Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a men's baselayer to use as sun protection when sitting on my kayak. I want something super lightweight, cheap, and with like a 35" inseam. They are going to get a lot of rough treatment and I will wear them for hiking as well, so they are going to see some thorns. I think in the weight I want any of the fancy brands will get shredded too fast to be reasonable. I need them long as hell for ankle protection. My current pair leave a little two inch gap of exposed skin at my ankle and I am not going to wear even the thinnest socks while on the water. I tried slathering the area with sunblock last time but it didn't work out well at all. I would like to spend no more than like 50 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any resources they'd recommend for preparing for the CDT?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

I am looking for a men's baselayer to use as sun protection when sitting on my kayak. I want something super lightweight, cheap, and with like a 35" inseam. They are going to get a lot of rough treatment and I will wear them for hiking as well, so they are going to see some thorns. I think in the weight I want any of the fancy brands will get shredded too fast to be reasonable. I need them long as hell for ankle protection. My current pair leave a little two inch gap of exposed skin at my ankle and I am not going to wear even the thinnest socks while on the water. I tried slathering the area with sunblock last time but it didn't work out well at all. I would like to spend no more than like 50 bucks.

They’re not cheap, but take a look at any of Railriders’ ultra light pants. They’re made form a super tough rip stop nylon; I’ve had several pairs for almost 10 years, and the only visible wear on any of them came from wearing them while riding my old Harley and the pants leg his the header and melted. I’ve even sunk fishhooks through them into my leg beneath without it leaving a permanent hole in the pants. My favorites are the Eco-mesh pants ($86), for their incredible light weight, full length mesh zip-up leg vents and the durable insect shield repellent, and the Versatac Ultra Lights or the regular Light weight version. Tons of pockets, with bellows pockets that have side zips so you can get into them while seated ($110). Both will last for many years of hard use.

Also, they make some fantastic sun shirts for about $60. Light and fairly durable for the weight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sweet_jones posted:

To the backpack question, the advice I'd add is to get something used to start.

This is great advice, to which I'll add that you can also rent a pack. Many outdoors suppliers have rentals of a variety of kit. Renting a few different options may help to gel exactly what you like and don't like, for a relatively low total cost.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought 600' of Amsteel blue and I think I have made a mistake, I should have ordered much more. Why? I don't know. It calls to me to make more things.
I had to resist buying a full reels of that stuff and zing-it. I can end up wasting a huge amount of time on DIY stuff.

On a related note, does anyone want a capillary hoop stove? I may have gotten a little carried away:
https://i.imgur.com/tS9Q3KX.gifv
I can send one (or five) for whatever it costs to mail them out. Otherwise my extras are probably going to end up on the trash when I move.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What features are now standard on backpacks that weren't there three years ago?

I ask because I noticed that REI is hocking this at a steep discount https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130881/deuter-act-lite-50-10-pack-mens and it seems like it first showed up in 2015.

Also seems a good first step towards slimming my gear profile down.

Only problem is that the markdowns end today, so I gotta figure out if I want it, and then pull the trigger immediately. :argh:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What features are now standard on backpacks that weren't there three years ago?

I ask because I noticed that REI is hocking this at a steep discount https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130881/deuter-act-lite-50-10-pack-mens and it seems like it first showed up in 2015.

Also seems a good first step towards slimming my gear profile down.

Only problem is that the markdowns end today, so I gotta figure out if I want it, and then pull the trigger immediately. :argh:

That looks like a great pack for a great price! If you're in the market, if be hard pressed to see how you could go wrong there.

Really the only "new" backpack features are trimming down weight with dcf fabric and removing pockets/etc. ~4 lbs for that pack and >100$, 1.5 lbs for a Zpacks Arc haul for 300$. Depends on what you're doing, how often, and how much saving 2.5 pounds of weight is worth to you.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CopperHound posted:

I had to resist buying a full reels of that stuff and zing-it. I can end up wasting a huge amount of time on DIY stuff.

On a related note, does anyone want a capillary hoop stove? I may have gotten a little carried away:
https://i.imgur.com/tS9Q3KX.gifv
I can send one (or five) for whatever it costs to mail them out. Otherwise my extras are probably going to end up on the trash when I move.

I've wanted to make one of these for a while, just from a curiosity perspective. What design did you base these on?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

armorer posted:

I've wanted to make one of these for a while, just from a curiosity perspective. What design did you base these on?
Most of them are based on tetkoba's eCHS with v8, apple juice, and sparkling wine cans. https://youtu.be/wTp5zTOYPHQ

I tried a couple of another style, but it uses 3 cans, takes more effort, and doesn't seem to perform any better.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I'm alcohol stove curious. I'd throw you some money for an extra. I'll pm you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

bongwizzard posted:

Is this a sit on top where you'll be getting wet? I'm not sure what you're asking for really exists. Unless you're out for massively long amounts of time, why wouldn't sunscreen work? I would do shorts + sunscreen, then carry a drybag with a pair of pants if you think they are necessary.

You could dry drypants, but you're gonna roast in them:
https://www.nrs.com/category/2573/men/dry-pants

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bongwizzard posted:

Look at fishing gear. Its usually long sleeved, sometimes with hoods and its meant for being outside in warm weather on the water so you shouldn't roast but you will be protected from the sun. Not sure they really make a whole lot of leggings/pants but I'm sure you can find something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

They’re not cheap, but take a look at any of Railriders’ ultra light pants. They’re made form a super tough rip stop nylon; I’ve had several pairs for almost 10 years, and the only visible wear on any of them came from wearing them while riding my old Harley and the pants leg his the header and melted. I’ve even sunk fishhooks through them into my leg beneath without it leaving a permanent hole in the pants. My favorites are the Eco-mesh pants ($86), for their incredible light weight, full length mesh zip-up leg vents and the durable insect shield repellent, and the Versatac Ultra Lights or the regular Light weight version. Tons of pockets, with bellows pockets that have side zips so you can get into them while seated ($110). Both will last for many years of hard use.

Also, they make some fantastic sun shirts for about $60. Light and fairly durable for the weight.

Thanks, I had never heard of that brand before.

I really want something skintight though, I am looking for some sun sleeves and am going to try to wear them on my legs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

Is this a sit on top where you'll be getting wet? I'm not sure what you're asking for really exists. Unless you're out for massively long amounts of time, why wouldn't sunscreen work? I would do shorts + sunscreen, then carry a drybag with a pair of pants if you think they are necessary.

You could dry drypants, but you're gonna roast in them:
https://www.nrs.com/category/2573/men/dry-pants

Because sunscreen is gross as gently caress when you got hairy legs. I also like them for hiking to get a little tick protection and to keep the thorns from loving my legs up as much. Tights+shorts is the best spring to fall hiking thing ever.

Verman posted:

Look at fishing gear. Its usually long sleeved, sometimes with hoods and its meant for being outside in warm weather on the water so you shouldn't roast but you will be protected from the sun. Not sure they really make a whole lot of leggings/pants but I'm sure you can find something.

I have been and there is nothing. I have a great sun hoodie already and my current tights work great but for the ankle gap.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

Because sunscreen is gross as gently caress when you got hairy legs. I also like them for hiking to get a little tick protection and to keep the thorns from loving my legs up as much. Tights+shorts is the best spring to fall hiking thing ever.

I have been and there is nothing. I have a great sun hoodie already and my current tights work great but for the ankle gap.

I'd just get some 20-30$ ripstop nylon hiking pants off academy with built in SPF protection:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-laguna-madre-pant#repChildCatid=5027516

Or some walmart 6$ ankle length running/excercise pants (like ankle length gym shorts), which are great for kayaking in colder weather.

With loose ankles, they'll flip over your shoes so no gap, and nylon dries out and doesn't absorb water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You people and your pants, someday you will see the light and the truth that is tights! The last thing I want is baggy fabric all over the place.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cycling tights might work, but they're usually pretty spendy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Cycling tights might work, but they're usually pretty spendy.

Thanks! I had not thought of that and even a quick look seems to show a bunch that look long enough. I assume I do not need a padded rear end but the idea of a little sewn-in butt pillow seems appealing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Thanks! I had not thought of that and even a quick look seems to show a bunch that look long enough. I assume I do not need a padded rear end but the idea of a little sewn-in butt pillow seems appealing.

This is a bad idea.

Tights, yes. Cycling tights no. The chamois (padded but cushion) will get wet and despite its best effort to wick moisture it will act like a sponge and keep your taint soggy. It's also padded in a specific region to cushion the rear end bones on a narrow bicycle saddle which will likely not do much sitting in a kayak. You can get them without padding. Also, most cycling tights are intended for cooler weather so they might be too warm but it depends on the pair.

