the positive business indicators behind it. I also said it was literally impossible for them to go out of business on this same page.

What I am doing is making fun of WWE's fans who come to these shows to get poo poo on by saying WCW fans were smarter.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nth MOTYC For Okada-Tana and HM for Ospreay-Kushida

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 7, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, just updated the OP and Backlash managed to get three WMOTYC nominations put in :stare:

You missed the HM noms for ospreay/kushida

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

You missed the HM noms for ospreay/kushida

Added it in now. Was sure I had already done that but maybe I overwrote it or forgot to save the edit? Anyway, it's there now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Have we ever had a company put a show with 2 5 Stars matches put on a show a month later with like 3 1 star or dud matches? Not just normal TV but an actual big show?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Have we ever had a company put a show with 2 5 Stars matches put on a show a month later with like 3 1 star or dud matches? Not just normal TV but an actual big show?

NJPW Destruction in Fukushima with the dire Elgin/Suzuki match was a month after the G1 finals.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Depending on how you want to count "show", the three night sprint of the end of the G1 27 produced a five star, a six star, and a five and 3/4ths star match for each night's main event, and then at Fukushima a month later they literally had three matches below one star and the highest rating was three and a quarter. That first Destruction show last year was a loving mess of a thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WM X didn't have two ***** matches, and KOTR 94 wasn't the next month but it was the next show and it sure was bad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

OldTennisCourt posted:

WCW's downward spiral was amusingly awful. WWE's downsward spiral is a 28 minute match with 24 minutes of rest holds to get heat on Samoa loving Joe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I block that destruction show out of my mind cause it was so bad lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Depending on how you want to count "show", the three night sprint of the end of the G1 27 produced a five star, a six star, and a five and 3/4ths star match for each night's main event, and then at Fukushima a month later they literally had three matches below one star and the highest rating was three and a quarter. That first Destruction show last year was a loving mess of a thing.

Plus Dave probably won’t actually go that low on Backlash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus Dave probably won’t actually go that low on Backlash.

Here's the last line of his play by play

quote:

We'll be talking about this later tonight. And during awards season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah then he’ll probably give it a bunch of 2s. He’s easy on WWE.

Like he described the Nia/Alexa match “unlike the first match which wasn’t good this had no heat”, but he still gave that a 2 3/4.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Have we actually hit a point where somebody is claiming Dave has a pro-WWE bias now? :stare:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Have we actually hit a point where somebody is claiming Dave has a pro-WWE bias now? :stare:

You're way late on that. Dave's had a pro-WWE bias ever since he had the gall to claim Roman has ever had a good singles match.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The scale for WWE is totally different. It has to be really, truly unwatchable to get below 2.

It means a 2 is still really bad, but don’t expect to see a bunch of 1s or anything.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One event ago, at the Greatest Rumble, Dave gave

Matt+Bray vs Bar 2
Jeff/Jinder .5
Bludgeon Bros/Usos 2
Taker/Rusev 2
Brock/Reigns 1

Half the card didn't get above a 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2 is like the baseline for a bad WWE match. Below that, it means it was either an uninteresting squash or a botchy mess or something notably bad.

Although now that I've seen more comments from last night this one might actually break him and just get duds all over.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hasnt Dave has said multiple times he grades WWE on a curve because the quality is so terrible?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Hasnt Dave has said multiple times he grades WWE on a curve because the quality is so terrible?

No.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Hahaha what

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there was absolutely an observer radio within the last idk 8 months where dave talked around the fact that a middle-of-the-road new japan match would be like a 4 star match if it was in the wwe

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and he's said it on Twitter too.

He hasn't said "it's because WWE sucks" obviously but he definitely has lower standards for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I've seen the Different Standards thing too but I don't remember his full rationale