Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Greggster posted:

So uh dumb question

But the first chapter, is that how Gustavus Adolphus died?
No. A bunch of Imperialist cav saw a guy who was obviously of high rank (he was dressed well and had a bunch of attendants) come reeling out of the smoke on horseback. One of his arms was shattered. One of the Imperialists rode up beside the man and pressed his pistol into his ribs. He fell off his horse. There was a skirmish around the dying man then an Imperialist dismounted and finished him off.

It was only several days later that Wallenstein learned this had been the King of Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
There's a guy with an 11th century conical helm and a sword with the scabbard on his back and the sword has no pommel. Also the discussion of how amazing the gun forging is is giving me an aneurysm.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Did Rome or Constantinople have the biggest sacks?

Baghdad.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Religious institutions like the Roman Catholic Church and Southern Baptist Convention have official theological thought on alien contact, too. :v:

So what were their conclusions?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Greggster posted:

So uh dumb question

But the first chapter, is that how Gustavus Adolphus died?

If I remember Kagemusha right, it IS (one version) of how Takeda Shingen died. Which may be where this guy picked up his inspiration.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The Battle of nations are streaming on Twitch right now is anyone is interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/combatgo

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

No. A bunch of Imperialist cav saw a guy who was obviously of high rank (he was dressed well and had a bunch of attendants) come reeling out of the smoke on horseback. One of his arms was shattered. One of the Imperialists rode up beside the man and pressed his pistol into his ribs. He fell off his horse. There was a skirmish around the dying man then an Imperialist dismounted and finished him off.

It was only several days later that Wallenstein learned this had been the King of Sweden.

That's very cool, thanks!

I was going for a joke (that he got shot by a japanese sniper) but I guess I phrased it poorly, I am however very grateful for the honest and knowledgable answer though!

To follow up; What are some good books about the 30YW? I'm very interested in that particular conflict and this thread has been a very enjoyable read with everyone dropping huge posts about it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Was the microwave oven really inspired by an early radar tech's chocolate bar melting, or is that apocryphal? Also has anybody used a military radar to pop popcorn or suchlike? Pretty sure an AN/SPY-1 would make a bag of microwave popcorn just detonate.
Last page, but according to legend some dude on an Aegis cruiser got a Jiffy Pop foil pan and dangled it on a broomstick over the radar array. The popcorn just exploded immediately, so the dude panicked and threw everything overboard before running back into his shop. A moment later, he got a call from the CIC, asking him to look outside and see if there was anything there. Apparently his Jiffy Pop had shown up on the screen as a 3-mile wide contact 100 yards off the stern, before disappearing a couple seconds later.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChubbyChecker posted:

So what were their conclusions?

That sentient alien life was undoubtedly created by God just as everything else was, and that sentient aliens undoubtedly have souls and the faith should be open to them, if we can communicate with them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

That or the fall of Chang'an during the An Lushan revolt. As far as Rome v. Constantinople is concerned, the question would be, which one?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
actually if God created life on other worlds He would have sent prophets and Christ to those other planets

can you imagine the doctrinal differences by interstellar distances and time? it would probably trigger a holy war

you could probably build a really good Ted Chiang short story out of it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC there were some Russian radar masts that would straight-up kill you if you were working on them when they were turned on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Greggster posted:

I was going for a joke (that he got shot by a japanese sniper) but I guess I phrased it poorly, I am however very grateful for the honest and knowledgable answer though!

To follow up; What are some good books about the 30YW? I'm very interested in that particular conflict and this thread has been a very enjoyable read with everyone dropping huge posts about it.

peter wilson, cv wedgewood are the overviews. wedgewood is by now very very dated and she's just flat wrong about some things, but she's a better writer than wilson. after that if you want something specific ask me.

tilly and pappenheim got sniped, but they got sniped with small cannon. and a polish sniper got gustav adolph in the shoulder, but he lived.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
What do you think about Geoffrey Parker?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

What do you think about Geoffrey Parker?
he's a good historian but iirc (?) his Thirty Years War is a collection of essays

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Greggster posted:

Also, Peter Englund if you can read Swedish or Finnish. Sadly his works on the 30yw and its aftermath have not been translated to English. Ofredsor/Suuren sodan vuodet is the first book.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

I bet these dudes have to use calf inserts. I bet they think a sack is something you carry stuff in.

I bet they don't even shoot pistols out of windows.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I know I'm late to the Me-262 chat - but the reason that Hitler was adamant about it being a bomber was that he wanted to use them to bomb and harass the allied landings in France that they knew were going to happen sooner or later. They (correctly) expected the allies to have total or near total air supremacy, making the older planes unable to slow the landings down. A new jet fighter, on the other hand, could be fast enough to zip in and out with a reasonable chance of survival. This could slow the allied landings down in the crucial first few hours and days, when a counterattack could drive them into the sea.

Hitler was also worried that even if the Me-262 would prove a excellent bomber hunter, they couldn't be produced in enough numbers to make a dent in the allied bombing fleets. This proved to be correct in hindsight.

