Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

God Hole posted:

I've similarly noticed that when I'm engrossed in work or something, I'll start clenching my jaw or tapping my teeth together in tune with some song I'm listening to or playing in my head. It's not like I'm smashing my teeth together, it's fairly light tapping, but I find that I do it every day as soon as my mind wanders.

Is this a habit I absolutely need to break if I don't wanna be toothless in 50 years?

I do this, but more importantly I do it at night and wake my girlfriend up so... It gets pretty intense when I'm sleeping.
I've been ignoring my bite guard for around 2 years and I suspect my back molars are 1/2 gone (from 2/3 gone) This had been a problem for 15 years and I've only corrected it maybe 1/4 of that time)

The bite guard was even offered free replacements because I bit threw the first one quickly.
Magnesium and other such supplements that help with muscle spasms can help some. (I am not a dentist)

I've ignored cleanings for around that amount of time as well even though I've had insurance that covers it for most of last year and currently.

Time to pay the Piper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I had Invisalign a few years ago, wore them as instructed all through the process, had a small refinement at the end, wore those, then continued wearing the retainers full-time for about 3 months after that, gradually working my way to wearing them at night 2ish times a week for a while... then stopped. I hadn't worn them in about 6-8 months I think. Started wearing them full-time again a couple of weeks ago and it hurt like a motherfucker at first but now my teeth have mostly moved back into position and it's getting less and less hassle/pain to take them out and put them back in.

Question is, am I likely to have done any harm at root level? My teeth hadn't visibly moved a ton but it really did hurt like a bitch for 4 or 5 days when I started putting them back in.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

WhatEvil posted:

So I had Invisalign a few years ago, wore them as instructed all through the process, had a small refinement at the end, wore those, then continued wearing the retainers full-time for about 3 months after that, gradually working my way to wearing them at night 2ish times a week for a while... then stopped. I hadn't worn them in about 6-8 months I think. Started wearing them full-time again a couple of weeks ago and it hurt like a motherfucker at first but now my teeth have mostly moved back into position and it's getting less and less hassle/pain to take them out and put them back in.

Question is, am I likely to have done any harm at root level? My teeth hadn't visibly moved a ton but it really did hurt like a bitch for 4 or 5 days when I started putting them back in.

Do you remember it hurting like that when you started with a new tray? Your teeth moved enough that the retainer is applying force to move your teeth back to their finished position again. If the pain is gradually going away, it'll probably be fine. But now you've caught on to the dirty little secret, retainers are for the rest of your life or until you stop caring about having straight teeth.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I knew that retainers were for life and I'd been good at wearing them for ~3-4 years, just forgot for a while and then I was putting off wearing them again because I knew it'd hurt a lot... and I was right. But at least my teeth are mostly back to where they were and the pain is subsiding.

I do remember it hurting with a new aligner but this was on another level.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

buglord posted:

Dentist suggests me getting a mouth guard which is like $400 and lol insurance isn’t covering that even partially.

Can you get one of those mouth guards you mold yourself with boiling water? I think they're more like $30

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The more you bite down on it the more comfortable it will be but it won't last nearly as long as lightly molding it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Are electric toothbrushes any better than manual ones? And is it true you should use soft toothbrushes?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

jabby posted:

Are electric toothbrushes any better than manual ones? And is it true you should use soft toothbrushes?

My dentist virtually demands we use electric. Doesn’t sell them but hands out free manual ones at every check up. I’m like yo give me a free oral b electric rich woman.

We all have elect bc they seem to do a better job, have timers, etc.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

jabby posted:

My previous dentist pushed them and I dutifully tried a Sonic Care for 5 years. For every one of my 6 month cleaning, I had massive buildup in my usual places. I'd always ask how to improve my brushing, applied those tips with the same result.

Last year I simultaneously went back to manual and dropped the dentist (they overplayed their hand, pushing 3 month cleanings on me, worked on trying to get the ok from my insurance, but forgot to schedule my next 6 month cleaning).

