Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dexefiend posted:

Bone Drukhari, cont.

Matte/satin varnished him.

Would I have sex with that model?

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Would I have sex with that model?

Absolutely.

The highest of praise, nevermind, we just got off that loving topic..

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 8, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Killer_Bees! posted:

I did up a bone theme up at the beginning of 8th, it’s pretty simple and you can batch paint like a manic.

These are great. What's the recipe?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I guess it's true what they say: Drew Carey really does give good head!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Ok so the recipe is super simple for the dirty bone Dark Eldar and due to the steps you can batch paint huge chunks at once and I highly recommend that because you get consistency with your paint and shading of the base if it’s done in one hit. The grimy worn down look is 100% what I was chasing and the best pet is you can then go wild with neon color cabal markings too tie it all together if you want.

- spray model with a brown base coat
- spray a Zenith highlight with grey
- spray with another zenith highlight with white
- drown the whole model in sepia wash
- dry brush with your choice of bones/whites to brighten or dull too choice
- stipple brown on edges and then stipple blacks for the weathering effect
- Done!

Killer_Bees! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 8, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What kind of brush do you use for stippling? I think the effect looks great.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Please forgive my abysmally lovely camera, but all I have is a five year old cell phone that wasn't even good when it was new.

Got an airbrush for my birthday, and this is the first mini I've finished with it. I got the basics of airbrushing down with a couple Devilfish that will probably not see the table this edition, but this one I'm genuinely happy with. Especially the OSL, since it's the first time I've ever attempted it and I'm shocked it came out as not-mini-ruining as it did.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

dexefiend posted:

What kind of brush do you use for stippling? I think the effect looks great.

Mostly I am too lazy to chop up a fat old brush like you are supposed to, so I just cut up and pinch some black packing foam that comes in the blisters of models or from a miniature carry case. Every army I paint I try for maximum reduction of effort or skill because I am lacking severely in both :pseudo:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Killer_Bees! posted:

Mostly I am too lazy to chop up a fat old brush like you are supposed to, so I just cut up and pinch some black packing foam that comes in the blisters of models or from a miniature carry case. Every army I paint I try for maximum reduction of effort or skill because I am lacking severely in both :pseudo:

I love using foam for weathering! Try it with VMA Camo Black Brown.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Killer_Bees! posted:

Ok so the recipe is super simple for the dirty bone Dark Eldar and due to the steps you can batch paint huge chunks at once and I highly recommend that because you get consistency with your paint and shading of the base if it’s done in one hit. The grimy worn down look is 100% what I was chasing and the best pet is you can then go wild with neon color cabal markings too tie it all together if you want.

- Done!

Fuuuuuuck this would have been perfect for my deathguard. Hmm, maybe I'll do it for my vehicles at least. Looks gorgeous!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Fake James posted:

Fuuuuuuck this would have been perfect for my deathguard. Hmm, maybe I'll do it for my vehicles at least. Looks gorgeous!

Like this ? Because that’s where I learnt how to do the weathering haha!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Here's the Scouts I painted up for Adpeticon. I had absolutely no fun painting them (outside the cloak, of course). Not really sure why, because I actually like the models and the final result!

Hell yeah. :pcgaming: Your Rainbow Warriors have been coming out really well and that technicolor camo cloak is fantastic. It's got some great transitions and I'm sure that'll look great applied to your HQs. Maybe pick up a robed marine for something and go whole hog? I also really like that you've got some old, metal scouts mixed in. They're just better models than the plastics. It's the heads.

SRM posted:

Because it was the cool thing to do like a week ago, I'm crossposting my Necromunda gang:

I was recently at a hamslam weekend with TheSexCannon, Buffalochicken, and a bunch of other hammy pals, and I was humbly reminded I need to up my photo game once someone else took pictures of my Goliaths:

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of these. :shobon:

Plain and simple: it's the armor. Everything else is good, especially the skin. I mean, you've even done some face paint. And that dude with the renderizer and poo poo-eating grin? He's great. But that brown armor is doing you no favors. If you wanted rusted, corroded metal, the new Slate Merdena would be a great example. Especially his hammer. There needs to be more metal showing through instead of a few streaks here and there. Leave the brown/orange rust to the recesses. Additionally, the oxide effect is way overdone. That stuff is best used sparingly and while I can see you kept it off of the iron(?) plates in favor of the brass(?) decorations, it's all over the place. You can barely tell what's supposed to be under it. It's not acting that well as a spot color which I'm sure is what you probably intended. They could really use something else. Maybe getting more clean metal on there would help, maybe they'd be better off with a chipped, degraded coat of paint on some of their armor plates. Hell, maybe be more aggressive with some metallic edge highlights.

