Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

Agent355 posted:

On that note though has somebody done a comprehensive write up on whats valuable? Hopefully an actual write up and not a video.

Beast stuff, roughly in order of value:

Uber Strict:
https://poe.ninja/challenge/rare-beasts
Portal Tiger
80+ Craicic Presence Octopus (The ones wearing the pirate corpse)
70+ Craicic Presence Lurcher (Lobster dogs)

Strict:
http://poedb.tw/us/Bestiary_Recipe
Portal Beasts
Aspect Crafts (Spider and cat, mostly)
30% Quality Recipe
Harbinger Orbs

Maybe worth selling/doing yourself:
Horizon Orbs
Unique Talisman
Unique Map
Random Currency
6-link (at least worth a divine)
Prophecies

Useful/For leveling but not valuable:
Adrenaline Quicksilver flask (unique goat in the climb)
Add "xxx" to a flask (Tiger prey beasts)
Move speed boots (unique rhoa in mud flats/unique bird in aqueducts)

Might be valuable in 3.3:
Level 21 corrupted gem (only source of level 21 Vaal Gems)

It's honestly far simpler than people want to make it out to be, unless you're into crafting items (in which case you're diving deep into complex systems to start with) or SSF, not that there's much indication in-game of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The area nodes increase both the spread area of the meatballs but also the splash area of each one, according to the wiki it overall gives the same shotgun hit coverage but in a larger spread, that's what I'm working off of.

I've only been discussing packs, not single target (I'm not really dying to single target, like I said it's when I get mobbed that is the trouble), but so you know, with single-target I will shift-click near the target so I smash at the ground next to him, which causes Ancestral Call to hit the target while my ground hits double the balls?

The 8k number assumes 21 balls hitting an enemy 10.11 times per second for a total of 212 balls per second with 38 life per hit. Now, look at how large an area your spread actually covers.

Big hitbox bosses

SMall hitbox bosses

Tl;dr: The area nodes are hurting your single target dps

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

Internet Nobody fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 28, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I assure you I don't run out of mana. I have it tuned perfectly so the life and mana deplete equally when I'm taking damage and gain back equally.

Going back to this part: You have 38% damage taken from mana before life. That means you need a ratio of 0.38/0.62=0.61 of your life as free mana for it to be perfectly balanced. With your current lifepool you need 1870 unreserved mana for that, while you only have 1490.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gently caress math i go by guts

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

gently caress math i go by guts

This is how hitler happened

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Life seems hard in the Labyrinth for a Marauder.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

Life seems hard in the Labyrinth for a Marauder.

marauder in this sense doesnt really mean much. you could be an rf marauder stacking tons of regen and laugh at all lab traps or you could be a vaal pact berserker and feel the opposite way or anywhere in between.

are you having trouble with traps or izaro or both

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TheRat posted:

The 8k number assumes 21 balls hitting an enemy 10.11 times per second for a total of 212 balls per second with 38 life per hit. Now, look at how large an area your spread actually covers.

Big hitbox bosses

SMall hitbox bosses

Tl;dr: The area nodes are hurting your single target dps

Where'd you pull all this from? All I have is the Wiki entry for Molten Strike:

quote:

Increased AoE bonuses affect both the explosion area of individual projectiles and the area they are spread over, resulting in similar degree of coverage over a larger area.

If you know something they don't, you should be a hero and update for jerks like me who don't know how to spreadsheet this stuff. Those graphs assume they know the exact area of the overall splash, the individual meatball splash, and how big the boss hitboxes are; is all that something that can be data-mined or is someone just eyeballing it?

Also, your 8k number is forgetting the 14+2 mana per hit which I'm of course counting when I say "Life" on account of MoM. And again, I started the whole discussion talking about dying to Flashback packs (I specifically said I was dying to them and not to bosses) so I'm constantly hitting pretty much everything in a pack, even hitting multiple enemies with a single ball. If we're nitpicking.

TheRat posted:

Going back to this part: You have 38% damage taken from mana before life. That means you need a ratio of 0.38/0.62=0.61 of your life as free mana for it to be perfectly balanced. With your current lifepool you need 1870 unreserved mana for that, while you only have 1490.

I should have mentioned the Blasphemy-Poacher was a last-second test before I logged out; I was mapping with Herald of Ice which put me just about on the money with the ratio. I'm probably going to get a decent Poacher's Mark ring when I can afford it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I should have mentioned the Blasphemy-Poacher was a last-second test before I logged out;

Without poachers mark your chance to hit drops to 76%, effectively eliminating 1/4th of your dps and life+mana on hit.