I started with a new dentist this year and had a cleaning this week (I've never gone this long between cleanings). The buildup on my teeth from using a manual was half of what it was with electric and 6 month cleanings.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Positive Optimyst posted:

If I had a cavity I'd know it.

I'm not against going to the dentist, but what's the point if you take oral hygiene seriously?

I just had a full physical at the doctor and all the results are good (thankfully).

Am I missing out on anything by not having my teeth cleaned in the last 15 years?

Not a rhetorical question but a serious one.

Not being a dick to P.O just sharing a lovely story,

I had really good teeth also, no issues at all, didn't go to the dentist because why would I? I brushed, flossed and washed daily.

I cracked a tooth during a meal and went in for a fix, the xray revealed a raging infection that had destroyed the nerve (hence no pain) and I lost a total of 6 teeth during a three hour surgery. I was prioritized due to cardiac risk, bad teeth can kill you due to heart failure yay!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That sounds horrible, I’m glad they caught it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ancillary Character posted:

Do you remember it hurting like that when you started with a new tray? Your teeth moved enough that the retainer is applying force to move your teeth back to their finished position again. If the pain is gradually going away, it'll probably be fine. But now you've caught on to the dirty little secret, retainers are for the rest of your life or until you stop caring about having straight teeth.

Permanent retainer is an option.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Cheesus posted:

My previous dentist pushed them and I dutifully tried a Sonic Care for 5 years. For every one of my 6 month cleaning, I had massive buildup in my usual places. I'd always ask how to improve my brushing, applied those tips with the same result.

Last year I simultaneously went back to manual and dropped the dentist (they overplayed their hand, pushing 3 month cleanings on me, worked on trying to get the ok from my insurance, but forgot to schedule my next 6 month cleaning).

I started with a new dentist this year and had a cleaning this week (I've never gone this long between cleanings). The buildup on my teeth from using a manual was half of what it was with electric and 6 month cleanings.

How did you know it was half the buildup?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Raldikuk posted:

How did you know it was half the buildup?
Most of it occurs on my bottom front teeth in the gap. It was noticeably smaller, almost not there.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had my molar extracted yesterday. The procedure took longer than expected because the abscess was so big that it took a lot of work to dig out. The dentist said it was one of the largest she had ever seen, only beaten out by one that expanded into the next tooth.

Also, when they drilled apart my filling, it exploded in my mouth and got tiny pieces everywhere! I had to get them to stop so I could pull out a small piece stuck to the roof of my mouth that I was afraid of choking on.

It was a very harrowing hour, but I survived!

I'm currently doing my best to not get dry socket, as I am a high risk for that. The pain drugs I got are actually the first pain drugs I've had that seem to actually work on me, so that's a plus.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Doc Holliday was a dentist. In those days being a dentist was enough to certify you as no one to be hosed with, never mind a gunslinger.

When I had my molar yanked last year, I was reminded why. Pulling molars is no work for the faint of heart, gut, or arm, even with modern implements. I can't imagine doing it for a living with basically a knife and a pair of pliers and without benefit of anesthesia.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessa posted:

I had my molar extracted yesterday. The procedure took longer than expected because the abscess was so big that it took a lot of work to dig out. The dentist said it was one of the largest she had ever seen, only beaten out by one that expanded into the next tooth.

Also, when they drilled apart my filling, it exploded in my mouth and got tiny pieces everywhere! I had to get them to stop so I could pull out a small piece stuck to the roof of my mouth that I was afraid of choking on.

It was a very harrowing hour, but I survived!

I'm currently doing my best to not get dry socket, as I am a high risk for that. The pain drugs I got are actually the first pain drugs I've had that seem to actually work on me, so that's a plus.

How old are u? Don’t be an opioid addict in the end! You’re dr sounds like they suck btw.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

How old are u? Don’t be an opioid addict in the end! You’re dr sounds like they suck btw.

