Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

nothing wrong with junk food fiction. If you like a book and people tell you to read something else the correct response is "who the hell are you to decide which books are real"

Look if you're not reading a book about a small new england liberal arts college professor who is kind of a lot like the author suffering from ennui who is trying to bang a student to feel young again and accomplished, then you're not reading a real work of literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody who says "anybody who says video game stories are good has never read a book," has never read a book.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Thinkin about those mean beans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27L62bn__Pg

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody who says "anybody who says video game stories are good has never read a book," has never read a book.

Yeah, you don't need qualifications to know video game storytelling is awful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't wait for ready player one: the video game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games could stand to learn a bit about pacing imo

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I can't wait for ready player one: the video game

Vincent fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 7, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Now you've just got me thinking about Titanfall 2 again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

No game should take more than 20 hours to beat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So I beat and platted Adventure Pals tonight and...meh. I wish this game was better but it's not. It wasn't offensively bad (I mean I played through all of it) but it's also a game I wouldn't have platted if it took any real effort whatsoever.

The best thing about the game is the platforming controls, which is good seeing as it's a platformer. Everything feels smooth and fun and it also features the rare and coveted ability to wall jump up using only one wall. The problem is the game doesn't really ever push you in terms of platforming. There are parts that are annoying, sure,, but mostly it's pretty straightforward and the versatile controls feel wasted as you easily get to out of the way corners of the map that contain nothing because the developers didn't think about that stuff. The levels overall are just kind of bland and while they do keep throwing in new ideas, a lot of these are just kind of more annoying than fun (last level is an underwater level!)

The worst thing about the game is the combat. Holy poo poo is it bad. Like, in general platformers are better when they don't try at combat and just have enemies as one hit things. This goes far enough to make the fighting suck and doesn't do a thing more. You're only moves are attack and a dodge. Enemies have tells when they attack but it's a 2D platformer and they crowd around you and overlap and you can't see them and they just beat you around. The enemies also tend to have way too much life so combat is mostly you mashing square and hopefully actually being able to see the enemy well enough to dodge. The game also has a ton of combat. Hell, it has five arenas. If the way your life bar worked wasn't so generous this might have been a deal breaker but I pushed through.

Other than that the presentation is mixed. The graphics are nice, bright and smoothly animated but nothing exceptional. It really wants to be Adventure Time but it is no Adventure Time. This is even more true in the story department which plays like someone trying to make Adventure Time after having it described to them and is just lame and feels wacky and random for the sake of it. The music is not bad, but also not terribly interesting and gets old fast because it gets reused a bunch.

Overall it's just a pretty mediocre affair and I should've waited for it to get much cheaper.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with reading junk food fiction as long as you recognize it as such and aren't afraid to get your feet wet in works that are more...

idk, can't really think of a way to phrase it without it coming off all hipstery and poo poo. My buddy smoking crow made a thread in the book barn several years ago that was basically just him yelling at people to go read real books and stop reading genre fiction, but I'm conflicted. Idk. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoy this book even though my expectations for it were quite low and that, if I had to list any particular criticism of it, I'd say that the pacing is very strange because a chapter can focus on an entire day and then have maybe 2 sentences describing night and the next morning before continuing with its previous pace.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I take exception with the idea that genre fiction can't be "real" books whatever the hell real is even supposed to mean there

Like, books can be bad but don't judge them by their cover, as the saying goes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mostly I just read non-fiction and genre fiction classics (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Dune) recently though so

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Mostly I just read non-fiction and genre fiction classics (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Dune) recently though so

the other day i read the last books in the animorphs series at gbs's behest and it was bad, but it wasn't like awful. you know it's all in poor taste but it's still thrilling and page-turning

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i mean gently caress my username and several of my avs are based on wh40k books so i think my opinion on schlock (i.e. it is Good as long as it is recognized as such) is pretty clear

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I try to keep a healthy mix.

Idk what on stranger tides is considered, I assume it is genre fiction, but I read through that years ago if only because I wanted context for the strange relationship between that book, disney, and lucasfilm.

Right now I've got Master & Commander and this Fat Cat trilogy, and I'd like to read the Ice Company books if I can ever feel comfortable enough with reading French to get through any of them, though those books are almost guaranteed to be genre fiction seeing as they're this series of like 100 books that were being put out at a rate of 1 book every 3 months.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the idea that fiction that belongs to a genre has to be bad is super dumb, please enjoy your fat cat murder mysteries and french post-apocalyptic sci-fi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the puyo puyo rhythm game for the dreamcast loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5VWyG2xKw

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But not super smash bros.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

anyone who acts like genre fiction is trash is just mad that their english lit degree mainly qualifies them to work in academia lol

#stemlyf

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

That last post was a joke because all degrees are largely meaningless. But really, read whatever you like. Even Playboy articles!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"You liked Mass Effect? If you want a good story, just read a book."

okay

Rendezvous with Rama posted:

“Some women, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their breasts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless; but when they started to move, and sympathetic vibrations set in, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction, after the transit of a well-upholstered lady officer through the control cabin.”

this is good lit

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My favorite board game of all time, Castles of Burgundy, is around an hour once everybody has played before so things go smoothly

Late to board game chat but I love Castles of Burgundy. Our first attempt lasted forever but that's cuz everyone was learning at the same time.

Last game night, I spent 4 hours playing Terraforming Mars and I think half that time was one guy trying to relearn the game every time his turn came around. Two people had played it before, me and the other guy were new. After my first turn, I kinda had it down and the other guy did not.

Although I think the most annoying "And the game took forever" story I have was with Dark Moon, a deception game. I'd say a normal game is about 45-60 minutes. I played it once where it took double that time because two people just kept having a side conversation so after every. single. action. They had to ask what just happened and every fuckin turn got played out twice cuz of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tbf Clarke was in the closet all his life so depictions of straight men were like "this guy over here loves rear end and titties just like me, the author, who likes rear end and titties. And over here are two men in a polyamorous relationship but did I mention rear end and titties?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have yet to read any classic sci-fi literature that isn't every bit as trash as the worst videogame stories

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I read Kim Stanley Robinson’s entire Mars trilogy as a 13 year-old and even at that age I came away from it thinking “drat, this guy is horny.”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's half the reason I read SF when I was 13

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Sci fi is the worst genre.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I read Kim Stanley Robinson’s entire Mars trilogy as a 13 year-old and even at that age I came away from it thinking “drat, this guy is horny.”

Yeah he spends that whole trilogy getting his rocks off

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

where can i find the .isos for these books

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oddium posted:

where can i find the .isos for these books

plasticroms dot com

delete after 24 hours.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

get on my level

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

get on my level

There is only one book anyone needs in handheld cart form.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We're living in a sci fi cyberfuture alright

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

univbee posted:

There is only one book anyone needs in handheld cart form.

.... wonder if the Nintendo censors let all the incest and that one queen who hosed donkeys in the old testament through.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

.... wonder if the Nintendo censors let all the incest and that one queen who hosed donkeys in the old testament through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0TOQ1BF-M&t=129s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I like that there are lunatics who make 80 hour games where nothing really happens, it's a hard thing to pull off in any other medium

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Long games rule is my opinion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Wow I'm sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat" - me, never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah but you also hate everything video game related except dragon age origins

• Locked thread