Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

AceClown posted:

Yeah not clicking that

I thought it would be uncomfortable cringe but spoilers its1 just MaRo being a goof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah, MaRo acting like a lunatic is always fun. I wish I had whatever drugs he’s been on for 30 years.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Who is going to SCG Con?

What events are you doing?

My brother is doing the Open; but I'm not up for that poo poo. NBL modern seems like a crapshoot I'm not interested in playing

Debating between:
- 3 day infinite challenge and just having a good time dicking around / playing magic
- 2 day inifite + Sunday legacy classic
- Duel for Duals but I dont need any duals and being able to get food with relative flexibility seems clutch

But still entirely up in the air; what about everyone else?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tainen posted:

Enjoy this video featuring a old tiny man yelling about a children's card game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIblOyhMudk

Maro reminding me more and more of Doc Brown

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Take this as a ribbing, but "I had the best deck in the room" is what the guy who lost says.

This is fair. But I beat the decks i lost to in the swiss plus there were mulligans involved and pretty large differences in quality of draws. Obviously it's my opinion but the deck did seem very strong.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, MaRo acting like a lunatic is always fun. I wish I had whatever drugs he’s been on for 30 years.

Hash browns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a thread for MTG Arena beta?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Feel free to talk about it here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

*in a spooky ghost pirate voice*
...you're in one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Naban is objectively worse than the Phantasmal Image I took out of 5c Humans to make room for him, but objectively ten million times more fun.

What other Human Fun-Ofs would you guys recommend trying in MB? Right now I have Naban/Tap Thalia/Kessig Malcontents and I'm having a blast with all of them.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Who is going to SCG Con?

What events are you doing?

My brother is doing the Open; but I'm not up for that poo poo. NBL modern seems like a crapshoot I'm not interested in playing

Debating between:
- 3 day infinite challenge and just having a good time dicking around / playing magic
- 2 day inifite + Sunday legacy classic
- Duel for Duals but I dont need any duals and being able to get food with relative flexibility seems clutch

But still entirely up in the air; what about everyone else?

I'm going with some buddies. I'll be playing some sort of Dark Depths deck in NBL modern just because I never get an excuse to use those cards. Don't know what I"ll do Sunday when I scrub out Saturday, maybe pauper? Seems like a fun time, I need to figure out which brewery/bar/restaurant to spend friday and saturday evening at.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is the Arena beta open to the public yet or is it still an invite lottery?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think one aspect of Duels I never really appreciated before was its limit on rare and mythic playsets. Forcing top tier decks to play less optimal rares and mythics smoothed out the transition between new and old players by reducing the consistency of top tier decks. Running into a UW approach or UB scarab god with full playsets of their pieces is like hitting a brick wall as a new player. Red deck wins will beat you but doesn't feel nearly as bad to play.

Also giving new players a ton of wildcards is a very bad decision because nobody knows what wildcards are or that the flower button shows you cards you don't have. Right now, by the time your average new player figures out how the vault economy works, it makes more sense for them to quit and make a new account because they've set themselves back by a month or two just clicking around the deck builder.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

qbert posted:

Is the Arena beta open to the public yet or is it still an invite lottery?

Still invite only but they seem to continue to send out new keys regularly. I wouldn't expect it to go into open beta until the fall.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got timer wins twice in a row vs. some very angry people.

Buddy, if I minded waiting a little bit, I wouldn't be playing UW Approach.

Incredibly, some other guy stuck it out for like 5+ turns of Teferi emblem just Infinity Warsing him out of existence.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I think one aspect of Duels I never really appreciated before was its limit on rare and mythic playsets. Forcing top tier decks to play less optimal rares and mythics smoothed out the transition between new and old players by reducing the consistency of top tier decks. Running into a UW approach or UB scarab god with full playsets of their pieces is like hitting a brick wall as a new player. Red deck wins will beat you but doesn't feel nearly as bad to play.

Also giving new players a ton of wildcards is a very bad decision because nobody knows what wildcards are or that the flower button shows you cards you don't have. Right now, by the time your average new player figures out how the vault economy works, it makes more sense for them to quit and make a new account because they've set themselves back by a month or two just clicking around the deck builder.

