Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

willroc7 posted:

I never run the UMP so I can't comment on that but the vector has higher DPS than any non-crate AR and is insanely good in this patch. You can also move faster while ADS'ing with an SMG and in general so you can make yourself a little harder to hit in close quarters engagements. With that said the kitted M4/SCAR is still the best because you get 30-40 bullets, at least in duo/squads where you often have to down 2+ people before reloading (see my clip posted earlier today). With the vector you simply can't miss at all if you want to drop more than one person in a clip.

Yea, the Vector is insane this patch at short range, you have more DPS than an AR with less recoil. But exactly like you said, there's no wiggle room, if you miss a large part of the clip or waste bullets overkilling someone you will have nothing left if a second person pops up. But if you can do a quick peek and full auto into someone they drop instantly and the reload time on the vector is crazy fast with extended quick. It's not an auto pickup for me, but it has a ton of potential and is worth trying out.

What's interesting with the Vector though is while you often burn a full clip killing someone, it really only takes like 6-7 bullets no matter where you hit them(besides the hands). It's just that the weapon fires so drat fast it's easy to finish out the mag before you know if they went down.

The main issue is you need to carry a ton of ammo for it, as you're going to use a fuckton in any drawn out fight, and will be unlikely to loot any from most corpses. Combined with it not sharing an ammo type with any long range gun means that it's easy to run into issues if you don't plan ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

odiv posted:

This game is going to be pretty sweet when it's released.

I always refuse to buy early access games because that only leads to getting bored while the game's still an unfinished mess, and I'd much rather wait for the final product and enjoy it properly.

So what I'm saying is Bluehole played me.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Elman posted:

I always refuse to buy early access games because that only leads to getting bored while the game's still an unfinished mess, and I'd much rather wait for the final product and enjoy it properly.

So what I'm saying is Bluehole played me.

If you did it right, you made enough money off of playing this game to make back the purchase price, and to even buy a different, better game.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I love the vector right now. It really needs an extended quickdraw mag though, the quickdraw brings the reload time down to like 1.5 seconds which is pretty doable in a fight.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I got hooked on the vector a couple weeks ago and this update has made it even more laser-like. It's great as long as you get at least an extended if not extended quickdraw.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Also agreeing that the vector is the gun to run right now. Vector/dmr is the dream

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Shotguns are pretty nice too right now after getting unnerfed. I've been shredding people with the choked overunder just slightly less than I did prior to 1.0.

The duckbill is absolute trash though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where you'd want to use it over a regular choke. Maybe it's meant for the console players?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i killed a couple with the duckbill on my shotgun but they were probably bad

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where you'd want to use it over a regular choke. Maybe it's meant for the console players?

If you trust your ability to get headshots, the duckbill is better than no attachment since it just condenses all the vertical spread into actual hits. The choke is always going to be better though if you find both.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My monday anecdote about PUBG is that a guy had his mic open and pretty much told me where his partner was at all times by using relative positioning ("now he's to your left, now he's to your right") constantly while downed. It was great.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i killed a couple with the duckbill on my shotgun but they were probably bad

In my head right now there's someone queueing 1vSquad constantly hoping to get that perfect duckbill YT video where he kills 3/4 in a single shot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

11 kill win is worth less than a 1 kill win.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Depends on the rank of the player you killed, doesn't it? And possibly on the rank of the other players you beat out?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Depends on the rank of the player you killed, doesn't it? And possibly on the rank of the other players you beat out?

Who the gently caress knows at this point? The ranking system code is a mess.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I mean that's what we all assume/d but whatever it is that we knew about the ranking system has been trashed super hard this season.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VulgarandStupid posted:

thats how elo works though, you get more for winning a closer fight than you do for dunking on 11 shitters.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

underage at the vape shop posted:

thats how elo works though, you get more for winning a closer fight than you do for dunking on 11 shitters.

Not that I disagree with how Elo should work but like:

There's a gap of (+30) points between these victories.
The average Elo of the 3 lowest players in the 4 Kill win is higher than the average of the 3 players in the 3 Kill win. The fourth player is 150 points above them and is sitting in the top 50.
My position before that match was higher than the day before so it couldn't have been inflation.

By every known metric I should have gotten less points, not more.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

ELO is meant for 1vs1 games, and this isn't one.

If you're barely winning with a single kill that means you're probably somewhere near your real rank and you shouldn't earn that much more. If you're "dunking on 11 shitters" that means you're clearly below your real rank and you should rank up a lot.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the matchmaking in this game values time over equal skill so who knows whats actually going on

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I hosed up a 1v1 dinner opportunity last night because I am a dummy and had single fire on instead of auto on my m4 :(

I took out two of the last 4 duos and ended in a long 1v1. I put a 6x on my silenced m4 to scan the area, quickly realized my sensitivity reset to whatever the default was, so I put my red dot back on. Three minutes later when trying to spray at a guy 5m away I realized I kept my single shot on. :(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Do DBNO count for anything? Those aren't shown there, but maybe it affects rating?

Also, I haven't played since the most recent update. Kind of annoyed I'll not be able to find random L3 Helmets laying around anymore. How is everyone else finding it?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

odiv posted:

Also, I haven't played since the most recent update. Kind of annoyed I'll not be able to find random L3 Helmets laying around anymore. How is everyone else finding it?

There are guaranteed in every single crate. I love it because it buffed the kar98 and shooting at domes that 90% of the time don't have a lvl3 helmet rules.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always assumed pubg didn't have skill-based matchmaking and it just dumped people onto available servers.

Is that wrong?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Eeeeeeeeeeh only kinda.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

As far as the ELO kills effecting rating, I'm not completely sure. In the 7 kill win I posted 2 days ago, I killed two top 100 players (one of which is now rank 26) and it wasn't worth that many points

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Thermopyle posted:

I always assumed pubg didn't have skill-based matchmaking and it just dumped people onto available servers.

Is that wrong?

They've confirmed that there is ELO matchmaking but how much it actually effects each matches lineup is minor. They prioritize filling servers much more than ensuring everyone is within a tight band of rankings.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hockles posted:

If you did it right, you made enough money off of playing this game to make back the purchase price, and to even buy a different, better game.

Is the market coming back??

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Neutrino posted:

I wasn't aware it was ever gone? I'm just talking about selling the crates you get from playing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hockles posted:

I wasn't aware it was ever gone? I'm just talking about selling the crates you get from playing.

Hell yeah. I got Foxhole for free thanks to PUBG and am working on subsidizing FarCry or similar. Thanks Loot Crate People!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Neutrino posted:

The market never left, only the ability to trade items directly to other players, thus removing the ability to sell/buy items from 3rd party sites instead of directly via Steam.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Servers are absolutely using matchmaking. If you play with shitter friends, you'll notice most of the lobby is in beginner gear or has only opened a few cases ever. Lobbies after you've played a lot more everyone has the pubg eastern europe goth club look or whatever the current trend in pubg fashion is

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Servers are absolutely using matchmaking. If you play with shitter friends, you'll notice most of the lobby is in beginner gear or has only opened a few cases ever. Lobbies after you've played a lot more everyone has the pubg eastern europe goth club look or whatever the current trend in pubg fashion is

Clothes have nothing to do with skill level or how long you have been playing the game. You can literally buy them with real money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got the default gear and hundreds of thousands of BP.

I've also got hundreds of hours into pubg.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just let me delete the fuckin crates already

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I thought I was getting better at the game having only played it for about a month and a half but when the new season started it seems to have reset the ladders and I get killed much more often again. I was enjoying playing with other lovely people that let me kill them :(

I will get crates with the BP and open the free ones but all I get is the same Polo shirt over and over again. Imagine how much money they would make if they sold the Ghillie suit as a clothing item.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hawowanlawow posted:

just let me delete the fuckin crates already

sell them on the steam marketplace and buy yourself some games with the crate money

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JEEVES420 posted:

I will get crates with the BP and open the free ones but all I get is the same Polo shirt over and over again. Imagine how much money they would make if they sold the Ghillie suit as a clothing item.

Selling the ghillie suit as a clothing item would border on pay to win. They want to keep everything strictly cosmetic. Plus, I think they are making enough money as it is with the current skins/crates.

Also yes, sell every crate you get. Stop opening them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Except for those of us who've never had a transaction on the marketplace. It requires a 2 week waiting period before allowing me to sell anything. So i list something and wait for 2 weeks before it goes on the market, then the price has gone down so what I listed doesn't sell. So i don't have a marketplace transaction so I need to wait yet another 2 weeks before selling anything.

So I have a lot of locked freaking crates.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Sell something lovely for like 4 cents and get your phone hooked up to the steam authenticator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress all that