Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The only good one I've ever been to is Ground Kontrol in Portland.

The rest have all been expensive, lovely places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Japfest was ok. I think they charge a bit much for entry, and while there was a good number of cars, a lot seem to be a variation on the theme of "lower too far on stretched tyres, then rev it up while parked and blowing vape clouds out the window".

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Have any of you ever used a stop leak product that works? My experience is limited at best with the last product I used being 20 years ago and they were crap at best back then.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KakerMix posted:

Know that your relationship is already over. If you are thinking "dang this is falling apart" then you don't have any choice nor responsibility, you are already on that path just waiting for the probabilities to collapse.
You don't have a choice to make, it's already been made. Might as well help it along.
Oh yeah, i know this poo poo is DIW

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You can start by saying gently caress NO to her son moving in, after that the situation might just solve itself.
Eh, I like the kid and it doesn't cost me much more to have him here for a few months and my mom wants to get him set up with his own place. I'm going to be moving when the lease is up at the end of the year anyways so there's an expiration date in place as it is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

keykey posted:

Have any of you ever used a stop leak product that works? My experience is limited at best with the last product I used being 20 years ago and they were crap at best back then.

The fundamental problem is that stop leak is designed to gum up small holes. Like, say, the fine ports in your radiator and heater core. So either it's ineffective, or it first plugs the outside leak, then the holes you want coolant running through.

In p71 news I finally get it towed over to my mom's (where my tools are) and ofc its loving raining. I'd grin and bear it but I don't want water getting in my exposed intake ports with the manifold off. Can't use the garage, because since I moved out she's put carpet down as a full floor rug and this is a messy job.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Subaru have an "official" stop-leak for the EJ25?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

The fundamental problem is that stop leak is designed to gum up small holes. Like, say, the fine ports in your radiator and heater core. So either it's ineffective, or it first plugs the outside leak, then the holes you want coolant running through.

In p71 news I finally get it towed over to my mom's (where my tools are) and ofc its loving raining. I'd grin and bear it but I don't want water getting in my exposed intake ports with the manifold off. Can't use the garage, because since I moved out she's put carpet down as a full floor rug and this is a messy job.

Wait, is it a thing that older women put carpets down in the garage? My mom insists on having a carpet in hers and it defeats the purpose of having a concrete slab to do park a car on or do work on

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've seen people here use old throw rugs, but they treat them as disposable and don't care how much fluid gets on them.

Even then... Carpet has no place in a garage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can see carpet tiles being good. They won't have much effect on rolling stuff across them, but still offer some insulation/padding, and it's easy to change individual ones as and when you trash them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

Well it's your father, so let's hope that day isn't any time soon.
As I get older -- and my job certainly isn't helping this notion -- I just get more and more aware of how quickly poo poo hits the fan. My friend's fiance's father was just killed in a freaking Lowe's parking lot. Some guys on a job nearby whipped into the lot and ran him over. His wife was waiting for him in the car wondering why it was taking so long, and then saw the flashing lights. All because some guy didn't pay enough enough attention due to being in a hurry, or being distracted, or whatever, someone goes from looking forward to his son's October wedding to being unidentifiable other than the shirt he was wearing. What in the gently caress.

quote:

Cats are assholes, but they are at least low maintenance assholes. Dogs are more fun, but you can't just leave out extra food and water and an extra litter box and take off for a weekend.
This is also very true. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future, but for the time being I'm good with allowing the pet numbers to trend downward, I think.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Queen Combat posted:

Yup. Subaru Coolant Conditioner.

Buddy of mine used it as a hail mary to try to stop a minor exterior headgasket leak on an RSX, and surprising enough it actually worked.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Enourmo posted:

It appears I'm a lovely poster before I've had a chance to wake up/grab some coffee. I meant for oil, not water since I didn't originally specify what type of fluid. I decided last weekend to grab my Mini from it's winter garage and it left me a nice surprise.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

And that was the first time I stuck my dick in a blender...

But far from my last :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The AC in my car took a poo poo like 3 years ago and I've just lived with it. Bought a recharge kit on clearance and gave ti a whirl. CHarge it up and when the compressor clicks on I can hear it leaking from the high pressure side. Should I futz with this repair myself or take it to be repaired? I've never used a UV dye kit to trace a leak but it looks simple enough.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What did that take to accomplish? I know I've seen people clean fresh-ish road paint off a bumper with WD-40 but I assumed that was because it was oil-based. Did you just polish it off?

I softened it up with the Dr. Colorchip second step, then finished it off with some Goof Off, then a buff and polish. Cannot tell anything was ever on it.

They were going to take it to the body shop next week, I don't know if the body shop would have tried to remove it, or just told them a respray was in order...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Carpet has no place in a garage.

:shrug: I've had a pair of indoor/outdoor woven carpets in my garage for over 10 years. The runner goes in between the two cars during the non-Winter months and the large oval one goes in front of the shelves. The carpet makes it nice to go out there without shoes, and the runner is easy enough to move when I need to do actual work.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, is it a thing that older women put carpets down in the garage? My mom insists on having a carpet in hers and it defeats the purpose of having a concrete slab to do park a car on or do work on

Eh, its a free extra room on the house when you're too old to care about garage oriented work.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, its a free extra room on the house when you're too old to care about garage oriented work.

The weird thing is that they're not too old, my dad does a lot of woodworking and household maintenance stuff out there. They put a tarp over the carpet so they could repaint the deck chairs...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Now that's just weird

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

600 grit on the linoleum seems to have worked. At least I can walk in the laundry room barefoot without ending up on my rear end.

:cheers:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

https://youtu.be/duWTfl4MJ1c

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
YOU GUYS

https://www.spin.com/2018/04/tool-music-clinic-brief-clip-new-music/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The ultimate VIP experience I had was hanging out with them in a bar and Adam showing that he could fit his wife's entire hand in his mouth. (Girlfriend? Camilla, not his current wife.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

But far from my last :allears:

Boy asks girl to call him when she gets out of jail.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:SPIRALING OUT INTENSIFIES:

Also I love that 3:30 is considered a "brief clip", a lot of bands that's an entire song

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
gently caress Indy.

Why the gently caress can't I buy a goddamn 6 pack at 9pm? No, instead I had to find a goddamn bar that was actually open on a loving Sunday and thank God it was a loving brewery so I could carry out a crowler.

gently caress you rhyno.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, its official. Hate my dad, he saw a porsche 962 driving on the road today

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MY MASTER PLAN PAYS OFF.

Yeah gently caress Indiana blue laws. And this stupid 12-6 Sunday poo poo everyone is jerking off over is dumb.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seminal Flu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Dang, Lando got moves.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ah. Gotcha. I default to everybody in the general chat thread being antis.

I'm waiting on my FFL getting back to me about getting his paperwork sent to QC10 and then building a pretty bitching 9mm 2 stamper. I think a 2 stamp scorpion is getting added to my want list too. That's pretty.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

MY MASTER PLAN PAYS OFF.

Yeah gently caress Indiana blue laws. And this stupid 12-6 Sunday poo poo everyone is jerking off over is dumb.

Gun store was open though :v:

I want to come back again for the race (next year maybe) but drat if that didn't piss me off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Gun store was open though :v:

I want to come back again for the race (next year maybe) but drat if that didn't piss me off.

Be glad the law changed. Last month they wouldn't have let you take the growler on sunday.

Edit: my neighbor just banged on my door at midnight. He left his garage open all day and somebody came in and took some of his poo poo. So he decided now was a good time to ask if anyone saw anything.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

Why the gently caress can't I buy a goddamn 6 pack at 9pm? No, instead I had to find a goddamn bar that was actually open on a loving Sunday and thank God it was a loving brewery so I could carry out a crowler.

Wait, WHAT? I thought Texas was bad - on Sundays, you can't buy beer until noon, and no liquor at all. The rest of the week, alcohol sales are 7am-midnight (Sat is 7am-1am). Bars can still operate 7 days a week, but last call is generally 1:45am, they can't serve after 2am, and all drinks must be consumed or poured out before 2:15am ("cups off the table").

Also, car dealerships have to close for one weekend day a week - either Saturday or Sunday. Carmax tried to get around that, but lost.

We have some other weird restrictions. Some counties are dry, some cities are dry, some cities are semi-wet for retail (beer/wine only), sometimes only parts of cities are wet (for years, the city of Dallas was dry for retail sales north of I-635). There's a shitload of "private clubs" in Texas where they swipe your ID on a credit card style machine that prints up a "membership form" that you sign before you can order alcohol. https://studybreaks.com/culture/texas-alcohol-laws-cant-live-with-em-pass-the-beer-nuts/ breaks it down pretty well.

Then you have some oddball places that got grandfathered. There's an old drive-in where you can order a burger and a beer to your car. Normally that's an open container violation, even if you're sitting in a parking lot (and possibly a DUI, depending on the cop - people have been popped for DUI when sleeping in their car just for having the keys within reach of them). That place used to be awesome, then the owner died and the sons took over. When pops Keller was around, there were always awesome cars and motorcycles there, daily, and it was loving packed. They officially banned motorcycles, unofficially classic cars are banned too if it looks like you may be congregating with others in the (MASSIVE) parking lot.

Texas is weird.

Queen Combat posted:

GM did for the Northstar; it's standard practice to throw it into any Northstar cooling system after doing the head gaskets (they're not an if, they're a when on the Northstar, much like Subarus). They're relabeled Barr's Stop Leak tablets.

nice. About time.

Pretty good chance I'm seeing A Perfect Circle in October. :swoon:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 7, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Wait, WHAT? I thought Texas was bad - on Sundays, you can't buy beer until noon, and no liquor at all. The rest of the week, alcohol sales are 7am-midnight (Sat is 7am-1am). Bars can still operate 7 days a week, but last call is generally 1:45am, they can't serve after 2am, and all drinks must be consumed or poured out before 2:15am ("cups off the table").

Until a month ago you couldn't buy carry out booze on sunday in indiana period.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

The only good one I've ever been to is Ground Kontrol in Portland.

The rest have all been expensive, lovely places.

Ground Kontrol was great, particularly as they had a few free play machines when I was there.

Not barcades, but for classic games, the pinball hall of fame is literally the only good gaming in vegas (I hate gambling). There was a good classic arcade is Astoria, OR, but apparently they went under last year.

Also, gently caress pollen. I want to rip my eyes out of my sockets and wash all the pollen out. Fuuuuuuuck. Also, my Kleenex budget is huge.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

Ground Kontrol

To Major Tom

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I was nearly T boned by a guy running a stoplight on my way to work, and my first reaction was to be upset because I still had to show up for work
:suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

Ground Kontrol was great, particularly as they had a few free play machines when I was there.

Not barcades, but for classic games, the pinball hall of fame is literally the only good gaming in vegas (I hate gambling). There was a good classic arcade is Astoria, OR, but apparently they went under last year.

Also, gently caress pollen. I want to rip my eyes out of my sockets and wash all the pollen out. Fuuuuuuuck. Also, my Kleenex budget is huge.

This place is pretty awesome. :10bux: to get in, all you can play. 18+ after 9pm weekdays, 21+ after 9pm Fri/Sat (city laws, as they have a bar).

As the name implies, everything is set to freeplay. They take pretty good care of their stuff too.

We have Barcadia here, but they didn't have that many games the last time I was there (aside from skeeball). The game side of the one in Dallas seemed more like a background than anything, though they do have a life size Jenga (which is cool as poo poo). There's another bar I used to check out occasionally that had several pinball machines, but the last couple of times I was there, they were unplugged. Staff told me they were having trouble finding anyone to maintain them (seeing as Barcadia and Free-Play have pinball machines, along with a few bowling alleys, there's obviously someone that maintains them locally - betting they just don't want to pay for it - cool bar otherwise though).

nm, wanna go halfsies on a pallet truckload warehouse of Kleenex? Allergies are kicking my rear end harder than ever this year.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh man I sleep so loving well on camping holidays. Apparently I don't snore at all either, I reckon it's the humidity, the house must be dry as a nuns cooch compared. Might look into getting a humidifier for the bedside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just finished painting my flat roof with sealant to try and stop it leaking. It appears that this stuff is like POR15 and I probably should have worn long sleeves and trousers not shorts and a T-shirt. just wearing gloves was not enough!

STR posted:

nice. About time.

Pretty good chance I'm seeing A Perfect Circle in October. :swoon:

I have never been a massive Tool or APC fan but I love the new APC album.

I only started listening to it at first because a song got into my discover playslist on Spotify last week and it has animated art on Spotify and I'd never seen that before.

• Locked thread