Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

What’s in the box?

A cat that simultaneously does and does not have a rat taped to it, in a precience-twarting superposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

What’s in the box?

Nothing!

Absolutely nothing!

Stupid!

You're so stupid!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

paul_soccer10 posted:

movie kicks so much rear end

such a lovely film. lovely film.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BONGHITZ posted:

What’s in the box?

Holy poo poo Kevin Spacey's character from Se7en would have made a good twisted Mentat.

e: He even manipulated a government official into breaking his conditioning by killing his wife.

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 7, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nothing!

Absolutely nothing!

Stupid!

You're so stupid!

Heh, I get this reference, thanks!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

So you like autists then?

*sprays seltzer into mouth and adjusts jacket*

Yeah.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

basic hitler posted:

sprays seltzer into mouth

What, like to gargle?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What a disgusting waste of water!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Dew of Mountain that thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire cavities, the cavities become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

paul_soccer10 posted:

this fremen is a real comedian

A technique involving sound.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

heres something i whipped up just for laughs a few years back....

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Did anyone point out yet that Brian Herbert goes by the handle @DuneAuthor on Twitter?

He is such an insecure hack.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sidequels...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wonder if that's an actual cover image from one of his books. Talk about the most simplistic interpretation of the jihad possible.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"yeah it turns out in this world where uncovering leto's archives helped everyone understand a world we had forgotten as recently as 3,000 years ago, but this idiot terminator-esque war against hte machines is so loving unforgettable that even though nobody remembers the imperium of paul atreides, the pains of lord cybertrex's dominion are still felt from a time we can't even count back to"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imagine if brian herbert had the level of respect for his father's work that Christopher tolkein has.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I wonder if that's an actual cover image from one of his books. Talk about the most simplistic interpretation of the jihad possible.

It's

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Noam Chomsky is an anagram of Smokyn CHOAM.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

In the book when the baron captures thufir hawat he poisons him and keeps him dependant on the antidote

In the david lynch movie the same thing happens but also thufir has to milk a cat for the antidote lol

"We've brought you a little cat, Thufir. You must care for it if you wish to live." remains one of my favorite lines.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno who first made up the name Lord Cybertrex in here but until I actually read the BH/KJA books (aka never) I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that's an actual character name from those books :hai:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I read all three of the Butlerian Jihad books because I was a dumb teenager with no taste who read way too much when they came out.

Years later when I found out about the Star Wars EU and that KJA was a writer for it, it made perfect sense. Every time you hear about the EU, it's usually an anecdote about how every throwaway line or guy standing in the background of a scene has been expounded on to a ridiculous degree. That's what the prequel Dune books are in a nutshell.

And then you get KJA's schlock that he obviously came up with himself like Lord Cybertrex, Psychic suicide bombers, and brains in jars having sex with each other.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The will call us concubines, but history will call us wives

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Test your children's humanity with the Dune Storybook!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fat men in bondage gear and rapey mentats are perfect fodder for children’s books!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Is Joan Vinge good? I occasionally come across her books in used bookstores when I'm looking for Vernor Vinge, but I've never tried any of them.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is Joan Vinge good? I occasionally come across her books in used bookstores when I'm looking for Vernor Vinge, but I've never tried any of them.

I have no earthly idea. I bought this for the sheer absurdity of condensing the Lynch version of Dune into something for kids. I've never done more than flip through it, but high literature this ain't.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kevin J. Anderson wrote a Star Wars story where a minor background character who was on screen for maybe two seconds literally became the second Death Star. Brian Herbert looked at this and said "Hm, yes, just the person to carry on my father's legacy"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The people in this thread would love to see that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The gruesome offscreen thing happening in the heart plug scene in the film is supposed to be Harkonnen is loving his slaveboy’s heart, right?

Oh also not really interesting or important, but a family friend says she’s friends with the wife of the late actor who was lancing Harkonnen’s zits.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 7, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I dunno who first made up the name Lord Cybertrex in here but until I actually read the BH/KJA books (aka never) I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that's an actual character name from those books :hai:

Having read (and forgotten) some of the prequel books about 15 years ago, I'm half-and-half on seeing LORD CYBERTREX-8000 as a goon joke or as the actual name Anderson came up with for a villain. I've been too afraid to ask.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The gruesome offscreen thing happening in the heart plug scene in the film is supposed to be Harkonnen is loving his slaveboy’s heart, right?

I took it to be eyegouging the way he’s pawing at him but either is loving disturbing. The mechanics of getting his dong out of his hoversuit seem kind of improbable, but could be some fancy tailoring!

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeniel posted:

Noam Chomsky is an anagram of Smokyn CHOAM.

big if tooth

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao the wiki summary for brian herberts version of the butlerian jihad

quote:

The Legends of Dune prequel trilogy (2002–2004) by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, set over 10,000 years before the events of Dune, chronicles the struggle between humans and thinking machines that would eventually become known as the Butlerian Jihad.[4] The series explains that mankind had become entirely complacent and dependent upon thinking machines; recognizing this weakness, a group of ambitious, militant humans calling themselves the Titans use this widespread reliance on machine intelligence to seize control of the entire universe. The Titans soon make the transition into cyborgs called cymeks; through the use of specialized interfaces, their brains are installed inside giant, mobile, mechanized "bodies." These fearsome, weaponized bodies make the Titans virtually immortal – and unstoppable.[4] They later convert a number of subservient humans into an army of "neo-cymeks" to enforce their rule over the universe, and this so-called "Time of Titans" lasts for a century.[16]

Eventually the Titan Xerxes lazily grants too much access and power to the AI program Omnius, which usurps control from the Titans themselves.[4] Seeing no value in human life, the thinking machines – now including armies of robot soldiers and other aggressive machines, with the Titans as their commanders – dominate and enslave nearly all of humanity in the universe for 900 years, until a jihad is ignited by the independent robot Erasmus's murder of Manion Butler, the young son of Serena Butler.[4] This crusade against the machines lasts for nearly a century, with much loss of human life, ending in human victory at the Battle of Corrin. The Jihad also gives rise to the Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild, the Sardaukar army, the Landsraad, and even House Corrino, whose Padishah Emperors rule the universe for the next 10,000 years, until the events of Dune and the accession of Paul Atreides.[16]
so loving lazy and stupid

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cymeks.

You couldn't make up something that dumb as a parody.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man that’s just sad. Minor throwaway line about historical reasoning for no AI and turn it into “it created all the big factions even sardaukar!!”

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm concerned that Frank Herbert perhaps did not love his dead gay son.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

paul_soccer10 posted:

lmao the wiki summary for brian herberts version of the butlerian jihad

so loving lazy and stupid

I stupidly read those books. That's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS