Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RisqueBarber posted:

BCBS isn't the only one doing this. UHC, Cigna, and Aetna are doing similar things. You probably should have went to an urgent care first before you went to the ER. You should only go to the ER if they are having a "true" emergency(bleeding out, heart attack, etc.)

Spoken like someone blessed enough to have never had a kidney stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

BCBS isn't the only one doing this. UHC, Cigna, and Aetna are doing similar things. You probably should have went to an urgent care first before you went to the ER. You should only go to the ER if they are having a "true" emergency(bleeding out, heart attack, etc.)

I didn't know I was having a kidney stone. My pain was severe and abdominal, I'd always heard kidney stones hurt in your back. I though I was having like a severe appendix problem or something.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

And the layman in extreme pain who is experiencing something like a severe panic attack or food stuck in your esophagus that presents symptoms similar to a heart attack should decide if they're having a real emergency or not?

The system sucks, I agree, I'm just saying go to an urgent care from an educational perspective. The average ER visit is $1400 and only about 30% of those admitted are in need of actual "emergency" care. The average urgent care cost is around $70. I am an employee benefits broker and tell everyone in my open enrollment meetings how badly ERs can gently caress someone over. Don't even get me started on the stand alone ER rooms.

Keeshhound posted:

Spoken like someone blessed enough to have never had a kidney stone.

True. *Knocks on wood*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

The system sucks, I agree, I'm just saying go to an urgent care from an educational perspective. The average ER visit is $1400 and only about 30% of those admitted are in need of actual "emergency" care. The average urgent care cost is around $70. I am an employee benefits broker and tell everyone in my open enrollment meetings how badly ERs can gently caress someone over. Don't even get me started on the stand alone ER rooms.

Since they did nothing for me, after they were letting me go after confirming it was a stone, I asked the doc, if this happens again, should I what, stay home? He said no, you should come into the ER if it happens again.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

zoux posted:

Since they did nothing for me, after they were letting me go after confirming it was a stone, I asked the doc, if this happens again, should I what, stay home? He said no, you should come into the ER if it happens again.

That's great. Always get a record anytime a doctor confirms you should be in the ER. The insurance companies have vague language in their contracts describing what an ER visit should be, mainly because its contractually impossible to list every emergency. Because of this it makes it easy for members to fight a case when the insurance carrier declines to pay. A judge will typically always favor the member because emergency is so loosely defined.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The idea here isn't to somehow do your own triage or not to seek medical assistance entirely, the idea here is to identify and use in-network providers. Go through and make lists of hospitals, clinics, and doctors that are in your network, and don't see anyone else. There are very few times that you won't be conscious or otherwise able to say "hey go here instead of here". From the insurance companies' point of view, ideally patients would use network resources all the time. Now insurance companies are adding more financial incentives to get that to happen more often.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So will it be a year or two before we see the legislature starting a commission on why the medical bankruptcy rate has gone up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

The idea here isn't to somehow do your own triage or not to seek medical assistance entirely, the idea here is to identify and use in-network providers. Go through and make lists of hospitals, clinics, and doctors that are in your network, and don't see anyone else. There are very few times that you won't be conscious or otherwise able to say "hey go here instead of here". From the insurance companies' point of view, ideally patients would use network resources all the time. Now insurance companies are adding more financial incentives to get that to happen more often.

Good idea, except turns out that even if the ER is in network, the ER docs, the radiologist, the equipment, etc. might not be. I had a second, much less severe stone that fall and I spent about two hours online trying to determine which ERs had doctors that took my insurance and I couldn't so I decided to just tough it out.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

saintonan posted:

So when your two-year-old son is referred to a speech therapist who's in-network for your insurance, and then you have the opportunity to switch to a better insurance provider and ask if the therapist is in-network with the new provider and they are, and then the therapist stops being in-network two months later, you should totally find a different speech therapist for your small child who is finally beginning to communicate with words, because there's definitely going to be a large number of alternatives, all of whom are equally-skilled and any of whom will quickly develop a rapport with a toddler, right?