All of this actually sounds super reasonable, but Hitler wasn't around to write glossy memoirs blaming all his military failures on someone else. His generals mostly were, though. :shrug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Geisladisk posted:

I know I'm late to the Me-262 chat - but the reason that Hitler was adamant about it being a bomber was that he wanted to use them to bomb and harass the allied landings in France that they knew were going to happen sooner or later. They (correctly) expected the allies to have total or near total air supremacy, making the older planes unable to slow the landings down. A new jet fighter, on the other hand, could be fast enough to zip in and out with a reasonable chance of survival. This could slow the allied landings down in the crucial first few hours and days, when a counterattack could drive them into the sea.

Hitler was also worried that even if the Me-262 would prove a excellent bomber hunter, they couldn't be produced in enough numbers to make a dent in the allied bombing fleets. This proved to be correct in hindsight.

All of this actually sounds super reasonable, but Hitler wasn't around to write glossy memoirs blaming all his military failures on someone else. His generals mostly were, though. :shrug:

Do you have a citation for this? As I understand it, according to Speer, Hitler wanted the bomber for high altitude revenge attacks on Britain.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...0hitler&f=false

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Firstscion posted:

The Battle of nations are streaming on Twitch right now is anyone is interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/combatgo

Either the Napoleonic Wars really went low key or back to basics or I missed this and hope somebody got a highlight video of the for this year.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

Do you have a citation for this? As I understand it, according to Speer, Hitler wanted the bomber for high altitude revenge attacks on Britain.

In theory it could have done either mission (I don't know what that 1000km range turns into once you strap a bomb load onto it) but in neither case are a handful of fighter-bombers lobbing a couple of 250-500kg bombs at high speed and low accuracy going to actually achieve anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

In theory it could have done either mission (I don't know what that 1000km range turns into once you strap a bomb load onto it) but in neither case are a handful of fighter-bombers lobbing a couple of 250-500kg bombs at high speed and low accuracy going to actually achieve anything.

You're correct that it's not going to achieve anything, but in fairness to the Führer's fever dreams if you got together some pilots and properly trained them for high speed semi-precision attacks you could do some poo poo. "lobbing a couple of 250-500kg bombs at high speed" roughly describes some of the crazier mosquito raids like the one where they blew the gently caress out of that Gestapo prison. If you could train them up well enough to get the bombs into even a 100x100 meter patch then, say, a dozen of them coming in low and fast could, for example, put a hurting on the Parliament building, Westminster, Buckingham Palace, etc.

Would this end the war? No, but they were being conceived of as revenge weapons and blowing up a handful of culturally or political buildings would qualify.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Been reading a lot about the american civil war lately and what are junctions and turnpikes? Also did foreign militaries observers participate since technically it was a rebellion and not a real war between nation states

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We found some documentation that my Aunt Betty had been typing up on our family tree. One of my great uncles (who's actually still alive) was drafted in 1946. During his initial inspection, they realized that they made a mistake and he was deferred as the head of household. When they tried to send him back, he refused because "the wheels are already in progress" and he figured that even if he went home they would probably just change the draft rules for the next war and bring him back anyway. They just kept him stateside throughout his service to minimize the chances of him being killed.

He ended up being right, since the Korean War was just a few years away.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trench_Rat posted:

Been reading a lot about the american civil war lately and what are junctions and turnpikes? Also did foreign militaries observers participate since technically it was a rebellion and not a real war between nation states

Turnpikes are roads. Usually actual prepared roads and not dirt tracks. Junctions are intersections. Observers don't participate, they just observe. There were observers on both sides, though, since you can always learn something from observing an actual campaign that you can't from a dry academy. There were American observers in the Crimean war, for example.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

peter wilson, cv wedgewood are the overviews. wedgewood is by now very very dated and she's just flat wrong about some things, but she's a better writer than wilson. after that if you want something specific ask me.

What did Wedgewood get wrong? I got the feeling being a better writer cut both ways, as it seemed like she tended to wax poetic in the later stages of the book/war.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fangz posted:

I'm not really convinced about the value of the 262 as a jabo versus something like the FW-190 or even the Ju-88 with 262s flying top cover.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Trench_Rat posted:

Turnpikes were toll roads. (You blocked the road with a long pole like a pike where the tolls were collected.) A lot of the major roads around Manasas today were the original turnpikes back then (Warrenton / Fauquier-Alexandria are now Rt 29 Lee Highway, named in the early 20th century).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

he's a good historian but iirc (?) his Thirty Years War is a collection of essays