I'm 30 and was given Ketorolac. I'm not experiencing much pain anymore though, so I'm probably not even going to be taking more of the pills. I've just had a lot of experiences with painkillers not doing anything for me, so I was very surprised that it actually worked.

I like my current dentist. She did a good job of explaining what she was going to do and what I would feel and letting me take short breaks if I needed. The experience was harrowing because it was a tooth extraction and I have pretty bad dental anxiety.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Are there any dental professional types in here who could answer some questions for me about emergency dentistry? I'm working on something and I want to make sure I get some details right, and I don't want to clutter this thread up with unrelated stuff. Shoot me a PM if you can help. Thanks!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Are there any dental professional types in here who could answer some questions for me about emergency dentistry? I'm working on something and I want to make sure I get some details right, and I don't want to clutter this thread up with unrelated stuff. Shoot me a PM if you can help. Thanks!

It’s not clutter at all, I’d like to hear more about this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s not clutter at all, I’d like to hear more about this.

Is it cool if I just ask here, OP? I don't wanna hijack your thread.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Is it cool if I just ask here, OP? I don't wanna hijack your thread.

:justpost:

If it's too off-topic we'll all point and laugh at you.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Whoa, buncha people interested in emergency dentistry in this thread (well, okay, at least two, maybe three of us, anyway).

Hypothetical: Guy gets popped hard in the mouth and loses a tooth; as in, the whole thing comes out at the root, not broken off at the crown. Tooth is lost because reasons, so it can't be reinserted, thus necssitating the need for an implant later down the line. However, our unfortunate hero is in luck because he's got pretty quick access to a dentist who can do some emergency work to get him by.

So, questions:
1. What's this dentist going to do first (after lecturing him about the importance of flossing and not getting into situations where he can get a tooth knocked out)? What sort of temporary fix would be done about the gaping hole where this guy's tooth used to be? If the teeth on either side of the lost tooth are still there but jarred loose, how are those dealt with?
2. How quickly would this guy need to get an implant done? This would be done by an oral surgeon, right?
3. How much hurt are we talking about and what kind of meds would he get? I'm assuming there's gonna be a round of antibiotics in there somewhere.
4. How long will he be stuck on the all liquid and baby food diet?
5. Would he be have any visible bruising/swelling?

I'm mainly just looking for basics here. If anyone in the thread has had something similar happen and wants to share their experience, I'm all ears, but I'd super appreciate it if a pro could drop some information.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sounds like he’s probably a hockey player so the pain level is just another day in the life for him

Jason Battle
Sep 3, 2011

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Whoa, buncha people interested in emergency dentistry in this thread (well, okay, at least two, maybe three of us, anyway).

Hypothetical: Guy gets popped hard in the mouth and loses a tooth; as in, the whole thing comes out at the root, not broken off at the crown. Tooth is lost because reasons, so it can't be reinserted, thus necssitating the need for an implant later down the line. However, our unfortunate hero is in luck because he's got pretty quick access to a dentist who can do some emergency work to get him by.

So, questions:
1. What's this dentist going to do first (after lecturing him about the importance of flossing and not getting into situations where he can get a tooth knocked out)? What sort of temporary fix would be done about the gaping hole where this guy's tooth used to be? If the teeth on either side of the lost tooth are still there but jarred loose, how are those dealt with?
2. How quickly would this guy need to get an implant done? This would be done by an oral surgeon, right?
3. How much hurt are we talking about and what kind of meds would he get? I'm assuming there's gonna be a round of antibiotics in there somewhere.
4. How long will he be stuck on the all liquid and baby food diet?
5. Would he be have any visible bruising/swelling?

I'm mainly just looking for basics here. If anyone in the thread has had something similar happen and wants to share their experience, I'm all ears, but I'd super appreciate it if a pro could drop some information.

