Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

peanut posted:

The walls and windows aren't the (main) problem. That house has an acute beam deficiency, with co-morbidities of execessive open floor plan and vaulted ceilings. If there's a basement... it is bad...

Its mst likely got a basement. These are all houses in a new development thats going up a stones throw away from me. I doubt its a result of settlement, but are you thinking lovely concrete? Or like not enough set time before they started loading up the foundation with weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm thinking a massive basement with a subfloor thrown on top and no vertical beams except for the staircase (heck, even the staircase might be an ~artistic floater~)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

I'm thinking a massive basement with a subfloor thrown on top and no vertical beams except for the staircase (heck, even the staircase might be an ~artistic floater~)

Still with column or two you get great vertical strength but you need elements to support horizontal forces. Otherwise they just tip over, which iirc is referred to as a geometric failure. Solid walls provide great shear strength which is what is needed.

Some structures have awesome moment connections where the columns and beams meet that do this, but it takes that specific engineering.

Perhaps the design relies on those pallets of brick to be in place, which would make that poor construction engineering. I doubt that though.

I do commercial construction though, so my stickbuild knowledge is inferred, extrapolated, and assumed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Perhaps the design relies on those pallets of brick to be in place, which would make that poor construction engineering. I doubt that though.

^^^^
With all respect to those of you who have actual knowldege about residential construction/ engineering etc, this is my guess too. We had CRAZY loving winds yesterday. Like gusts in excess of 110 KMH and lots of those. There were thousands without power all throughout Toronto and surrounding area, tons of trees down, cars getting crushed, even a couple fatalities from falling trees and flying poo poo.

Again though, I ain't gots no book learnins about enjuneereeng and shits.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live in earthquake and typhoon country and every house uses pre-cut joined lumber assembled in 1 day before they even put waterproofing sheets on the roof.
http://www.nisho.jp/ogawa2.html

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wesleywillis posted:

^^^^
With all respect to those of you who have actual knowldege about residential construction/ engineering etc, this is my guess too. We had CRAZY loving winds yesterday. Like gusts in excess of 110 KMH and lots of those. There were thousands without power all throughout Toronto and surrounding area, tons of trees down, cars getting crushed, even a couple fatalities from falling trees and flying poo poo.

In that style of construction, the brick is just a facade. It doesn't really contribute meaningfully to the structure of the building. The house actually supports the brick.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

How do I even begin to describe your truck / garage situation? You couldn't possibly make your truck any bigger, so you made two tiny garage doors for it, say it!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

How do I even begin to describe your truck / garage situation? You couldn't possibly make your truck any bigger, so you made two tiny garage doors for it, say it!

JEEZ! It's the STYLE. Shut UP!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Instead you'll deal with groundwater infiltration, lack of ventilation, elevator maintenance, and you'll sleep with the sure knowledge that somewhere in Russia there's probably a nuclear ICBM with your address programmed into it.

Also, pools of really toxic chemicals.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, pools of really toxic chemicals.

Forget all the carcinogenic rocket fuel and oxidizer residue, just think of all the lead paint, asbestos, cleaning solvents and other poo poo that went into the non-missile parts of it. And that when they decommissioned the place they probably just dumped everything into the silo and left.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sooo.. you're saying it's a fixer-upper?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sooo.. you're saying it's a fixer-upper?

project home, handyman's dream

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the guy trying to refurbish one still at it?

edit: looks so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgy8roV-9u4

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think a year ago I would've been nonplussed by that video, now, after going through a full house renovation, I understand the joy in basic amenities working again. The film Money Pit really speaks to me in the third act.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
After just two weeks without a working shower in my old apartment, being again able to take a hot shower in my own home felt like the height of decadent luxury.

(When the landlord sent a tiler to fix loose tiles in the shower stall he found out the previous renovator had cheaped out and built up the base with loving dirt, he had to remove it all and let it dry for over a week before new grout and tiles could be installed and allowed to set)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I spent a year without a shower and 8 months without running water beyond a toilet. The day I fitted a temporary kitchen with a proper sink and hot & cold taps.. in fact putting in the oven as well so I could end the 9 months of takeaway food was also amazing.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dunno-Lars posted:

Wait, it's easy enough that I can probably do it? I got a couple of knives that need sharpening, but that poo poo cost money, and I don't trust those things you can buy in the store to run your knife through.

It's easy. I sharpen chisels and knives using wet/dry sand paper from the auto shop. I tape different grades of sand paper to board, then just get to sharpening. Start in the low 100s grit and end in 1000s grit for polishing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

^^^^

110km ain't poo poo. Here's the design spec minimums for middle of nowhere Iowa:

Frost Depth: 42 inches
Ground Snow Load: 30 lb. (24 lb. Roof Load)
Wind Speed: 105/115/120 mph based on building risk category
Seismic Zone: A

In short, that house is either a massive failure of design and engineering that should never have been built, or the contractor hosed up in some inexcusably fundamental way like not tying the top floor and bottom floor together if a windy day was enough to structurally total it like that.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 6, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
By my understanding, when doing construction, you're supposed to brace walls until they're strong enough to stand on their own. So even if the house was incomplete and would have been strong enough to withstand that wind when finished, it still shouldn't have fallen over like that because there should've been a poo poo-ton of diagonal braces holding it up. So, like was said earlier, either the house's design was fundamentally flawed, or else someone royally hosed up the construction process; either way a windstorm shouldn't have done this.

It's a shame because I like the "turret with a bunch of windows" idea. But if I were going to build it, I'd probably make it octagonal to avoid having to deal with curved walls. That'd let me use windows that are wider but not as tall, which a) would mean more large sections of sheathing, and thus more strength, and b) would give me room to stick a couch under some of the windows.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

110 km/h is about 30½ m/s (which is how adults state wind speeds) and that's really loving windy. Enough to tear a roof off a lovely house:

That being said, the "house" is obviously a piece of poo poo.

(I don't think I've ever experienced more than 25 m/s - which was a bit wet since I was on a very small island in the sea so the spray was loving everywhere.)

e: gently caress the roof I can't get over that ugly-rear end awning :barf:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 6, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

some goons posted:

wisdom 'n poo poo

Word, thanks for the sciency type shiznit. I didn' really know about the bracing being necessary for so long. Maybe there is no paneling on the back of the thing or something :mystery:
Its funny, I saw some similar pictures of houses under construction after another wind storm that happened almost literally a month to the day ago. Different city though. And different contractor.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's bracing in the garage door and the adjacent window. Not a builder or designer, but my feel is that someone essentially drew up a normal house and added in the feature windows without regard for the extra weight or framing compromises.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I wonder if they cut some of the support members for a sunken tub

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So a "small business owner" went and built himself a custom walk-in fridge for his stuff.

And then an actual HVAC/R contractor comes into explain what's wrong with, well, everything here.

His rebuttal:

In case anyone is wondering what exactly is wrong here:
For one, it's not really anywhere close to being sealed properly. A proper walk-in actually had cam-locks inside the panels, and when you assemble them, they pull into each other. There is a rubber lip, and you also run a bead of butyl to seal it 100%. The doors have gaskets and are supposed to close by themselves to seal properly. He has none of this.

The bigger problem is that the window unit is completely insufficient for this task. It's undersized and not designed to cycle like a walk-in does. While he does have a different controller, which, to my understanding, refortifies some of this, its still running too low for it's design and will end up overtaxing and prematurely burning out the compressor. Of course, while it may be able to maintain the temperature, the it's almost certainly going to struggle actually pull the product temp down to safe temps.

To say nothing of the mold growth potential in all the cracks, crevices and gaps in there.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 7, 2018

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
yeah---I bet if you go look inside it now there is a home gardening project :)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ExplodingSims posted:

Of course, while it may be able to maintain the temperature, the it's almost certainly going to struggle actually pull the product temp down to safe temps.
Honest question - He already has the product in there and it appears to be maintaining the room temperature. What trick of physics am I missing that would indicate the product temp isn't being brought down? Is the assumption just that due to the poor sealing, the temperature is gonna swing wildly?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slugworth posted:

Honest question - He already has the product in there and it appears to be maintaining the room temperature. What trick of physics am I missing that would indicate the product temp isn't being brought down? Is the assumption just that due to the poor sealing, the temperature is gonna swing wildly?
I touch computers, not fridges, so my cooling knowledge might be wildly inapplicable, but heating/cooling isn't uniform. There may be dead zones of air circulation where it's sitting several degrees above the rest of the room. If there's cracks then those areas may end up warmer than others. Just because the bits where the thermometers are say it's X degrees doesn't mean it's X degrees everywhere.

Even if the entire thing is at a uniform -whatever degrees before they put the product in, the cooling might not be being distributed efficiently. When they put the product in the product cools down a bit while warming up the immediate area. You need to keep replacing the heated air with colder air or else it will reach a local equilibrium, keeping the product at unsafe temperatures despite the bits by the the thermometers saying it's nice and cool. That's assuming they have multiple thermometers and aren't judging the inner temperature based on a single reading pulled from right beside the intake vent or something.

Even if it does eventually all cool down, the longer it takes the longer bacteria has to grow. Cold doesn't actually kill most bacteria, it just slows down reproduction. Cold drinks that already have a high level of contaminants prior to cooling are just as dangerous as ones that picked up the bacteria later.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 7, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So when I would immediately freeze dumpster dived bagels did that help decontaminate them or was it just a placebo? (It was a dumpster behind a bagel shop, filled with bagels, and the bagels in the middle were only touching other bagels. Omg it was so wasteful.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

peanut posted:

So when I would immediately freeze dumpster dived bagels did that help decontaminate them or was it just a placebo? (It was a dumpster behind a bagel shop, filled with bagels, and the bagels in the middle were only touching other bagels. Omg it was so wasteful.)
According to my secondary school biology and later health and safety classes, it would stop them getting any worse and there are some moulds and stuff that don't like cold but in general freezing them as quickly as possible is how people store mould and bacteria samples.

Which is not to say it was a placebo, as not freezing them gives all that mould and stuff time to grow before you actually getting around to eating it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 7, 2018

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That's the jankiest looking "walk-in" I've ever seen, but it's probably sufficient if they're only storing finished sauerkraut that's been properly canned.

e: That said, I guarantee the Health Department will make them fix it anyway, because there's no loving way you can clean that thing properly.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ok now how about taking day-old alley pies to church potlucks? Totally fine yeah?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

peanut posted:

Ok now how about taking day-old alley pies to church potlucks? Totally fine yeah?

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage in salt and brine, and was a traditional way of keeping food shelf-stable over long periods of time for thousands of years in Europe. The pickling solution kills the bacteria, the refrigeration is probably just to preserve flavor and texture.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coasterphreak posted:

The pickling solution kills the bacteria,

The pickling solution creates a scenario where one bacteria that loves acidic environments and salt can easily outcompete other bacteria.

The taste of pickles and sauerkraut is the taste of Lactobacillus brevis :eng101:.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

peanut posted:

I get the feeling you're working your way up to something terrifying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

peanut posted:

That's between you and Jesus.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Slugworth posted:

There's a big difference between product temp and space temp.

Even though he may be able to keep the space in the safe zone, between 35-40*, that little window shaker isn't really up to the task of pulling the heat out of the product in a sufficient time to keep it out of the danger zone.

If you look at walk in evaps, that generally why they've got big fans with long throw, to be able to cycle as much air as possible across the space.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The pickling solution creates a scenario where one bacteria that loves acidic environments and salt can easily outcompete other bacteria.

The taste of pickles and sauerkraut is the taste of Lactobacillus brevis :eng101:.

Does lactobacillus brevis make little blooms on the surface? Because when I was looking to make my own sauerkraut, one guide was by someone making entire buckets of it and they said that sometimes little blooms would grow on the surface which you can scoop out, but why would you because living sauerkraut is best.

Spoiled me on fruit stand preserves and pickles for a while.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For sauerkraut, sometimes yes, but hopefully not. It's a balance. Sometimes in the process, a lot of the pre-packaged probiotic packets will have complimentary bacteria that create an environment more favorable to the lactobacillus brevis quickly, and then themselves get killed off after LB takes over. Kind of like a starter yeast for mead making.

As far as I know, for fruit preserves the goal is to kill everything through heat, but not always. Sometimes the goal, like with canning, is just to remove all the oxygen, because that's what most bacteria need to survive (of course there's the really bad bacteria, like botulism, that are anaerobic so you've got to do other stuff to kill that). I was only really into pickling and never got at-home canning down pat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a canning thread incidentally, which could use more traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

This is the point in the film where the housemaid stumbles across a diagram of a miles-wide orbital mirror with "Mark III" scrawled across the top.