Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I need to try Tiamat again since I've got Squall's BSB2 now, but ugh I just have so many bad memories of getting him down to like 30% only to have him go apeshit and drop like 3-4 AoE nukes in a row before I can even get a heal off, and that is the kind of poo poo that I hate most about this game. Magicite fights take way too long as is and having every single boss design be "easy as poo poo until you almost beat it and then suddenly you're hosed" is just garbage and every time I've considered just walking away from this game, it's because of that.

I like everything else enough to keep playing, but man I wish they'd come up with ways to make content that is both fun and challenging - I'm not a game dev but I feel like there has to a way to keep people from facerolling everything aside from insanely unfun enrage modes and mass dispel spam.

That's kind of how most FF bosses are in all the games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One pull on the Earth banner, I got Ignis's Chain, and Tifa's USB, BSB, and LMR (dupe but more +earth armor). Ka-ching!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cool, got this beefman that I passed up on before the fest. Still wish I'd get ingus chain since I have both his BSB's but oh well

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Need Ixion tech or, really, any Earth Tech at all that isn’t slapdashing multi-element stuff into Earth without any boosts. So I pulled.

...never pull :shepicide:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Need Ixion tech or, really, any Earth Tech at all that isn’t slapdashing multi-element stuff into Earth without any boosts. So I pulled.

...never pull :shepicide:

Counterpoint:

Always pull. :hellyeah:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So if I'm looking purely at "making Ixion less of a pain in the rear end," is this earth banner better or worse than the II banner? The chain is a huge draw, but there seems to be a lot more chaff on this banner and less +earth gear.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I guess if your existing earth relics and / or support core are magical I could see a potential case for II over Earth banner against Ixion but if we just strictly compare them against each other in a vacuum the really unsurprising conclusion is that banner with 14 earth relics is miles better for earth stuff than the one with half of the banner being other stuff.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 6, 2018

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I can definitely vouch for Galuf USB on Ixion. Makes the fight much less of an annoyance.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pulled on Earth, went 3/11 with Dorgann USB, Dorgann LMR, Galuf BSB.

Wish I'd snagged that Chain or more than 1 earth boost, but the USB looks pretty solid and an en-earth LMR is nice. Galuf's BSB is sorta boring and the crit fix is going to be redundant in some setups but eh.

edit: And now I'm faced with the conundrum of whether or not to LD Dorgann. Doublecast Knight is definitely good, especially whenever we get the earth version of Assault Saber, but I already have Marche and Beatrix dived. He does cover a different element, though.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 6, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
pulled on earth, got Dorgann BSSB
didnt want to pull on earth again since I already have a lot of them there. So pulled in FF2 again and got Leon LMR and Minwu SSB

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pulled for chain got 3 +earth relics instead. Can't be too disappointed with this tbh

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Wish I'd snagged that Chain or more than 1 earth boost, but the USB looks pretty solid and an en-earth LMR is nice. Galuf's BSB is sorta boring and the crit fix is going to be redundant in some setups but eh.

edit: And now I'm faced with the conundrum of whether or not to LD Dorgann. Doublecast Knight is definitely good, especially whenever we get the earth version of Assault Saber, but I already have Marche and Beatrix dived. He does cover a different element, though.

I'd say dive, because Marche covers both elements competently and Dorgann is Earth Beatrix. Your Holy and Earth teams are now solid, grats~

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Goondolences on only getting a top USB, a 6* earth sword and the corresponding LMR with a single pull. Hopefully the future holds better pulls for you.

You should try Ixion before contemplating legend dives. Maybe you don't even need to LD him.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Goondolences on only getting a top USB, a 6* earth sword and the corresponding LMR with a single pull. Hopefully the future holds better pulls for you.

You should try Ixion before contemplating legend dives. Maybe you don't even need to LD him.

Oh I'm happy with the pull, the "eh" was just for Galuf's BSB. Getting probably the second-best 6* on the banner and a useable LMR ain't bad at all, I've just been chasing that dumb earth chain for a while so it's always mildly disappointing to see a disco ball that isn't the one you really want.

And yeah that's a good point, I'll give Ixion a whirl first. I've got a huge pile of 5* motes right now, but that's not a good reason to spend them unwisely.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Dorgann dive is really solid, but note that you will not want to use Earth Saber on him most likely. His USB gives a Def boost, which along with some combination of wall/protectga/gaia cross means that he will max out Earthbringer pretty well.

As prev noted, I rock an R5 Earthbringer on him (for the extra chase hits) along with Gaia's Cross for the def buff. He puts in a lot of work, and I don't regret his dive, but I would definitely try him out without the dive first.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oryp posted:

Dorgann dive is really solid, but note that you will not want to use Earth Saber on him most likely. His USB gives a Def boost, which along with some combination of wall/protectga/gaia cross means that he will max out Earthbringer pretty well.

