Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Editors of old pulp and SF magazines would sometimes buy art rights, and then ask their writers to come up with a story to match the picture they were planning to put on the cover (fair enough, they probably paid more for the art than the story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Hard Case Crime specializes in reprinting pulp novels that are out-of-print, previously unpublished, and new material by the best writers in the genre.

All of the books are great, but I particularly like this series by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr. It is a masterpiece of dark comedy, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of thing. Jason Starr is one of my all-time favorite authors and I wish he would publish crime novels more frequently.

Hard Case Crime is a labor of love by Charles Ardai, who has written a few novels under the alias Richard Aleas, as well as his own name.

He wrote a novelization of The Nice Guys based on the script, and I actually prefer it to the film version. It's a good movie, but the book adds a bunch of hilarious details that really flesh out the characters.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Here are a handful of books filled with suggestions on how to get revenge on one's enemies. The author's pseudonym is taken from one of the main characters in Edward Abbey's classic novel The Monkeywrench Gang and its sequel, Hayduke Lives!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hayduke_(author)

Most of his books were published by Paladin Press, which I've mentioned before as specializing in crazy how-to books that walk the line of legality, and often cross it.

Somewhat related, here is a book from Breakout Productions, which was distributed by Loompanics, another company that specialized in semi-legal/ totally illegal material. I don't think I posted this one yet.

Loompanics went out of business in 2006, and sold most of their inventory to Earthlight Books/ Last Earth Distro:

http://www.earthlightbooks.com/ci_2480.html

http://www.lastearthdistro.net/

I've dealt with Earthlight/ Last Earth before and have never had any problems. The owner used to sell crazy books and anarchist literature at the Portland Zine Symposium like ten or twelve years ago. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I got the copy of How to Find Missing Persons posted above in exchange for five copies of a bootleg book I used to self-publish and distribute. (I'm not going to say what that bootleg was, but I just checked and they still have it for sale on their website.) I also got my copies of How to Destroy Bridges and How to Steal Food From the Supermarket from them, as well as some reprints of Emma Goldman's magazine Mother Earth and a compilation of communiques from former Zapatista leader Subcommandante Marcos. In short, they have all sorts of great stuff so check out their catalog!

Speaking of Emma Goldman and crazy anarchists, I used to be friends with a girl from Seattle named Sarah who wandered across the USA by hopping trains, hitchhiking, camping, squatting, and dumpster-diving for sustenance. She would stay at our house when she was passing through Portland, and although we offered up the couch, she insisted on camping in the backyard. In a city filled with pretentious, self-righteous posers and trust-fund hippie punks, she was legit.

Anyway, as she was about to set off on one of her cross-country adventures, I let her borrow my two-volume set of Emma Goldman's autobiography so she'd have something to read. They were a little worse for wear when she returned them a few months later, and she offered to go steal me a new set from Powell's, but I actually prefer them this way. I will never hop a goddamn freight train, but at least these books have! Emma Goldman herself would be proud.

I haven't seen Sarah since shortly before I left Portland in 2009. Hopefully she's still alive.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was scrolling through the TV channel guide one Saturday morning a few months ago and saw Stone Cold was about to begin on the MGM channel. It turned out that it wasn't the 1991 Brian Bosworth film, and was actually a 1979 Canadian movie called Stone Cold Dead. I was initially disappointed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because this movie was about a hooker-killing sniper terrorizing Toronto. It is so dumb, and so great, and I could not believe that I'd never heard of it before.

Seriously, just watch this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KvT9rZdBQ&t=3175s

Anyway, when I was looking online for more information about this fine film, I saw that it was based on a 1970 Canadian novel, and immediately ordered the copy pictured above.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Also seems rather racist in my view, as Coren mimics Amin's accent and speech patterns in the text to make light of him.

tbf actual african pidgin does look superficially "funny" but you can easily tell when it's a racist caricature once you've seen the real deal

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I wanna see an example from the revenge books

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Big Centipede posted:

Definitely agree--I'm trying to imagine how much content can fill out 4 or 5 different books on that theme.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Francine Hughes left home to marry her boyfriend at the age of 16. He regularly beat her, and she finally divorced him after seven or so years. Unfortunately, she still couldn't get away from the abusive prick. He moved into her house and refused to leave. The beatings continued to escalate and she knew that it was only a matter of time before he killed her.

On March 9, 1977, 29-year-old Francine called the police after a particularly brutal beating. They came to the house and told her that they couldn't help her because they didn't witness the violence, even though one officer later testified that he heard the husband tell Francine that "it was all over for her" because she had called the authorities. As soon as the cops left, her husband continued to beat her, forced her to make him dinner, viciously raped her, and then passed out in a drunken stupor. Francine put her four kids in the car and returned to the bedroom with a can of gasoline. She doused the bed, lit a match, and then drove to the police station to turn herself in while her house burned down. She went on trial later that year and was found not guilty by reason of temporary insanity.

Published in 1980, this is one of the better true crime books I've ever read. It was made into a 1984 movie starring Farrah Fawcett.

Oddly, it appears that all of author Faith McNulty's other books are for kids. Here is an example:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Definitely agree--I'm trying to imagine how much content can fill out 4 or 5 different books on that theme.

Check out this list of his books on Wikipedia. I wouldn't be surprised if there are even more besides these.

