Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Le Mans is one of those races that will always exist, and WEC knows it. The problem is right now is WEC was sticking it to F1 in terms of hybrid development, and was an attractive alternative, at least at the start, for teams who wanted to build a hybrid racing powertrain but didn't want to commit F1 dollars to it (and not have the risk of flaming out in 5 years). However, the rise of Formula E, which is cheaper and focuses more on the electronic tech (which in terms of automotive applications is still relatively in its infancy), was an even more attractive alternative because it's so much cheaper.

So all the car companies who want to help get electronics down pat ended up jumping ship to F-E instead of F1 or LMP1-Hy.

Yeah, the WEC is only a few years old and LeMans survived since the demise of the last one, admittedly not with 60 cars every year.

If Toyota left I really think they'd be replaced with several more LMP1 privateers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I still think Ricky is the lesser of the Taylor brothers talent-wise, but Penske is putting the hurt on the IMSA field.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

how the gently caress did Parente catch that Lexus

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This race also owned (the stream, not so much).

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
That was awesome. I'm glad they finally fixed the stream issues that plagued the first hour or so

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gently caress yeah Porsche win, gently caress yeah Mazda podium

Fistbumped Nunez after the podium ceremony, A++

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oh gently caress I completely forgot next weekend is the Nurburgring 24 hours

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

Is that some sort of 24 hour continuous racing event at the Nurburgring?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basticle posted:

Is the Opel Manta returning?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

Should be, it's been in the VLN races

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

Along with 149 other cars yes. http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/04/26/nurburgring-24-hours-entry-revealed.html

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I wonder if there's going to be any controversy over Pipo Derani and Colin Braun not giving way for JPM and Oliver Jarvis on their charges toward the front. No question they both got checked up badly by lapped cars while trying to catch the #7

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Jarvis and Montoya kinda looked like they were bitching to each other about another driver at the podium tent, but that could have been anyone

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

The Manta's foxtail is the 24 of Nurburgring's mascot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

Is John Hindhaugh drunk?

Probably just jet lagged like a motherfucker.

I don’t think we’ll have to wait long to hear more about the next top-prototype rules. It sounds like a few things are agreed:

• Keep hybridization but offer a spec solution for non-major OEMs and privateers
  • Cheaper engineering meaning a cost cap to what you can do with that hybrid
  • Styling cues from the manufacturers (think DPi)
  • Getting IMSA back on board in parallel with the world championship
  • Running the WEC as now to be fewer events than F1 (8-9 race seasons) but with varied race formats (6 hour, 1000km, 12 hour, and Le Mans being the one 24 hour race)
  • Keep GTE from the excesses of GT1

If they can get some of the OEMs who are in the US DPi onboard to play in the WEC with this “next gen” LMP1 in a similar manner to how the GTE factories are (see Ford and Porsche) then we’ll have a success.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wirth1000 posted:

Is that some sort of 24 hour continuous racing event at the Nurburgring?

I can't imagine doing like 5 hours of Nurburgring.

Truly that is the green hell.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Le Mans is one of those races that will always exist, and WEC knows it. The problem is right now is WEC was sticking it to F1 in terms of hybrid development, and was an attractive alternative, at least at the start, for teams who wanted to build a hybrid racing powertrain but didn't want to commit F1 dollars to it (and not have the risk of flaming out in 5 years). However, the rise of Formula E, which is cheaper and focuses more on the electronic tech (which in terms of automotive applications is still relatively in its infancy), was an even more attractive alternative because it's so much cheaper.

So all the car companies who want to help get electronics down pat ended up jumping ship to F-E instead of F1 or LMP1-Hy.

WEC is run by the ACO who control Le Mans.

Le Mans knows it's going to survive, but it wants to return to those 60s and 70s hey-days where it was the biggest race in the world and knows the only way it's going to do that is with a solid field and a really strong series to put Le Mans in.
If they get to 2021 and it's still Toyota and Privateers they're gonna look to shake things up big time because that's not where they want to be.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was hoping Porsche would get into F1 but yep, just did F-E instead.

F-E isn't the endgame for VAG, they're waiting to see what shakes out at the end of the current regulation debate in F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

F-E isn't the endgame for VAG, they're waiting to see what shakes out at the end of the current regulation debate in F1.

And because they want to portray a hard pivot to electric to help undo the bad PR of dieselgate. And do so on the (relative) cheap.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I think VAG is going to stay in F-E long term, F-E+F1 is still cheaper than two full LMP1 programs.
I do genuinely believe they want to prestige of being in F1.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

I think VAG is going to stay in F-E long term, F-E+F1 is still cheaper than two full LMP1 programs.
I do genuinely believe they want to prestige of being in F1.

Where do you get that impression from (about entering F1)? F1 tried courting them pretty hard for the last decade to no effect. VAG goes racing to improve its road cars and to market road car technology. Between dieselgate and Audi and Porsche winning almost every Le Mans since 2000, there’s no more appetite for an LMP1 program. Formula E is at worst 20% the cost of P1, and maybe only 5% (if they’re only spending $10 million) and has a green halo, I think they’re going to be there for a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

One of the Porsche big wigs said last year they were considering getting into F1.

Motorsport.com posted:

Porsche said last month that it is evaluating a possible Formula 1 return, which could depend on how the future engine regulations are framed.

Lutz Meschke, deputy chairman of Porsche's executive board and member of the board for finances and IT, confirmed its interest at last month's Italian Grand Prix, giving hope that one of the automotive world's most famous manufacturers might return to the F1 grid for the first time since 1991.
Whether it means anything probably not but there are a few manufacturers saying they'd consider maybe thinking about coming to F1 if the engine regs were right, or in Aston's case if one of the teams is bitter enough at its engine supplier.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Where do you get that impression from (about entering F1)? F1 tried courting them pretty hard for the last decade to no effect. VAG goes racing to improve its road cars and to market road car technology. Between dieselgate and Audi and Porsche winning almost every Le Mans since 2000, there’s no more appetite for an LMP1 program. Formula E is at worst 20% the cost of P1, and maybe only 5% (if they’re only spending $10 million) and has a green halo, I think they’re going to be there for a while.

It used to be that you could get actual technical data from racing cars (and Toyota still claims they do), and Audi used that and paired it with Diesel to try and promote their push that diesel+performance=good cheap fun (because Diesel was cheap and fuel efficient in the early 2000s or something along those lines, they bought out Lambo and had Porsche land in their net for free so it gets pretty hazy exactly what they were going for).

Porsche jumped in to validate it's battery-hybrid technology (Audi and Toyota were running ultra quirky setups involving flywheels and something about gas-compression or something weird before that), but mostly because Le Mans was getting its sex appeal back and they knew they had a chance to come in and compete.
Then Audi got done for emissions cheating, it became increasingly clear Toyota wasn't going to put up any challenge and that people were only watching Le Mans. Or, alternatively, Porsche also got popped for diesel emissions cheating with their most profitable cars so they shat bricks and ran screaming from LMP1.

So I don't necessarily buy that there's no appetite for an LMP1 program so much as I feel VAG jumped ship because they got hammered over emissions and needed to cut something big out of the budget to make things look kosher in the eyes of the shareholders, many of whom don't get how motorsports does genuinely help the brand make money.

But, that's not the (300) million dollar question. Last year, around March when Liberty started holding meetings to discuss the 2021 engine regulation changes it was reported that VAG had someone in the meetings.
It's not as concrete as them sizing up buying out Red Bull, but it's a thing.
We also know it'll be Porsche or Lambo if they do choose to enter F1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Weren't there rumors that Porsche/Audi weren't going to get involved in F1 so long as Bernie was involved?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Weren't there rumors that Porsche/Audi weren't going to get involved in F1 so long as Bernie was involved?

Based on how quickly they jumped into talks and moved from "no comment" to "it's too expensive" and "we're considering it" after he left... maybe?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Every time I asked Dr Ullrich or Chris Reinke about it, they told me they’d been in discussion with the FIA about F1 but it was just that, they were never at the point of it being serious enough to commit.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

When I say VAG I mean the VAG family (Porsche, as the CEO of VAG came out and said he didn't think Audi was a good fit and Lambo doesn't feel right either).
Based on Porsche entering LMP1 while Audi was still doing Audi things suggests Ingolstadt and Weissach aren't on speaking terms.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

njsykora posted:

One of the Porsche big wigs said last year they were considering getting into F1.

Whether it means anything probably not but there are a few manufacturers saying they'd consider maybe thinking about coming to F1 if the engine regs were right, or in Aston's case if one of the teams is bitter enough at its engine supplier.

That's what got me excited but I'm not sure it'll amount to anything at this point.

drgitlin posted:

Every time I asked Dr Ullrich or Chris Reinke about it, they told me they’d been in discussion with the FIA about F1 but it was just that, they were never at the point of it being serious enough to commit.

Figures :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

having a hybrid powertrain based ruleset in 2018 is dumb. that ship has sailed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

having a hybrid powertrain based ruleset in 2018 is dumb. that ship has sailed.

There is a strong likelihood that some countries/regions (like Europe) will require at least hybridization with ICE engines in the near future, so no, it’s still relevant.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress is this? The F1 thread??? Shut up about that piece of poo poo racing series suffocating racing. You want top tier open wheel watch IndyCar. F1 is everything that's wrong with racing times a million.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Indycar. It is a poverty racing series for binmen that makes no money.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

when Lambo develops a Urus for Extreme Barbie Jeep Racing, I might care

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wirth1000 posted:

What the gently caress is this? The F1 thread??? Shut up about that piece of poo poo racing series suffocating racing. You want top tier open wheel watch IndyCar. F1 is everything that's wrong with racing times a million.

Wirth1000 posted:

I loving love F1.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Fauxhawk Express posted:

when Lambo develops a Urus for Extreme Barbie Jeep Racing, I might care

Lambo Urus vs Jag i-Pace on formula e circuits

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't imagine doing like 5 hours of Nurburgring.

Truly that is the green hell.

Volker Strycek last year actually drove for two teams (ACD and Kissling), and always did a long stint. They caught him once for an interview where he got out of one car, made the interview, and finished it with "gotta go, next car is waiting". Was asked how much he thinks he's going to sleep this weekend, and he looked at them totally confused like he didn't really understand the question.

The guy is 60 years old ;)

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 8, 2018

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Two sportscar things have made me exclaim Holy gently caress out loud today.

The first is finally seeing onboard footage of the 919 Tribute lapping Spa: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/08/video-onboard-of-janis-record-breaking-spa-lap.html

The second is the state of Fittipaldi's car after his crash:

The nose itself looks remarkably intact, but she's snapped through the A-pillar. :catstare:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

gently caress me

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe Jaws of Life? not sure

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Someone also caught the SMP BR1 mid-accident too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bigj492D27f/