Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Alright, that's an interesting change to clusters- you get up to 4 shots, and you can do two attacks with it, as long as it's different targets. Concussions are 3 shots but range 1-3, both are 3 die missiles- it seems like these are kinda meant to be the basic missiles for use with things like A-wings and Z-95s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I suspect there will be charge juggling upgrades showing up sooner or later. Probably some way of converting force into it, for example, or a tech piece that lets you add a charge when you take a green maneuver maybe.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arquinsiel posted:

I suspect there will be charge juggling upgrades showing up sooner or later. Probably some way of converting force into it, for example, or a tech piece that lets you add a charge when you take a green maneuver maybe.

I'm expecting just a straight up "Reload action" upgrade for things with missile or torpedo slots. Kinda like the Y-wing's.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

With no pilot skill fuckery allowed and natively the highest pilot skill in the game, plus ship abilities and pilot abilities that are at worst on par and arguably better than in 1.0, and the ability to use force points as focus tokens in a pinch, Vader in 2.0 is significantly better than before.

The equivalent of 42 points (upgraded) sounds about right, if not a little low.

Still no hard 1 though so certified garbage tier

Starvipers had better keep their funky barrel roll!!!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think afterburner having charges is fine- it's a 100% free action that you can do when you're stressed.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Also, no more 360 degree firing remember? Repositioning is now MUCH better, because basically everything is arc-dodgeable. Ships that can do Boost+Barrel Roll infinitely would be insane with what we know, so limiting it makes sense.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There's a lot of emphasis on limited charges for actions and regen, which is good. Regen in particular needed to die in a fire. Now it's more about getting value out of them here and there within the standard patter of play, rather than having them outright displace the standard pattern of play.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally got off my rear end and magnetized/fixed the remainder of my ships, minus two of the eight T-70s I have. I'm hoping to leave them overnight to dry but have to figure out a way to keep the cats from dragging them off.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 7, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Oh man, Afterburners only has two charges? That's unfortunate.

Ships die fast as heck too, having a couple of clutch boosts will be good, two charges hopefully keeps it affordable, and it's another resource to be managed - fewer no brainer decisions keeps the game interesting.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Anyone else entering the Gen Con tournament? I have no hope of getting anywhere, but I’m hoping for cool 2.0 swag.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

Ships die fast as heck too, having a couple of clutch boosts will be good, two charges hopefully keeps it affordable, and it's another resource to be managed - fewer no brainer decisions keeps the game interesting.

If that card didn't have charges it would probably allow for a lot of easy running away which I don't think is intended.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Haha ha, the big mini gaming Facebook group I'm part of just had it's meltdown over 2.0. Chief exhibit is the guy who apparently own five of a lot of ships and feel ripped off not having everything he needs in a conversion kit. While stating it's more expensive than a 40k edition change (he claims to have a 40% off on GW stuff, too, for added lulz ).

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I honestly can’t understand how people are upset about 2.0. I was super skeptical of it but everything I’ve seen is positive. Oh no I have to spend $50 to make ALL MY SHIPS valid. Oh no there’s new rules and I have to buy them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are you new to tabletop wargames? This is pretty mild by comparison to most. TBH the weirdest thing is people being happy about it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH the weirdest thing is people being happy about it.
How many times have you flown arced ships against a fenn ghost this year?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Zero. The local meta still seems stuck on Rey Falcon + Lowhhrick. No idea why :shrug:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
We have a resident quad Wookiee guy and then of course a lot of Ghost+Fenn players with a sprinkling of Nym+Miranda and then whatever holds a lot of Harpoon Missiles. I havent played a real game in a while but I’m going to wait it out where I can until 2.0. Maybe when I get Saws Renegades and the Reaper I’ll jump into some 1.0 games but overall September cannot get here fast enough.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you new to tabletop wargames? This is pretty mild by comparison to most. TBH the weirdest thing is people being happy about it.

I’m not new. GW basically got if of my army las edition so that was like a grand out the window

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Smegmalicious posted:

Oh no I have to spend $50 to make ALL MY SHIPS valid.

People keep saying this and all I can say is: Bullshit. I don't doubt that FFG is going to do their best, but there's no loving way they're going to be able to balance the game to the point that all 49 ships are going to be valid and competitive. The overall balance is going to be much better than it used to be, and I doubt ships like the HWK are still going to be outright trash, but expecting every ship in your arsenal to be competitive in the new edition is just asking to be grossly disappointed.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I don’t think every ship will be equally competitive. What I’m saying is $50 to update my collection is a steal.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've got this plastic toolbox that I keep my X-wing modification tools in, and I'm considering using it to carry ships instead of lugging my entire collection to each league. Has anyone bought/made custom-fit foam before? I feel it'll be much better than the ships just moving around freely.

I originally used a pelican case (camera sized) with pick and pluck foam when my collection was small, but now I’ve upgraded to a full on rifle case. I think I’ve got about 40 ships and I’m usin 60% of the case. The pelican case would be really good for traveling with a smaller set

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

People keep saying this and all I can say is: Bullshit. I don't doubt that FFG is going to do their best, but there's no loving way they're going to be able to balance the game to the point that all 49 ships are going to be valid and competitive. The overall balance is going to be much better than it used to be, and I doubt ships like the HWK are still going to be outright trash, but expecting every ship in your arsenal to be competitive in the new edition is just asking to be grossly disappointed.