I'm a dentist so I'll chime in

1. If it's a back tooth and you're interested in an implant probably nothing as far as a temporary fix. Just leave the space until the implant is placed. If it's a front tooth something like a partial denture or essix retainer (think invisalign retainer with a fake acrylic tooth inside it).
2. Whenever you want, but if you wait years you may increase the chances of a bone graft being necessary together with the implant placement. Actually, depending on how that tooth came out a bone graft may be necessary in any case.
3. An implant will likely hurt less than getting your tooth knocked out, but I'd imagine you would get some Norco.
4. No major diet restrictions, getting an implant placed really isn't that bad. Don't chew over there while it's sore.
5. No

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Read this thread and I had no idea waterpicks even existed. I now own a Waterpik Ultra WP-100.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jason Battle posted:

I'm a dentist so I'll chime in

Awesome, thanks. :cheers:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I'm back again. New semester and work is piling up. So here's a round of answers for you guys.

buglord posted:

Yo skeleking is teeth grinding some actual awful thing for my mouth and teeth? Dentist suggests me getting a mouth guard which is like $400 and lol insurance isn’t covering that even partially.

I’m willing to pay up if it’s good in the long run, but I’ve always grinded my teeth and never thought much of it.

Tooth grinding, which in the profession we call "attrition" has serious long term consequences and a low quality mouth guard won't help much. There's a handful of options for mouth guards, so I'd recommend consulting a dentist about them, it definitely look into getting one. Grinding will wear away the enamel on the occlusal (top) surfaces of the molars and can cause chips to break off. It can also affect the bones (mandible and maxilla) by wearing down the sockets where your teeth go, leading to eventual tooth loss.

gently caress insurance, I hate those bastards.

Arglebargle III posted:

would a regular sports mouth guard work?

So are alkaline drinks... good for your enamel?

Sports guards are mass produced and do fit teeth nearly as well as dental mouth guards will, they also tend to wear out quicker from grinding since they aren't made for that.

I actually have no idea what effect alkaline drinks have on teeth.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 10, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

jabby posted:

Electric brushes will do the work without you having to exert as much pressure, helping you to avoid wearing out your teeth and gums by accident. Soft bristles are more ideal since they won't scratch up the tooth surface the way hard bristles will.

Cheesus posted:

You may just have much better cleaning technique and handling with manual brushing, but I can't say for sure. Personally I say to brush with whatever you find works best, though I usually recommend electric.

Also 3 month cleanings is nonsense. Most clinics will only do that if you have a history of serious periodontal disease or something.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I just had my first dental exam in probably 15 years, and I was super anxious about it. I brush twice a day, waterpik in the morning, and floss at night, so I didn't think much about it, but I developed a phobia of going to the dentist for some reason over the years. My exam went surprisingly well, I only have one cavity, and that's on a wonky molar that's hard to reach with the brush. I guess I'm saying even if you think you have great dental hygiene, go to the drat dentist. They can see stuff you'd never be able to.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
So I have a litany of dental problems and really no money to deal with them. My right rear molar is cracked and missing like a quarter of the crown. Last time I went to get it looked at they wanted to do a RC and buildup with a crown. I don't have $1000 to drop on one loving tooth. I suggested they just pull it and they gave me this round of stuff about it affecting my other teeth or super eruption etc. Like I get these are things but I really really don't trust that I'm always being given solid information. Other people have suggested with the same scenario their dentists wouldn't even bother with a rear molar crown because they have a high failure rate??

The other issue is that every time I go to my dentist they want to refer me to get my wisdom teeth out. They cause me literally no problems. One is fully emerged and has a cavity to I suspect to get that one pulled and the other is partial and doesn't give me any issues. The others ( have six total because I'm a freak) are all still embeded and I've talked to several other people about them and they all tell me to leave it alone. I'm really really phobic about getting them done.

I'm having a really hard time sorting through what might be total bullshit for $$ reasons or if I'm being a stubborn rear end in a top hat and don't want to spend $1000 on a tooth I don't "need". Just wanted a decent unbiased opinion.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shachi posted:

So I have a litany of dental problems and really no money to deal with them. My right rear molar is cracked and missing like a quarter of the crown. Last time I went to get it looked at they wanted to do a RC and buildup with a crown. I don't have $1000 to drop on one loving tooth. I suggested they just pull it and they gave me this round of stuff about it affecting my other teeth or super eruption etc. Like I get these are things but I really really don't trust that I'm always being given solid information. Other people have suggested with the same scenario their dentists wouldn't even bother with a rear molar crown because they have a high failure rate??