Zero VGS posted:

If you know something they don't, you should be a hero and update for jerks like me who don't know how to spreadsheet this stuff. Those graphs assume they know the exact area of the overall splash, the individual meatball splash, and how big the boss hitboxes are; is all that something that can be data-mined or is someone just eyeballing it?

Mark_GGG posted:

Molten Strike is an entirely different beast, since it doesn't target specific areas, it fires projectiles in random directions (but not in a full circle) at random speeds (within a range, but they always move at least some distance). This creates a very different pattern, as they can't hit in the very centre of the area, but are clumped towards the centre and away from the edges, in addition to only dropping in a 270 degree arc in front of the user.

Mark_GGG posted:

The maximum object size is 5, meaning a "radius" of 5 units. Base firestorm explosion radius is 10.

For reference, a player (or most humanoid monsters) is size 2.

It's actually a little more complicated than that (enemies aren't circular), but that's the basic point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Awesome! posted:

marauder in this sense doesnt really mean much. you could be an rf marauder stacking tons of regen and laugh at all lab traps or you could be a vaal pact berserker and feel the opposite way or anywhere in between.

are you having trouble with traps or izaro or both

Izaro since I need to stand still at close range to deal much damage, but my last death was because one of those swinging blade traps did way more damage than I thought it would.

I'm running Sunder, probably going Juggernaut unless it's a bad option.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Uh, Sunder is a ranged attack. You can't be as far away some some spellcasters/bow users, but you don't have to be close enough to smell him with Sunder.

Probably need to brush up on the mechanics of the fight, get familiar with when you can attack, when you need to move, and how badly the phases can affect you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no bestiary in the core game :eyepop: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2142177/page/1#p15515039

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's too bad. I'm really going to miss some of the crafting options.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Izaro since I need to stand still at close range to deal much damage, but my last death was because one of those swinging blade traps did way more damage than I thought it would.

I'm running Sunder, probably going Juggernaut unless it's a bad option.

Don't worry too much about ascending right when you've unlocked the labyrinth. It's ok to get a little overleveled before fighting Izaro since it's a long walk back through the lab if you die.

Personally, I always fight him after freeing the spirit in act 4 and getting the skill point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

That's kind of a bummer, because for all the extraneous crap it added I did really appreciate the new crafting system. I guess I have to hope this means the next time they explore additional crafting systems they'll have learned a lot from this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lets watch the farruls fur prices skyrocket

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

whypick1 posted:

Uh, Sunder is a ranged attack. You can't be as far away some some spellcasters/bow users, but you don't have to be close enough to smell him with Sunder.

Probably need to brush up on the mechanics of the fight, get familiar with when you can attack, when you need to move, and how badly the phases can affect you.

I did beat him before as the Ranger, but that does help thank you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

worst case, just run around the outside of the room in a circle and he will basically never hit you. can do that if you need to pick off some skeletons to recharge flasks or whatever

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Holy gently caress, i was not expecting them to not keep bestiary. That was a huge loving deal to just drop it. Looks like they realized that they would need to change it too much to keep it. Hopefully Bestiary 2.0 works out better, because there were some neat concepts in there (which may or may not be better done by essences)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah that's surprising given the custom artwork and VA work. That's previously always been a given that they're keeping something.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i imagine if the league went over really well they would have kept it in but since we generally didnt like it they had to actually weigh the costs of keeping the ui working and whatnot for something lots of people wont use

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Yeah that's surprising given the custom artwork and VA work. That's previously always been a given that they're keeping something.

talisman

Not nearly as much development effort as Bestiary, but still.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ixjuvin posted:

talisman

Not nearly as much development effort as Bestiary, but still.

They kept rigwald and made his uniques a div card reward though, even talismans themselves.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Vasudus posted:

They kept rigwald and made his uniques a div card reward though, even talismans themselves.

Eventually yes, but it took a LONG time for Talisman items to start getting introduced again.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The most common suggestions i've seen are really straightforward, and Einhar / menagerie was really well received, so I'm expecting Bestiary 2.0 at some point with:

One net to rule them all thats a debuff. Kill the mob with the debuff on it, get a pokeball. Right click on pokeball to add it to menagerie, otherwise you can sell it.
Make it easier to find recipes and the mobs for recipes.
Make the mob ingredients less obtuse. Like, instead of needing a Ilvl 80 rare crab mob with a specific attribute, just need an iLvl 80+ rare crab. Thats it. Keep the rare recipes rare by needing unique / rare mobs.