It really needs an optional hand-holdy tutorial ("Your cat deck works pretty good. But it could be even better with another Regal Caracal, which makes all of your cats stronger! Click on the regal caracal, and redeem one of your wildcards." or whatever)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

Still invite only but they seem to continue to send out new keys regularly. I wouldn't expect it to go into open beta until the fall.

I'd guess it'll be with Core, since putting Kaladesh in (supposed to be next) would be a waste otherwise.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

This is fair. But I beat the decks i lost to in the swiss plus there were mulligans involved and pretty large differences in quality of draws. Obviously it's my opinion but the deck did seem very strong.
In my experience a deck you "think is strong" before playing has about a 65% chance of being room temp garbage, whereas the deck you think is a pile of 1-2 color crap has about an 80% chance of taking you 6-0.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Speaking of arena beta I went nuts with a bunch of wildcards and crafted monowhite knights + Lyra the other day and it’s decently fun and doing very well so far. I still need to make another Marshal, etc. though. Once I have a bunch of extra rare wildcards to burn on lands I might try the BW version.

Was also messing around with a GW version including Shalai, but that keeps turning into more of a generic goodstuff deck. There’s also the inconvenient fact that you can’t realistically cast Marshals or Steel Leaf Champions on curve, so that makes either monocolor deck more attractive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I miss playing weirdo jank like BUG Elemental Bond because most of the good cards were low-count.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

I'd guess it'll be with Core, since putting Kaladesh in (supposed to be next) would be a waste otherwise.

I used to think Core but the big features they said will be part of the open release still seem far away. They have said open beta will include best of 3s, full 8 person pod drafting, sealed and seasons. We are six months into closed beta and haven't even gotten best of three in casual constructed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hauki posted:

There’s also the inconvenient fact that you can’t realistically cast Marshals or Steel Leaf Champions on curve, so that makes either monocolor deck more attractive.

If you're willing to blow the wildcards I bet 4 scattered groves, 4 sunpetal groves, and 4 unclaimed territories you could have some degree of consistency with this. 8 rare wildcards on lands is a bit steep though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Full disclosure: I've been playing Magic since 1994 and I wasted all my starting wildcards on Arena because I didn't know how the economy or the deck-builder interface worked. If I can't figure it out then casuals don't have a chance.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you're willing to blow the wildcards I bet 4 scattered groves, 4 sunpetal groves, and 4 unclaimed territories you could have some degree of consistency with this. 8 rare wildcards on lands is a bit steep though.

Yeah, I might if I run into a bunch, but I blew a ton of wild cards crafting the rest of the deck already. I think I’ve got like 16 ea. C/U, 0 rare and 2 or 3 mythic left at the moment. I wish you could like... upgrade or downgrade rarities somehow. Or just use a drat dust system.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Full disclosure: I've been playing Magic since 1994 and I wasted all my starting wildcards on Arena because I didn't know how the economy or the deck-builder interface worked. If I can't figure it out then casuals don't have a chance.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat, my stompy deck has fallen to pieces since it turns out Heart of Kiran and Blossoming Defense are pretty integral to your deck functioning properly. Ever Since I've been trying to transition into another deck but since a ton of my wildcards got tied up in the stompy deck I don't have enough left over to build anything half decent with it.

Wildcards either need a higher droprate from packs or the vault needs to open way WAY faster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah I'm in a similar boat, my stompy deck has fallen to pieces since it turns out Heart of Kiran and Blossoming Defense are pretty integral to your deck functioning properly. Ever Since I've been trying to transition into another deck but since a ton of my wildcards got tied up in the stompy deck I don't have enough left over to build anything half decent with it.

Wildcards either need a higher droprate from packs or the vault needs to open way WAY faster.

they want you to get frustrated and spend irl money :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

they want you to get frustrated and spend irl money :v:

I already spent irl money and I'm still up poo poo creek

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have paid; to win. I would feel ashamed but that's basically what constructed is in paper, too, so :shrug:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Hearthstone does this well. Restricting players to 1 of each legendary per deck and having them be build arounds as opposed to just strong cards is pretty a good balance. Sure they still run into the problem with many epics being incredibly strong, but almost all the necessary cards per class such as removal and efficient creatures are common or rare.

Everyone complaining about rare wildcards being the limiting factor on Arena is tied to the fact that Wizards prints pretty much every constructed playable card at rare or mythic. Rare dual lands are probably the most annoying part of building a deck but it's their money-maker so they aren't changing anytime soon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have paid; to win. I would feel ashamed but that's basically what constructed is in paper, too, so :shrug:

Yeah but in constructed if I spend $30 I get a Teferi, and in Arena I get the chance at a Teferi and not even a very good one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

I already spent irl money and I'm still up poo poo creek

then they want you to spend more!

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah but in constructed if I spend $30 I get a Teferi, and in Arena I get the chance at a Teferi and not even a very good one.

you'd need to run the math but i suspect that for $30 you have a reasonably solid chance of a mythic wildcard plus other stuff you would want

Hauki
May 11, 2010

evilweasel posted:

you'd need to run the math but i suspect that for $30 you have a reasonably solid chance of a mythic wildcard plus other stuff you would want

I was honestly surprised at how many wildcards I got off $50. Probably at least 3-4 raw mythics, an assortment of lower rarities plus popping vault twice or so in the process. Not sure offhand how many actual mythics I got in the packs themselves, but a fair number. Granted, they were virtually all Muldrotha & Darigaaz but I’ve got playsets of those now? :shrug:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

then they want you to spend more!

As a recovered IAP addict, they really reel you in with poo poo like this.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The thing is, the paper cards have value. You get some return in your investment in paper cards. Not so much on digital cardboard.

Basically paper Magic lets me satisfy the addictive side of my personality while satisfying the logical side as well. If I ever choose to sell out of Magic, I'll get a healthy chunk of cash out of the exchange. Money spent on digital stuff may as well be ejected into the aether.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 7, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Nothing in MTG Arena is for your entertainment. It literally only exists to get you to play because its "free" when you otherwise wouldn't, and then tries to see how many of you it can frustrate into paying money when you wouldn't have even played it in the first place. Its a trap. MTGO is probably going to end up cheaper in the long run, even if you never ever sell anything before it rotates.

I thought I would play this because it because it would be a cheaper way to play standard, but real standard decks require about 15 mythics each unless you just play 16 counterspells and a singleton wincon. Even if you could buy rare wildcards for 1k gold each and mythics for 5k, it would still take you months to finish a deck without paying.

Edit: If this doesn't change by release, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. Play MTGO instead. Once they wipe my collection im probably done with this unless it gets a lot better.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MODO is buggy and ugly but I still like actually playing Magic in it a lot more than I do in Arena, and the economy is way better.

Also, Arena will probably never have any of the badass cubes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A Moose posted:

Nothing in MTG Arena is for your entertainment. It literally only exists to get you to play because its "free" when you otherwise wouldn't, and then tries to see how many of you it can frustrate into paying money when you wouldn't have even played it in the first place. Its a trap. MTGO is probably going to end up cheaper in the long run, even if you never ever sell anything before it rotates.

I thought I would play this because it because it would be a cheaper way to play standard, but real standard decks require about 15 mythics each unless you just play 16 counterspells and a singleton wincon. Even if you could buy rare wildcards for 1k gold each and mythics for 5k, it would still take you months to finish a deck without paying.

Edit: If this doesn't change by release, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. Play MTGO instead. Once they wipe my collection im probably done with this unless it gets a lot better.

Counterpoint: MODO is stone cold dead when Arena goes Live.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Counterpoint: MODO is stone cold dead when Arena goes Live.

I really don't think this will be the case.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It will be on life support most definitely. They'll do the absolute minimum which is ensure new sets are implemented and the most egregious rules bugs maybe are fixed and call it a day. Once arena has rankings and events that qualify you for invite only tournaments like the mocs or pro tour pros will be forced over and that will be that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Arena will likely never have non-standard formats or non-contemporary draft formats. Even if you ignore the actual play experience (which is a lot worse in Arena IMO), I think MODO offers a lot that Arena doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fadam posted:

I really don't think this will be the case.

at the end of the day, given how :effort: they are on MODO currently, i don't think there's enough people who want to play magic online to support two different games with two different economies that both require constant injection of new money

if arena really takes off then perhaps most players are new players leaving plenty to support MODO but i sorta doubt it