Not trying to be rude here so please don't take it that way. I only wanted to give some honest, hopefully constructive criticism. You're a good painter and these guys don't seem up to your usual standard.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 8, 2018

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of these. :shobon:

Plain and simple: it's the armor. Everything else is good, especially the skin. I mean, you've even done some face paint. And that dude with the renderizer and poo poo-eating grin? He's great. But that brown armor is doing you no favors. If you wanted rusted, corroded metal, the new Slate Merdena would be a great example. Especially his hammer. There needs to be more metal showing through instead of a few streaks here and there. Leave the brown/orange rust to the recesses. Additionally, the oxide effect is way overdone. That stuff is best used sparingly and while I can see you kept it off of the iron(?) plates in favor of the brass(?) decorations, it's all over the place. You can barely tell what's supposed to be under it. It's not acting that well as a spot color which I'm sure is what you probably intended. They could really use something else. Maybe getting more clean metal on there would help, maybe they'd be better off with a chipped, degraded coat of paint on some of their armor plates. Hell, maybe be more aggressive with some metallic edge highlights.

Not trying to be rude here so please don't take it that way. I only wanted to give some honest, hopefully constructive criticism. You're a good painter and these guys don't seem up to your usual standard.

Hey, I appreciate the feedback! I'm trying out some new techniques on these guys based on the old Ogre Kingdoms studio scheme, but it's had me struggling with "is this too brown?" vs. "is this still in the color palette?" and I haven't been happy with any spot colors I mocked up. I think the oxide is overdone and I'm wishing I did a base color first, at least on the armor, before making the rust effect instead of just doing the rust effect for all the metals. I don't think I'm going to go back and redo these dudes, but when I do more (which will be soon) I'll try varying up the technique and breaking up the scheme.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Some drat fine modeling and painting these last few pages my friends. Good job all around.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 23, 2019

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Killer_Bees! posted:

Like this ? Because that’s where I learnt how to do the weathering haha!

Yep! I posted some of my test models previously and they are a little too clean, I'll probably try to apply some of your techniques to touch them up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Played my first game of 8th edition. As Tyranids I have a lot of learning to do with the assault phase, and then I got waffle stomped by Orks. Was not expecting 'da jump' to be repositioning entire units of boys, so lost the chance to get my charges in and had chaos in the back ranks. Might buy a unit or two of spore mines just to leave behind or nearby objectives for deep striking and jumping shenanigans.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Killer_Bees! posted:

- Done!

Those are some of the best looking dark eldar I've seen. Totally going to steal and modify your technique should I ever make an attempt at painting again (I probably wont, I hate the process, sea of grey forever).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have a small friendly meet and greet tournament coming up this Saturday at my local GW, and I'm torn between two different lists.

The rules are
-patrol only
-only rulebook stratagems, no codex
-4x4 table, 2 vs 2 with random teams
-500 points

Here are my two lists:

quote:

Death Guard
HQ:
-Plaguecaster with Pandemic Staff
-Putrescent Vitality

Troops:
-Plague Marines x9
-Plasma gun and Melta gun

Elites:
-Plague Surgeon

Fast Attack
-Blight Hauler

It's a basic buff the gently caress out of the Plague Marines list

quote:

Thousand Sons
HQ:
-Daemon Prince with Wings and Axe
-Aetherstride
-Dark Crystal
-diabolic strength and Warptime

Troops:
-Tzaangors x19 with blades and brayhorn

Elites:
-Tzaangor Shaman
-doombolt

Fast Attack:
-Tzaangor Enlightened with bows

-Chaos Spawn

The tactic for this one is to use the Crystal to teleport the tzaangors, warp time the Shaman closer to the Tzaangors, and try and get things into combat as fast as possible. The Enlightened serve as a mobile character screen.

What do you guys think in regard to which list seems more fun to play? So far I'm thinking that the Thousand Sons list might be more risky, but also potentially more fun. It suffers on the objective grabbing front though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

So I have a small friendly meet and greet tournament coming up this Saturday at my local GW, and I'm torn between two different lists.

The rules are
-patrol only
-only rulebook stratagems, no codex
-4x4 table, 2 vs 2 with random teams
-500 points

Here are my two lists:

What do you guys think in regard to which list seems more fun to play? So far I'm thinking that the Thousand Sons list might be more risky, but also potentially more fun. It suffers on the objective grabbing front though.

I'd say the DG list suffers more and it has less overall units. I would, especially since I'm a huge fan of them, recommend replacing the Plague Surgeon with a Foul Blightspawn instead and maybe drop the melta to pay for it. They are obscenely powerful, especially at low point values.

I agree your TS list is more interesting but risky. Typically in 2x2s one side tends to focus-fire down the big threat first and if you aren't careful the prince might be cleared off faster than you anticipate, especially if you're putting them into their faces.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
NOVA Goons, is anyone planning to go to the NOVA prep event at the Springfield GW store on the 19th of this month?

I'm thinking about it, but at the same time I'm worried that I might annoy some poor kid due to me having to re-learn my army and this game on his time.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can very technically get 4 ranks but I've never seen anyone try and pull that poo poo in real life.

I generally just 'house rule' with my opponent that two ranks for 32mm+ and 3 ranks for 25mm. We don't worry too much about trying to fit all the loving swords and claws together literally, just push em in close.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

NOVA Goons, is anyone planning to go to the NOVA prep event at the Springfield GW store on the 19th of this month?

I'm thinking about it, but at the same time I'm worried that I might annoy some poor kid due to me having to re-learn my army and this game on his time.

Is it just playing the tournament or something? My army isn't ready (LOL like it ever will be), but I think you should go.

Alternatively I might host a ham session at my house sometime this summer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

Bone Drukhari, cont.

Matte/satin varnished him.

Killer Bees, what is the recipe/approach for yours? I like how dingy they look.

This looks incredible but where's his Reaver helmet? 😋

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it just playing the tournament or something? My army isn't ready (LOL like it ever will be), but I think you should go.

I'm not sure, but I think its a chance to test out armies or something. Now that I think about it, I don't think I can finish enough dudes in time.

I do need to get some games in though. I just don't wanna be that guy at NOVA learning to play at a 2500pt night game.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You've been way too hard on yourself lately with regards to getting stuff painted up, Beer. Just keep plugging away on your Primaris stuff and you'll get there.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pendent posted:

You've been way too hard on yourself lately with regards to getting stuff painted up, Beer. Just keep plugging away on your Primaris stuff and you'll get there.

I agree with Pendent. Your stuff looks great dude, you'll get it done.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mango sentinel posted:

This looks incredible but where's his Reaver helmet? 😋

I have been trying to find one from ebay or FB. No luck.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

The last two months were pretty rough in terms of workload; I haven't finished anything since March. Fortunately the semester is finally over (I'm in a PhD program) and I'm dedicating myself back to getting painting done. I think once I get these Inceptors done I'll reward myself with an Armiger. I have some techniques planned that should reduce the build time significantly and, if they work well, will translate to getting a Knight done.

One thing I'm still debating is a color scheme to complement the Primaris guys.

I feel like the combination of purple and bone should stick with the Primaris guys, and for auxiliary forces (Knights for sure, long term likely Guard) I was thinking of using the bone and purple individually. So the question becomes who gets what? I'm leaning towards using the purple on the Knights, with possibly a bit of bone around the "collar" of the Armiger (the cowling around the head) so I can put a Regal Skulls logo in the center of it. Alternatively I could make the collar silver and have it match the edging of the other protective pieces (similar to how this one was done). The more I think about it the more I like the color blocking on this and think it would work well:

https://twitter.com/reaktorminis/status/980786742725955584

Replace the yellow and black with the same purple as the armor, apply a lighter silver for the edging and collar, use bone to highlight certain elements (like the skulls), and put a Regal Skulls logo right in the center of the collar. I think that would work well, what do you guys think?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of this list? I dropped my expensive HQ and troop options for dirt cheap Guard bodies. This allows me to bring a heavy spearhead of AdMech with some serious thump. I also get to bring a Knight.

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [71 PL, 1235pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Mars

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 240pts]

+ Elites +

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 160pts]: 10x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [36 PL, 550pts]
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 140pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 145pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [13 PL, 180pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Cadian

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Grand Strategist, Laspistol, Relic of Lost Cadia, Warlord

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Guardsman
. Sergeant: Laspistol

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [27 PL, 585pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Knight Crusader [27 PL, 585pts]: Avenger gatling cannon, Heavy flamer, Heavy stubber, Stormspear rocket pod
. Rapid-fire battle cannon w/ heavy stubber: Heavy stubber, Rapid-fire battle cannon

++ Total: [111 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Replace the yellow and black with the same purple as the armor, apply a lighter silver for the edging and collar, use bone to highlight certain elements (like the skulls), and put a Regal Skulls logo right in the center of the collar. I think that would work well, what do you guys think?

I think that'll look cool, but are you going to do all the armor purple? It might be too solid of a color block without a different color on the shoulderpads. The bone will help break it up with the collar, but you might want to add it into some more spots.

Also, what color are you going to do the skeleton? I think a brighter metal would look better than a dark one, to contrast with the dark purple.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EvilBeard posted:

What do you guys think of this list? I dropped my expensive HQ and troop options for dirt cheap Guard bodies. This allows me to bring a heavy spearhead of AdMech with some serious thump. I also get to bring a Knight.

