Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/peter-costello-says-well-be-dead-before-national-debt-paid-off/9736158

Peter fuckin Costello calling people earning between $100k-$200k the "forgotten people" who are badly in need of tax relief. What loving planet does this cretin live on?

Also, I love how he says someone earning 200k is paying 47% tax. Deliberately applying the top marginal tax rate to the entire amount. gently caress these horrible pricks.

You seem to have missed the context of the comment. He’s comparing the 47% paid at $200k vs the 30% paid by business at $1m. More tax cuts are being given to business (which studies have shown doesn’t lead to job creation) whilst those earners in the low six figures haven’t seen a tax break in 10 years. Eat the rich and all that, but it’s absurd.

In real terms someone at $200k is paying around 35% tax overall.

Pinball Jizzard fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I agree, increase company tax rates

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Solemn Sloth posted:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pinball Jizzard posted:

You seem to have missed the context of the comment. He’s comparing the 47% paid at $200k vs the 30% paid by business at $1m. More tax cuts are being given to business (which studies have shown doesn’t lead to job creation) whilst those earners in the low six figures haven’t seen a tax break in 10 years. Eat the rich and all that, but it’s absurd.

In real terms someone at $200k is paying around 35% tax overall.

I agree. Companies don't pay enough tax on profits

E;fb

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Tim Wilson on Q&A last night "If you raise Newstart, the money has to come from somewhere" I loving wonder where we could stand to raise taxes you fucken muppet :thunk:

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
In theory none of that matters for local investors anyway due to dividend imputation and super tax relief. The level of company tax is mostly only relevant for foreign investors.

The real culprits are things like the capital gains tax discount which flies way too far beneath the radar of these discussions and is a major element of why our housing market is boned (attractiveness of property to owner investors) and driving inequality - if you only pay 50% marginal tax on investments, of course investors will become wealthy more quickly vs wage earners.

Edit: or dividend imputation itself, which like no other country has.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like that corporal punishment guy proposes a death sentence for any crime more serious that stealing a car.

Very effective for rehabilitation that one.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hooman posted:

I like that corporal punishment guy proposes a death sentence for any crime more serious that stealing a car.

Well they won’t fuckin do it again mate will they, what are ya, fuckin soft?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

what about downloading a car

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

The Before Times posted:

what about downloading a car

You wouldn't!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
What is it with people like Mormons. If u want a religion that takes all the violent parts of the old testament with none of the humility and forgiveness of the new testament just go be jewish/muslim/sikh/orthodox/monarchist. If it's the multiple wives thing that has already been done with Henry VIII. It's not as if there's an austerity on religious doctrine that allows violence on other people, you don't have to go invent a new one/adopt one from bloody USA

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

norp posted:

I agree. Companies don't pay enough tax on profits

E;fb

Large companies don’t. There’s a balance that needs to be maintained. Small companies are great job creators and maintainers; giving them the ability to grow and create jobs is a good thing. Large companies are job creators, but once they reach a certain point, will try to cut jobs to make more money.

Dave the builder employing 10 guys deserves a tax cut so he can grow to 20 guys. MegaCorp with 10,000 employees will start to outsource the support portion of their company and save money either way.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Large companies don’t. There’s a balance that needs to be maintained. Small companies are great job creators and maintainers; giving them the ability to grow and create jobs is a good thing. Large companies are job creators, but once they reach a certain point, will try to cut jobs to make more money.

Dave the builder employing 10 guys deserves a tax cut so he can grow to 20 guys. MegaCorp with 10,000 employees will start to outsource the support portion of their company and save money either way.

What about Tina the cafe owner with 10 wait staff, if you give her a tax cut then she can afford to underpay 20 wait staff for the wage of merely 2 actual wait staff.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Guardian posted:

Outspoken Nationals MP George Christensen is set to be ordained a deacon in the Anglican Church.

However, Christensen has re-nominated to run for his Queensland seat of Dawson at the next federal election and won’t be throwing the Turnbull government’s numbers into a spin.

If he was to quit early, it could put the government’s one-seat majority in jeopardy.

When he was 21, the conservative MP was accepted into a Catholic seminary in Melbourne, but left after a few weeks.

In 2014, he joined the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

More recently he became an Anglican, but retained his conservative Christian position by attaching himself to one of the few Anglican dioceses in Australia that does not ordain women priests, The Murray, in South Australia.

In July he will be ordained a deacon by Bishop John Ford.

In other news, a shark was made an honorary lifesaver today.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Going to be cool when we increase business taxation and make all these small businesses accept their fate at the hands of the market causing a spike in unemployment of 15%

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Pinball Jizzard posted:

This is very confusing. How does a tax cut help Dave employ more people? Wages are expenses deducted pre-tax from revenue and are unaffected by the level of the tax rate. Can you expand on this?

Post tax profits can either be reinvested as capital expenditure (retained profits) or distributed to stakeholders as dividends, they won’t affect wages or new hires as those are normal business expenses...unless you are talking about attractiveness to external investors to source more capital? And in which case, doesn’t dividend imputation mean that it’s irrelevant for local investors? Help me out here...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just kidding everything will just end up getting Walmarted and we can finally enjoy that nightmare lifestyle.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Profits are by definition not being used to grow the business *already*. Reducing taxation on them will not increase the amount that is invested into the business

You are just regurgitating brain-dead IPA talking points

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Also small companies are in the most part not net job creators, nor are large companies. 90% of net jobs growth in the economy is driven by a very small (<1%) cohort of small/medium enterprises (SMEs) which are almost always innovative (usually in business process or model, sometime in product) and fast growing. Age is not usually a predictive variable so they can be old firms or new firms, and they can pop up in pretty much any sector of the economy. They are also often low productivity as they are focused on growth rather than cost control and often export oriented (definitely not always). Note this refers to net jobs growth; a lot of new jobs are just reallocations within the economy, where a job replaces another and thus doesn’t improve the overall situation for the labour force (unless the job involves moving up in pay/conditions).

Edit: also to be clear these guys rarely give a poo poo about corporate tax rates cos they are too busy growing their revenue/market. Large companies especially multinationals are important for commercialization but despite what they say, they often care about things like a talented and highly skilled workforce in terms of where they want to invest/create jobs in, not tax rates. Companies don’t go to Silicon Valley because of the tax treatment. (Or, say, Berlin which goes gang busters in other industries)

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 8, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Small companies are great job creators and maintainers;

hahahaha

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
If you refer to anything other than consumers as “job creators” gently caress off back to school.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Job creators is a stupid term but small companies are the largest job jobbers for jobbies in Australia.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I would say Government is also OK given it basically employs (or should employ) most of the critical people in the economy (hospitals, emergency services, teachers, public housing providers, infrastructure, ideally energy and banking providers - all things necessary before you have businesses at all) but also obviously they represent consumers (in theory) so...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blamestorm posted:

I would say Government is also OK given it basically employs (or should employ) most of the critical people in the economy (hospitals, emergency services, teachers, public housing providers, infrastructure, ideally energy and banking providers - all things necessary before you have businesses at all) but also obviously they represent consumers (in theory) so...

Small businesses employ all the gormless nobodies that aren't valuable enough to do something important.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Blamestorm posted:

I thought about covering both with “demand” but I think that would have been too advanced for our imbecilic friend.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

JBP posted:

Small businesses employ all the gormless nobodies that aren't valuable enough to do something important.

To be fair government could do this too!

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

I thought about covering both with “demand” but I think that would have been too advanced for our imbecilic friend.

The reality is that governments are the key creator and manager of markets, jobs and the whole system, the fact that they withdraw or do it poorly doesn’t change the fact that there is no environment for businesses and consumers except that which a government has created or allowed to exist. Not in the contemporary world. The Government could go, unemployed people, cool, we have a labour surplus which we could do awesome things with - let’s pay (good rates) to unemployed or underemployed people to do things that lead to economic growth, like social services, reskilling and adult training, infrastructure development, etc etc - and basically eliminate poverty. It’s not like other countries with much greater wellbeing than us don’t do this already at least in part.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

In other news, a shark was made an honorary lifesaver today.

At least he's got the celibacy down pat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I thought that was Newscorp/IPA?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

We have the military for that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/993654727039533056

I don't think Tones knows what "Partisan" means.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

you grate it on spaghetti

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's a partisan attack when you consider "moderate" Liberal party members to simply be enemies with whom you share an uneasy truce, which tone does.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Arguing about who is the bigger or better job creator misses the point and delves into the language of the right.

The greatest factor in the economy able to deliver on an individuals wellbeing is the government because it has the exclusive monopoly on legitimate force. The fact that it does not use it enough to further the wellbeing of everybody is scandalous.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

hooman posted:

The partisan is where the suppository of wisdom gets pushed into

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I've never seen Jesus and Marx in the same room. Makes u think.

Couple pages back but...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THREAD UPDATE.

Steam is refunding me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THREAD UPDATE.