Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah I just posted recently about a friend trying to buy a $5000 fz07 but the dealer wanting to add $2500 in fees. It's good though, it keeps me from ever doing something like buying a brand new bike.

Same deal, but on a $1999 CBR300, $2500 in fees.

Way to go, guys. I told them I had $3000 cash, and they wouldn't budge below $4k. That's double the sticker price. I get they need to make a buck, but when you're just gonna tack on $2500 to anything, it kinda makes a difference if it's a $30,000 harley or a $2000 honda.

They also wouldn't just sell me "a battery" without a part number. I was building a battery box, so I just needed something AGM and cheap and about <THIS big> and the guy wouldn't even look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Same deal, but on a $1999 CBR300, $2500 in fees.

Way to go, guys. I told them I had $3000 cash, and they wouldn't budge below $4k. That's double the sticker price. I get they need to make a buck, but when you're just gonna tack on $2500 to anything, it kinda makes a difference if it's a $30,000 harley or a $2000 honda.

They also wouldn't just sell me "a battery" without a part number. I was building a battery box, so I just needed something AGM and cheap and about <THIS big> and the guy wouldn't even look.

This is why everyone is turning to online markets. A lot of shops just aren't bothered actually providing a service, which is literally why people are willing to pay a little more for the same thing.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coredump posted:

In Georgia if a dealer advertises a price they can only add tax and title. The dealer fees etc. they can blow out their rear end. I’ve tangled with the last dealer over that and got them to cut me a check for the bullshit fees after talking to consumer protection division of Georgia.

http://consumer.ga.gov/uploads/Auto_Informer_-Issue_12_-_2013-11-14.pdf

that's surprising to hear, and good to know. i'm helping a new rider friend look for a bike and MMS had an r3 listed for 3k... then when you talk to them they add on like 1k of fees

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Does that Georgia consumer protection work for out-of-state people?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beach Bum posted:

Does that Georgia consumer protection work for out-of-state people?

Georgia businesses operating in Georgia are subject to Georgia law. Whether you get any traction with the threat and whether the Georgia CPB cares about you, a not-Georgian, are separate questions.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Finally found a dealer who doesn't play games with pricing - by going through Costco, of all things - and put a deposit down on a bike. They didn't have any FZ-09s on the floor and actually went through the trouble of doing an inventory transfer to get me one.

Now I have to get the Multi ready to sell and mentally prepare for the usual tire kickers and lowballers. Good times

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fun Fact in Kentucky if someone kicks your tires you're legally allowed to kick their face

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
CUNTS

Beautiful bank holiday weekend, got all the stuff I need to fix up the zzr, go outside just now to get started... and all that's there is the cover, lying in the street. Some fuckers must have shown up in the night and lifted it into a transit.

IT WASN'T EVEN loving WORKING YOU ASSHOLES. It wasn't even all there! I still have the belly pan sitting in my living room!

God I'm steamed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On the bright side, that beautiful little F2 ninjette I was gushing over last month still hasn't been sold, so I've called the owner and I'm going over to see it tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

CUNTS

Beautiful bank holiday weekend, got all the stuff I need to fix up the zzr, go outside just now to get started... and all that's there is the cover, lying in the street. Some fuckers must have shown up in the night and lifted it into a transit.

IT WASN'T EVEN loving WORKING YOU ASSHOLES. It wasn't even all there! I still have the belly pan sitting in my living room!

God I'm steamed.

loving scrotes. Same thing happened to me a few years back, and I'd just finished fixing it and putting it back together the night before! Hope your insurance doesn't dick you around on payout.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, police found it in the woods behind the next village over, and frankly I wish they hadn't. Everything with a keyhole near it has been kicked to poo poo in search of valuables, the number plate is missing, it's been dropped on its left side yet again, and they've had the tank off and tried to hotwire it (ripping the wires out right next to the ignition). If it doesn't have an interlock to stop it running when the oil is low (I can't remember if it does) then they may well have had it running, and gently caress knows what that's done to the engine with no oil in there.

