Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I made carnitas tonight and have a lot of left over braised and shredded pork that I'm going to use for lunches this week. Would it better to leave it as is, or crisp it up first? Will be added to some rice and heated up in a microwave. Would the crispness surviving refrigerating and a microwave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

theres a will theres moe posted:

I wonder if a ricer would skin the beans

I don't know, that's an interesting question. If it skins beans you might be able to use it for smoother hummus. Ricer it first, then blend the riced chickpeas with fewer skins. But it may also clog up the ricer or just pass through small skin bits.

I prefer my refried beans not totally smooth and fairly wet so a good mashing is just right for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I made carnitas tonight and have a lot of left over braised and shredded pork that I'm going to use for lunches this week. Would it better to leave it as is, or crisp it up first? Will be added to some rice and heated up in a microwave. Would the crispness surviving refrigerating and a microwave?

No, it wouldn't, but it depends on you how much that matters. For what it's worth, I would personally store it braised and shredded and just crisp it up in a pan at home and deal with microwaving and the soft texture at work.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I say leave it as is after braised and thow it on a salad of roman with some street corn. add some grape tomato a lil cilatro and you have a great south western salad. we buy a cilantro lime ranch dressing. Just eat it cold for lunches. This is something me and the wife do for meal preps.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you wanna go really authentic, try to find alley or ditch corn.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here in the Philippines, a lot of cooking ingredients are hard to come by. I was looking for grapeseed oil and couldn't find any, but I recently discovered that grapeseed oil is sold as some kind of beauty product. Does this kind of grapeseed oil have anything added that makes it unsuitable for cooking, or can I use this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Argue posted:

Here in the Philippines, a lot of cooking ingredients are hard to come by. I was looking for grapeseed oil and couldn't find any, but I recently discovered that grapeseed oil is sold as some kind of beauty product. Does this kind of grapeseed oil have anything added that makes it unsuitable for cooking, or can I use this?

It probably has additives. Please don't eat beauty products.

Is there a reason you need grapeseed oil specifically? If you need an oil with a high smoke point you can use rice bran oil instead for example. If it's just a neutral tasting oil you need then sunflower or soya oil might work.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah I just needed something with a high smoke point. Canola is the highest smoke point oil I could find here, but I haven't tried any specialty stores or higher end groceries yet. Sunflower oil sounds like something I may have seen at one before so I'll look for that; thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clarify some butter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Argue posted:

Yeah I just needed something with a high smoke point. Canola is the highest smoke point oil I could find here, but I haven't tried any specialty stores or higher end groceries yet. Sunflower oil sounds like something I may have seen at one before so I'll look for that; thanks.

Sunflower doesn't really have a high smoke point per sé, it was just an example of a neutral-tasting oil if that was your goal.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh whoops! Well anyway I'll just have to show a store employee the list of high smoke point oils I found and just hope they have one in stock.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

theres a will theres moe posted:

I wonder if a ricer would skin the beans

It does not. And when you try, it is nightmarish to clean

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s summer! That means it’s gonna get hot, and I don’t wanna warm up the apartment with my oven or stove. What’s some easy (and preferably healthy) summer dishes? I usually make salads and sandwiches, but maybe there’s stuff I’m missing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Argue posted:

Canola oil is fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I’m going to make either butter chicken or chicken mole. I have a whole chicken. Should I bake the whole thing then break it up and finish it in sauce? Break it down and cook it in pieces in the oven or on the stove? Poach it in the sauce?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

It’s summer! That means it’s gonna get hot, and I don’t wanna warm up the apartment with my oven or stove. What’s some easy (and preferably healthy) summer dishes? I usually make salads and sandwiches, but maybe there’s stuff I’m missing?

I like doing large batch dishes, like I made a big pot of curry yesterday which I can eat for the next week or so by freezing about half of it, that way I only use the stove occasionally.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

It involves the oven, but I do love making quiche in the summer. And it’s great for using up anything you have lying around.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Sunflower doesn't really have a high smoke point per sé, it was just an example of a neutral-tasting oil if that was your goal.

I thought (refined) sunflower oil had a fairly high smoke point, comparable to grapeseed oil.

Safflower oil is another one to look out for, that has a high smoke point.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Suet has a high smoke point. If you go to a butcher and ask, you can probably get some of the fat for next to nothing (you need the hard fat from around a cow's kidneys). Then you render it and filter it. The rendering process does stink the house out a bit though...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I lovingly refer to one of my favorite simple summer dishes as "Cold Generic Mexican Flavor Bean Salad"

1 can rinsed black beans
1 small roma tomato chopped (or a good tomato if you can get/grow 'em)
1 lime, juice and 1/2 zest
1/4 red onion, diced
1tbsp neutral oil
As much cilantro as you want
1/2tsp cumin
1/4tsp granulated garlic (fresh is too sharp for this, IMO)
1/4tsp salt (1/2tsp if using reduced salt beans)

Mix all together and top with a bunch of crumbled queso fresco.It's also really good with a shot of adobo sauce from canned chipotles, or some Tabasco Chipotle sauce. Avocado of course is a good topping too if you want.

It gets better in the fridge for a few days, so feel free to scale up for an easy big batch, just don't mix the queso fresco in. Crumble and top each serving.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

legendof posted:

I'm hoping there's a story here. If so, get yourself over to the Disiasters thread and :justpost:

Unfortunately there wasn't much more to report - a bunch of foaming that faded out and left me with a not very flavorful brine / marinade. The shrimp were fine at the end of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m trying to diversify my barbecuing (grilling) and one thing I am trying to do more of is desserts. We’ve had a lot of success with barbecuing peaches and making Eton mess with them, and also thin slices of pineapple, but I feel like there’s more we could be doing. Any good ideas?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

Make jap chae! It's very nice to eat hot, cold or lukewarm and it makes very good leftovers because sweet potato noodles don't go mushy.

https://thewoksoflife.com/2017/06/japchae/

Meat is totally optional as well - it tastes great with or without it.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 7, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pookah posted:

Make jap chae! It's very nice to eat hot, cold or lukewarm and it makes very good leftovers because sweet potato noodles don't go mushy.

While that is a tasty dish I'm pretty sure you still need to use the stove for it and IME there is nothing that heats up an apartment more than boiling water.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

While that is a tasty dish I'm pretty sure you still need to use the stove for it and IME there is nothing that heats up an apartment more than boiling water.

Sure, but you can boil water once and make enough japchae for like a week.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Japchae looks delicious, but I’d like to cut down on carbs (diet + weight problems). A lot of my staples (spaghetti and meatballs, bolognese sauce, Japanese and Indian curries, stews e.g. beef and barley, pulled or braised pork) tend to be carb heavy, and I suspect that the satiety from the amount of fat in them is offset by how many calories I eat as a result. Also a tendency to snack and a love for sugary drinks like energy drinks n poo poo.

Since I make most of my staples in an IP, it doesn’t necessarily get hot, so maybe it’s not so bad...

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I have a new stupid question. How/where do I buy a sieve that isn't fine mesh? I want something that will filter raspberry seeds or things that size out without being impossibly slow to push lemon curd or things that thickness through. Something in between a fine mesh sieve and a colander.

I can't even figure out what term to search to find such a thing - no one seems to use the phrase "medium mesh" or "coarse mesh", neither of which sound right anyway.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

legendof posted:

I have a new stupid question. How/where do I buy a sieve that isn't fine mesh? I want something that will filter raspberry seeds or things that size out without being impossibly slow to push lemon curd or things that thickness through. Something in between a fine mesh sieve and a colander.

I can't even figure out what term to search to find such a thing - no one seems to use the phrase "medium mesh" or "coarse mesh", neither of which sound right anyway.

Try Walmart. I got a cheapie mesh strainer that would be about right for that there. The nicer ones from Oxo are not what you want, you want whatever the Walmart brand is (Mainstays?). A dollar store might be a good try too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Japchae looks delicious, but I’d like to cut down on carbs (diet + weight problems). A lot of my staples (spaghetti and meatballs, bolognese sauce, Japanese and Indian curries, stews e.g. beef and barley, pulled or braised pork) tend to be carb heavy, and I suspect that the satiety from the amount of fat in them is offset by how many calories I eat as a result. Also a tendency to snack and a love for sugary drinks like energy drinks n poo poo.

Since I make most of my staples in an IP, it doesn’t necessarily get hot, so maybe it’s not so bad...

When it's hot as gently caress out I like doing bibim no bap. Just a huge pile of greens with banchan and maybe a fried egg and gochujang all mixed up. Light and refreshing and making banchan in bulk to last a while is pretty easy too.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

legendof posted:

how about fine mesh and the back of a spoon

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pookah posted:

Thanks for this. The local Japanese/Korean place used to serve this in their lunch box and I never knew its name

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Elizabethan Error posted:

how about fine mesh and the back of a spoon

The last time I made lemon curd I made over a gallon. I'd rather not spend upwards of an hour straining it a little bit at a time when I can spend a couple of bucks on a different strainer that will make things go much faster.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
How about a chinoise, a china cap, or a tamis?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Swiss chard: do you only eat the leaves, or are the stems good to eat as well?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 8, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

legendof posted:

The last time I made lemon curd I made over a gallon. I'd rather not spend upwards of an hour straining it a little bit at a time when I can spend a couple of bucks on a different strainer that will make things go much faster.

That's some high class jello wrestling

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

C-Euro posted:

Swiss chard: do you only eat the leaves, or are the stems good to eat as well?

You have to cook the poo poo out of them or pickle them, you can't just throw them in with the leaves. I usually just pitch em.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve made kimchi including the stems, it’s a decent crunch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve made kimchi including the stems, it’s a decent crunch.

Yep. Also steamed/blanched until tender and tossed with soy/sesame/garlic is a pretty good banchan.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The stems are good, I eat 'em all the time :shrug:
They take a little longer, but you can still get them meltingly tender inside of 45 minutes if that's your goal. I usually either braise or saute, seasoned them a bunch of different ways. If you want to be fussy, you can blanch the stems in a little acidulated water to help set the color and parcook, then drain and toss in with the leaves at the appropriate time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chard stems are great and an excellent textural component of a dish in addition to the leaves. Just chop them into bite-size pieces and start sauteeing them 5-6 minutes earlier than the leaves.