Why is one Dunecrawler 140 points and the other 145?

I think it could be a lot of fun. Not sure how well it will survive assault, but the shooting would be pretty terrifying. Personally I like the thermal lance over the rapid fire battle cannon, especially since you have a hellacious amount of anti-horde with those Kastelans. I would worry about objective-based games, as a decent opponent would be able to eradicate your squads and likely be able to contest things fairly easily. I think what really matters is that it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why is one Dunecrawler 140 points and the other 145?

I think it could be a lot of fun. Not sure how well it will survive assault, but the shooting would be pretty terrifying. Personally I like the thermal lance over the rapid fire battle cannon, especially since you have a hellacious amount of anti-horde with those Kastelans. I would worry about objective-based games, as a decent opponent would be able to eradicate your squads and likely be able to contest things fairly easily. I think what really matters is that it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.

The extra Stubber is 5 points, and I'm at exactly 2000. If I went Thermal Cannon, I can add it in, but it's just testing right now. I figure flat damage wise, the extra shots vs the bigger damage and ap with the thermal are very close.

The thing is, I get much more firepower with this build by going with the cheaper bodies I actually get more models on the field. I'll see how these guys hold up. The admech infantry are just so expensive.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Beer, I would probably do the knights all in bone with maybe some purple accents(tilting plates and the like) . I think that much purple would be an awful lot, while the bone would help them stand out from the marines, plus be quicker to paint

E: or even paint the knight bone with green accents, or metallic green with bone accents.

Booley fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 8, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think that'll look cool, but are you going to do all the armor purple? It might be too solid of a color block without a different color on the shoulderpads. The bone will help break it up with the collar, but you might want to add it into some more spots.

Also, what color are you going to do the skeleton? I think a brighter metal would look better than a dark one, to contrast with the dark purple.

I was debating putting bone on the shoulder pads, but I don't want it to be a carbon copy of the Primaris look. I've seen some units that use the same color on the top and base and it looks viable, especially since the metal itself has some depth thanks to multiple washes and the inconsistent transparency of the underlying ink layer.

I was thinking of a dark metal skeleton, but I could see how that might be too dark. Maybe go with a bright metal, but if I do that will I run into a problem with the edging also being bright?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EvilBeard posted:

The extra Stubber is 5 points, and I'm at exactly 2000. If I went Thermal Cannon, I can add it in, but it's just testing right now. I figure flat damage wise, the extra shots vs the bigger damage and ap with the thermal are very close.

The thing is, I get much more firepower with this build by going with the cheaper bodies I actually get more models on the field. I'll see how these guys hold up. The admech infantry are just so expensive.

No, I agree it's a good approach. I was thinking something like Primaris might be a bit more survivable, but that's 500 points for a battalion instead of 180.

Booley posted:

Beer, I would probably do the knights all in bone with maybe some purple accents(tilting plates and the like) . I think that much purple would be an awful lot, while the bone would help them stand out from the marines, plus be quicker to paint

E: or even paint the knight bone with green accents, or metallic green with bone accents.

The purple is fairly quick to paint on surfaces like that. There's some edging but otherwise it's mostly airbrushing and washing. I don't think I want to add another color into the palette unless I really need to.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was debating putting bone on the shoulder pads, but I don't want it to be a carbon copy of the Primaris look. I've seen some units that use the same color on the top and base and it looks viable, especially since the metal itself has some depth thanks to multiple washes and the inconsistent transparency of the underlying ink layer.

I was thinking of a dark metal skeleton, but I could see how that might be too dark. Maybe go with a bright metal, but if I do that will I run into a problem with the edging also being bright?

It might look a little too similar - what you could do is just do a light wash or a different color for the skeleton. Maybe wash it with Agrax Earthshade instead of a dark wash? That'd give it a different tone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

It might look a little too similar - what you could do is just do a light wash or a different color for the skeleton. Maybe wash it with Agrax Earthshade instead of a dark wash? That'd give it a different tone.

That might be worth trying. Or maybe a mix of black and blue if I went with purple armor, since that could give a really interesting complementary color to the purple and evoke something close to a blued steel. Another option would be to go in a completely different direction and maybe do a reddish copper or brass.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Someone posted some purple and gold Wraiths a few weeks ago in this thread. They looked pretty good, maybe he could repost them? Could be good inspiration

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do it. Been too long since the last hamslam. And I need practice playing 40k while drunk for Nova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

I have been trying to find one from ebay or FB. No luck.

Yeah they're in high demand, any time I see them they're like $3-4 a piece.