But, and here's the really loving majestic part, the fuzz are telling me it's got no MOT (my documentation is... not well organised, and neither is my memory), so my insurance is completely void. :cripes:

They let me off with a warning rather than dob me in to traffic enforcement or whoever, but yeah. I feel like a huge dumbass and this is the worst day ever and I am seriously considering Chichevaching this bike rather than attempt to push it 3 miles home and have it sit immobile in front of my house forever as a reminder of what a colossal fuckwit I am.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh that sucks. Maybe part it out on ebay? That’s how you’ll get the most money out of it honestly.

Everyone who gets a bike stolen and recovered basically says “I wish it wasn’t found” because the thieves are never nice and you can basically never figure out exactly what they did and how they did it.

Sorry, that sucks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Welp, police found it in the woods behind the next village over, and frankly I wish they hadn't. Everything with a keyhole near it has been kicked to poo poo in search of valuables, the number plate is missing, it's been dropped on its left side yet again, and they've had the tank off and tried to hotwire it (ripping the wires out right next to the ignition). If it doesn't have an interlock to stop it running when the oil is low (I can't remember if it does) then they may well have had it running, and gently caress knows what that's done to the engine with no oil in there.

But, and here's the really loving majestic part, the fuzz are telling me it's got no MOT (my documentation is... not well organised, and neither is my memory), so my insurance is completely void. :cripes:

They let me off with a warning rather than dob me in to traffic enforcement or whoever, but yeah. I feel like a huge dumbass and this is the worst day ever and I am seriously considering Chichevaching this bike rather than attempt to push it 3 miles home and have it sit immobile in front of my house forever as a reminder of what a colossal fuckwit I am.

:lol: you can't insurance fraud without insurance

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Not being British, I don't understand most of this. Your motor vehicle insurance won't pay out if it's stolen if it hasn't passed a safety inspection? And you'll get penalized if your poo poo is stolen without having been safety inspected? Even though it was being worked on at the time and not on the road? So in England, you are required to maintain insure and inspect your vehicles so that thieves can steal it safely and without hassle and you'll face penalties if you don't? Is it like illegal to work on your own vehicles on this hellish dystopian island? Do The Running Man or Fury Road seem oddly familiar to British moviegoers?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

I know. :sigh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not being British, I don't understand most of this. Your motor vehicle insurance won't pay out if it's stolen if it hasn't passed a safety inspection? And you'll get penalized if your poo poo is stolen without having been safety inspected? Even though it was being worked on at the time and not on the road? So in England, you are required to maintain insure and inspect your vehicles so that thieves can steal it safely and without hassle and you'll face penalties if you don't? Is it like illegal to work on your own vehicles on this hellish dystopian island?

It is a legal requirement to have a roadworthiness check done once a year(ish). If the certificate goes out of date, it is legal to ride to a test centre and back home (provided you make an appointment, so you can prove it if you're stopped) regardless of whether you pass the inspection there. If you don't get the inspection done in a timely fashion, it is not legal to have the vehicle on any public road (even parked); you either get the inspection done, or declare the vehicle Off The Road (and garage it somewhere), otherwise it can be seized.

It is also a legal requirement to purchase at minium third party insurance if you want to ride. It is stated in the legal blurb of all available insurance that the vehicle must be road legal. Not having a vaild MOT certificate meant my bike was not road legal, and my insurers don't need to pay out anything. It's not some weird THIEVES' HUMAN RIGHTS thing.

I wasn't picked up because traffic enforcement (and the police generally) are extremely starved of funds right now, and also they don't tend to do things like scan random number plates just in the off chance someone is breaking a law, because they don't get paid for prosecutions like in some countries I could mention.

Do The Running Man or Fury Road seem oddly familiar to British moviegoers?