Not competitive, playable. It's $50 to make almost all your ships of one faction 2.0 compatible, which is super cheap.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Interesting you call the HWK outright trash, when only last year someone won the competitive Polish National with one. No ones expecting every ship to be perfectly balanced, but by significantly flattening the power curve and putting a higher premium on aces, I think you're going to see good players being able to choose the ships they like, stick with those ships and put in the reps and get winning results out of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The HWK is trash without TLT.

I'm expecting most of the ships to be decent, some to be exceptional, and very few to be outright trash - and for the first two to switch around with a decent amount of regularity, as they flex prices to keep balance.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've heard that the HWK changed to a 2-die PWT in 2.0.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
With 2.0 coming up i bet i'm not the only newbie here who's confused by all the TLAs so here's a URL where you can look them up: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/129794-x-wing-slang-glossary/

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bistromatic posted:

With 2.0 coming up i bet i'm not the only newbie here who's confused by all the TLAs so here's a URL where you can look them up: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/129794-x-wing-slang-glossary/

I'll try to be more clear in the future.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No worries, wasn't meant to be a personal jab. It's something that's bound to happen with this sort of game i think.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ok so barrel roll has 3 placement options, that's alright.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Here is a half decent google doc with a lot of the 2.0 info. Most we know, but there is some new stuff in there.

If the translation is right new Palp is Pre-Nerf Palp.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBD6vYa6cXMFsQNdbfSK1kjQdscdsQ_aLfMTbGqRsfY/mobilebasic

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Here is a half decent google doc with a lot of the 2.0 info. Most we know, but there is some new stuff in there.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBD6vYa6cXMFsQNdbfSK1kjQdscdsQ_aLfMTbGqRsfY/mobilebasic

No, don't freak out they paraphrased it badly. Ships can spend Palps token as if it were their own. I.e. It's a force token anyone can use, but it still only turns one eyeball result.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Raged posted:

One thing the google doc doesn't include are the revealed dial on a number of ships.

This image reveals the dials for the T-65 X-Wing (which we've all seen) and the B-Wing.

This image reveals the dials for the VT-49 Decimator and TIE Adv. Prototype.

This image reveals the dials for the M3-A Interceptor and EDIT: StarViper

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 7, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Is there a reason cards like stealth device use charge counters rather than just flipping like s foils?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
The devs mentioned that they wanted to get away from flipping cards to signify being used up. Instead, those types of cards will use ⚡ tokens signifying use while flipping cards will be a feature used solely on double-sided cards (e.g. S-Foils).

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

CODChimera posted:

Is there a reason cards like stealth device use charge counters rather than just flipping like s foils?

Probably easier to write clean interactions. You would want abilities that mess with charge counters but probably none or very few that affect configurations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tacopocalypse posted:

One thing the google doc doesn't include are the revealed dial on a number of ships.

This image reveals the dials for the M3-A Interceptor and Kihraxz Fighter.

How sure are you that's the kihraxz? I'd actually guess it's the starviper due to the 3 sloops and lack of a kturn. If it is, the blues are a good improvement.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Also, they want things to have a use cost. Imagine you’re getting shot at, and you look at your green dice, then look at your stealth device card with two charges left on it. How badly do you think you need an extra green die for this attack? Enough to burn a charge?

It puts strategic decisions back into the game, risk versus reward, and ensures that, eventually, fights just become slugging matches.

I almost wonder if a design goal was “no match should ever go to time.”

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

hoiyes posted:

How sure are you that's the kihraxz? I'd actually guess it's the starviper due to the 3 sloops and lack of a kturn. If it is, the blues are a good improvement.

Lol you right you right.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

hoiyes posted:

No, don't freak out they paraphrased it badly. Ships can spend Palps token as if it were their own. I.e. It's a force token anyone can use, but it still only turns one eyeball result.

That’s a gigantic palp nerf. Force tokens are underwhelming right now unless you either have a way to regenerate them quickly, like Luke, or unless there are going to be awesome force ability cards which we haven’t seen yet.

Speaking of Luke, he is going to be damned hard to kill with R2D2 onboard. His force ability means he has a mini focus literally every time he is targeted. That seems very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smegmalicious posted:

That’s a gigantic palp nerf. Force tokens are underwhelming right now unless you either have a way to regenerate them quickly, like Luke, or unless there are going to be awesome force ability cards which we haven’t seen yet.

Speaking of Luke, he is going to be damned hard to kill with R2D2 onboard. His force ability means he has a mini focus literally every time he is targeted. That seems very strong.

I imagine Palp will be a bit less expensive- being able to have free-floating focus flips in critical situations is still pretty good, and if you really want to you can get him and vader on a decimator for two flips.

I think people want Palp to be as ridiculous as he was, but IMO this is probably for the best.