As prev noted, I rock an R5 Earthbringer on him (for the extra chase hits) along with Gaia's Cross for the def buff. He puts in a lot of work, and I don't regret his dive, but I would definitely try him out without the dive first.

Do you run him with a gauge-boosting RM or an entrust bot? Seems like it would take a long time to get him going without a free slot for Lifesiphon.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I pulled on the earth banner.

Two 6* relics! I might actually get a chain!

2x Tifa USB. Didn't even get +earth items.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Do you run him with a gauge-boosting RM or an entrust bot? Seems like it would take a long time to get him going without a free slot for Lifesiphon.

Depends on the fight, if he is going to be taunting many attacks with Gaia Cross, then Knight's Charge or whatever its called for gauge on hit is great. Otherwise I would generally use MM/DMT to start with USB, or entrust, yeah. Although assuming an earth weakness it doesn't take too long to build gauge with 5* abilities, and it is still good DPS wise with his en-earth LMR. Also, if you dive, the LM1 is only better than LMR if you are starting with USB right away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If I use Ignis's BSB for earth reflect barrier, and Tifa's USB for nonelemental reflect barrier, does it go with the one that was put up last or does something weird happen?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

One pull on the Earth banner, I got Ignis's Chain, and Tifa's USB, BSB, and LMR (dupe but more +earth armor). Ka-ching!

I got 3/11!

Guy Record Materia
Guy Record Materia
Emperor Record Materia

gently caress this gam

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's just bad RNG. I have the same problem with Terra. Keep at it.

Also don't put that RM on him. Always give him +sword damage or +ice damage.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do double-cast Legend Materia and Record Materia interact? Does the likelihood of a double-cast increase if you use both, or does it only count the higher one? Can you ever get a triple-cast if you have both?

I've been using the Spellblade double-cast RM on a legend-dived Butts, and based on your post I've probably been wasting the slot...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Andante posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do double-cast Legend Materia and Record Materia interact? Does the likelihood of a double-cast increase if you use both, or does it only count the higher one? Can you ever get a triple-cast if you have both?

I've been using the Spellblade double-cast RM on a legend-dived Butts, and based on your post I've probably been wasting the slot...

A separate roll for each, nondependant on the results of other rolls. So a 25% doublecast LM and a 13% doublecast RM mean you do a single cast (.75*.87) 65.25% of the time, a triplecast (.25*.13) 3.25% of the time, and a doublecast 31.5% of the time.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Bruceski posted:

A separate roll for each, nondependant on the results of other rolls. So a 25% doublecast LM and a 13% doublecast RM mean you do a single cast (.75*.87) 65.25% of the time, a triplecast (.25*.13) 3.25% of the time, and a doublecast 31.5% of the time.

Oh, okay. In other words, it isn't a blanket waste of a slot to use two sources of double-cast on the same character. Thank you, good to know!

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Me: Hey there, Earth Banner. I could REALLY use that Chain. Like, it would make the difference between not beating Ixion at all and maybe sub-30'ing it. Here's 50 mithryl.

Earth Banner: Galuf USB, Galuf LMR, Ursula LMR, and Chain

Me: Nice doin' business with you.

Why aren't they all this way?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Remember autotarget rules. Just had a guy in the raid quadcast Blazing Strike. The last three casts of it went onto the fire gigas

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I thought they said they fixed that in one of the updates, that follow up abilities would hit the same target as the original ability, but even if I manually target something the follow up abilities always auto-target something else instead. It's dumb and it makes Kraken accidentally extra difficult because it keeps wasting doublecasts and follow-ups on the tentacles.

Speaking of targeting, the MP Proud Clad fight's gimmick of doing four hits in a row got old real fast. That would've been a nice place to allow Draw to actually do something. Draw itself isn't a terribly unbalanced ability, it's the fact that retaliate means you counter AND dodge the attack that means they have to remove it completely to avoid neutering high-end bosses. I love drawtaliate but I wish it worked like in classic FF games and you took AND did damage so they could balance around it more often. And then High Retaliate or something could allow you to avoid the attack and counter.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

This should probably be added to the OP, it's one of the most commonly asked questions.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Maybe something along the lines of:

Does this stack?
  • Buffs/debuffs generally only stack if they affect a different "set" of stats - an ATK/MAG boost stacks with both ATK and MAG boosts, but not another ATK/MAG. Full Break stacks with Breakdowns, but not another skill that reduces ATK/MAG/DEF/RES. And so forth. There's a few ultra-niche exceptions to this, but for 99.9% of cases it holds true. Multiple buffs or debuffs suffer diminishing returns past a softcap, however, so stacking too many won't be very efficient.
  • Protectga and Shellga stack with all other DEF/RES buffs and aren't subject to any soft caps. They're important to have, as of such.
  • Elemental Resistance equipment does not stack, it only takes the highest resistance off of all your equipment. (For example, if you're wearing a piece of armor with a Minor Water Resistance and the Gigas Armlets, which have a weakness to Water, the Minor Water Resistance would overwrite the weakness. If you were wearing a Moderate Water Resistance accessory, though, that would be the resistance that applies.)
  • Status resistance equipment does stack, though the specifics involve a lot more math than you'd really generally want to go into. If you have two moderate resists, they both apply, however.
  • Doublecast Legend Materia and Record Materia roll independently, so they technically stack. If both go off, you get three casts, not four. (In other words, each Doublecast proc gives you +1 casting, and triplecast procs give you +2 castings.)
  • Elemental Resistance Legend Materia sometimes stacks - single-element resistance (for example, Warrior of Light's LM1) does not stack with equipment, but all-element resistance (for example, Relm's LM2) is a flat damage reduction and does stack with equipment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe something along the lines of:

Does this stack?
  • Buffs/debuffs generally only stack if they affect a different "set" of stats - an ATK/MAG boost stacks with both ATK and MAG boosts, but not another ATK/MAG. Full Break stacks with Breakdowns, but not another skill that reduces ATK/MAG/DEF/RES. And so forth. There's a few ultra-niche exceptions to this, but for 99.9% of cases it holds true. Multiple buffs or debuffs suffer diminishing returns past a softcap, however, so stacking too many won't be very efficient.
  • Protectga and Shellga stack with all other DEF/RES buffs and aren't subject to any soft caps. They're important to have, as of such.
  • Elemental Resistance equipment does not stack, it only takes the highest resistance off of all your equipment. (For example, if you're wearing a piece of armor with a Minor Water Resistance and the Gigas Armlets, which have a weakness to Water, the Minor Water Resistance would overwrite the weakness. If you were wearing a Moderate Water Resistance accessory, though, that would be the resistance that applies.)
  • Status resistance equipment does stack, though the specifics involve a lot more math than you'd really generally want to go into. If you have two moderate resists, they both apply, however.
  • Doublecast Legend Materia and Record Materia roll independently, so they technically stack. If both go off, you get three casts, not four. (In other words, each Doublecast proc gives you +1 casting, and triplecast procs give you +2 castings.)
  • Elemental Resistance Legend Materia sometimes stacks - single-element resistance (for example, Warrior of Light's LM1) does not stack with equipment, but all-element resistance (for example, Relm's LM2) is a flat damage reduction and does stack with equipment.

:discourse:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 7, 2018

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Should probably add something about crit buffs too, like

*Effects that set the critical hit rate or critical hit damage to a certain percentage do not stack and are known as crit fixes and crit damage fixes respectively. Abilities that have an innate critical hit rate or critical damage bonus (like Sky Grinder or Gaia Rush) have their bonuses added on top of fixes. So for example, using Gaia Rush (+20% crit rate) with a 50% crit fix results in a 70% crit rate.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Done. I'll work on cleaning up the bottom part of the OP soon and make it more cohesive.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They've been layering on mechanics for so long in this weird mishmash of ways they clearly didn't intend

I wonder if they'll ever just end FFRK and do an FFRK 2 kind of reboot. Do mobile games do that? Is that why there are 15 different FF mobile games

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

i love and also hate how much collective brain power is put into this stupid ftp gacha game

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Do not pull on FFII banner 2.

It’s been a while since we’ve had a banner this bad. That banner is garbage.

Don’t do it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Don’t do it.

I don't think I've ever pulled on the second banner of a regular event my entire time playing this game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Don’t do it.

Don't tell me what to do, Dad (he's not wrong its really bad).

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

what the hell are you guys talking about, it can't be that ba :eyepop:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They've been layering on mechanics for so long in this weird mishmash of ways they clearly didn't intend

I wonder if they'll ever just end FFRK and do an FFRK 2 kind of reboot. Do mobile games do that? Is that why there are 15 different FF mobile games

Some mobile games do that, and usually it ends horribly. Reboots alienate the whales you've already got and don't draw in enough new blood to make up for it. Terra Battle 2 comes to mind. Kingdom Hearts Unchained X/Union X comes to mind too, but that's more of a retooling from a website game to a phone game.

As for the constant FF mobile games, that's Square trying to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. Picross and the like have a niche audience in Japan, so Pictologica comes out. Theatrhythm sold, so release the whole game with each individual song as DLC. Someone in Square gets their panties in a knot about games needing story, so you have Brave Exvius and Mobius. (I never said they had good stories, just that they had stories.)

Before Tactics S and All The Bravest, Square stuck to actual "purchase this and play through it to the end like a normal video game" phone games but those never came out here. Nowdays, they've realized that gacha and microtransactions are where the money are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They put out ffxv mobile recently too, aparently it’s just straight up the full game but with playmobile people & graphics.

• Locked thread