Maybe look into running or surfing stuff if you want skin tight sun protection. I feel like there have to be men's spf tights out there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My dreams of butt padding, shattered.

It really shockingly how hard its been to find thin tights with an extra long inseam. I’ve somewhat shift my attention to trying to find a pair of like 2 mm neoprene wading booties with a good sole. I have a pedal drive for my kayak so I need something a little substantive to protect my feet, but my current sneaker style waiding shoes are very gross feeling when wet but not submerged.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was thinking of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/119259/pearl-izumi-pursuit-attack-bike-tights-mens

which have no chamois and are just an overlayer for other bike shorts.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

My dreams of butt padding, shattered.

It really shockingly how hard its been to find thin tights with an extra long inseam. I’ve somewhat shift my attention to trying to find a pair of like 2 mm neoprene wading booties with a good sole. I have a pedal drive for my kayak so I need something a little substantive to protect my feet, but my current sneaker style waiding shoes are very gross feeling when wet but not submerged.

A quick amazon search pulled these up. Surfing/diving rash guard legging/tights. Most seem UPF50 with good coverage.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_bc_7?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens%20UPF%20tights&node=10208130011

UPF mens running tights, most seem UPF50
https://www.amazon.com/TM-MUP79-WTL...mens+UPF+tights

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I found a Gregory Paragon 58 never used for less than half price and picked up the Olicamp pot/stove setup someone recommended in the thread on sale as well, thanks for the suggestions guys.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

I was thinking of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/119259/pearl-izumi-pursuit-attack-bike-tights-mens

which have no chamois and are just an overlayer for other bike shorts.

Those are the exact ones I was looking at!

The issue isn’t finding tights, it’s finding ones that come with an extra long inseam so they bunch up at my ankles when I am sitting down in my kayak.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone know of any lightweight waterproof banjos? Kind of like those carbon fiber guitars... I'd love to bring one backpacking and camping instead of my deering good time.

FCKGW posted:

I found a Gregory Paragon 58 never used for less than half price and picked up the Olicamp pot/stove setup someone recommended in the thread on sale as well, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Cool! I think you'll be really happy with that combo, should serve you really well!

I've got a few slightly lighter titanium pots, but I just use that Olicamp XTS pot anymore. It's the perfect size to stow my fuel canister & stove inside, and the silicone lid is perfect for boiling. Makes boiling go so much faster and doesn't rattle around in my bag like the pot/frying pan lid combo.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

This seems like the best thread to ask - I have a stainless steel water bottle, that's a few years old.

I recently busted it out of storage and the gold-coloured ring around the opening smells very strongly of varnish. Tried washing it out with vinegar but no luck.

Am I right to assume this bottle is no good to use now?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Why does a stainless bottle have a gold colored ring that isn't just tea/coffee stain?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If it's stainless you could hit it with Barkeeper's Friend and a bottle brush, couldn't hurt to try if you're going to toss it otherwise.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
My guess is that it's got some sort of liner on the inside that's breaking down. My guess is that it's probably not 100% stainless but some other cheap alloy.

I wouldn't use it, a used Gatorade bottle is absolutely the way to go. Durable, cheap, easily replaceable, and ultra lightweight.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What is this bottle used as someone’s pissjug in the past?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I seem to be the wrong shape and temperature for sleeping bags. I have very wide shoulders, so I often feel cramped, also I’m claustrophobic, so that doesn’t help. My feet are always hot and my shoulders are cold, what are the alternatives?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I wanted to say quilts instead of a sleeping bag, but I don't know if that would help you with your cold shoulders. vOv

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Klymit KSB Oversized is a 20 degree down mummy bag with a wider top portion than normal to fit wide shouldered individuals. It’s made with elastic baffles that help with claustrophobic feeling because the bag hugs you but you can still stretch out when needed.

https://www.klymit.com/ksb-20-oversized-down-sleeping-bag.html

It’s kind of a niche bag so there not a ton of official reviews out there but customer reviews are generally positive. You can find it under $200 online.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

yaffle posted:

I seem to be the wrong shape and temperature for sleeping bags. I have very wide shoulders, so I often feel cramped, also I’m claustrophobic, so that doesn’t help. My feet are always hot and my shoulders are cold, what are the alternatives?

Manufacturers specify the circumference of the sleeping bag at shoulders / hip / toebox and sometimes hood. There is quite a lot of variation so I think the first step is to make sure you've tried bags on the wider end of the shoulder girth spectrum. I think the widest I've seen from retail manufacturers are around 64-66", so if a bag specced around there is still too narrow then more drastic measures might be required. But many or most bags have shoulder girth <= 60" so you may have just not tried a wide enough bag yet. I know enlightened equipment lets you customize your bag or quilt dimensions, with shoulder girth up to 68". Other cottage industry companies may also let you customize fit. For common brands, I think Marmot tends to run somewhat on the wider side.

Having a bag with a wider hip and shoulder circumference can also make rolling around inside the bag easier, which may help if you feel claustrophobic in mummy bags; although in general, a snug bag will have higher thermal efficiency. The widest shoulder widths are often only available on the taller models, so if you are shorter but with really wide shoulders this can be an issue. But a tall bag probably won't be a huge issue since your feet aren't getting cold and anyway you can always stuff a jacket down there or something.

I prefer quilts except for winter conditions, but be careful about shoulder width there too. Switching from a bag to a quilt can superficially solve fit problems for people with wide shoulders, but if the width is too narrow you'll have a hard time properly tucking the sides of the quilt down which will make drafts a bigger problem which will make your cold shoulder problem much worse. So be sure to size a quilt so its wide enough to both cover your shoulders, and drape comfortably around your sleeping pad. Quilts are also good if your feet are too hot while the rest of you isn't, since its easy to just stick a foot out.

If you are getting cold shoulders after finding a properly fitting bag or quilt the standard cold sleeping checklist applies:

1. Are you protected from drafts? If not tweak your quilt tucking or bag/hood cinching and shelter system to try and fix this, and consider if a liner or light bivy make sense for you.

2. Is your sleeping pad warm enough? If it isn't, it is very hard to modify any other part of your sleep system to fix this. A warmer pad is often the most efficient way to fix cold sleeping issues.

3. If you are still cold after addressing 1 and 2 you may just need more insuation in your bag, or need to wear more insulation while sleeping.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Honestly the cold shoulders are from hating having my arms constrained by the bag...

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Look into everything Morbus describes but also think about your sleep system holistically to include what you are wearing. Having separate fleece sleeping clothing was a game changer for me - my torso wasn't touching sweaty /oil soaked clothing and my arms had dry warm coverage on them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

yaffle posted:

Honestly the cold shoulders are from hating having my arms constrained by the bag...

I would look for a different fitting bag then if you feet constricted. Are you tall, wide or just have really broad shoulders? I only ask because I never feel constricted in my mummy bag but then again I never get claustrophobic. It may just be a matter of getting a different size bag or a model that has slightly more girth around the shoulders. Try heading into an REI or similar outdoor store if possible and get into different bags to find one that fits you better. Your sleep system is important especially if you're in conditions where you need to stay warm overnight.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Killingyouguy! posted:

This seems like the best thread to ask - I have a stainless steel water bottle, that's a few years old.

I recently busted it out of storage and the gold-coloured ring around the opening smells very strongly of varnish. Tried washing it out with vinegar but no luck.

Am I right to assume this bottle is no good to use now?

Put a teaspoon of sodium percarbonate (example: 365 Oxygen Whitening Powder), put that in a sink, boil some water, slowly pour boiling water in, stand back. Pour some more after the fizzing stops. Rinse thoroughly after a half hour. I do this monthly to my mugs, to remove tea/coffee deposits.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Verman posted:

I would look for a different fitting bag then if you feet constricted. Are you tall, wide or just have really broad shoulders? I only ask because I never feel constricted in my mummy bag but then again I never get claustrophobic. It may just be a matter of getting a different size bag or a model that has slightly more girth around the shoulders. Try heading into an REI or similar outdoor store if possible and get into different bags to find one that fits you better. Your sleep system is important especially if you're in conditions where you need to stay warm overnight.

Just as a heads-up with REI: Anniversary sale from May 18th - May 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anyone use the Petzl e+LITE as a primary headlamp? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my heavy AAA-eater and leaning towards that one based on weight, but I don't have a good sense of what 50 lumens looks like, but it's 1/4 what the Tikka puts out