Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PT6A posted:

Why is CanPol's current opinion that, if you use any two things in a simile, you're obviously drawing a direct equivalence between them in all aspects? Helsing did the same thing yesterday for some reason.

David Suzuki, while bad, is obviously orders of magnitude less bad than Pol Pot (as are most people other than Hitler). I am merely suggesting that, in both cases, their bad aspects (which are completely different in terms of how bad they are) should lead them to be disregarded as voices of reason that need to be listened to on matters of any significant importance.

You're a loving idiot, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What power source does Suzuki support then?

E:
http://energyquest4nanticoke.ca/suzuki.htm

quote:

Instead of nuclear, we support the implementation of a multitude of approaches including energy conservation and efficiency measures, as well as renewable sources like wind power, sustainable biomass options, and solar applications. All of these options are cheaper, safer, more versatile, and create more jobs and local self-reliance than nuclear power.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 7, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Why is CanPol's current opinion that, if you use any two things in a simile, you're obviously drawing a direct equivalence between them in all aspects? Helsing did the same thing yesterday for some reason.

David Suzuki, while bad, is obviously orders of magnitude less bad than Pol Pot (as are most people other than Hitler). I am merely suggesting that, in both cases, their bad aspects (which are completely different in terms of how bad they are) should lead them to be disregarded as voices of reason that need to be listened to on matters of any significant importance.

Right, so being kind of a dick is just as intellectually disqualifying as being a literal genocidal dictator. Good to know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Right, so being kind of a dick is just as intellectually disqualifying as being a literal genocidal dictator. Good to know.

Not "just as," but sufficiently so, yes.

Just like Al Franken wasn't as bad as Harvey Weinstein, but they were both bad and needed to go away. Bad things can be bad without all being equally bad.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Every time I think you've redeemed yourself you do poo poo like this. I don't know why you even bother posting.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vintersorg posted:

What power source does Suzuki support then?

E:
http://energyquest4nanticoke.ca/suzuki.htm

We aren't convincing people to use less, they can't afford more efficient gear, wind farms use a LOT of land, "sustainable biomass operations" are hardly realistic to a generation who still can't figure out how to use a green bin without it bursting into maggots and solar doesn't work if the air's so filthy you can't see the sun. Nuke baby nuke.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Pol Pot never showed us his penis on CBC.

I better go check this claim in the archives...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure Pol Pot spent half a decade waving his dick all over south east asia.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Biomass also involves burning stuff which is something we should be moving away from for electrical generation no matter what the fuel source.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you just unironically compare Suzuki to Pol Pot?

I think we have a thread title right here.

Seriously though, I just laughed so hard I started to cry. Thank you CanPol thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You drew a comparison to Pol Pot as a means of saying "Suzuki is a piece of poo poo so don't listen to him even when he's opposing an rear end in a top hat like Kenney".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And they're both Asian... why Pol Pot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Not "just as," but sufficiently so, yes.

Just like Al Franken wasn't as bad as Harvey Weinstein, but they were both bad and needed to go away. Bad things can be bad without all being equally bad.

Just admit you were wrong and move on how is this hard

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

“At time zero you have one cell; one minute you have two; two minutes you have four; three minutes you have eight; four minutes you have 16. That is exponential growth and at 60 minutes the test tube is completely full of bacteria and there is no food left, a sixty minute cycle. When is the test tube only half full? Well the answer of course is at 59 minutes; but a minute later it is filled. So at 58 minutes it is 25% full; 57 minutes 12½ % full. At 55 minutes of the 60 minute cycle it is only 3% full.

So, if at 55 minutes one of the bacteria said to its companions that they had a population problem, the other bacteria would be incredulous because 97% of the test tube would be empty and they had been around for 55 minutes.

Yet they would have only 5 minutes left. At the 58th minute it would only be a quarter full. At the 59th minute, half full, And if just before the hour bacteria scientists invented 3 more test tubes, they would only buy 2 minutes of life: the 60th minute, one test tube full; 61st, two full, 62nd, all four. With no food left, the population crashes. Their technology quadrupled the supply (three more Earths), and bought just TWO MINUTES.

In real life can we add even a fraction of 1% more of air, water, soil or biodiversity? We cannot. The biosphere is fixed and finite -- we are past the 59th minute -- and every biologist I have talked to agrees with me, ”

Look, I'm just saying, out of an abundance of caution, maybe we should make sure Suzuki doesn't get his hands on the last infinity stone.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 7, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he were capable of this, we could have avoided an enormous amount of poo poo in this thread over the years tbh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he could do this the thread would probably half as long :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Look, I'm just saying, out of an abundance of caution, maybe we should make sure Suzuki doesn't get his hands on the last infinity stone.

"Hmm I wonder if modern population growth is exponential?"
<checks graph>
"No, no it is not."

:thunk:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even if it was, that kind of glosses over the fact that population growth has always been tied to the carrying capacity of the ecosystem. The population in ancient China exploded because they developed a way to double the annual rice harvest - the invention came first, it wasn't in response to a population that was way too high to sustain. Saying "we're going to run out of space soon!" ignores the fact that we've hit peak population tons of times in the past and instead of growing too far beyond it until mass starvation kills off the species, we just kind of sit at peak until someone invents something that raises it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hahaha, what the christ PT6A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Argas posted:

Hahaha, what the christ PT6A

Suzuki is poo poo, hth.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I didn't make a claim (beyond "Suzuki is poo poo" which is trivially correct) so I don't see how I can be wrong. I can admit that people who like Suzuki may have found his presence in a simile with a mass murderer distasteful, but that's a different thing from it being wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Suzuki is poo poo, hth.

I didn't make a claim (beyond "Suzuki is poo poo" which is trivially correct) so I don't see how I can be wrong. I can admit that people who like Suzuki may have found his presence in a simile with a mass murderer distasteful, but that's a different thing from it being wrong.

Omfg what is wrong with you why are you doubling down

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PT6A posted:

Well, Pol Pot worked tirelessly against the menace of human overpopulation too, but I suggest we could find better representatives for environmentalism if we tried even moderately hard.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I thought you were supposed to be the only a bit of an rear end in a top hat but more or less decent Alberta Guy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What is wrong with you that you can't admit Suzuki is a garbage person with a broken brain who should not be listened to?

The fact that he has brought environmentalism into the public eye doesn't change the fact that he's an idiot and shouldn't be listened to. That's the whole point. Do you disagree with that?

Why listen to Suzuki when we could listen to other scientist-entertainers like Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who also advocate for many of the same causes but without the nonsense and being complete assholes?

EDIT: I'll admit I find it hilarious how much my comments have upset people. I think I get why people enjoy trolling now, it's fun even when it happens by accident!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 7, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Karl Marx personally slaughtered 800 gazillion noble German soldiers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

What is wrong with you that you can't admit Suzuki is a garbage person with a broken brain who should not be listened to?

The fact that he has brought environmentalism into the public eye doesn't change the fact that he's an idiot and shouldn't be listened to. That's the whole point. Do you disagree with that?

Why listen to Suzuki when we could listen to other scientist-entertainers like Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who also advocate for many of the same causes but without the nonsense and being complete assholes?

EDIT: I'll admit I find it hilarious how much my comments have upset people. I think I get why people enjoy trolling now, it's fun even when it happens by accident!

Literally none of that has anything to do with comparing him to Pol Pot.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's trying to play puppet master now that he's made a complete idiot of himself by comparing Suzuki with Pol Pot.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I thought you were supposed to be the only a bit of an rear end in a top hat but more or less decent Alberta Guy.

I really don't understand why people think that PT6A is a reasonable human of some sort just because he doesn't vote Conservative anymore, he's still a conservative piece of poo poo. Not hating gay people isn't enough to make you a good person, it's just the baseline of what should be expected for common decency.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lol Marx was way better than Suzuki is, and I say that as someone who is not a particularly large fan of Marx.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PT6A posted:

nice meltdown

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally none of that has anything to do with comparing him to Pol Pot.

The Pol Pot thing was just to illustrate a point, I'm not actually comparing Suzuki substantively to Pol Pot. The fact that you purposefully misread my comments on this over and over again leads me to believe you are arguing in bad faith.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Suzuki is poo poo, hth.

Haha, you think I give a poo poo about Suzuki.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ChairMaster posted:

He's trying to play puppet master now that he's made a complete idiot of himself by comparing Suzuki with Pol Pot.

I really don't understand why people think that PT6A is a reasonable human of some sort just because he doesn't vote Conservative anymore, he's still a conservative piece of poo poo. Not hating gay people isn't enough to make you a good person, it's just the baseline of what should be expected for common decency.

We're from/in Alberta, dude.

It's a low bar for basic decency around here, I claim, even as I desperately try to hold back my despair at having to make this admission, given that I was born and raised here and know there are at least a few genuinely good people too and also have no financial capability to move away and am also bound by my need to care for my dementia-ravaged grandmother and ailing mother despite my own crippling chronic health problems and poverty.

Look, I'm basically saying that deluding ourselves that at least half of this goddamn province's population are under that low bar and not completely worthy of righteous culling is the only thing that keeps some of us going, so don't judge me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

The Pol Pot thing was just to illustrate a point, I'm not actually comparing Suzuki substantively to Pol Pot. The fact that you purposefully misread my comments on this over and over again leads me to believe you are arguing in bad faith.

It's a Godwin's Law thing. When you compare someone to someone that terrible, even in a "this is intentionally hyperbole" kind of way, it just weakens your overall point. That's why people are fixating on it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

May as well cut to the finish line and tell us you're sorry that we're offended.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
After all these years I think PT6A becomes aroused by negative attention and probably masturbates furiously to your replies, which is why everyone should have just put him on ignore by now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's a Godwin's Law thing. When you compare someone to someone that terrible, even in a "this is intentionally hyperbole" kind of way, it just weakens your overall point. That's why people are fixating on it.

Fair enough. I wanted to be provocative, because I do really, really dislike Suzuki, but it's fair to say that it has, at this point, undermined the point I was attempting to make, and as such was a rhetorical misstep even if it wasn't actually wrong in any way.

Argas posted:

May as well cut to the finish line and tell us you're sorry that we're offended.

I'm not sorry you're offended. On the contrary, I find it quite amusing how offended you all manage to be over this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tighclops posted:

After all these years I think PT6A becomes aroused by negative attention and probably masturbates furiously to your replies, which is why everyone should have just put him on ignore by now

He can be well-meaning and make decent points from time-to-time. At other times though he's determined to swim to the very bottom of the posting dumpster rather than just float in it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If I find any cbc footage of Pol Pot's donger I'll upstate the thread.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Fair enough. I wanted to be provocative, because I do really, really dislike Suzuki, but it's fair to say that it has, at this point, undermined the point I was attempting to make, and as such was a rhetorical misstep even if it wasn't actually wrong in any way.

I'm not sorry you're offended. On the contrary, I find it quite amusing how offended you all manage to be over this.

I'm more amused and disappointed at how easy it is for you to completely sink yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Argas posted:

I'm more amused and disappointed at how easy it is for you to completely sink yourself.

It's safe to say I wanted to provoke some reaction, but even I'm surprised how angry people got about it.