His bibliography mentions the old SPI wargame Thirty Years Quad. (Quad = four scenarios/maps in one box), which makes his book a must-have for this old grognard.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

three pages in and everyone's dressed like it's the middle ages, the pig faced bascinet is from the 1400s

running edit:

page 23: medieval walls of city, not modern.
the elector palatine was not beaten in the palatinate, he was beaten in bohemia, in the suburbs of prague
medieval sword, a dude of that status would be carting a rapier around on his hip

page 26: more medieval helmets

page 27: are there no muskets yet? why are these men carrying crossbows, they aren't civilians trying to defend their homes

pages 27-28: somehow, against all odds, the same dumbasses who produced all this also know what a document case looks like. How?

page 29: now the sword is too modern, that's post 1640s

:allears:

This could be a blog

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

C.M. Kruger posted:

Dunno about popcorn with radars but in one of the old OSHA threads somebody posted a translation of a Russian medical paper about how a repair crew died horribly after being blinded and microwaved by an air defense radar that got turned on while being repaired because the VSS was demanding 100% uptime after being embarrassed by Mathias Rust.

This also got posted in the Cold War thread. TL;DR don't get microwaved by a missile defense radar

Fangz posted:

I found it in "The Last Year of the Luftwaffe." There's a lot going on with the whole Me 262 as bombers thing.

Nebakenezzer posted:

As for the Me 262 and bombs, I read a book while doing the last spergpost that makes it slightly less retarded. Slightly. Apparently in 1944 when the Nazis were planning to defend the west against Allied invasion, he asked Messerschmidt if the Me 262 could carry bombs, and Messerschmidt said yes. (This isn't terribly surprising; the Germans often tried to get around their material difficulties by having one aircraft do a lot of jobs, and they got lucky a few times, developing aircraft that were good multi-role aircraft, like the Ju 88 or the Fw 190.) Here's the funny bit, though: apparently Hitler asked this question with a very specific job in mind. He knew that the key for repelling the Allied invasion would be to attack it in its early phases, when Nazi and Allied forces would be on an even footing. He also knew Allied air cover would be heavy. So, Hitler figured the new, super-fast jet fighters could attack with bombs day and night - not even aiming properly, but just attacking to slow Allied forces down. This isn't retarded, what is is that Hitler never told anyone this was what he was thinking. And so, when the Normandy invasion was happening, Hitler asks about the plan he told nobody about, gets a mystified reaction from those around him, and goes ballistic like the gaping prolapsed anus that he was. This caused him to order all Me 262s to be used as jet bombers - but it is OK, because 1) the only flying Me 262s were prototypes, and 2) the Luftwaffe ignored Hitler.

On top of this you have General Galland complaining about bomber units getting Me 262s ahead of fighter units (this was necessary as re-purposed bomber pilots could instrument fly, something daytime Luftwaffe fighter pilots were not trained in, and it was judged faster to train the bomber crews as fighter pilots than train fighter pilots in instrument flying. ) Galland might have complained about it post war, too

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

This also got posted in the Cold War thread.

There's a Cold War thread?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Cessna posted:

There's a Cold War thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OneTruePecos posted:

What did Wedgewood get wrong? I got the feeling being a better writer cut both ways, as it seemed like she tended to wax poetic in the later stages of the book/war.
She presented the war as a German-only conflict, which it decidedly was not, she argued that in the latter stages of the war military discipline broke down completely, which I don't think it did, and argues that the war stopped because of "exhaustion" on both sides, which Wilson disputed.

It might have helped to visit archives but she wrote it in 38, and you probably can't look at archives in a country that's going to war with yours. Such is life.

She also follows a trend which I've seen a lot in English and American writers, which is to present things from either the Swedish or the French perspective. This is probably because of Protestant propaganda. I've been working against it but you need to know at least German, ideally also Italian and Czech.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 7, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Coming in late on this, but another reason militaries and disaster agencies create alien invasion or zombie outbreak plans is because they make great practice scenarios.

You have to train planners, after all, and for those you need scenarios you can tweak to specific conditions, can be more or less freely passed around for evaluation, and won't unduly alarm anyone if they do get into the public sphere. It's also useful for getting people to play along without accidentally starting a war scare if you're doing exercises.

Alien invasion and zombie outbreak are great choices since people enjoy getting "in character," so to speak, while also being far less likely to get someone mad. Alternatives like made up nation states don't work quite as well for that (e.g. by fictional East European country, do you actually mean Belarus or Ukraine? - but don't worry, I'll use it as local propaganda to rile up my citizenry and justify a sweetheart contract to my sister's brother's cousin either way).

And once you've generated this practice plan, well, you might as well keep it on file, both for future comparison for new trainees and just in case.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Zombie attack scenarios come up in this video (I think towards the end, but the whole thing is neat and milhist):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Z2eV72iv4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DYING FOR TIMUR'S SLAVE PROFITS!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the military doesn't do "zombie scenarios" you retards

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bewbies posted:

the military doesn't do "zombie scenarios" you retards
Linked to the timestamp where the former army officer talks about the time he helped draw up a zombie defense battle drill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Z2eV72iv4&t=3803s

GotLag fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nebakenezzer posted:

:allears:

This could be a blog

did yall see the trailer for that new robin hood movie?