But, is it even worth it? What does bestiary add thats not done by regular crafting? Aside from legendary mob crafting, and a few leveling items, was anything even useful? Outside of SSF i mean.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Unlike other past systems, Bestiary had to be all or nothing. It requires way too much overhead to have it as a sometimes mechanic.

And let's be real, other mechanics have been more or less dropped entirely. Harbinger and Perandus only exist as Zana mods sometimes and normally players never interact with them at all. If there were not challenges for them or Fortune Favors the Bold I would argue at the current Zana prices Perandus would essentially be totally removed, and Harbinger wouldn't exist for a vast majority of people mapping either. Talisman has never been a Zana mod and only exists now as things from Beastcrafting/Divination cards. No one would care if Tempests were removed from the Prophecy pool and that's the only form Tempests exist in any more.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bestiary gave access to talismans so it had to be dropped, via the transitive property of league badness

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

whypick1 posted:

Considering all the effort they put in, Bestiary is almost sure to be baked in to the base game (the voice acting is kind of a dead giveaway).

LOOK AT THIS IDIOT

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

LOOK AT THIS IDIOT

To be fair I think that's what most people were expecting

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got him, once I started using the warcry that gives regen if there's lots of guys around he never brought me too low.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I got him, once I started using the warcry that gives regen if there's lots of guys around he never brought me too low.

Enduring Cry: Best Cry :hfive:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lechtansi posted:

One net to rule them all thats a debuff. Kill the mob with the debuff on it, get a pokeball. Right click on pokeball to add it to menagerie, otherwise you can sell it.
Personally I would get rid of the net idea entirely and just make bestiary mobs drop bestiary orbs in exactly the same way that essence mobs drop essences. Streamline it down to eliminate the idea of having different creatures of different levels and attributes to just having attributes - that way you can just make a tab to plop them down in and not worry about tracking what level octopus it is, and balance the item crafting by separating the attributes into different tiers so that high level mobs have a greater chance of attributes used in the best recipes.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Lechtansi posted:

The most common suggestions i've seen are really straightforward, and Einhar / menagerie was really well received, so I'm expecting Bestiary 2.0 at some point with:

Make it easier to find recipes and the mobs for recipes.
Make the mob ingredients less obtuse. Like, instead of needing a Ilvl 80 rare crab mob with a specific attribute, just need an iLvl 80+ rare crab. Thats it. Keep the rare recipes rare by needing unique / rare mobs.

But, is it even worth it? What does bestiary add thats not done by regular crafting? Aside from legendary mob crafting, and a few leveling items, was anything even useful? Outside of SSF i mean.

i think between the two points of "Make it easier to find recipes and the mobs for recipes" and "Make the mob ingredients less obtuse" this might actually be outside GGG's capabilities right now. they clearly don't have the ui/ux capability of making a pleasant and easy to understand UI (see: the giant loving beastiary popups)

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jinnigan posted:

i think between the two points of "Make it easier to find recipes and the mobs for recipes" and "Make the mob ingredients less obtuse" this might actually be outside GGG's capabilities right now. they clearly don't have the ui/ux capability of making a pleasant and easy to understand UI (see: the giant loving beastiary popups)

More likely that it was too hard to figure out in the 10 weeks they had to build it, and it was outside of the capabilities of the team of like 2 people that were left fixing bestiary to do much more than they did. I agree though, they do need a lot of help on the UX front. But I feel like bestiary was a game designers first draft and someone went “gently caress it, let’s ship” without spending any time iterating.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I could speculate on Bestiary 2.0 but honestly I'm just surprised and relieved Bestiary isn't in the core game.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Only 12 farrul's furs on poe.trade, lowest are 32-35ex, rest are 50ex and up, :haw:

Probably only a matter of time before someone forks out 2500 bux or whatever the price is nowadays to make a divination card set for it.

Only recent listings of level 21 vaal spark...30 ex all by the same guy. Rest of the listings are 1month old.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I didnt mind bestiary but i think rolled into core it added a bunch of bloat that i can see taking a ton of dev time to keep up to date. plus the whole UI for it was poo poo so yeah. i stopped doing any bestiary stuff by like week 2 of the league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

J posted:

Only 12 farrul's furs on poe.trade, lowest are 32-35ex, rest are 50ex and up, :haw:
lol
for reference cheapest was 15 in bsc before the announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol, there goes the easy vaal gems right before the buff to them though