I didn't switch. The self-pay rate is only $5 more than Aetna was paying, anyway.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

I had gallstones in February and had no idea what it was and urgent care places refused to see me with my symptoms and told me to go to a hospital ER. It ended up being urgent enough I had to be admitted for a few days but that was kinda frustrating.

zoux posted:

I've had kidney stones multiple times and my urologist tells me to just call them if it happens, but also the first thing they ask when I go is if I went to the ER when it happened. It is a really common reason to go to the ER.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 8, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just as annecdata:

I'm relatively well to do lawyer. In March I woke up with crippling stomach pain that eventually localized to the lower right quadrant, nausea, and a low fever. Classic appendicitis. But I went to the urgent care first to make sure I wasn't being a big dumb baby. I wasn't, and I was told to leave immediately for the ER.

Within a few hours I was in the OR getting my appendix removed. One night in hospital. Bills have totaled 1300 so far in state government insurance. There are more to come. Plus the urgent care cost 100 bucks.

I can afford it, but I didn't want to incur er costs if I didn't need them.

It's loving stupid that I was scared to go to the er for a thing that was clearly appendicitis. And I'm not poor. Wtf can a poor person do.

ERs should be free.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Healthcare should be free.

Fixed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I meant that actually.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to have individuals with no medical training try to decide whether or not something is worth going to the ER because if it isn't, it's going to cost them thousands and thousands of dollars. "Better stay home, it's probably fine" *dies from easily preventable cause*

American healthcare for the past several decades in a nutshell.

RisqueBarber posted:

Also hope that you're not accidentally at one of the urgent care facilities that likes to bill themselves as an ER.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's loving stupid that I was scared to go to the er for a thing that was clearly appendicitis. And I'm not poor. Wtf can a poor person do.

Iirc the basic rear end high deductible insurance is around 4-500/mo if you're not lucky enough to have an employer that contributes; So the answer is nothing until you end up forced into a medical emergency and then you probably go bankrupt if you're not already in the 6-figure club.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 8, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
That I'm somewhere around the 30% income bracket and my medical plan is "I live in texas they can't garnish my wages lmao" is loving absurd.

Daily reminder that family plans are nearly 2 grand a month.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 8, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Also hope that you're not accidentally at one of the urgent care facilities that likes to bill themselves as an ER.

Yeah don't get me started on those. People need to stay away from any stand alone ERs. If it has the word "emergency" in the name its not an urgent care and will cost $2,000.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

A friend of mine went to a freestanding ER when he thought he was having a heart attack. They ruled it out quickly but then were like "hey, go to a real ER next time."

Also the freestanding ER by my house ADVERTISES hangover cures. Come in, get Tylenol, anti nausea, and a bag of saline.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, they're a mega huge scam. Our whole healthcare industry is utterly broken and anti-patient from top to bottom and it needs to be completely overhauled. I'd like to see what kind of profits BCBS and the other major insurers are raking in while continuing to reduce services for customers.

And I don't get it, anyone who has ever had to go to a hospital or have a procedure done know hows cripplingly expensive it is, even with insurance, how frustrating it is to deal with insurers, how opaque and deliberately obfuscatory medical billing and pricing is and everyone hates it. No one is happy with their insurers, and yet when you bring up the idea of single payer people are like "but the liiiines".

Nothing could be worse than the current American healthcare system (oh and all the delays and waits and shortages foes of nationalized healthcare complain about are a policy choice, we easily have the resources to make HC in the US fast and effective but not with the richest of the rich howling about free handouts and killing job creators because they might not be able to buy that 75 foot yacht and have to settle for the 50 foot one like a peasant)

Like, my dad had a severe brain bleed that turned out to be a brain tumor, a week in the Neuro ICU and then chemo and radiation to follow. His insurer poured through his doctors notes to find any reason to deny the claim, and they did. You see he had UC that he didn't disclose because it had been five years since he'd had a flare-up and that was outside what they said was the, I guess, "statute of limitations" on pre-existing condidtions. But still they used it to deny his claims, and he was looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills. None of this was his fault, he didn't have a lack of character or terrible bad habits that caused this problem (not that any of that should be disqualifying for free and adequate care), it just struck him one day out of the blue. It could happen to anyone. But our society, we've decided, gently caress it, gently caress you if an accident befalls you, tough poo poo. Luckily, due to the ACA, they were able to get another policy that couldn't deny coverage due to a preexisting condition. Premiums are super expensive, but it's infinitely cheaper than paying for treatment at MDA out of pocket. And my dad would be the poster boy for the mythical entrepreneur the GOP is always jacking off over, but he did everything right, always conducted his business morally impeccably, even when the costs to himself were great, because he believes very strongly in always doing the right thing. Still, all that counted for nothing when he had to depend on American healthcare.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 8, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Maybe I'll become a doctor and run a free clinic....

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/994325520224538625
me thinks houston would be a good choice, which almost guarantees the democrats will do the exact wrong thing and host their convention in san francisco.

san antonio recently told the GOP to get lost and dallas isn't interested either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhdMrdvu9g&t=360s

sounds like the RNC is gonna be in vegas. very trumpy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Simultaneous DNC conventions in both NYC and San Francisco so they can cater to the only voters they give a poo poo about

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did anyone watch the Valdez/White debate? Based on tweet summaries it seems White is fairly lame and Valdez still doesn't really know why she wants to be governor.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Did anyone watch the Valdez/White debate? Based on tweet summaries it seems White is fairly lame and Valdez still doesn't really know why she wants to be governor.

This gives me no new information. No I didn't watch it I don't think either of them has a chance they are really boring candidates.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Simultaneous DNC conventions in both NYC and San Francisco so they can cater to the only voters they give a poo poo about

We all know this is going to be true.

Maaaaybe Denver though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I came away wanting to vote for the moderator, so that's a bad sign

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

me thinks houston would be a good choice, which almost guarantees the democrats will do the exact wrong thing and host their convention in san francisco.

san antonio recently told the GOP to get lost and dallas isn't interested either:

Houston would be a great idea, it's an ideal city for their target voter and has the bonus feature of recently recovering from a massive natural disaster.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/995398157331779586

In recent Beto news.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'm biased but Houston would be great, dem friendly city in a state that's been the big prize for the DNC, plus we actually did the Superbowl fairly well so we can probably handle the dems.

Also let's be real, lots of great optics for democrats to meet with Harvey victims and all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Houston or Atlanta are top picks imo. Milwaukee seems too pandery, Birmingham is too small, and SF or NYC would play too much into stereotypes. Miami Beach I'm not sure how I feel about it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Houston would be good. Last time the city hosted was in 1928.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

halokiller posted:

that was a doozy, too

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

halokiller posted:

I was at the GOP convention in 92, my father was volunteering, used to have a shirt too.

That was the one where all the stories of Gingrich having teenage prostitutes delivered to his room came from.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just another day in Austin traffic.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Zil posted:

Is Kaysen delivering another sapling?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

How does planet k kill wildlife?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Early voting in the runoffs starts today FYI.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Early voting in the runoffs starts today FYI.

So I'm thinking I'd rather have the cop who defends neglect in her jail because having enough officers to run it properly would cost tax money lose to Abbott.

Or should the *beep-boop* empathy-simulating robot who was born in third base in a shower of daddy's money but thinks it hit a triple and wants Texas' own Prop 13 to destroy the tax base be the one who gets to lose to actual crazy person Greg Abbott?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zil posted:

This owns and I wanna know the planet k thing too

My favorite line is 590AM VAMPYRE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

So I'm thinking I'd rather have the cop who defends neglect in her jail because having enough officers to run it properly would cost tax money lose to Abbott.

Or should the *beep-boop* empathy-simulating robot who was born in third base in a shower of daddy's money but thinks it hit a triple and wants Texas' own Prop 13 to destroy the tax base be the one who gets to lose to actual crazy person Greg Abbott?

I went with the robot, personally. I'll be damned if I vote for a cop, even just as a sacrificial lamb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
TX 21 candidate forum is on right now and hoo boy is this Republican out there calling climate change a religion. Kopser seems to have some policy merit but is kind of all over the place. Mary Wilson doing alright too so far though she gave a real bad nothing opening statement.

E: oof, Republican just blamed 'liberal facism' for income inequality

E2: Republican is named Matt McCall apparently, he's pretty creepy.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 15, 2018