Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Updated to 1803 and the only thing that reset was the power because I'm not poo poo at computers

Fight me

Has nothing to do with how good you are at computers. Windows feature updates reset certain settings to default. For me, the most notable reset were my audio driver settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah well you still have windows installed you idiot

oh snap!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my guest account resets on every update, i'm thinking about using config management app on my single desktop

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my mac os x gives me a choice for when i wish to update, and even then it only takes 120 minutes to download and do the required installations

:smug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is there any tangible benefit (eg good new feature) to updating to the newest microsoft windows 10 essential april 2018 creators update 1803, released in may 2018? or do you guys just get yoru rocks off beta-testing for ms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Roosevelt posted:

my mac os x gives me a choice for when i wish to update, and even then it only takes 120 minutes to download and do the required installations

my windows update gave me a choice too, was downloaded in a few minutes and installed while i had 1 cigarette

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

the choice to be out of date is the foundation of the mac experience

orange sky
May 7, 2007

There's stuff connected to Windows defender atp, 1709 had the OneDrive files on demand feature (best thing ever to use with Teams tbh), stuff like that which can matter if you're a big enterprise

Also if you lag behind a lot you lose support

orange sky fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 5, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

format c:\

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Last Chance posted:

is there any tangible benefit (eg good new feature) to updating to the newest microsoft windows 10 essential april 2018 creators update 1803, released in may 2018? or do you guys just get yoru rocks off beta-testing for ms

there's pretty much no benefit and microsofte is pretty loving poo poo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ReeeeeeeeeeerFS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

ReeeeeeeeeeeiserFS

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

LOADING HACK TOOLS

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah well you still have windows installed you idiot

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

year of our lord 2018 and win 10 still has that issue where any refresh of explorer causes the taskbar icons to blink.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

like seriously microsoft that is some low hanging fruit jank that you should have fixed a while ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Origin posted:

like seriously microsoft that is some low hanging fruit jank that you should have fixed a while ago.

it probably draws taskbar in kernel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Origin posted:

year of our lord 2018 and win 10 still has that issue where any refresh of explorer causes the taskbar icons to blink.

I cant get it to do that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I cant get it to do that.

You’re holding it wrong. You can tell because it’s working the way one would expect.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it only blinks if the window was blinking before as far I know, as in window blinks, then just stays with different blink color not blinking, explorer restarts and it restarts the blinking timer.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd0Rd8w3FZ0

lol satya sounds drunk

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/993515628420939776

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 7, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
today in stupid windows tricks: lexmark drivers will fail to install on a server 2012r2 server after certain updates because a system variable stored in the registry somehow loses a semi-colon at the end of the string

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Origin posted:

there's an app called win aero tweaker (great name btw) that can make this not happen

i mean, if you like to feel bad about your own life decisions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
check out what ur missing on the build live stream:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

i'm glad she got a new job

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
that was mean, im sorry

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

this guy drives a PT Cruiser

orange sky
May 7, 2007

"you can simply drag these blocks"

*Clicks poo poo, blocks don't drag*

I was watching the stream for 10 seconds.

Every drat time. Jesus, Microsoft.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he rides a harley and is really angry that government thugs force him to wear a helmet and inhibit his freedom

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

no, he's too tech for a Harley. he rides one of those trikes with the two wheels in front

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so they're trying to empty out that giant warehouse full of kinects by hooking them up with azure I guess???

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

so, kind of cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

so they're trying to empty out that giant warehouse full of kinects by hooking them up with azure I guess???

..for like mass surveillance or something?

idk, i'm not following this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

..for like mass surveillance or something?

idk, i'm not following this

probably as dev kits. give them apis and software for the sensors, some amount of azure entitlements for a year, "make something"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
developers!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol so 1803 prompted me to run a diagnostic because a built-in app was having problems and their only troubleshooting step was to enable UAC (it was already on)

e: photoshop express is stuck in an endless loop of successfully installing the same app version

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*the app store is trash*~

for whatever reason the app store version of whatsapp installs but fails to run saying you don't have permissions on the executable, but if you browse to the app folder and doubleclick the exe it runs fine. of course there's no way to pin that to start

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i only just rode in one last week and i was impressed by it in a relative sense because that the cabby was bonkers*

i still won't do uber, for personal reasons

i feel like bagging on a pt cruiser is like dissing a miata

http://www.newnownext.com/fake-gay-news-miata-gayest-car/05/2006/

yes my neighbor drove one and yes he is but this is not a fair complaint

*i don't do 911 but i was tempted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

today in windows doesn't know how to use windows: powerpoint popped a save confirmation dialog behind the focused window showing the save location box, effectively blocking the application from receiving any input

30 loving years and they still can't make a window focus model that works