The other issue is that every time I go to my dentist they want to refer me to get my wisdom teeth out. They cause me literally no problems. One is fully emerged and has a cavity to I suspect to get that one pulled and the other is partial and doesn't give me any issues. The others ( have six total because I'm a freak) are all still embeded and I've talked to several other people about them and they all tell me to leave it alone. I'm really really phobic about getting them done.

I'm having a really hard time sorting through what might be total bullshit for $$ reasons or if I'm being a stubborn rear end in a top hat and don't want to spend $1000 on a tooth I don't "need". Just wanted a decent unbiased opinion.

How old are you, whats your job, and how much do you pay for dental insurance?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's always better to save a tooth than to pull it, especially a molar, but it does sound like that dentist is just trying to upsell you. Still, as a person who has had a couple extractions done already and thankfully have never had a major problem with one, I'm aware that I'm lucky and can testify if at all possible you want to save the tooth. Every situation is unique though and sometimes you can get another 15-20 years out of a tooth with a RC+crown with proper care, and other times you can do the RC+crown but the tooth's already in bad enough shape that it's iffy.

That was my situation to me a couple years ago and my dentist laid it out and said "I CAN do a RC and crown but honestly we should probably just extract it because it's pretty bad already."

Some dentists are really big on upselling, though, so a second opinion is always worthwhile.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's always better to save a tooth than to pull it, especially a molar, but it does sound like that dentist is just trying to upsell you. Still, as a person who has had a couple extractions done already and thankfully have never had a major problem with one, I'm aware that I'm lucky and can testify if at all possible you want to save the tooth. Every situation is unique though and sometimes you can get another 15-20 years out of a tooth with a RC+crown with proper care, and other times you can do the RC+crown but the tooth's already in bad enough shape that it's iffy.

That was my situation to me a couple years ago and my dentist laid it out and said "I CAN do a RC and crown but honestly we should probably just extract it because it's pretty bad already."

Some dentists are really big on upselling, though, so a second opinion is always worthwhile.

Re the second opinion, it is weird but a lot of folks have a go to dentist they see every six months (non goons) but never consider this. Me included. I now have a periodontist that upsells the poo poo out of me, but that’s bc I have bad teeth....and smoko

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I'm 33. I pay a couple bucks a month for dental insurance but it covers up to like 70% but caps at $1000 which I pretty much will blow with any major procedure.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What's a good price for a dental implant to replace an extracted molar? One place gave me a $3-4000 ballpark estimate for implant + crown, that sounds pricey to me but I really don't know the market for these things.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pulling molars is no work for the faint of heart, gut, or arm, even with modern implements. I can't imagine doing it for a living with basically a knife and a pair of pliers and without benefit of anesthesia.

Question for the OP or any other professionals: in my experience, it's still basically Wild West dentistry, with the exception of novacaine injections and Dremels. Why do other fields of medicine have cool poo poo like lasers and what have you, but dentistry is still basically done with poo poo you can buy at Home Depot?

I'm 44 years old and afaik getting teeth worked on is the same painful, traumatizing tech as it was in the 80s. I could go get my eyeball lenses painlessly shaved with lasers and be able to see again, permanently, but if I want this bad molar taken out, it's still a dentist leaning on my sobbing chest while he struggles with gear that I could get for free with a coupon from Harbor Freight.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Teeth are powerful

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lizardman posted:

What's a good price for a dental implant to replace an extracted molar? One place gave me a $3-4000 ballpark estimate for implant + crown, that sounds pricey to me but I really don't know the market for these things.

Yeah, that's about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Colgate says DIY plaque scraping is bad. Is it bad?

• Locked thread