Yes, but not for any of the reasons you're probably imagining.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Not being British, I don't understand most of this. Your motor vehicle insurance won't pay out if it's stolen if it hasn't passed a safety inspection? And you'll get penalized if your poo poo is stolen without having been safety inspected? Even though it was being worked on at the time and not on the road? So in England, you are required to maintain insure and inspect your vehicles so that thieves can steal it safely and without hassle and you'll face penalties if you don't? Is it like illegal to work on your own vehicles on this hellish dystopian island? Do The Running Man or Fury Road seem oddly familiar to British moviegoers?

MOT the annual inspection, but technically you can't tax or insure a bike for the road without it. Imagine a license plate sticker that you can't get without an annual inspection, and that your insurance company requires you to have (which you don't because you didn't get the inspection done in time), only instead of a sticker it's all stored in centralized databases so only the CCTV* cameras can tell if you're valid or not.
You can register your vehicle as SORN if you don't intent to use it for a while (like, if you're working on it, or using as a moss substrate), and insure it as such, but there's where the fine print of your policy is going to bite you.
Basically his plates expired because no inspection, so insurance says "you promised to not let the plates expire, too bad".

*is it really "closed circuit" if it's all networked now? Or is it "as opposed to broadcast"?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

you've finally been topped. i'm still waiting for my shining idiot to come along

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

*is it really "closed circuit" if it's all networked now? Or is it "as opposed to broadcast"?

The network is still a closed circuit, just a very, very big one.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Razzled posted:

that's surprising to hear, and good to know. i'm helping a new rider friend look for a bike and MMS had an r3 listed for 3k... then when you talk to them they add on like 1k of fees

The caveat is if you negotiate a price off sticker than what I said earlier is off the table. They can add in the dealer fees, etc. What you have to do is look to see if the invoice they have would be cheaper than what you can negotiate minus the fees since you will be getting those back later.

The shady-rear end dealer I worked with was trying to bargain with me to leave a good review before they would cut me the check. I so wished I had recorded the conversation to send to the CPB so they could hear it and really ream that dealership. The thing is I would bet 99.9% of dealers in the state of Georgia are doing this. I think the CPB needs to be doing more to put an end to this than what they're doing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Neighbours had a bunch of cameras pointed at the only entrance to the street, turns out no van was involved, just sixteen guys :psyduck:

BRB, buying three more chains, two ground anchors, and a box of surplus flashbangs to use as an alarm.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sixteen?! That is quite a lot of teamwork for a single bike. Sorry your bike got swarmed. :stare:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dealers are all sorts of hilarious idiots. the dealership in canton gave me a gently caress off price when i was shoppin DRZs (like 8.5k otd) and then he called back after i had already bought it elsewhere and got butthurt that i didn't "give them a chance".

hey guy, i don't want to play games with you all month so if you want to make a sale then don't play games

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

What part of the country? I have a van.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

dealers are all sorts of hilarious idiots. the dealership in canton gave me a gently caress off price when i was shoppin DRZs (like 8.5k otd) and then he called back after i had already bought it elsewhere and got butthurt that i didn't "give them a chance".

hey guy, i don't want to play games with you all month so if you want to make a sale then don't play games

I got the same poo poo from a dealer last week after I'd already given them a price from another dealer and asked if they'd match it. When I walked out the sales manager told me to give them a call if I changed my mind. He called me back at the end of the week and got offended when I told him I'd already put a deposit down at another dealer about 45 minutes away.

You had your chance dude. People are willing to drive a few miles for several hundred dollars, who knew.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Neighbours had a bunch of cameras pointed at the only entrance to the street, turns out no van was involved, just sixteen guys :psyduck:

BRB, buying three more chains, two ground anchors, and a box of surplus flashbangs to use as an alarm.

sounds more like kids - that's what happened to one of my bikes, with identical results. Gave it to my nephew after it was recovered (I'd already bought a replacement), it took him basically a week of solid work to fix all the electrical fuckups they'd made in their attempt to hotwire a bike you could start with a spoon handle. Gonna go ahead and assume that it never even occurred to them the bike was a kickstart and that's why they couldn't get it to run.

Was it actually chained to something solid? That's normally enough to keep away all but the most determined, and you have to hope - if anyone does manage to get past it - that either the noise will be enough to attract attention or they'll also be pro enough for the bike never to be recovered.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I loved the mirrors on my Bandit: stayed in position, easily folded in for work parking or putting the cover on, never had a problem. Also came with spacers, which I got used to in a hurry.

New bike has a nice combo of a) cheese bolts holding the mirrors on, and b) PO ham fisting the things til there's not a lot of grip left when trying to adjust them. So now they're either tight as gently caress or loose enough to flop over in traffic. Ugh.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Shelvocke posted:

What part of the country? I have a van.

Northwest side of greater manchester.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

sounds more like kids - that's what happened to one of my bikes, with identical results.

Was it actually chained to something solid?

I haven't seen the video, just stills, but neighbours say it looked it was one adult with a phone and what might have been a bag of tools, and fifteen kids who showed up about 40 minutes later.

It wasn't chained to a drat thing. I could make excuses, but... yeah. It could easily have been much more secure than it was. I've applied to the council to see if there's any garages available nearby to rent, and asked if they'll consider putting a ground anchor in the street.

The GPX is light and narrow enough that I might be able to get it through the garden gate and down the hill to keep behind my house. If I can't then I guess I'm renting a storage unit 2 miles away to put it in until I can figure something out. The walk would do me good at least. :sigh:

Either way I'm looking at alarm kits as well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Keep it in your living room!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
South coast. In another life.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So remember literally yesterday when I was consoling myself with the fact that I could at least salvage a few parts from the zzr to use or sell? Yeah, about that

Mother

loving

CUNTS

There are actually two silver linings here though: 1) my chain (which I'd looped through the frame) is completely untouched, and apart from a little ash gumming up the padlock, it still works fine, and 2) I finally got the kick I needed to move out of this godforsaken hellhole asap!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I cant tell from the Blair Witch Project stills you posted, but did they steal your bike again? Goddamn dude.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like they melted it?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Am I reading this correctly and you got your bike stolen (the same bike) twice in like the last week?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

So remember literally yesterday when I was consoling myself with the fact that I could at least salvage a few parts from the zzr to use or sell? Yeah, about that

Mother

loving

CUNTS

There are actually two silver linings here though: 1) my chain (which I'd looped through the frame) is completely untouched, and apart from a little ash gumming up the padlock, it still works fine, and 2) I finally got the kick I needed to move out of this godforsaken hellhole asap!

Dude, you are so loving bad at this....

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
just to reiterate-- insurance fraud only works when you have insurance

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You started that fire didn’t you.......

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
RR- Did they steal your bike again or set it on fire? I can't figure out which would be worse. Also, what is with your hellhole country that they won't insure for this since you haven't passed some inspection.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You started that fire didn’t you.......

No, it was always burning since the worlds been turning.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coydog posted:

Also, what is with your hellhole country that they won't insure for this since you haven't passed some inspection.

He said Manchester, so I'm guessing UK.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

He said Manchester, so I'm guessing UK.

"Oy guv'nah, you gotta loicence for that chain weapon there m8? We're also finnin yea for leavin rubbish lying about, and did you have a fire? Eah ya' better come with us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

RR- Did they steal your bike again or set it on fire? I can't figure out which would be worse. Also, what is with your hellhole country that they won't insure for this since you haven't passed some inspection.

Looks like both. I had the chain wrapped around a frame spar and around two sections of the steel fence pictured. Impossible to remove without cutting something, and it looks like they opted to cut the bike's frame apart instead of try the chain.

Whether this occurred before or after they set fire to the rest of it, I have no idea. They seem to have made off with all the metal bits, what's there just looks like the plastics and wiring loom, and also a little bit of the rear shock. The only thing I can imagine that makes any sense at all (other than the fire being a big "gently caress you") is they maybe thought it was found via tracker and decided they were happy just having the wheels, engine, and forks if it meant they didn't get found again, and so burned all the electrical bits just to be sure.

I honestly have no idea though. :sigh: