Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The fact that they haven't drafted a backup QB in years remains one of the more baffling parts of the Dolphins in a long history of baffling decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tarbrush posted:

The fact that they haven't drafted a backup QB in years remains one of the more baffling parts of the Dolphins in a long history of baffling decisions

Hey, we drafted a QB turned wide receiver turned QB, and that should count, right? And Doughty, who we never ever used. So, there you go.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

Hey, we drafted a QB turned wide receiver turned QB, and that should count, right? And Doughty, who we never ever used. So, there you go.

Doughty didn’t have an nfl arm. He was garbage in every preseason game.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Doughty didn’t have an nfl arm. He was garbage in every preseason game.

He never looked good, but I'm not sure he was a step down from Fales. He was never going to be more than a backup, but with our passing game being mostly screens, i was hoping he was smart enough to be a pennington.

Edit: and I always wonder why we keep him on the practice squad, develop his knowledge of our system, but dont bring him up to cover second string.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s a great question. Unsure why you’d put a guy with such a low ceiling there.

I heard that we’re still looking to add some pieces after June 1st cuts, mainly seeing if any good QB projects are available (why i think Bridgewater 2 Miami is a thing. High ceiling with a basement that’s merely... he never plays again!)

But more interestingly, i heard we’re looking to add another press CB. Not sure who that’s damning, because I’m a huge fan of our young CBs.

Well, Howard, Tank, and McCann. Lippett and his Achilles... that’s tough. A guy like Grimes who is a stud originally can get through it but a guy progressing slowly with big flashes? That’s a tall order

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

That’s a great question. Unsure why you’d put a guy with such a low ceiling there.

I heard that we’re still looking to add some pieces after June 1st cuts, mainly seeing if any good QB projects are available (why i think Bridgewater 2 Miami is a thing. High ceiling with a basement that’s merely... he never plays again!)

But more interestingly, i heard we’re looking to add another press CB. Not sure who that’s damning, because I’m a huge fan of our young CBs.

Well, Howard, Tank, and McCann. Lippett and his Achilles... that’s tough. A guy like Grimes who is a stud originally can get through it but a guy progressing slowly with big flashes? That’s a tall order

Bridgewater is a great candidate.

McCann holds too much, but Tank and Howard are solid. Not sure about depth with Lippett though. He's one of my favorites, but a bit too boom or bust to be consistent even before he got hurt.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
McCann is universally lauded as our best slot CB and is pretty well liked by our coaching staff. Curious if that lip service from last year has already changed.

I very much like him. Frankly i think Howard needs to get his penalties under control before i put him in that upper tier. His playmaking skills are too great to ignore.

So you think they ditch Mccann eh? Should be interesting! I’m hardly a CB expert so I won’t argue.

Lippett likely has the starting job now, assuming health, but if i don’t see Tankersley pushing him for time *hard* by end of camp then i don’t know WTF to believe, because everyone (dolphins draft guys, mike Mayo i) seemed to go nuts that we got him in the 3rd

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

McCann is universally lauded as our best slot CB and is pretty well liked by our coaching staff. Curious if that lip service from last year has already changed.

I very much like him. Frankly i think Howard needs to get his penalties under control before i put him in that upper tier. His playmaking skills are too great to ignore.

So you think they ditch Mccann eh? Should be interesting! I’m hardly a CB expert so I won’t argue.

Lippett likely has the starting job now, assuming health, but if i don’t see Tankersley pushing him for time *hard* by end of camp then i don’t know WTF to believe, because everyone (dolphins draft guys, mike Mayo i) seemed to go nuts that we got him in the 3rd

McCain is really good...but he gets his hands on receivers too much after 5 yards. But, looking at his penalty stats, that was way down in 2017 versus 16.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Hey, we just traded a 7th for a passable DT from the Lions This dude.

Yay I guess.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That was last Friday! Boooooo

BOOOO

But real reaction - he was miscast in Tampa, Detroit he performed okay. Detroit’s making a scheme change (Lions goons please confirm) and his old Dline coach is on our staff now, so we should know him better than most.

I think it’s a pretty good trade

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Any 7th round pick trade for a known quantity is a good trade.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Really? I blame the bank holiday weekend

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

Any 7th round pick trade for a known quantity is a good trade.

That’s how i feel. Plus it’s conditional - he has to be on our roster day 1.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Interesting article today by Armando who is pretty spot on usually.

1) Gase didn’t want Osweiller. That decision was made by Tbaum
2) Gase really likes David Fales.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It matters not. We'll go 8-8 next year, and no one will be sure if it's improvement or statistical noise.

Except for us. We'll know that it's destiny.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tarbrush posted:

It matters not. We'll go 8-8 next year, and no one will be sure if it's improvement or statistical noise.

Except for us. We'll know that it's destiny.

This is my fear. Better than last year, so people will say they did a good job on personnel, and we're improving now that Tannehill is back. Not good enough to be a playoff team. Too good for a strong draft pick.

I'm hoping the D is enough better to keep us in close games, but we don't have a power back that is killer in the 4th quarter anymore, so I'm not sure that will be enough for us to win any more games.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by our new TE and HB. Gesicki can’t block but he’s going to be a stud in the receiving game

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just for the record Dolphins over/under on wins is 6 which seems like the floor assuming Tannehill plays.

I would never suggest betting on the Phins but seems like a push at worst.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've gotta see how/if Gase has adjusted his play calling, or, fingers crossed, he gives those duties to the o coordinator. If he keeps his old playbook, 6 is about right.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
8-8
8-8
8-8
8-8
8-8

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, the brain trust's moves last year continue to bite.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/dolphins-leonte-carroo-likely-on-roster-bubble/

Here are two stories that should be read, headlines at least, as related stories.

Gase is Finally Putting His Stamp on the Dolphins Roster
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...il-most-popular

The Dolphins Have Declined the Most This Offseason
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/15/3-espn-nfl-insider-believe-the-dolphins-have-declined-the-most-this-offseason/

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 16, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That article about our losses is awful. Josh Sutton is the best guard we’ve had since we had Incognito.

Michael Thomas is gone, yes it’s true... but we drafted Minkah Fitzpatrick to replace him.

And oh yeah we no longer have the worst QB in the league throwing passes

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 16, 2018

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

torgeaux posted:

Well, the brain trust's moves last year continue to bite.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/dolphins-leonte-carroo-likely-on-roster-bubble/

Here are two stories that should be read, headlines at least, as related stories.

Gase is Finally Putting His Stamp on the Dolphins Roster
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...il-most-popular

The Dolphins Have Declined the Most This Offseason
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/15/3-espn-nfl-insider-believe-the-dolphins-have-declined-the-most-this-offseason/

It was hard not to think of the Chip Kelly-era Eagles when watching the Dolphins chase “culture” while moving on from talented players such as Jay Ajayi, Suh, Pouncey, Landry and Michael Thomas

Lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, I mostly ignored the stories, but thought the juxtaposition of the headlines was funny.

The Carroo story hits hard on our personnel draft management though. I was so pissed when it happened, then talked myself into believing Carroo could be something, then back to reality.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Man all the Jets and Rutgers fans were convinced Carroo was going to be great.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I just like Suh, Landry, and Michael Thomas being in the same list.

The only two things I remember about Carroo is how much they gave up to draft him, and one TD from like 2016.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean, even if you hate what the Dolphins have done, how have they declined this year more then the Seahawks or Bills?

Like, even if you love Josh Allen, you can't expect him to be a good QB this season, and their offensive line disintegrated.

And the Seahawks may be a better team but their losses were comical.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kalli posted:

I mean, even if you hate what the Dolphins have done, how have they declined this year more then the Seahawks or Bills?

Like, even if you love Josh Allen, you can't expect him to be a good QB this season, and their offensive line disintegrated.

Mostly because we were terrible last year, and traded or cut our best players. Teams that go to the playoffs are expected to maybe get a bit worse.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I hated the Caroo pick from the start, they gave up so many good picks for no reason.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s easily a huge black mark on an otherwise pretty good few years of drafting. But...

It really can’t be understated how awful Cutler was. So that’s a huge upgrade. I’m not sure how much culture BS I buy into but whatever. Guess we will see

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kalli posted:

With the Bills you can make an argument their offense was already pretty poopy (3 points in the playoffs) and the defense improved.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

pasaluki posted:

With the Bills you can make an argument their offense was already pretty poopy (3 points in the playoffs) and the defense improved.

The offense last year at the very least didn't turn the ball over so the defense rarely had to go out with bad field position. With a rookie QB that won't be the case. Even if the defense has improved they'll have a worse year statistically most likely.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The offense last year at the very least didn't turn the ball over so the defense rarely had to go out with bad field position. With a rookie QB that won't be the case. Even if the defense has improved they'll have a worse year statistically most likely.

Maybe.
But I dont see the Bills as the most declined team. I think the Dolphins lost way more overall talent.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pasaluki posted:

Maybe.
But I dont see the Bills as the most declined team. I think the Dolphins lost way more overall talent.

Yeah, but look how much better the "culture" is!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jets gonna ruin sam darnold and be starting old men again by 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pasaluki posted:

Maybe.

Suh was a huge loss but i just don’t think Landry’s statistics are going to be that tough to replace.

But i mean those are the blanket type statements an optimist makes right

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Seems pretty clear that the Bills will be Not A Good (which is not the same as A Bad) this year, but they look to be in better shape on contracts. One thing that has constantly haunted the Bills is the presence of really bad contracts on a handful of mediocre veterans, preventing them from having enough cap space to field a strong team overall. Now the main severely overpaid player is Charles Clay at $9 million (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING :psyduck: ), which is survivable, and they have the third most cap space for 2019 and second most for 2020.

In contrast, the Dolphins have the 6th-lowest amount of cap space in 2019...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Man all the Jets and Rutgers fans were convinced Carroo was going to be great.

He was an absolute difference maker at RU with just embarrassing talent around him. There is more that story than we know.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Ditch posted:

Now the main severely overpaid player is Charles Clay at $9 million (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING :psyduck: )

Because the Bills basically wanted to stick it to the Fins and also because the Bills know gently caress all about good TEs.

Overpaying for Clay is a classic passive agressive short sighted and petty AFC East move.

Rex Ryan once sent out 5 players who were former Dolphins players as captains simply because they were playing against them.

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, but look how much better the "culture" is!

This is what's interesting. I think when you look at what Chip Kelly did, I can in some sense see the logic of his end goal. He wanted players who he could motivate. He had an authoritarian style of coaching.

The problem with the way Chip Kelly went about doing that was he had no subtlety and thought he could do it basically all at once without generating alot of enmity. To make matters worse the specific players he targeted to jettison were eyebrow raising to say the least.

The way Adam Gase is radically making moves is reminiscent to me of Chip Kelly.

I dont think what he trying to accomplish is necessarily wrong. Heres why: Motivation has been an issue with the Dolphins. I remember there was this gif of Joe Philbin trying to call the Dolphins back to the sideline and to hustle, and the Dolphins players are just tuning the coach completely out and slowly walking back. It actually made me feel bad for the coach because you could tell he had just no respect from his players.

But the way Gase is doing this, I feel is going to backfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chuck Clay owns and has shone when used right

it's just that managment never uses anyone right

• Locked thread