I'll look through the four I have and find some crazy examples to post.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gutter Phoenix if you ever murdered somebody, what book do you think would be the best evidence against you at your trial?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Build it yourself looks like it'd include instructions for a murder basement.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

Gutter Phoenix if you ever murdered somebody, what book do you think would be the best evidence against you at your trial?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

OK, I went through the Hayduke books and found a couple of short examples. I am not going to post the directions on how to make explosives, mace, fireworks, and tire spikes.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a couple of classic books about Hollywood debauchery:

This is a famous book by Joan Crawford's daughter about what a crazy sociopath her mother was:

Chris Elliott wrote this parody of Mommy Dearest:

He has written a few other satirical novels, and they are dumb, but also funny:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a bunch of books by Mike Nelson:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Screenplays by Todd Solondz:

Books by, about, and/ or related to John Waters:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A few more miscellaneous movie books:

Books about punk rock:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here are a couple of classic books about Hollywood debauchery:

Just to confirm these are great. Anger - a Crowleyite occultist and film director who appeared in the 1935 film of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” - is still alive, and keeps threatening a volume 3 about the 1960s-70s generation of stars.

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2018

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

I have a copy of the Robocop novelization, though I have not gotten around to reading it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rascar Capac posted:

Just to confirm these are great. Anger - a Crowleyite occultist and film director who appeared in the 1935 film of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” - is still alive, and keeps threatening a volume 3 about the 1960s-70s generation of stars.

I feel like I have one of these but it's about rock n roll stars. Oh, after a second of research, it's called Rock n Roll Babylon, obviously based off of the idea of Hollywood Babylon.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pulchritudinous posted:

I have a copy of the Robocop novelization, though I have not gotten around to reading it.

Holy poo poo! Robocop is my all-time favorite movie, and has been ever since I saw it at a drive-in (double feature with Predator) in the summer of 1987, yet I never knew a novelization existed. I've been trying to abstain from buying superfluous stuff while searching for a new job, but I couldn't resist buying a $4 copy of this on ebay.

Here are some more miscellaneous books:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Please tell me this is just a bunch of blank pages glued together. :allears:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

Please tell me this is just a bunch of blank pages glued together. :allears:

The title is a joke. The book is a compilation of stupid things Bush said, with a bonus chapter of idiotic quotes from Dan Quayle.

It all seems so quaint now. Bush was downright eloquent compared to W., and neither one can compete with the breathtaking anti-intellectualism of the current president.

On that note, here is the out-of-print Trump biography with the story of him violently raping Ivana in retaliation for her recommendation of a doctor who botched Trump's scalp-reduction surgery.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a couple of books about Rasputin:

And a bunch of books featuring my favorite philosopher, Diogenes the Cynic:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Reposting this from the Dune thread. A children's book based on a movie by David Lynch. Featuring stills of such memorable characters like the guild navigator and Baron Harkonnen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I totally had that Dune kids book when I was super little. That or my brother got it from the school library or something. It's weird, for a hot second Dune was on the Star Wars train of marketing sci fi to kids as a cash cow. Then like, the movie actually came out and people started watching it and um, well that hot second ended.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gutter Phoenix posted:

And a bunch of books featuring my favorite philosopher, Diogenes the Cynic:

Is it true Alexander the Great said "If I were not Alexander the Great, I would choose to be Diogenes the small dog"?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Choco1980 posted:

I totally had that Dune kids book when I was super little. That or my brother got it from the school library or something. It's weird, for a hot second Dune was on the Star Wars train of marketing sci fi to kids as a cash cow. Then like, the movie actually came out and people started watching it and um, well that hot second ended.

They really tried:
https://www.pinterest.com/bctoyscollectib/dune-toys-collectibles-by-ljn-1984/

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Centipede posted:

if it's anything like the revenge prank movie that RedLetter Media reviewed then it's probably full of semi illegal really despicable pathetic poo poo so yeah let's get some pics of the pages

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is it true Alexander the Great said "If I were not Alexander the Great, I would choose to be Diogenes the small dog"?

dude that was like 4000 years ago there's no real record of anything he actually said

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Note the milking cat accessory.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why isn’t the Feyd action figure in his eagle codpiece :mad:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Everything Diogenes himself wrote is lost to history and most of the sources for his words are from hundreds of years later.

The story goes that Alexander met Diogenes while the latter was sunning himself atop the stolen tub he lived in. Alexander said, "I am Alexander the Great," and Diogenes replied, "I am Diogenes the Dog."
Alexander said he would give Diogenes anything in the world, to which he replied, "Fine. Get out of my sunlight."
Afterwards, Alexander said that if he weren't already Alexander the Great, he would want to be Diogenes the Cynic.

They were contemporaries, although it's impossible to say if they ever met. The story is probably made up, but who knows?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here's a big hardcover coffee table book about GWAR with a neat lenticular cover:

And some other miscellaneous music books:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Some punk rock memoirs:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Some other memoirs:

And a couple of fake memoirs written to scare kids away from drugs:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Anti-Scientology books:

Books about Mao Tse-Tung:

Books about US influence on Japan and vice-versa:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is that Dead Kennedys book any good? I liked the NOFX one until they became middle-aged, plus it went pretty deep into Fat Mike's piss drinking kink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Reprints of old Sears catalogs:

Books about Mr. Show:

Books about comedy by Mike Sacks (author of Stinker Lets Loose!

Other comedy books: